Start by marking “The Love Study: An LGBTQ Romcom” as Want to Read:
The Love Study: An LGBTQ Romcom

The Love Study: An LGBTQ Romcom

(The Love Study #1)

What happens when the search for the perfect date goes perfectly wrong?

Don’t miss this charming romantic comedy from critically acclaimed author Kris Ripper.

Declan has commitment issues. He’s been an office temp for literally years now, and his friends delight in telling people that he left his last boyfriend at the altar.

And that’s all true. But he’s starting to think
ebook
Published September 29th 2020 by Carina Press (first published September 28th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Study, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Study

Start your review of The Love Study: An LGBTQ Romcom
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I was very excited to try The Love Study by Kris Ripper, but it took me over two weeks to force myself to finish so, alas, I've concluded that it just isn't the story for me.

I've read a number of stories by Kris Ripper, and I appreciate zir writing an own voices romance with a genderqueer MC. There are not many romance books with genderqueer characters, so it's very excited when I find one and get to try one out. However, I really wished I loved this and found it as funny as it was trying to be
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
THIS REALLY JUST WASN'T MY CUP OF TEA

When I requested this book from Netgalley it was with so much hope for a great, diverse and inclusive read. Well, it was diverse and inclusive. But for me, it was not great. I think this might just be my personal preference and others might enjoy it. However, I certainly didn't...

👍 What I Liked 👍

Queer: I absolutely loved how inclusive this was! It was queer in all the best ways, featuring pansexuals, bisexuals, non-binary and gender-fluid characters. It was
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
The Love Study is the first in a new series by Kris Ripper, and another title in Carina's queer Adores line. My previous encounters with Adores titles have been mixed, but this one was unequivocally lovely. Sharp, quick dialogue and the dry wit of the narrator, Declan, combined with slow-build angst to make a sweet, thoughtful HEA, with plenty of adorableness along the way.

Declan is a "commitmentphobe", in all aspects of his life. Among his friends he's notorious for abandoning his last boyfrie
Trio
The characters in Kris Ripper’s novel The Love Study are unique and complex, and just plain wonderful. Leave it to Kris Ripper to write something so wholly original, poignant, and thoughtful. The Love Study made me smile, and sometimes that’s all it takes to affirm my faith in the power of love, right when I need it most!

There hasn’t been a character who affected me quite as powerfully as Sidney in a very long time. Doing their best to thrive, they’ve created a safe place where they fit into the
Maria
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction, lgbtq
*3.5

Thank you Harelquin Teen Publicity for a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the representation in this book, and our main character Declan was super quirky and super hilarious!

Although I enjoyed the book, I just think some of the dialogue was a little juvenile for our characters who are in their mid to late twenties, and it did get repetitive at times for me.

A quick read, and a good book to add to your TBR!
Larry H
Mar 03, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Sometimes what you’re looking for is right in front of you and you just don’t see it. That's at the crux of Kris Ripper's The Love Study .

Declan’s last relationship ended when he left his boyfriend at the altar. It’s not something he’s particularly proud of in any way, but it’s the one thing his best friends say when they introduce him to everyone.

Since then, he hasn’t dated. (Would you?) But maybe it’s time to look for something more than just hookups. So when he meets Sidney, the
❦ jazmin
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Dec, romance is… paying attention. You know? It’s listening and sharing and enjoying each other."

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of The Love Study in exchange for an honest review.

To start off with the characters in this book, I loved Declan! He was awkward in a funny way and had hilarious thoughts that we got to experience because this book is in first person. His nervous rambling was relatable and made me connect with his character.

”Have you ever cosplayed before?” Sid
Ⓐlleskelle - That ranting lady ッ
This sounds positively CUTE. I NEED!
Zoe
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars (rounded up)

Cute, funny, and entertaining!

The Love Study is a charming rom-com featuring the quirky, awkward Declan who’s struggling with the pressures of full-time commitment, and the non-binary, YouTuber Sidney who isn’t interested in a relationship of his own but who's excited to make a weekly show about the ins and outs of dating in the genderqueer world.

The characters are witty, hesitant, and likeable. The writing is honest and insightful. And the plot is a push-pull tale of tensi
W.
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The Love Study is a cute, fun and entertaining queer romance about two Millennials.

My first book with non-binary, gender queer people. I feel , after reading this book , I have a better understanding (still need to learn much more) into this area of LGBTQ .

