Start by marking “Either Side of Midnight” as Want to Read:
Either Side of Midnight

Either Side of Midnight

An electrifying thriller with a mind-bending premise: One million viewers witness a popular TV presenter commit suicide live on air - yet his twin brother is convinced it was murder.

How can it be murder when the victim pulled the trigger?

At 9.01 pm, TV presenter Sam Midford delivers the monologue for his popular current affairs show Mr Midnight. He seems nervous and the cr
Published September 1st 2020 by Penguin Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Either Side of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Either Side of Midnight

Start your review of Either Side of Midnight
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I absolutely loved Greenlight, the first book featuring Jack Quick. When I heard that Benjamin Stevenson had another book coming out I was excited to read it. And Either Side of Midnight was everything I hoped for, in fact I think that I enjoyed it even more.

Crime books are definitely one of my favourite genres to read and when it is written by an Aussie even better. And set in Sydney, my hometown! I spent a rainy Saturday reading it, start to finish. It was really hard to put it down.

Sam Midfo
Josh
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Either Side of Midnight explores the concept of murder by suggestion, using media and live television as a platform. For the most part, this works pretty well and despite the conforming subject nature the plot is engaging with a core mystery reigning supreme; what seems straight forward is anything but.

However, the pace and engagement didn’t hold throughout the duration of book. For me, I failed to make any real connection with the characters; Sam and Harry felt two dimensional, as did Sam’s wi
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

#Better Reading Preview Title

Benjamin Stevenson is an award winning stand-up comedian who has successfully made the transition to crime writing, thanks to his first novel, Greenlight, which was shortlisted for a coveted Ned Kelly Award. Either Side of Midnight is the sequel to Stevenson’s 2018 debut, but it can be read as a standalone release. This latest Australian based crime novel from Benjamin Stevenson is the compelling story of a murder mystery masked
bookswithpaulette
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I enjoyed this one, this is the second book from this Australian Author and my first read from him.
Interesting premise to this crime novel. Set in Sydney, popular late-night Television presenter Sam Midford is preparing for just another live broadcast. The Crew are taking bets "will he, or won't he?" speculation is rife that Sam will propose live on air to his long-term girlfriend sitting at home waiting for the show to air.

3,2,1 we are live.... Sam radiates charisma, he delivers another great s
Mike Musings Book Reviews
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime fans
Shelves: crime, aussie-books
Another enjoyable crime thriller by Benjamin Stevenson, with his second book in the Jack Quinn series. A murder investigation in what is an obvious suicide, makes for an intriguing mystery to solve. Fans of his previous Greenlight will know the backstory with this second installment taking up some months later. It is recommended to read it prior to starting this latest Jack Quinn investigation. A successful follow and I look for to another chapter in this fine Australian crime drama - rating 5 s ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“How can it be murder when the victim pulled the trigger?”

I somehow overlooked Benjamin Stevenson’s debut novel, Greenlight, shortlisted for the Ned Kelly Award for Best Debut Crime Fiction in 2018, which introduces true crime documentary producer, Jack Quick, but i was intrigued by the premise of Either Side of Midnight, and assured it could stand on its own.

It seems events in Greenlight didn’t go particularly well for Jack Quick. When he is introduced in Either Side of Midnight, Jack is in pri
Karen
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Benjamin Stevenson's first book featuring documentary maker Jack Quick was a revelation, particularly when considered again, in hindsight, from the viewpoint of the second novel in the series. Quoting from my own review of GREENLIGHT at the time:

"There's a something about GREENLIGHT that feels like a non-too-subtle dig at the commercialisation of true crime. There's always been a sub-set of true crime writing that's been about the crims, their exploits, personalities and too big to be believable
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Brilliant!

Once more I am delighted by the back story – of the film making/tv making process – its so accurate 😊 But there is more to this read that the matter of how tv shows are made; there is a lot of depth to this narrative and the characters and surprising reveals that you will not so coming.

Bulimia takes a leading role in this edition; it was discussed in Greenlight but did not have a starring role as it does here. We really feel the daily struggles, the effect on daily life and on those ar
Julie Garner
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, crime-thriller
I received an ARC of this book.
Reminds me of the logic puzzles I did as a kid, those conundrum questions...If a man shoots himself on live tv is it suicide or murder??
The character of Jack, exploring this conundrum (and the ones that follow) is a broken man, trying to do the right for his family. Takes on what he assumes is a tale that won’t end well, only to find unique questions and answers.
It is the tale of two brothers, who haven’t spoke in five years but who still love each other and find w
Jessica M
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Australian author Benjamin Stevenson publishes his second crime novel Either Side of Midnight, and it’s another page-turning, fast-paced, high-tension masterpiece. Either Side of Midnight wraps its claws around the reader, drawing them closer with each passing chapter. Readers will have no choice but the ride the rollercoaster of this novel.

