Start by marking “Where Carrion Gods Dance” as Want to Read:
Where Carrion Gods Dance

Where Carrion Gods Dance

The ground here is ancient, its dark soil rich with blood and marrow, its trees swaying in diseased wind. The air is cool even in summer and sunlight never touches the earth. Birds speak here, as do the things wriggling through the dirt. Be careful, now, for what they say has broken stronger minds than yours. Step through, child. Dont be afraid. Were all here, and weve ...more
Published October 15th 2019 by Washington Park Press

To ask other readers questions about Where Carrion Gods Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Carrion Gods Dance

Start your review of Where Carrion Gods Dance
Eva
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*** Review copy received from the author in exchange for an honest review ***

Brad C. Hodson is one of the hidden gems of the horror genre. He has written long fiction and short fiction, and this new collection of his short stories is perfect timing for Halloween to hopefully introduce him to some new readers as well as to satisfy his established readership.

Trigger warnings: Before we get started, I feel it's necessary to include trigger warnings about: violence (especially against children),
Eric Miller
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hodson does it again

I've been a big fan of Brad Hodson's writing for quite a while, both his short fiction and long-form work like his novel "Darling," and this book collects some of his best shorter works in a terrific package. If you like dark fiction, do yourself a favor and give this book a try.
Marco Wolf
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best fiction collections I've read in a long while. The stories perfectly encapsulate how horror is a genre best used to explore personal themes. Most here are variations on loss, though there are some standout stories dealing with sexual obsession and aggression gone wrong. I was also happy to read two or three stories with queer protagonists that treated them with realism and respect rather than shine a light on their sexuality to appear all woke. Most importantly for a ...more
Zachary
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With a lot of horror stories I feel that they always try too hard to be scary. This isn't the case with Where Carrion Gods Dance. Every story in here feels natural, and thats what I look for in any form of writing. Where Carrion Gods Dance feels very natural with the narration, which made me enjoy it even more.
Rude Gurl
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up for two nights straight. I couldn't stop reading the stories inside. Some are tragic, some are darkly comedic, but all ooze atmosphere. "Almost," "Picked Last," and "The Scottish Play" are the ones that made me turn all the lights on. So creepy! "The Other Patrick" nearly made me cry. If you're a fan of short horror stories, pick this one up. You won't be sorry you did!
Joseph Maddrey
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
For me, the most affecting horror stories are those with an element of sadness. The first half of this collection revolves around characters that are haunted, but not necessarily haunted in the obvious way by traditional "ghosts." Instead, the characters and the stories themselves are haunted by something more abstract: memories of loss and loss of control. There's a pervasive tone of sadness that I found to be sincere and moving.

About halfway through the collection -- beginning with the story
Alex
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I was attracted to this one by the compelling cover. I really like the dynamic movement of the dancing skeletons, and the texture that allows a dreamlike quality. Im not sure how to feel about the storytelling in this collection after reading Introduction: Dumpster Stories. The story told in the front half of this nonfiction essay was excellent: interesting characters, great details, well paced, and taut tension. Then the back half was full of philosophizing that stopped the storytelling dead. ...more
Eric Guignard
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
REVIEWED: Where Carrion Gods Dance
WRITTEN BY: Brad C. Hodson
PUBLISHED: October, 2019

Ive enjoyed author Brad C. Hodsons short fiction for years now, so reading this collection was a pleasant mix of revisiting favorite tales from the past, as well as discovering new gems. Some of my favorites were Il Donnaiolo, Breathe, Thousandth Hell, and The Other Patrick (which was very sweet, dark yet satisfying). Great collection overall.

Five out of Five stars

Teri Ciulla
Feb 15, 2020
Ashley
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2020

• Lady Bits
  • The Water Dancer
  • Full Throttle
  • American Psycho
  • How to Be Less Stupid About Race: On Racism, White Supremacy, and the Racial Divide
  • Air & Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Seven Deadliest
  • Eve: A Christmas Short Horror Story
  • Run
  • Strange Planet
  • Certain Dark Things
  • Tales of the Lost: Volume 1 - We all Lose Something!
  • Hearthstone Cottage
  • Williams' Gang:  A Notorious Slave Trader and His Cargo of Black Convicts
Originally from Knoxville, TN, writer Brad C. Hodson currently hangs his hat in sunny Southern California. A former stand-up comedian, he also founded an award winning sketch comedy group and has been published in several national magazines.

He's the recipient of the Roselle Lewis Award for Excellence in Short Fiction and the Kornbluh Award for non-fiction, as well as several screenwriting awards.

News & Interviews