Start by marking “Dark Hollows” as Want to Read:
Dark Hollows

Dark Hollows

Jacob Reese enjoys the quiet life, running a coffee shop and renting out his cottage in The Hollows, Vermont.

But the calm is shattered when a woman who looks eerily similar to his ex-girlfriend Laura turns up to stay in the cottage, and leaves a mysterious note in the guest book.

Now Jacob’s seeing Laura everywhere—a glimpse of her face across the street, her music box left
Published December 6th 2019 by HQ Digital

Start your review of Dark Hollows
MarilynW
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so shallow. Dark Hollows features an adorable black lab mix named Murphy. His owner is Jacob and Jacob loves Murphy more than life itself. He'll do anything for this dog! He and Murphy are best pals, they work together, play together, sleep together...life kind of revolves around Murphy since Murphy has a bed on both floors of Jacob's house (but also sleeps in Jacob's bed) and he has a bed by the cash register at Jacob's coffee shop. So I'm liking Jacob so much, he can do no wrong because ...more
Michael David
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
After having mixed and underwhelming feelings for “Nightingale House,” I was really hoping I’d be wrong about this one and love it as much as I love the book covers for this author!

Sigh...

Jacob Reese lives in The Hollows, a beautiful town in Vermont with old school charm and some fun history. He owns a coffee shop, and also rents out the cottage on the property where he lives via a fancier version of AirBnb. With his faithful dog, Murphy, by his side, he’s made a nice life for himself. That is
Bridgett
Sep 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Just close your eyes,
And you and I,
Will brave the dark and go dancing.
The Dreamer's Waltz

This book was decent. I enjoyed the way Steve Frech morphed the present into the past via Jacob's thoughts. It was cleverly written and easy to follow. I also enjoyed the setting and ambiance. I seriously want to visit The Hollows for Halloween! My favorite part of the book, however, was the relationship between Jacob, and his dog, Murphy. I have four fur-babies myself, so I could absolutely relate to
Whispering Stories
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Jacob Reese lives in a small town called The Hollows, Vermont with his dog, Murphy. He leads a quiet life with his canine companion. He owns a cottage that faces his home that he rents out to holidaymakers as well as running the local coffee shop.

Jacob is normally very picky when it comes to his cottage guests, choosing to only go with ones who have been previously stayed at other homes on the tourism website ‘Be Our Guest’ he rents through. When a young
Caroline
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This started off so strong! Set in a Gilmore Girls style town during Halloween, the coffee shop owner’s dodgy past catches up with him...! The setting and atmosphere was great, the flash backs to his past were dark and intriguing but the ending...? 🙄 what a let down!!! Very disappointing!
Jayme
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Jacob Reese has turned his life around after the death of his girlfriend, Laura.

He now runs a coffee shop, in the quaint town called “The Hollows”, in Vermont and is an overly generous boss.

He also rents out a cottage on his property, which comes complete with a fire pit and all of the ingredients for S’Mores.

Life was good but a bit lonely, until he adopted Murphy, a Lab mix, who is now his constant companion and best friend.

Until the day, a woman with a striking resemblance to Laura, rents t
Lou
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Hollows is Steve Frech's latest thriller/horror mash-up and from the get-go, it's chilling and really does a fantastic job of messing with your psyche. The idyllic town of The Hollows in Vermont, New England is home to Jacob Reese. He very much enjoys the quiet lifestyle and his cosy coffee shop which serves the community. He also rents out a cottage to those who wish to live there for a period. However, he starts to become paranoid after seeing someone who looked exactly like his deceased ...more
Christina
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I recently read and loved Steve Frech’s “Nightingale House,” so I was super excited to read Dark Hollows. While I didn’t love it quite as much as I did Nightingale House, which was just a killer ghost story, it still had the same kind of great writing and plotting I loved from Nightingale House and was a very solid and fast-paced mystery/thriller.

The basic plot of the story is one that has been done before: Jacob, the first-person narrator, has a missing girlfriend who is presumed dead. Suddenly
debbicat *made of stardust*
Bought this for $2.99 on kindle to read with friends. I think it was ok. I enjoyed parts of it. Hated the ending. Not going to be an author on my radar. But...it did pass the time. A review I read on Amazon prior to buying it said it was like Stars Hollow meets Racing in the Rain. No. It was not. I can see comparisons. But no. Just no.

I did love reading about the sleepy little town of Dark Hollow complete with coffee shop, air BnB cabin in the woods with smores. The sweet pup, Murphy; my favori
Linda Strong
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jacob Reese runs/owns a coffee shop and rents out his cottage in the Hollows. He lives a quiet life and makes enough money that he doesn't have to worry about paying the bills.

