Start by marking “Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)

Kingdom of the Wicked

(Kingdom of the Wicked #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  3,823 ratings  ·  1,418 reviews
Two sisters.

One brutal murder.

A quest for vengeance that will unleash Hell itself…

And an intoxicating romance.

Emilia and her twin sister Vittoria are streghe – witches who live secretly among humans, avoiding notice and persecution. One night, Vittoria misses dinner service at the family’s renowned Sicilian restaurant. Emilia soon finds the body of her beloved twin…desecra
Published October 27th 2020 by JIMMY Patterson

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of the Wicked, please sign up.
Tia Chaurasiya I don't think that there's a lot of sexual content. I'm pretty sure there's kissing, but no further than that
Tia Stregheria is Italian witchcraft. I don't know The Brilliant Death series, but this has Sicilian main characters, so it's part of their heritage. I'm …moreStregheria is Italian witchcraft. I don't know The Brilliant Death series, but this has Sicilian main characters, so it's part of their heritage. I'm Sicilian, so I don't know much about brujería, but I think stregheria is the Italian equivalent.(less)

·  3,823 ratings  ·  1,418 reviews

Start your review of Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
Kerri
Aug 28, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
***AUGUST 18th UPDATE***

my publisher has a very fun announcement regarding a book trailer! details can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CECn6JRAB...

UPDATE: the working dedication is now a novel itself :)

"For my grandmother Victoria Maria Nucci Maniscalco
and my aunt Carol Nucci Belasco.

And for my great grandma Josephine—who immigrated from Sciacca, Sicily to America with my grandpa—and whose restaurant inspired much of this story.

This may be a fantasy,
but the love of family found wit
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher

"In the end, the monster we feared didn’t come from Hell. He came from privilege."

Oh, this review is going to be a wild ride. The range of things I feel for this book is very unreal. Listen, the atmosphere of this? The settings? The premise? I couldn’t get enough. Dare I even say close to perfect? And the plot had me so very invested in every single way. But this actual story and the plot conveniences, the characters and their lack of critical thinking, t
jessica
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh, you guys arent even ready for how much you are gonna love this. prepare yourself for a halloween season full of witchy black magic, a brooding prince of hell, and a spooky murder mystery.

i really love seeing KMs creativity shine through in this story. with her SJTR series, theres only so much originality that can seen because its based on historical events. but with this unique magic system and the different classes of witches and demons, i think it shows a much more interesting side of KMs
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m in pain! I’m dying to learn what’s gonna happen next! Arggggggggkkkk! Yes, if you google “drunk and angry damsel in distress”, you may see my bloody face right now! I just finished this fascinating, heart throbbing, riveting , addictive story and after reading the last words as like an addict I wanted to get more literature intake. I’m honestly craving for the next book now!

The things I fell hard for:

A witch and a demon’s sizzling, pant melting chemistry : they’re like gasoline and fire!
Nomadic Reader (Baba Yaga)
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as not-today-satan
So I've read the first chapter of this book, and now I have...questions.
Here are the first ones that came into my mind:

1. If this book is set in late 1800s Sicily, why is one of the main characters named Victoria (nickname Vicki)? Why is a working class Italian girl named after a British queen?
Edit July 2020: it looks like the author ended up changing the MC's name. If that is the case, I'm glad she listened to readers' concerns and took steps to fix at least some of the historical inaccuracies
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tucker by: JIMMY Patterson
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

IT WAS SO GOOD I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOWWWWWWWWWW

- - - - - -

A COVER!!! SNAKES!!!!! SKULLSSS!!!!!!! THIS SH*T IS CREEPY AND I AM HERE FOR IT

*****************

confession time: i didn't read the synopsis in my excitement but i just read it and holy sh*t

A DEMON PRINCE! MAGIC! WITCHES!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I AM TOO EXCITED TO SPEAK WORDS RIGHTLY

| Goodread
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This was absolutely wonderful!!! It also made me bloody hungry,, due to all the food references … which is NOT conducive to preventing midnight snacking FYI, but my growling stomach and I still loved it. ;)

I personally enjoyed this A LOT more than Stalking Jack the Ripper. Wrath made for a much more compelling love interest than the adorable Thomas Cresswell and I found Emilia to be a be
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 28, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Recommended to Chelsea by: Storiesandcoffee
Finally starting this book after oogling and googling it for eons.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
She-who-must-not-be-named
7 days more!
megs_bookrack
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
**4.5-stars**

Emilia and her twin sister, Vittoria, are part of a family of witches who live secretly among humans on the island of Sicily. Their family runs a renowned local restaurant, where both girls work.

