Start by marking “Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises” as Want to Read:
Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises

Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises

A guide to whales, dolphins and porpoises ranging from the Common Dolphin to the Killer Whale. It features over 900 photos, annotations and descriptions highlighting chief characteristics and distinguishing marks which help you to identify different whale, dolphin or porpoise species quickly.
Published November 16th 2000 by Dorling Kindersley (first published September 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises

Start your review of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
Debbie Zapata
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020printbooks
May 15, 2pm ~~ Review asap.

May 16, 245pm ~~ I ordered this book after I finished re-reading Moby Dick late last year. I was intrigued by the general whale information Melville gives in that book, and I wanted to learn more. It was fun to dip into as I sailed along with Captain Joshua Slocum in his book Sailing Alone Around the World.

This is a very easy to understand book, and with tons of fascinating details. I never realized the huge variety of cetaceans in the world. Made me sad to think how s
David Ward
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
DK Handbook: Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises: The Visual Guide to All the World's Cetaceans (Eyewitness Handbooks) by Mark Carwardine (Dorling Kindersley 1995)(599.5) is a wonderful reference book for all the cetaceans in both saltwater and freshwater environments. I really like the DK Handbooks! My rating: 7.5/10, finished 6/2/14. ...more
Mahitha Kakarala
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A clear picture of a Cretaceans, travel guides of dolphin sighting spots, want to know about whale behavior?, confused about what a porpoise is? Well this book has it all! The most amazing non- fiction book, just right for knowledge collectors and sea mammal lovers.
-Mahitha Kakarala, Age 12
Riley McInerney
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it shows you species of whale dolphins and porpoise and you see their size compared to humans and gives you facts about each one. and it shows you what the animal looks like. A fact I found out about is narwhals horn is actually a tooth.
Kaleb Headon
Jul 23, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whales
Nic
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Great, straightforward, comprehensive field guide with beautiful illustrations.
Caleb Swenor
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My Review
Now as you can tell I love whales, that's why I read this book. Whales are the largest animals on earth some can weigh up to 200 tons! Its like mother nature said one day " hey lets make the most amazing but animal I can think of" and puff, there was a whale. But enough about how much I love whales lets get to the facts. Whales are the largest mammals on earth by far, elephant can kiss there butts goodnight because there is a real giant tonight. Although many people would think the Blu
Britain 11-12
The information in this book was extremely descriptive and helpful. I liked this informational book because it will help me some day become a marine mammalogist. Becoming a marine mammalogist means that right now I need to study on whales and other marine animals, and this book and all of its information has helped me learn more about whales and other animals than I ever imagined.
Jeannine Winkel
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best and detailed book about all the cetaceans I have ever had in my hands.
Cherilyn Willoughby
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marine Mammal enthusiasts
Great guidebook for anyone into marine mammals.
Emerson
ok...
J.L. Flores
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
El libro más claro sobre cetáceos que he leído, desde fisionomía básica hasta identificar soplidos. Un must para uno que no es experto.
Janet
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guide-books
Easy to read and understand. Basic info like population, threats adn feeding etc. Set apart and easy to see for quick reference.
Christopher
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, marine
Good reference book, lots of interesting facts, not for academic referencing but good inforamtion all the same.
Author Lindsay Swanberg
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Richard III
  • Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
  • A Broken Tree: How DNA Exposed a Family's Secrets
  • The Lost Family: How DNA Testing Is Uncovering Secrets, Reuniting Relatives, and Upending Who We Are
  • Confronting the Silence: A Holocaust Survivor's Search for God
  • Great Migrations: Whales (National Geographic Readers)
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • The Unlicensed Magician
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Civil War Trust's Official Guide to the Civil War Discovery Trail
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • The Anxiety Getaway: How to Outsmart Your Brain’s False Fear Messages and Claim Your Calm Using CBT Techniques
  • The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2)
  • From Fearful to Fear Free: A Positive Program to Free Your Dog from Anxiety, Fears, and Phobias
  • Secret Seven on the Trail (The Secret Seven, #4)
  • Dreams on Ice (Girls Only (GO!), #1)
  • Captain America, Volume 3: Loose Nuke
Mark Carwardine is a zoologist who achieved widespread recognition for his Last Chance to See conservation expeditions with Douglas Adams, first aired on BBC Radio 4 in 1990. Since then he has become a leading and outspoken conservationist, and a prolific broadcaster, columnist and photographer.

News & Interviews