Start by marking “The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  140,103 Ratings  ·  4,810 Reviews
Dear Customer,

This story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire orphans spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle. But don't be fooled.

The three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odour, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a large brass reading lamp, and the reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I have made a sol
Audio CD, Unabridged Retail Edition, 3 pages
Published September 9th 2003 by Listening Library (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Reptile Room, please sign up.

Jess Yes. I don't know what these other people are trying to tell you, but the world is very hard for orphans.
Kelly Pontes I feel like all the ones we've read to date are a similar formula and style. I don't love the series and it is quite morbid and violent for children…moreI feel like all the ones we've read to date are a similar formula and style. I don't love the series and it is quite morbid and violent for children (people die vs being incapacitated or having silly accidents) but my son (9) does so we are chugging through them for our bedtime reading. I like the way they weave definitions of advanced vocabulary into the story, which allows my younger child to also listen in. I am also glad Sunny's vocab is evolving. Not sure why she didn't make sounds similar to the words she intended in the first place... (less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
*I'm not going to rate this, because I've already read this book & stand by my first rating of it.

Even though I've read this series before & I know how unfortunate this story is, it was hard to remember all the details & everything the Baudelaire orphans go through. It seems that every time they're shown a glimmer of hope, it's taken away from them. The relationship between the siblings is incredibly beautiful. They make an unstoppable team & they each pull their weight when nee
Kat O'Keeffe
These are fast reads, and I'm really invested in the overarching story, but I know I would've liked these so much more as a kid! As an adult they're enjoyable--they're darker than expected, and there's enough cleverness throughout to keep me engaged. But I'm finding myself frustrated with some aspects, like the communication failures between the kids and the adults, and the constant defining of words, which is sometimes really fun, but at other times just feels patronizing.

Overall, though, I am
Riley
Apr 05, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Cait (Paper Fury)
As the good little fan of Lemony Snicket I am, I've decided to reread THEM ALL because I'm watching the Netflix show. And by "good little fan" here I mean "a rabidly obsessed grape who is flailing unnaturally enthusiastically at all hours because loves this series so much."

So this is a reread! I was about 13 when I was first reading this series! And 10 years later and I still adore it to pieces!

Although I admit this one isn't as good as the first one, just because Violet's invention was a really
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I love this book a lot more than the first one. I think the first book is just introduction to characters, and this one Violet especially begins to establish herself as a character which I LOVE. Also, this one remains one of the most upsetting. I'm excited to see some of these moments play out in the show (which we can now watch?? Oh my god??) because I think they have the potential to be really fun to see on screen. Onto book 3!
Mark Lawrence
May 15, 2014 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I liked this book better than the first just because I loved how Uncle Monty was with the kids. Uncle Monty was a great character too. But alas . . .

And I adored Sunny's relationship with the Incredibly Deadly Viper! The end was sad of course!
Josu
Mar 05, 2017 Josu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-1-marzo
Una notable mejora respecto al primero.

En La habitación de los reptiles (¡que por fin se están publicando en español de nuevo!) podemos encontrar aparte de una edición preciosa y que te dan ganas de abrazar, una historia más compleja que la primera parte de esta saga.

Mi mayor queja respecto a la primera entrega fue que los conflictos sucedían demasiado rápido, que no apenas había tensión dramática y que el mundo se quedaba sin definir. Sin embargo, en esta segunda entrega todas las cosas de las
Matteo Fumagalli
VIDEORECENSIONE:

"La morte di una persona casa è una strana cosa. Noi tutti sappiamo che il nostro tempo in questo mondo è limitato, e che alla fine ci ritroveremo tutti sotto un lenzuolo per non rialzarci più. E tuttavia è sempre una sorpresa quando succede a qualcuno che conosciamo. È come quando saliamo le scale al buio per andare a casa e pensiamo che ci sia un altro gradino, e invece non c'è. Il piede ricade pesantemente nell'aria, e c'è un momento di spiacevole s
Kate (GirlReading)
This series is already frustrating me so much. Why does no one listen to the kids? How is Mr. Poe allowed any responsibility? How is Mr. Poe so entirely incompetent? How can I stop becoming physically tense with infuriation every time Mr. Poe is mentioned?
Will these kids ever get a break?
Is the next book going to terrify me half to death like the movie did? (It's the leeches isn't it? It has to be the leeches. I'm certain the leeches must be coming...) I'm infuriated, addicted and loving it. I
Kennia
Dec 07, 2013 Kennia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Amber Robertson
These books are such fast reads! They also take me back to when I first read them in my last year of primary school, when life was much easier. However, reading the unfortunate events of Sunny, Klaus and Violet's life always makes my life a little better - as horrific as that is.

