Start by marking “1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story” as Want to Read:
1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story

1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
1000 Years for Revenge is a groundbreaking investigative work that uncovers startling evidence of how the FBI missed dozens of opportunities to stop the attacks of September 11, dating back to 1989. Award-winning journalist Peter Lance explains how an elusive al Qaeda mastermind defeated the entire American security system in what the author calls "the greatest failure of ...more
Published September 3rd 2003 by William Morrow (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Years for Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Years for Revenge

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
I just couldn't get into this. I think for me it would be better to stick to watching documentaries on the History Channel when it comes to this subject.
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, terrorism
Peter Lance's account of the backstory on the World Trade Center plots is, at times, a bit tedious. It can't be said to be weak or ill-investigated. For readers that really like footnotes, this is the book to read.

In the post-9/11 landscape it is easy to forget that the US has been at war against militant Islam for many years. 1000 Years for Revenge picks up the story in the early 1990's with the failed attempt to destroy the World Trade Center by truck bomb. In the 8+ years between the attacks
Harry Annan
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely scathing analysis of the failure of the major intelligence and crime fighting agencies within the US to head off the 9-11 WTC bombings. Sad to say, I don't think much has changed. Every American should read this book to also understand more readily why the reasons for the war in Iraq were based on false assumptions as the majority of the perpetrators were Egyptian or Saudis with absolutely no connection to Sadaam. Peter Lance has down an outstanding journalistic job in my view.
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought it was ok because it tells us about history the FBI and people that escaped the FBI.
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Frustrating is the main word that comes to mind when thinking about this book. Not for how it is written, but for my feelings towards those that failed the American people in the years leading to 9/11. This book isn't just the story of one or two screw-ups along the way. There seem to be endless examples of FBI negligence and arrogance that helped contribute to the failures of stopping the fateful attacks that day.

However, as Ronnie Bucca says, those who fail to learn from the past are doomed to
Joseph Butler-hartley
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
An essential read. Peter Lance's engaging and almost anecdotal writing style makes his complete condemnation of the FBI's pre-9/11 investigations surprisingly readable. Fascinating, but also very depressing. I can only hope the FBI aren't as incompetent as this book portrays them as.
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A frighteneing catalogue of errors and ovesights.A bit difficult to read and could have been half the length(my opinion).Unfortunately like many of these books it is strong on hindsight and light on how to improve for the future.
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening info on all the ways the FBI let us down by ignoring evidence showing our risk of great harm. Unfortunately, the attacks on 9/11 showed us just how accurate Ronnie Bucca and Nancy Floyd were in trying to alert authorities to our serious danger of attack.
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Peter Lance's "1000 Years For Revenge" is a gemstone of insight and special knowledge surrounding the backstory of what would transform into America's darkest day.

Peter Lance conducted an incredible amount of investigations.
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting - really connects the past to the current state of the world. It's very frustrating in its hindsight!
Dec 11, 2010 added it
A very good "conspiracy theory" book. Lot of thought provoking material.
Oct 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, a bit infuriating, but very very very long and pretty complex. It takes a lot of concentration to read which made it difficult for me.
A.J. Jr.
Marc Oliver
Jan 05, 2014
Aug 14, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The CIA's Directorate Of Science And Technology
  • For the President's Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence & the American Presidency from Washington to Bush
  • Bin Laden: The Man Who Declared War on America
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us
  • The Bureau: The Secret History of the FBI
  • Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency from the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century
  • Ike's Spies: Eisenhower and the Espionage Establishment
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
  • The Age of Sacred Terror: Radical Islam's War Against America
  • Unholy War: Terror in the Name of Islam
  • Understanding Terror Networks
Peter Lance is a five-time Emmy-winning investigative reporter now working as a screenwriter and novelist. With a Masters Degree from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and a J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, Lance spent the first 15 years of his career as a print reporter and network correspondent.

He began his career as a reporter for his hometown paper, The Newport, R.I.
More about Peter Lance...

Nonfiction Deals