The only problem Jacob has ... he keeps seeing his ex-girlfriend everywhere he goes. But it surely can't be Laura .... Laura is dead. So who is the woman who looks eerily like Laura and like bad penny keeps turning up.

Things of Laura's keeps showing up ... a music box left outside his house .... a gift of a twig doll he ga
Katie (never.ending.reading.list)
This was a solid creepy read!
I was hooked instantly on this story. The setting was awesome and you really rooted for the main character - even though he was clearly flawed he was super likable throughout.
There was a huge creep factor throughout and the suspense carried through until the end.
My problems with this one were some pretty ridiculous plot lines and the ending fell flat for me.
Overall I really enjoyed it though and am looking forward to reading more of his work!
Natasha | readwithnatasha
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jacob lives a quiet life – runs a coffee shop and an airbnb type cottage. A guest stays in his cottage who looks eerily like his ex-girlfriend. After that, he sees her everywhere. But it can’t be her because she’s dead. Someone must know Jacob’s secret.

I love the writing in this book. It was beautiful and simple and easy to read. I was sucked in from the beginning. I loved Jacob and his sidekick doggo, Murphy.

The ending is where it kind of fell short for me, but only barely. 4.5 stars
Christi M
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
I was really hoping to love this book, but now that I’ve finished reading it I think this may be more of a “It’s not you, it’s me” type of situation. When I first saw this book on Netgalley, my immediate sense was that it was going to be a gothic, creepy, even perhaps ghostly story. However, upon reading, I found it was more of a psychological thriller about a man who’s past comes back to haunt him. As I read the story and found that it wasn’t quite what I had originally thought, I also ran into ...more
Nancy
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Oh snap, the ending to this book left me hanging. You’re in the middle of a truth or dare situation and it’s left to your imagination on which way it went. I liked this book, glad I read it.
Christina
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read and loved Steve Frech’s “Nightingale House,” so I was super excited to read Dark Hollows. This is Frech’s first book, written before Nightingale House. While I didn’t love it quite as much as I did Nightingale House, which was just a killer ghost story, it still had the same kind of great writing and plotting I loved from Nightingale House and was a very solid and fast-paced mystery/thriller.

Kailee’s Book Nook
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love thriller books with coffee. I love thriller books with dogs. This was a great recommendation by a booksta friend!

Jacob runs a coffee shop and has a furry partner-in-crime named Murphy. An intriguing yet mysterious woman shows up at his rental property and leaves behind a note, which has Jacob rattled.

“That wasn’t Laura Aisling. It can’t be, because Laura Aisling is dead, and I thought I was the only one who knew that.”

I really love the writing style and that the author goes back in tim
Denise
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The werewolf "brings destruction to itself and all those around it. It is in his nature."

Jacob Reese, former bagman for a small time drug dealer, has gone straight. He's bought himself a coffee shop in The Hollows, a tiny town in Vermont. Once Groundworks was in the red, Jacob decided to turn a cottage on his property into a B&B, taking advantage of the huge tourist traffic in that New England area. Although he's careful about his renters, he makes a mistake when he hosts Rebecca Lowden to stay
Melanie’s reads
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a lovely way to lose an afternoon, curled up in new pjs and slippers warm cup of sugary tea and a gripping book.
There was so much I loved about this book, the descriptive setting of The Hollows in Vermont sounded so beautiful and idyllic I would move there if it wasn't for the cold winters. Also the Halloween timing was perfect especially with the creepiness starting to surround Jacob. I will never again sit in a booth at a coffee shop and I'm glad I drink tea. Still shuddering after th ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook

3.5 Stars

Dark Hollows is a spooky, atmospheric, Gothic thriller full of suspense. I love mysteries set in old, creepy houses, so I was very excited to read Dark Hollows. I enjoyed this book immensely, even though I guessed some of the twists. It still unnerved me and made my heart race. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Gothic vibes and mysteries.

This was a relatively short book, with long chapters and I think that helped the suspense factor. The cover is amazing and it helped me
Rachel
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The cover and synopsis for this book caught my attention, but sadly this one fell flat for me.

We meet Jacob Reese, a man who is enjoying a quiet life in the Hollows with his dog Murphy. He owns a coffee shop and rents out a little cottage on his property. When a guest shows up that looks like his ex-girlfriend it completely shatters his peaceful life he’s created. His ex-girlfriend Laura is dead, he knows this to be true. But whoever this guest is, she’s completely messing with his head and his
ForTheThrillofBooks
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jacob Reese is living the quite life in Dark Hollows, a small town in Vermont. He owns and runs a coffee shop and rents out a cottage on his property. But Jacob also has a secret, one which no one knows until a woman, who eerily looks like his ex girlfriend Laura, rents his cottage for one night. Suddenly, Jacob’s quiet life is thrown into turmoil as he begins to see Laura everywhere. Is someone messing with his head, someone who knows his dark past? It can’t possibly be Laura, because Laura is ...more
Shalini
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a fun read. Jacob Reece enjoyed his life with his dog Murphy. Then things started happening, and the past came hurling down on him.