Fans of Benjamin’s previous novel, Greenlight, will recognise disgraced TV documentarian Jack Quick as the protagonist. He’s been ser
Amanda E
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Either Side of Midnight is the second in the Jack Quick series, (assuming Benjamin Stevenson will add more to these fast pased thrilling crime novels) which sees television presenter go from reading the midnight news to committing suicide live on air.
Firstly, this novel does have two triggers in both suicide and eating disorders in men, both very rarely written about, let alone in novels.
If the prologue doesn't reel you into this Australian crime fiction, then the mystery of Mr Sam "Midnight" M
Deborah
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Benjamin Stevenson's second book, Either Side of Midnight again features (former) true-crime documentary-maker Jack Quick which I assumed meant I needed to refamiliarise myself with his character.

Deep diving into our past (mine and Jack's), ie. reading my review of Greenlight, reminded me I really enjoyed the book and found Jack to be a bit of an enigma. However I also discovered I'd cunningly kept spoilers out of my review. Spoilers that obviously included VITAL information about Jack and the e
Lara (luellabella✂️)
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 disconnected stars, rounded up because it was an easy read. I struggled to engage with the characters - identical twins Harry & Sam (who seemingly commits suicide on live national TV at the beginning of the book), and Jack Quick, who is employed by Harry to investigate Sam's death. Perhaps I should have read "Trust Me When I Lie", which also features Jack Quick first. ...more
Ellie
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub
Well that was definitely a surprise ending. I thought I had it picked really early on but it took many turns from about halfway. Felt a little slow to get into but then once I was, I kept coming back until I finished it for answers!!
Petrina Oakley
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you for the advanced copy of Either Side of Midnight by Benjamin Stevenson.
Benjamin has started on the right foot with this debut novel, with room to grow. I can’t wait to read more from this author.
From the beginning the author has you wondering how could the death of TV host Sam possibly be murder when screened live to air Sam pulling out a gun and shooting himself in the head.
Trish Edwards
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

Wow! Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn’t heard of this book or its author. I want to send a huge thank you to @penguinbooks for sending me a copy to review because otherwise I may have missed it.
This is Stevenson’s second book so now I’m keen to read his debut novel, Greenlight.
The premise of Either Side Of Midnight is truly unique.
‘At 9.01 pm, TV presenter Sam Midford delivers the monologue for his popular current affairs show Midnight Tonight. He seems nervous and the crew are convinced he’
Viola
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
CRIME CULTURE: Either Side of Midnight by Benjamin Stevenson
September 21, 2020 G. L. Marlowe

CRIME CULTURE: “Murder or suicide? This is the question which lies at the heart of Benjamin Stevenson’s sophomore novel Either Side of Midnight. G. L. Marlowe with this review of a gripping detective fiction story that foregrounds male mental health in a dodgy media world.

When does another person’s actions constitute a malicious intent?

“‘A grown man got cyberbullied to death?’ he’d asked doubtfully. Peo
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. There are enough twists to keep the reader guessing. As with many crime novels, the reader needs to employ a lot of suspension of disbelief during the reading. The better the crime novel, the less suspension of disbelief is required. Just a little less and this would have been four stars.

The novel straddles the beginning of our immersion in the digital age and the today where social media is now part of our life. So the story charts a course through that terrain.

One t
Chloe
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Review of either side of midnight by Benjamin Stevenson’s book 1

I got this book for free through Dymocks bookshop to provide a review.

When I cracked this book open for a review, the premise was interesting. How do you prove a murder when everyone saw this victim pull the gun? Unfortunately my interest did not last long. Whilst I am sure that this book will appeal to most people, I personally could not connect with the characters or writing style.

The main character is Jack Quick a documentary m
Unseen Library
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rating of 4.5.

Following his outstanding 2018 debut, up and coming Australian crime fiction author Benjamin Stevenson returns with an excellent and exciting new novel, Either Side of Midnight.

Sam Midford is a man who seems to have it all. The host of a popular current affairs program, Midnight Tonight, Sam routinely provides fun and insightful jokes to the Australian public. But his latest show is about to deliver something very different for the audience, as a nervous Sam pulls out a gun on live
Brit McCarthy
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher and Better Reading for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review, this did not influence my review in any way.

I feel like this book has slapped me in the face with the ending that I didn’t see coming, but makes so much sense I feel ridiculous for having missed it.