At eighteen years old, they've been raised hearing the lore of their family, and other beings of the underworld; mostly at the knee of their beloved Nonna.

But these stories become all too real after Emilia discovers Vittoria, murdered and mutilated.

Overcome with grief, Emilia's saving grace
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy crap! I hope I like this book because the FairyLoot edition is amaze balls!! Click the link under the pic to see the goodies!

GOODIES LINK:
Becca & The Books
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced young adult fantasy with great characters.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The first 40% I wasn't a big fan of and I was disappointed as this is one of my most anticipated releases of the year. For some reason it just didn't click with me and I really struggled to care about what was going on. However, as soon as I passed that 40% mark, I was hooked!

I adore the setting of this book. As Emilia & Vittoria's parents own a trattoria in Sicily, food played a big part in thi
Lia Carstairs
  "One day you'll call me Death.
For now, Wrath will do."

I want a hot demon prince Wrath for myself, please and thank you.😏🖤

Nonna gave many warnings to guard thy heart from the Wicked, but the endeavor was futile.......

It was stolen anyways.🥺 altho is it really any surprise that happened?

I LOVED Kerri's SJTR series , so the second I finished it and heard that she was making another series set in a world of demons, witches, and with an enemies-to-lovers trope—oh I just knew that I'd fall in
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
This is a book filled with twists and turns, secrets, deaths, demons, and witches. If this doesn't make you add this to your tbr list, I don’t know how to convince you otherwise.

Set in Sicily, Italy, we meet our protagonist, Emilia di Carlo, who is a witch that secretly lives among humans. She has a twin, Vittoria, who is also a witch. Emilia is the introverted one while Vittoria is the more adventurous one and isn’t too careful about keeping their identities hidden. One day, Emilia stumbles upo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Don't get me wrong, I am still not ready to say goodbye to Audrey and Thomas, but... this is v v v v v exciting nonetheless 💕💕😍😍😍

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this review copy in exchange for an honest review!
Candace Robinson
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge Maniscalco fan! Love her writing and the stories she spins! I was super excited to see what type of new book she would bring to the table after I finished the Stalking Jack the Ripper series! And she did not disappoint!

This was a page-turning world that had me glued to the story at page 1! I loved the twin bone between Emilia and Vittoria! And also the food and the family! Emilia was a strong character and when she met Wrath, I just knew things were going to get awesomer!

Wrath was the
Mika Auguste
Now if there’s one thing miss Kerri Maniscalco is always gonna do...it’s write a good romance. I truly ate this entire book up, so if you’re looking for an atmospheric read filled with witches, hot demon princes, and other paranormal creatures in order to get you into the fall/spooky mood...read this book ASAP.

The first few chapters did take me a while to get into, but as soon as I finally got a hang of the writing and the world, I literally flew through this. I definitely think the story could’
Emma☀️
I’m so disappointed :(
This is a case of “it’s not you, it’s me”. But do take my rating with a grain of salt, I’ve seen some favorable reviews so far. This just wasn’t for me. rtc

— — — — — — — —

To quote Lizzie McGuire: ✨This is what dreams are made of✨

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Maëlys
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases, arc
☆ 2.5 / 5 ☆

“There are victors and victims. Decide who you want to be. Or the choice will be made for you, witch. And I doubt you’ll like it.”

In all honesty this book doesn’t have much going for it but it was still a lot of fun to get through. Was it riddled with inconsistencies and plot convenience? Most definitely, but it was also a true page-turner and very easily consumable.

I also enjoyed the author’s first book in the Stalking Jack the Ripper series and I think it’s because Kerri Manisc
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
the writing was pretty meh but i really enjoyed the romance and the characters were funny, i also thought that the world was intriguing. i’m very excited for the second book.

Wrath is my new demon prince boyfriend
Amy Imogene Reads
Hot demon princes, tattoo magic, underworlds, witches in Italy, and a high stakes murder mystery... Need I say more?

Concept: ★★★★★
Characters: Besides the main character being more dumb than fully believable? ★★★★
Pacing: ★★★ 1/2
Enjoyment: ★★★★★

Emilia di Carlo grew up with her twin, Vittoria, on tales of witches and demons. Their grandmother raised them to learn about their witch bloodline and magical abilities and taught them to fear the devil and his seven Wicked princes—because there's nothing
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I just started to read the "Stalking Jack the Ripper" series but this is right up my alley!