The children face yet again more trials in The Reptile Room, while fearing Count Olaf. There is no foreshadowing as the author tells you directly who is going to die etc.

Ultimately, these books are just fast reads and
Jan 16, 2017 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2017, childrens
3.5ish Stars.

I was actually liking this one a lot more than the first one right up until the unfortunate event. The unfortunate event was indeed unfortunate but that's not what made me stop liking it as much. I felt it got kind of boring and it dragged out. I did still love the writing and the majority of the storytelling though.

What I found interesting though is how this Lemony Snicket storyteller keeps explaining words to his readers when in the story the adults do it but the children always
Brendon Schrodinger
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
Vanz
Jan 15, 2017 Vanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.3

An improvement compared to the first book, although it was basically the same life lessons. This was another quick read and I really loved the storyline of this one. Violet once again shows her cunning knowledge in tools and devices, Klaus's bookish personality saved their lives, and the adorable Sunny is still that too-mature-to-be-an-infant baby. Count Olaf's Stephano disguise was really funny and ridiculous as well! (view spoiler)
Coreen ♥ (AsThePlotThickens)
"If one's safety is threatened, one often finds courage one didn't know one had."

I like this book better than the first one. Count Olaf took the next step in pursuing the Baudelaire's treasure and it was fun!
I can't help but be frustrated when no one believes the children even though they were telling the truth, but where's the fun if they did believe them right away, right?
Violet, Kalaus and Sunny are one of a kind, their sibling bond is so sturdy and I don't think any unfortunate events ca
Mohammed Arabey
It's a cool, cloudy gray grim day...
It's 25th January.. well..it reminds me with the event that triggered all the Series of Unfortunate Events, that increased for many of us lately...
One of them, I read this book now in ebook format.. since all the book stores increased the prices cause of foreign currency crisis.. The book store that used to give us huge discounts as source of happiness for many changed its policy dramatically.. and other one closed all branches in my city...

Well, as I said i
Dannii Elle
“How did you do that?” Mr. Poe asked. “Nice girls shouldn’t know how to do such things.”
“My sister is a nice girl,” Klaus said, “and she knows how to do all sorts of things.”
Carmen
Dec 06, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Richard Denney
Mar 11, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Lesley
Aug 16, 2009 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For anyone who isn't familiar with Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, it's a 13 part children's book series that follows the lives of the three Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny after their parents perish in a fire that destroyed their family home. Cheerful right? Honestly, it's wonderful.

The story is told from the narrative perspective of Lemony Snicket. The concept, the literary devices, the language used are all wholly unique to me. The fact that Daniel Handler create
♚ luхєmвurgєrs ♚
There are so many things I could say about this book but I think I'll start with one thing at a time. Honestly, the series isn't bad or anything. I mean it's definitely different than a typical series for kids but I'm not sure if that makes it good or not.

So in his book the children are placed with Dr. Montgomery and things seem to be going smoothly. But as always, bad things happen and they are forced to get away from the guy that's after their money.
I wasn't all that surprised with how thing
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 Ashley Daviau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I distinctly remember this book being my favourite out of the whole series as a child and after rereading it, that has definitely proven to be true! But I couldn't really tell you why it's my favourite, it just grabs me like no other in the series did! I just love the Baudelaires and how each of them are so unique yet complement each other so well in escaping Olaf time after time. I'm truly enjoying my reread of this series so much and with two books down and eleven to go, I'm already dreading m ...more
Kira Simion
I've read these out of order and only remember some things of a few. Shhhhh.
Tfitoby
Mar 26, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Rebecca McNutt
Another fabulous albeit dark edition to the A Series of Unfortunate Events collection! The "this book is always going to be depressing and sad" thing gets a little gimmicky at this point, but still a modern classic in every sense of the word.
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A retread of the last book, but with a less interesting, though kinder, caretaker for the forlorn Baudelaire orphans.
Brian 9 ¾ (The Book Monster)
“...in life it is often the tiny details that end up being the most important.”

The Reptile Room is the second book in the well-known series A Series of Unfortunate Event written by Lemony Snicket. The Book tells the story of the three iconic characters, Violet, Klaus and Sunny, as they escorted by Mr Poe to live with their new Legal guardian named Dr Montgomery (Uncle Monty). However, same faith happens once again to Baudelaire Children when Stefano (Count Olaf in disguise) arrives in an a
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 39 226 Nov 28, 2015 07:04AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • The Landry News
  • Dizzy
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • Aliens Don't Wear Braces (Bailey School Kids #7)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1119 likes