I think this story would be perfect for High School age teenagers . There lots of emphasis in opening up and talking about ones feelings . The romance part is about the relationship and friendship instead of the sexual aspect of it. By the w
Anniek
I loved this book so much! It was funny and comforting, which was exactly what I needed right now, but it also resonated with me a lot. I loved the genderqueer representation. But what I loved most, and what I could really relate to, being aromantic, is that a (romantic) relationship shouldn't have to look the same for everyone. It's something that can be molded to what the people in the relationship need from it. It's something you get to define for yourself.

CWs: anxiety, panic attacks, mention
Rach
Oct 05, 2020 added it
DNF

I couldn’t get into this book at the moment. So I putting it to one side and maybe will come back to it in the future.

I received a ARC from Netgalley and HARLEQUIN - Carina Press for an objection review.
Kim
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I am so torn on The Love Study by Kris Ripper. I really loved the fast pace of the dialogue when the MF’s group gets together, along with all of their snark and how they hold each other accountable and feel comfortable calling each other out. I felt a kinship with Declan since I often talk in tangents and say awkward things.

But I just couldn’t get over how for a bunch of people in their late 20’s and Sydney being mid-20’s (at least that’s what I gathered) act like a bunch of junior high kids. An
Kazen

Sure, The Love Study has a sweet couple whose romance I enjoy, but the way it examines the nature of love is even better.

First the setup - Declan abandoned his last boyfriend at the altar and has avoided dating for years, thinking that relationships are beyond him. His heart has healed in the meantime, though, and he might be ready to try meeting people again.

Enter Sidney. They're a relationship advice YouTuber looking to start a new video series - The Love Study - and Declan is the per
Pam
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just love Kris Ripper. I'm always looking for more light-hearted romances that still contain plenty of depth, which seems to be a hard ask. I want sweetness and feels, but I want you to make me think at the same time. And Ripper's books always engage my brain in interesting ways.

I have almost nothing in common with either of these MCs -- who are of a distinctly different generation than me, although this book showcased it in a way that made me smile *for* them, not laugh *at* them, which was a
Yna the Mood Reader
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? LGBT Contemporary Romance.
📚 POV? Dual.
📚 Cliffhanger? No.

Overall thoughts:
We’re back with another beautiful Carina Press read. The Love Study is my first venture with a non-binary lead and I am always up for books like this that allow me to learn more things about the LGBT spectrum that I did not know before. The Love Study gave me a sweet story that did not overwh
Caitlyn Lynch
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m trying to step out of my ‘comfort zone’ of m/f romances and I am so glad I chanced to see this one and request to give it a try. It’s the first m/gq romance I’ve had an opportunity to read and I really, really enjoyed it. (Note, I’m not saying nonbinary or enby because Sidney explicitly states that they identify as genderqueer rather than nonbinary).

Declan, the first-person protagonist, is a queer white man with a major romantic disaster in his past - he literally left his last boyfriend at
Joana V.
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Review originally published at Romancing Romances.

I received an eARC at no cost from the publisher, and I am leaving a voluntary and honest review. Thank you.

2.75*

Although this is a 2.75* stars review, I feel like I should make a few distinctions, and mention a few things. First of all, I’m not queer/part of the LGBTQIA+ community. I do, however, have very good friends who are. Second, I feel like the story of the book and the meaning of the book almost deserve different ratings (intellectual ch
Becky Baldridge
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
The Love Study is a cute, amusing romance with a pretty low angst level, which I appreciated greatly. Life is angsty enough during this crazy pandemic, so a bit lighthearted romance is definitely a good thing. That said, I feel like this one is better suited to older teens and young adults than myself. That didn't keep me from enjoying the story, but Declan felt more juvenile than I would've expected and that gave it a younger vibe to me. There are also some good points explored in this one, inc ...more
Nadia
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Love Study was about a YouTube queer dating show led by Sidney (non-binary) to help Declan (queer cis male) figure out want he wanted in a relationship since he had a hard time with one. Sidney set Declan up with weekly dates and he reported back his experience each week, The dates were a bit confusing to me. I didn’t understand the purpose behind them. Clearly the relationship between Sidney and Declan had a stronger connection than the dates. I enjoyed their dynamic in every scene. They were a ...more
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
3.5🌟 Declan, who has been an office temp for years, has commitment issues. He left his ex boyfriend at the alter. His friends will not let it go. After 6 years they still talk about it! He is starting to feel the need to work on his issues, finally! He meets Sidney, a non-binary YouTuber with an advice show. As part of The Love Study, he goes on a series of dates and then reports back to Sidney on the next show. He just isn't feeling these people he's going on dates with. He doesn't know why, bu ...more
Rox
Alas, the marriage contagion, once limited to heterosexuals, has now infected the queers as well.