One million viewers watched Sam Midford, Mr. Midnight, shoot himself live on TV. It looks like suicide. But Sam’s brother Harry refuses to believe it. Crime podcaster Jack Quick has enough problems
Donna
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is the book you want to read if you like a good mystery, a good thrill and a great story. I loved it! From the start I thought it would be just another murder mystery but by the time I’d finished I realised it was more about Jack, the person hired to investigate and get to the truth behind this suicide/murder, and the problems he encountered in his life.
Jack Quick, a complex character with problems of his own, drawn into the very public suicide of Sam Midford, television presenter, one half
Bree T
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, mystery, arc, crime
I have to admit, it took me about 35p to realise that this is actually a follow on from Greenlight, Benjamin Stevenson’s novel from 2018. In my defence, reading that was some 450 books ago but when Jack was released from jail, I suddenly remembered why he was there in the first place.

Before his release, Jack is visited by Harry Midford, twin of Sam Midford, a television presenter who killed himself live on air in front of thousands of viewers. Harry is convinced that there is more to this than a
Matt
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great long weekend read!

The character driving the story forward Jack, was a brilliantly realised man with issues - issues that I realise as I started that were fleshed out in the first novel in this series. Now while this was easily a standalone novel - if you haven't read the first in the series 'Greenlight' that would be an even better way to make sure you enjoy this Ben's second novel.

Now I love a mystery and this one had me seriously guessing until the very last few pages - I've
Tanya
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
When Sam Midford, a tv show host shoots himself dead, live on his show people are shocked. Sam’s twin brother, Harry comes knocking to an former producer Jack, a bulimic sufferer just released from jail and wants Jack to investigate Sam’s death as he believes it wasn’t suicide but murder. Seems unlikely as millions of viewers watched Sam kill himself on tv but Harry is sure and offers money to Jack to get involved.

Jack needs the money mostly because of his guilt of his brother, Liam’s vegetativ
The Lucky Find Book Club
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
⚠️Trigger warning ⚠️ Suicide

Either Side of Midnight is a mystery fiction that explores Suicide by coercion.
If a person commits suicide but was encouraged to do so by a third party, is it suicide or is it murder?

Tv presenter Sam Midford takes his own life on air. The police of course rule it suicide, after all the whole audience watched Sam pull the trigger. Case closed. Sam’s twin brother Harry thinks otherwise, he believes there’s no way Sam would do that to his family on air unless he was
Katrina
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Better Reading for an uncorrected advance proof of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This kept me guessing the whole way - the ending was a surprise but did make perfect sense. The book explores the incredibly fast-changing society we've lived in for the past 15 years or so, and examines the impact of technology on our lives and on a legal system that suddenly needs to evolve with urgency. Even the premise of the deaths in the book are shrouded in legal clouds - are they murd
Lynne
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The title 'Either Side of Midnight ' refers to twins Sam and Harry being born on different days, one just before midnight and one just after.

Sam is a successful tv host on a late night show, who does the unthinkable and takes his own life while on camera during his live show.

Harry (Sam's twin) does not believe it is a straight forward suicide but thinks someone has murdered Sam. He enlists the help of Jack, offering big money to find out what has happened.

Jack used to work at the same TV station
Jo
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian, fiction, crime
I received a free advance copy to review.

This is the first Benjamin Stevenson novel I have read but it won't be the last.
Sam Midford host of TV show, Midnight Tonight, pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head, live on air.
His twin brother Harry, doesn't believe it was suicide. How can it be murder when the victim pulled the trigger? He enlists Jack Quick, a documentary film maker, straight out of prison to help him find the answers he needs.

Benjamin Stevenson takes us on a ride with Jack
Debbie
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sim Midford is a TV presenter. One night he seems nervous as he begins his presentation and people assume he is about to propose to his girlfriend. Instead, he takes his own life on air. Sam's brother Harry is grief stricken and while his actions are clear, he needs to find out the why, so he engages Jack, a disgraced TV producer to help solve the mystery. Clearly this book won't be for everyone due to the subject matter but I have to say the mystery drew me in right from the start. As the story ...more
Goodreads Librari...: My Books Under Wrong Author 3 20 Mar 31, 2020 11:01PM

• Hermit
  • The Bluffs
  • Trust (Martin Scarsden, #3)
  • The Night Whistler
  • The Silent Listener
  • The Mother Fault
  • The Family Doctor
  • The Good Teacher
  • Deadman's Track
  • The Paris Affair
  • Consolation (Paul Hirschhausen #3)
  • Other People's Houses
  • Letters from Berlin
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker, #6)
  • Sticks and Stones