Start by marking “Cecilia House” as Want to Read:
Cecilia House

Cecilia House

Life is a precious gift and it can change within the blink of an eye, something Patricia discovered at a young age. After an extremely tragic event her loving family, good friends and many dreams and aspirations were all gone. An unwanted child sent to what was supposed to be a place of lovingness and warmth. Instead she soon discovered that those responsible for her care ...more
Published September 28th 2019 by Xlibris

To ask other readers questions about Cecilia House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cecilia House

Start your review of Cecilia House
Janet
When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them
Anne Mellar
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cecilia House is a fictional exposé into the real-life historic abuse suffered by children at the hands of institutions. The main character, Patricia, is a small city girl with big-time dreams. Yet after a series of violent and tragic events that show that ‘life can change in an instant’, she is forced to surrender control of her destiny to dark institutional forces.

Cecilia House chronicles Patricia’s downward spiral when she enters the institutional system. Sent to a Catholic boarding school,
Katrina Alby
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am probably one of the most unbiased people in the world but when it comes to books that I feel do harm to the church I get very angry. I shouldn't have read Cecilia House but I did and despite my anger and discontent over the overall theme of it I will provide an unbiased review.
I love the 1930s, the fashion the people and the cars and in the beginning I felt myself in that time period. Patricia was a nice girl despite doing something that every teenager does.

As it progresses the group of 3
Kivalina Mauck
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written book. Life is a precious gift and nobody know this more now but Pat.Pat was in a bad car wreck that kills her parents and big Sister . She spends a very long time in hospital. When they let her out they take her to this home forunwanted children and orphans. Its called Ceicilia House. Nuns run it. She can no longer see her best friend or her new friend Cath. Cath she had met through her best friend Wendy. But Wendy's father murdered her . Cath helps Gladys and Pat through Wendys dea ...more
Clazzzer C
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cecilia House was a really tough read but I knew it would be so before I read the first chapter. Patricia was a likeable character which made the reading of this book even more difficult, not that anybody on this earth, regardless of character, behaviour or actions, would have to endure the torment and sufferings that those poor residents of Cecilia House had to endure. I read on picturing her and her young friends, and the many more young boys and girls who suffered at the hands of those with w ...more
Doris Vandruff
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three young girls are best friends. They do everything together. They play in their treehouse, they go to school together, they share their lives. They promise each other to he friends forever. They decide they will grow up and travel together. That is their dream.
As life goes on their lives change. Tragic and unfortunate things happen in their lives.
Pat, one of the three girls dies. Her daughter finds her diary about her life and things that had happened during her life. She is horrified! She n
Yvonne Starc
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A distressing read but one that I could not put down. The beginning of the story takes you back to a much simpler time. I loved the innocent yet semi rebellious nature of the girls and as the story goes on the more you want to keep reading. Any violence involving children is hard to read and the main character draws what strength she had to try and help others in her situation.
I thought the style of which this is written added to the overall disturbing nature of this book. From so many injustic
Neil Broas
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are two separate kind of feelings with regards to this book. You love and care for the main character and you want to kill certain other characters. Cecilia House deals with the abuse of children so be warned before reading it. One of the previous reviews stated it was brave of the author to write this and yes it was.

Patricia leads us through the entire book, from her loving family life through the abuse of her and others and finally her pursuit of justice. If this had been written differ
Susan
Mar 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a horror story of what happens to a young woman when her entire family is killed in a car accident. As the lone survivor, her life becomes one unending unspeakable horror. That is the gist of the story.

I would not recommend this book to anyone. I’m astonished that I stuck with it as long as I did., naively hoping things would change for the better. The writing is flat, as are the characters. I had high hopes for this book, which, alas, were dashed.