I mean how am I supposed to say "no" to a witch that seeks vengeance for her sisters death and begins to walk down the dark path of black magic?!
Also a wicked prince of hell who'll certainly maybe end up being her love interest?

Say no more!
I'm already sold! ;-)

P.S: That cover!! It screams dangerous and buy me! *lol* Which is kind of a weird combination but we all know I love things like that. XD
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
" a dark, intoxicating tale of a beautiful young witch, a troubled demon, and their epic romance, set against a lush 19th century Italian backdrop."

TAKE MY MOTHERFUCKING MONEY
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
'The devil was on the prowl. Or one of his wicked brothers was.'

description

Accurate rating: 3.5 stars + a warning to not drink every time the word 'wicked' is in here otherwise you WILL be hospitalized.

I have a love/tolerate record with this author. On the one hand, I've always been inescapably swept up into the writing, the vibe, the sheer aesthetic presented in her books and this newest proved no exception to that! But on the other hand there are a LOT of little, niggling things that always drive the
Maria ☾ ⋆
Mar 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
I'M SO SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK!! 😍
Mara YA Mood Reader
11/12/2020: 2.5 maybe 3 stars. I am sad to say this didn’t work for me. I hate hate hate giving a negative review. But I don’t have another option, so I don’t mean to offend.

I kind of felt like Maniscalco’s writing devolved from her Stalking Jack the Ripper series, did anyone feel the same? Or perhaps it’s just been a while since I’ve read it and can’t recall specifically.

But there was a tad too much in the way of tell and not show that put me to sleep every time I picked this up at night to r
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
you're telling me it ended there LOL you're funny, ms. maniscalco 🔪 goddamnit

rtc!

witches and demon princes, kerri maniscalco has learnt my heart's desire and graciously offered it to me 😭

thank you to the publishers for kindly gifting me an arc in exchange for an honest review! <3
Kirsty Hendry
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an eArc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Emilia and Vittoria are twins and best friends. They are also Strega - witches. Forced into hiding due to the fear of persecution, the Strega operate under cover, hidden from the rest of the world. When one night Vittoria does not turn up for her shift in the family restaurant, fear for her safety starts to grow. Emilia soon discovers her sisters body, which has be horrifically brutalised. Emilia will
☆ sana ☆
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Kerri Maniscalco writes and I read. Everyone who knows me, knows that I’m a huge fan of Kerri’s debut series Stalking Jack the Ripper and that Cressworth are one of my all time favorite fictional couples, and so is the case with Kingdom of the Wicked. I have been looking forward to reading this book ever since she started talking about it on Twitter and I’m so happy to say that it did not disappoint at all. A murder mystery? Enemies to lovers? I was sold.

This book is set in 19th cent
Cassie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Man had a funny way of blaming the devil for things he didn’t like. It was strange that we were called evil when humans were the ones who enjoyed watching us burn.

I really don’t know how to write a review for this, but here’s what my thoughts are.

Was this good? Yes. Do I want to read the next book? Yes. Am I disappointed though? Yes.

Folks, I expected this to be at least a strong 4 star read. Maybe even 5 stars. But a mediocre 3 star? No, definitely did not expect that.

I know 3 stars aren’t bad

• Fable (Fable, #1)
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • The Sinner (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Little Secrets
  • The Grace Year
  • The Ghost Bride
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Twilight Saga (Twilight, #1-4)
  • Roses in Winter: A Tale of Beauty and Her Beast
  • Ash Falls
  • The Switch
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Among the Beasts & Briars
  • One Foot in the Grave (The Mortician's Daughter, #1)
I'm mostly on instagram--where I'm always ready to talk fictional crushes and nerd out over books. (Okay, okay. And I've also been known to share snippets and teasers from my upcoming novels, if you're into that sort of thing...) Please feel free to chat with me there @KerriManiscalco. I love talking with fellow readers!

Kerri Maniscalco grew up in a semi-haunted house outside NYC where her fascina

Kingdom of the Wicked (2 books)
  • Untitled (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Love is the most powerful magic. Above all else, remember that. It will always guide you where you need to go.” 9 likes
“Whatever you do, you must never speak to the Wicked. If you see them, hide. Once you’ve caught a demon prince’s attention, he’ll stop at nothing to claim you.” 8 likes