Start by marking “The Forgotten Man” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Man

The Forgotten Man

**FOR READERS OF SCHINDLER’S LIST and
THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS**

Comes a historical fiction short story with an important message for us all

The holocaust, a historically unprecedented assault against an entire ethnic group: the Jews of Europe. For the next 20 years after the war at least until the late 1960s and early ‘70s there was little, if any discussion about what
Kindle Edition
Published April 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Man

Start your review of The Forgotten Man
Avid reader
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ww2, holocaust, shoah
*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

The Forgotten Man had me at the title. I have a weak spot for WWII historical fiction and the promise of a short story concerning survivors of the Holocaust just sounded so intriguing and I am very grateful to have received an arc copy. The Forgotten Man is a fictitious story but is based on some true events concerning a Mauthausen survivor.

The writing flows and is easy to read. The a
Michelle
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of historical fiction war stories and this light read is dedicated to the memory of those who could not tell their stories. Although a work of fiction it is such a poignant moving tale of a survivor based on true events. I really felt for Henri and his story and what a powerful message we should all be listening to!

Bookgirl Book Blogger
We honor history by remembering it. Though a difficult subject, I wanted it to continue. I think readers interested in fiction stories about the second world war might be drawn to this read-in-one-sitting short story; a kind of memoir blended into a short mystery with an important message. Some parts were hard to read but I really enjoyed it and the moral of the story.
Erin
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just finished this story and I read it in one sitting. Even though she the author explains that the story is fictionalized, this book does have some very important historical facts throughout and I would definitely without a doubt say it is a recommended wonderful read.
Dorian
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you for the arc version of The Forgotten Man.
I had some conflicting feelings reading this short story and I find it hard to review this type of book because it's like a memoir of Henri tied up in a fiction story. I did however really enjoy it and the author is on point with her message.
Arthur Pap
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5* I wanted it to continue.
Maureen
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have always been enthralled with stories of concentration camps.
My father was a holocaust survivor and the idea that this was even allowed to happen sickens me. This is a short story with a very apt title "The Forgotten Man" because survivors are now forgotten! The author's storytelling is based on true events and well written and engaging. I felt myself feeling saddened for Henri in that he "couldn't live". Such a powerful message is depicted in this little read and I am grateful I read it th
Susan
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lightweight rendition of a heavy subject.
Duncan
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, I must admit to thoroughly enjoying this very poignant short story and I found it even more touching due to it being based on true events.
I'm sure there weren't many happy endings with the concentration camps and even though there were survivors "it doesn't mean they could live" - what an apt quotation.
I liked the characters and the reminder of the disturbing history of the concentration camps. All in all, a great read and left me wanting more!
Julie Jones
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read
John Le
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story capturing the darker atmosphere of the sixties as a DCI interviews a survivor from Mauthausen. A well constructed and an intriguing read.
Andrew Page
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it.
E.J. WOOD
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Why did I write THE FORGOTTEN MAN?

Many books about war have been written by veterans and have largely been autobiographical and been heavily disguised as fiction such as Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse Five. Beneath the jovial feelings that writing brings me, it has over the years also provided a kind of therapy. I’ve always had a fascination with World War II survivors and their experiences; as a child I would listen to the tales of my family who are now long gone and be mesmerised how they saw
Greta Halliday
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Sorry but this book was not for me.
Glyn Owen
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Ben Ben
Dianne
The subject matter 1 3 Jul 28, 2020 01:21AM

• Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Broadcast
  • 20 minutes around the bonfire (20 minutes, #7)
  • My Teenage Dream Ended
  • Influence: A Social Media Thriller (Influencing Trilogy Book 1)
  • 20 Minutes Around The Bonfire (20 Minute Series Book 7)
  • 20 Minutes Before Christmas (20 Minute Series Book 8)
  • Before and After
  • Emergency Skin
  • Randomize
  • The Last Conversation
www.ejwoodauthor.com

She's just a storyteller!

E.J. Wood is a thriller writer from England.
Although British born, she now resides in Spain, speaks English and Spanish and is currently learning German.

Wood's debut psychological thriller, Beyond the Pale introduces Dr. Amelia Sharpe, a Forensic Pathologist who falls in love with the handsome neighbour next door, but not all is as it seems. How fa