Start by marking “A Company of Monsters (The Sorcerers of Verdun, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Company of Monsters (The Sorcerers of Verdun, #2)

A Company of Monsters

(The Sorcerers of Verdun #2)

The year is 1917, and the Russian Empire is on verge of collapse.

Florence Cavell—codename Geist—takes her special forces team of sorcerers into allied territory in an effort to hunt down spies and keep the Russian royals alive. If the Russian Empire falls, the Germans and Austro-Hungarians will turn their full attention to France and Britain. That can't be allowed to happe
Published November 19th 2019 by Capital Station Books

To ask other readers questions about A Company of Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Company of Monsters

Start your review of A Company of Monsters (The Sorcerers of Verdun, #2)
Dave
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dr. Zhivago meets the X-Men. A Company Of Monsters is both historical fiction and magical fantasy. It’s not an alternate history as it takes a real timeline and adds in a new element, sorcery. It’s World War I, specifically 1917, and on the Eastern Front, it’s the last stand of the Romanovs. Deprivation suffered by a war-weary populace who sustained heavy losses has turned them against the Tsar and into the hands of Lenin and Trotsky. As the world bleeds in seemingly endless war, Russia is devol ...more
Tharsult
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an extraordinary book, continuing a very good series. We continue to follow the adventures of Geist and her team of ethereal squadron special forces as they continue to meander through an alternate world war one where magic works. This story takes place in Russia during the end of the Tsardom,which is itself interesting...

...But the most interesting aspect of this novel to me is the obvious overlay between what is happening in the magical world, including the logical extensions of the m
Bruce Parrello
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An eagerly-awaited sequel for a great series!

The main thrust of this series is a squadron of sorcerers fighting in World War I. The author already built up the magic system in the previous book, so this one is pure action, but there is enough refresher exposition so you don't get lost if your memory is poor, a rare thing nowadays and something I greatly appreciate. Despiste the fantastic aspect of the story, every character is well-drawn, and their motivations are easily understood, which makes
Jasmine
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Company of Monsters is the second book in the Ethereal Squadron series.

If you haven't read book one, you'll probably wanna do that first, just so everything that happens
in book two makes more sense.

Set during WWI, A Company of Monsters follows Geist and her team as they try to stop the Germans and the Austro-Hungarians from destroying the royal family in the Russian Empire.
Unfortunately for them, this mission is a thousand times harder than the one they faced in the first book.

Will Geist an
Harry
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.
*spoilers, if you haven't read the first book*
*SQUADgoals*

I received an advanced reading copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Right off the bat, the Sorcerers of Verdun universe is one that I thoroughly enjoy. The magic/sorcery system is interesting, and set to a WW1 backdrop is just *insert italian kiss fingers noise* Mwah! Then add in Nazi soldiers with science adulterating magic battling the allied sorcerer troops*double mwah*

This installment sees the Squad cross
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
A Company of Monsters is the second book in The Sorcerers of Verdun series, and it takes you right back to Geist and WWI. I would definitely recommend reading these as a series as the story does follow on from book one.

In this book, however, Geist and her squadron are sent to Russia as Houses of Sorcerers are being obliterated. Not a simple task being as WWI is happening and Russia is also going through a turbulent time. Not only that, but Amalgam shows up, together with Geist's family and the E
Cynthia A.
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and unique

I love history and fantasy Shank Who call has found a unique way to join the two. The characters are well developed and complex in their relationships to each other. The reader grasps these relationships on many levels: lovers, family, and fellow warriors. Ms. Who call has also managed to paint this war in a whole new perspective. Historical events are to the story line in interesting ways. Well done. I truly hope there will be more from the Ethereal Sqadron.

Gina Stamper
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Real and Vivid. I liked the way that Shami Stovall wove her tale.

Characterization was huge in this novel. The characters were all very well developed and had their own motivations and faults. It made them seem more real to me as the reader.

I also really liked the flow of this novel. It felt very smooth.

A Fantasy novel that really delivers the action, adventure, and surprises in this new world.
Susan The Book Dragon Campton
Welcome to Freakish Friday my fiery, fiction feasting Fafnirs. I bring you this evening a dark and smoky Gem, glowing with all the evils of war. Give me a moment whilst I pull on these chain gloves. I will not even allow my claws to touch the very lead-lined ancient ammunition box that holds it. Here it is. See how it still, to this very day, 100 years later, gives off tiny streams of sulfuric smoke? Notice the thinnest of glowing green and yellow lines that pulse and glow within? Do you feel as ...more
M.T. DeSantis
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
I received this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Read an excerpt and follow the Goddess Fish book tour here.
I picked up the first book in this series because I likedStovall’s other work. Historical fantasy isn’t usually something I enjoy, but I found the first, and now second, book in this series captivating and entertaining from beginning to end.
This sequel hits the perfect blend of building on the first book and offering new conflict. All the characters are back, a
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Once again we enter the world of Florence Cavell whose codename is Geist. Geist and her team of magical sorcerers known as the Ethereal Squadron are sent to Russia this time around to hunt down spies.

A group known as the Eyes of the Kaiser has been sent to Russia to kill sorcerer. Geist and her team were sent there to find them and stop them before it is too late.

In A Company of Monsters we get to follow Geist around as she is ghosting in and out of the battle field among the dead looking for
Jessica Belmont
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Company of Monstersis a really cool plot. I didn’t read the previous book, so it took me a little work to figure the magic system out, but there was a refresher in there so I think I got it mostly figured out.

This book was a whole ton of action and it was absolutely entertaining. A squadron of soldiers fighting in WWI, so a really awesome mix of fantasy and historical fiction.
The characters were very well rounded. The good guys, the bad guys, the side characters, all felt real.

I really enjoyed
C. Gonzales
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a continuation in Shami Stovall's, Ethereal Squadron series and it is just a great as the first. Shami makes sure to catch readers up without making them feel bogged down with details from the first.

I felt like I got more of an understanding of the characters in this one. The first in the series was really an introduction and their characters really took off in this one.

Definitely a lot of action going on that will have readers flipping pages furiously.

I liked how universal this novel
Truly Trendy PR
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Company of Monsters is the second book in the The Sorcerers of Verdun series by Shami Stovall. A captivating story that pulls you into a world that is full of mystery and intriguing. A fast-paced read that will have you on the edge of your seat never knowing what will happen next. The character are well-written and develop nicely. The story line in intriguing and holds your attention. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased re ...more
Ben Herman
Jamabra
Nov 07, 2019
Leah (White Sky Project)
Dec 26, 2019

• A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Nothing Mage
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • The Combat Codes (The Combat Codes Saga #1)
  • Bones of the Past (Villains' Code, #2)
  • Untolled
  • Syzygy
  • Dragon Mage (Rivenworld, #1)
  • The Unseen Blade (The Serpent's Heir, #1)
  • The Lightning Mage (The Lightning Mage, #1)
  • The Queen's Champion (The Lightning Mage #2)
  • The Archmage (The Lightning Mage, # 3-4)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Overworld (Dragon Mage Saga #1)
  • Scorching Sun (Underworld #6)
  • Broken Council
Shami Stovall is a multi-award-winning author of fantasy and science fiction, with several best-selling novels under her belt. Before that, she taught history and criminal law at the college level, and loved every second. When she’s not reading fascinating articles and books about ancient China or the Byzantine Empire, Stovall can be found playing way too many video games, especially RPGs and tact ...more

The Sorcerers of Verdun (2 books)
  • The Ethereal Squadron (The Sorcerers of Verdun, #1)