This book was hella queer and i was 100% there for it.
I adored the friendship dynamic of the MF's and how unconditionally they loved each other. Sidney was definitely my favourite - i loved how thoughtful and insightful they were, it was a really nice contrast to how brash and impulsive some of the other (Declan) characters were.
Even though i definitely owe Declan a smack or two, it was a really cu
Melinda
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so cute, queer AF, just a big hug.

Kris Ripper has such a unique voice so I was looking forward to this book and wasn’t disappointed at all. The Love Study is filled with awkwardness and I’m such a sucker for that in romance. This book explores so much about what does a romantic relationship *need* to look like to actually still be a romance?

I loved so much how Declan and Sidney begin the story trying to find someone for Dec to date and have this journey of figuring out what each of them
Nicole Field
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This captured my attention and imagination from the first page, very much like The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai. The similarities only increased when the main characters ended up doing a mini series on dating--queer, in this case, not straight--for a YouTube video rather than to promote the dating app that the previous book had done.

Themes and characters were just as engaging in both novels.

I don't know what it was specifically but, as I read, this also came to remind me of the intense amount of
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am non binary. That is why I chose this book, and I was excited to be approved. I can’t wait for this queer romance to hit the shelves because we need to normalize that gender isn’t a binary, and people need to be more open minded. Hence, having a MC use they/them was amazing. I want more books like this. I love seeing myself in this book, and just so much yes to this story.

Sidney has a YouTube dating show, and they meet Declan. They set him up with weekly dates for the show, and they want fee
thebookconfessions
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was such a delightful suprise for me!
It's sweet. It's fun. It's quirky.
What suprised me the most is how inclusive this story is. It gave me such a good insight into the LGBTQ community.
My only reason for giving it 4⭐ is that I wished there was a deeper look into queer dates. I was really hoping to learn more.
Aside that, this is such a cute story. I definitely recommend it.
Simone
Aug 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtqia, 2020, romance
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the ARC

This is a classic "it's not the book, it's me" situation. At least I think so.

There was loads that drew me to this book when I first stumbled upon it: the diverse cast of queer characters, the romantic comedy aspect (I've never read a romantic comedy with a genderqueer character and was READY), the premise of the youtube show etc. etc.

Speaking of the Youtube show... I mean, the Love Study is the name of the book, right?
Somehow, the Love Study
lauraღ
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here’s how my friends describe me to new people: “This is Declan. He left his last boyfriend at the altar, so watch out.”

Bro I'm super glad I got the chance to read this fantastically queer, quirky, rom-com love story with a genderqueer love interest. Not everything about it worked for me, but mostly I liked the ways in which it was different, the ways it broke the mould. Declan, a grade-A commitment-phobe, finds himself as a guest on a YouTube show, being set up on blind dates. It's not exactly
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The Love Study is a novel about bantery awkward turtles falling in love, and that's incredibly up my aisle. This is my first time reading Ripper, and I will definitely be reading more of zir novels!

Stylistically, I do think this book will be a challenge for a lot of readers. It very much could have been edited down both in content and in terms of the dialog. You know how normally, even the most awkward of interactions in a novel are a very smoothed out version of real life awkward conversations?
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content Notes: (view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Teddy Spenser Isn't Looking for Love: An LGBTQ Romcom
  • Better Than People (Garnet Run, #1)
  • Just Like This (Albin Academy, #2)
  • Best Laid Plans (Garnet Run, #2)
  • Feel the Fire (Hotshots #3)
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions, #1)
  • The Vicar and the Rake (Society of Beasts #1)
  • American Christmas (Dreamers)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
  • Just the Funny Parts: ... And a Few Hard Truths About Sneaking Into the Hollywood Boys' Club
  • Well Played (Well Met, #2)
  • The Inside Edge
  • The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Five Little Liars
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • The Beautiful Things Shoppe (Seasons of New Hope, #2)
Kris Ripper lives in the great state of California and zir pronouns are ze/zir. Kris shares a converted garage with a kid, can do two pull-ups in a row, and can write backwards. (No, really.) Ze has been writing fiction since ze learned how to write, and boring zir stuffed animals with stories long before that.

The Love Study (3 books)
  • The Hate Project (The Love Study, #2)
  • The Life Revamp: An LGBTQ Romcom

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...