I received this book as an ARC fr
Zena Horvat-Jenkins
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
From a relatively quiet life in the 1930s to a life of pain and suffering. I know many reviews online said this is not for the fainthearted and they were right. In saying that I have read the authors previous two books and with all his historical fiction his writing style has always been different. I loved Patricia the books main character. All of it is written from her own perspective and this adds to the shock and horror of what she and others experienced.
Like his previous book this is writte
Lura
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cecilia House by Simon Gandossi is a thorough and thought-provoking page-turner. This book provides a glimpse into a life that most of us will never know, and it’s an inspiring story of one girl’s struggle to survive and change her future and the helpless children around her. The author’s willingness to expose such candid and innate evil, allows the reader to become wholly connected to each character. Don’t pass this book by!
Alexis Roberts
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Came across this on Amazon looking for Australian authors and I am not sure why there is such negativity surrounding it. It is difficult to say I enjoyed it because of the actual storyline. It is a unique writing style that follows the authors 2nd book. I appreciate a book that makes you want to keep reading and I would consider this book that. The characters we were well developed and even though I knew what was going to happen I thought each chapter flowed nicely which in turn has provided a c ...more
Cynthia James
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some books you forget right away and some stay with you, this was the latter. Anything that revolves around the abuse of children is upsetting to read but it is also important to read. Cecilia house is definitely important to read so to understand what abused children went through so many years ago. It was horrifying and I could not put it down.
Jason Gilbert
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that makes you stop and think about how society and peoples compassion has changed over the years. It starts off by giving us a great insight about life in the late 1930s just prior to WW2. This was done very well and I could easily picture in my head the city they lived in. The strong bond between the young girls was inspiring yet very sad. The characters are so well created and the story-line flows wonderfully. Today we could never imagine such a thing happening to c ...more
Jacqueline Spenger
Loved this book! I have read stories about these homes and the abuse the children received. It is horrifying and I am glad someone wrote a good book about it. Well written. I read it in a day, did not want to put it down!
#CeciliaHouse #NetGalley
Anne Marie
This was such a.hard to read book for me because of the abuse. With everything this young woman went through then thrown into a”prison” run by nuns. I do caution the readers this may bring up the past for the abused.

I received this copy from Netgalley and BookGoSocial for my honest review.
Maudaevee
I think with a little trimming, editing and refining, this would be an excellent story. As it was, I felt it was just okay. It took a long, repetitive while to get going and by then I was not as sympathetic to Pat as I should of been, due to the long windup being a tad too tedious.
Melanie Lyons
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a hard book to read because it involves the abuse of children. The way it progresses from a simple yet happy family life to something so horrible and upsetting was done slowly yet brilliantly.
Amy
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Celcilia House was an interesting story and worth reading. I am giving three and a half stars. I would love to see what else this author writes.
Christine
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The main character of the story, Pat describes her really sad and tragic time after the loss of her parents. She stays in a catholic orphanage where she experiences all sorts of traumatic events.
Jacqui Harrison
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I came across this online after watching a documentary on a similar subject matter. Cecilia House was an outstanding read. I fell in love with the main character right away. This story really got to me and I was left feeling outraged and upset at what she went through. This will stay with me for a very long time.

I thought this was very well written, from the very first page you are drawn into the main characters world. Without giving too much away one of many things I loved about it was the clo
Stefania Fiorentini
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Third book i read by this author. As usual a great reading. Once more he drives us in a delicate and difficult topic with his powerful writing. The well described characters and the realistic dialogues help the reader live the story in first person. I love it. Good work Simon!
Beverly
Jodie Bauer
Mar 29, 2020
Doris
Oct 14, 2019

• If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Elixir of Immortality and the Whore of Babylon (Beyond the Veil of Propaganda #2)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • Into the Woods
  • The First 100 Days of Your Book: Book Marketing for Self-Published Authors
  • Positive Thoughts Positive Outcomes: Master the Fourteen Principles to Transform Your Life
  • Life in a Faceless World: Based on the lost and found diary of a girl named Nila
  • Hornswoggled at Hell Creek
  • Plague of Witches
  • The Naiyro and the Beckoning Eroded Stone
  • Imagine: How Creativity Works
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Hysteria (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #2)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Forbidden Promise
  • Honeycake: Special Magical Powers
  • Masks
  • Not Dead
Simon Gandossi is a historical fiction author who was born and raised in Western Australia. From an early age, Simon discovered a passion for history and writing. It is that passion combined with his desire to bring to light the different aspects of the past that makes him a unique writer. There are a lot of people who give up so much to follow their dreams, and Simon is no different. To become a ...more

News & Interviews