My first book by author Steve Frech, the story was kinda formulaic, but the writing kept me bound to the kindle. Jacob was not very likable, and neither were his decisions. But that's what made him so easy to connect. Everything was about survival instinct with him. And I liked how the author showed me that.

I knew where the story was going, but I couldn't stop
Cheryl
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Secrets from the past

Jacob Reese had a rocky time during his college years but finally settled down, bought some property with a cottage he rents, and started a successful coffee shop in Vermont in a quaint small town.

He has a past that he put behind him but someone is leaving him clues that they know about the past and aren't going to let it rest.

I enjoyed this fast-paced thriller with some twists and turns I didn't expect. I especially liked Murphy, Jacob's dog.

I will definitely keep an eye ou
Kali Thomas
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

This was a fast, enjoyable read. The twist wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped, but I read a ton of mystery/thrillers so I tend to be a little picky. I really appreciated the details of the town as well as the narrator's relationship with his dog. It felt so genuine.

Thanks so much to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read it!
Jayme
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins for the ARC of Dark Hollows by Steve Frech. This is my first time reading a book by this author and it won’t be the last!

Jacob Reese runs a coffee shop and cottage rental property in The Hollows, Vermont. He enjoys living the quiet life with his dog, Murphy. Just when he is about to make it big with an investor who is interested in franchising his coffee shop, strange things begin to happen. Someone is trying to sabotage his good fortune by pretending to
Rachel Bridgeman
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: december

Many thanks to the awesome folk at HQ Stories for the chance to be involved in the blogtour for ‘Dark Hollows’ by Steve Frech which I enjoyed and read overnight-it is a very quick read in that it doesn’t involve a great deal of focussing on plot points, you just go along with the ride and enjoy it for what it is, a really good use of your time.

As for breathtaking twist…regular readers of this blog will know by now the massive groans with which I greet a book which promises something that I will
Mae Clair
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure if I liked Jacob, the MC in this book. He made horrible decisions when he was younger, causing his past to catch up with him in an unexpected way. What I do know is that I disliked the person who turned on him a helluva lot more—and that made for interesting reading.

Jacob owns a quaint coffee shop called Groundworks in the small town of Dark Hollows. His workers, and the people who populate the town, are wonderful characters although their roles are relatively small (the Halloween
Lel Budge
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in New England and after the death of his parents, Jacob used his inheritance to buy a home in The Hollows, it also has a cottage which he lets out as holiday lets. He also owns a local coffee shop.

He lets out the cottage to a woman who doesn’t fit his usual letting criteria, but it’s only for a short let. When she arrives, she seems a bit familiar and he realises she looks very much like his ex, Laura. But he knows that Laura is dead.

Jacob starts to find out more and as he does, the secrets
Samantha
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was propulsive and fun to read, but it really doesn’t hold up as a quality mystery/thriller.

When the first mention of the villain comes 80% into the book, there’s an obvious flaw in structure and plot. Furthering the problem was that upon thinking back to earlier events in the story, it becomes clear that the villain somehow knew things they could not possibly have known about the protagonist and another central character based on the timeline.

I certainly didn’t hate reading this, as it’s
Kelli
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC! I loved this book! I hope the author writes more. 😉 I especially enjoyed how he shifted from present time to the past. I read a lot and have never seen an author use that method to switch around. It was very clever! I wish The Hollows was a real place. I’d love to sip some Groundworks coffee while hanging out with Murphy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Malice (Detective Kaga, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Devotion
  • Home Truths
  • The Eighth Girl
  • The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels
  • The Little Book of Drawing Dragons  Fantasy Characters: More than 50 tips and techniques for drawing fantastical fairies, dragons, mythological beasts, and more
  • A Boy and a House
  • After She Wrote Him
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Sacrificial Man (Cate Austin, #2)
  • Everybody Lies
  • Desperate
  • Pretty Revenge
  • The Italian
  • In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)
  • The Tenant (Korner and Werner, #1)
Steve Frech lives in Los Angeles. His best-selling thrillers, DARK HOLLOWS, NIGHTINGALE HOUSE, and DEADLY GAMES, are available in all e-book formats and paperback from HQ Stories & Harper Collins.

The first novel in his new thriller detective series, CHERRY LANE, will be published in September 2021.

In addition to writing, he is the co-creator of 'Sports? with Jessimae Peluso' for Comedy Central. He

News & Interviews