Start by marking “A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)

A Match for Emma

(Mitchell's Crossroads #3)

Emma Mitchell may enjoy sprinkling romance into the lives of others, but her own plans involve a single first-class ticket to culinary school in Europe.

When her best friend, Jon Noble, suddenly moves back to Ransom, Emma’s fairly certain her life can’t get any better…until her matchmaking schemes nosedive, her culinary future falls flat, and a life-long friendship begins
Kindle Edition
Published November 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Match for Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Match for Emma

Start your review of A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
Susan

I absolutely adored A Match for Emma! While I have enjoyed all of the stories in the Mitchell's Crossroads series, I have to say this is my favorite. Her love for the people and the beautiful Appalachian mountains that are her home make an unforgettable setting for her stories. If I could name one fictional town I would love to visit, it would be Ramson.

Pepper Basham is a master storyteller, weaving together endearing characters, Appalachian humor, romance and a compelling inspirationa
Rachel Scott
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brace yourselves because I’m about to go into extreme fangirl mode over Pepper Basham’s third novel in the Mitchell’s Crossroads series- A Match For Emma.

There’s so much I can gush about. First off, I was grateful for the opportunity to revisit the charming town of Ransom and the fun cast of characters I’ve grown to love! (And maybe even obsess over. LOL) It was like ‘coming home’ in a way because this author always invites us readers into the heart of her stories. Mama Mitchell’s sage advice. D
Staci
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
It was great to return to Ransom. I could feel the small town warmth and see the beautiful scenery. Emma's brother Trigg and Mama Mitchell were great secondary characters. In this novel, I just didn't connect with Emma. The epilogue was wonderful though - loved it.
Brittany
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t say enough good things about this book! I absolutely love the Mitchell’s Crossroads series and have been anxiously awaiting Emma and Jon’s novel. I expected their friendship to love story to be especially precious, as feelings of comraderie began to turn in a romantic direction. Well, the story highly surpassed my expectations and has left me with the most wonderful of happily-ever-after feelings of joy since I finished reading it.

Jon and Emma were so obviously right for each other and i
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
It took me a while to get into this somewhat leisurely-paced story and connect with the characters, but by the halfway point I was invested and eager to see Jon and Emma finally realize what they have. The plot follows Jane Austen's Emma so it felt too predictable, but it was fun to match up the characters and see how the author put her own twist on the story with the details. There is a strong sense of community in Ransom, and especially at Daphne's cafe, where Emma practices new recipes on unw ...more
Kara
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh friends, this was super cute! I’ve been a fan of Ms. Basham’s for a few years now, especially since she seems to love Jane Austen as much as I do. ;) So when I heard this one was going to be based off of Austen’s Emma, I knew I was in for a treat. And oh what a sweet treat it is! I love a good friends-to-lovers trope and it is presented so very wonderfully here. Plus there’s the southern charm of the Mitchell clan and the town they call home which just burrows down deep in my southern-born-an ...more
Kate
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Jon and Emma were the perfect example of a good best-friend relationship. I loved that they were both willing to step out on a limb and call each other out for things that the other did that were unbecoming of who they were meant to be as Christians. Most of all, I loved that God's grace and mercy were themes woven through this novel, especially in the closing chapters.
Though the romance part of the book wasn't my favourite aspect of the story, it definitely shone a bright lig
MJSH
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
"She told me yesterday that sometimes God's paths are too dark for us to see, but that we don't need to be afraid, because God can see in the dark. He knows the way."

Such a heart-rending story of loss, owning the grief, and finding hope in the midst of grief. With her sharp sense of humor and great banter, Pepper Basham livens up the predictable plot that closely follows Jane Austen's Emma with the lovable characters of the Mitchell clan. Jon and Emma's past grief and how they deal with it prese
Kailey
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Pepper Basham, but it definitely won’t be my last. Her book is the perfect romantic comedy. I found myself laughing out loud and all but swooning over Jon and Liam. I loved that this was a modern day retelling of Emma. This book is so good!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Carole Jarvis
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/34asUna

A Match for Emma is a special story that speaks to my heart. No matter the location or time period, Pepper Basham spins a great story, but nowhere does she shine more than with Appalachian settings. Southern mores and phrases add to the story’s charm, taking me back to my growing up years in the mountains of north Georgia. Basham paints pictures with her words and creates rich, memorable characters.

A Match for Emma is the story of Emma and Jo
Denise Hershberger
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Basham has done it again! Another fantastic book. I can't stop smiling at how everything worked out.

Friends to lovers isn't my favorite trope, but it worked well in this story - a modern day retelling of Jane Austen's Emma.

I really liked Jon a lot. He seemed to be quite wise and willing to admit his shortcomings. He was a great friend and also a great son - even if he wasn't perfect at either.

Many of the characters in this book have to learn hard lessons. Also, many of them haven't had easy liv
Beth Erin
Full review on FaithfullyBookish.com

Pepper Basham has crafted a heartwarming story, inspired by Austen’s Emma, and set in the cozy modern-day community of small-town Ransom, nestled in the Blue Ridge.

Emma Mitchell is relatable, loyal, and endearing. She is young and starry-eyed. Emma has dreams and plans and princess-like hair and a seemingly endless supply of optimism. I love that Emma is driven yet teachable.

Jonathan Noble fits the role of modern Mr. Knightley in all the best and swoony ways.
Martha
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author's rendition of friendship to romance was perfect in this novel with sprinkles of the classic "Emma" story throughout. I loved the unique characters, and how you got to see some hints of previous characters as well.
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read
I’m starting out this review by saying that I love everything about this book. I love the contemporary setting of the story. I loved the hometown characters; the beautiful small town setting in the Blue Ridge mountains: the dialogue that flows easily; and the discussions of faith that are scattered through the storyline. But most of all, I loved Pepper Basham’s characterization of Emma.

I’ve been a Jane Austen fan for many years. “Emma” is one of my favorite books ever, and I reread it at least o
Suzie Waltner
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve held off on writing this review for a couple of days in an attempt to tone down the gushing but fair warning, there will still be plenty of that happening!

It’s no secret that I am an avid fan of the friends-to-more trope. There’s just something about two people knowing each other so well and that blossoming into a love that becomes a natural progression. Add in some of that Pepper Basham humor and, of course, chemistry and then spice it up with some references to Jane Austen’s Emma, and thi
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I want to play scrabble - everyday. And I want to visit Ransom, and I want to pretend I'm not from NY so that I can impress someone with my fancy NY accent. That aside - and you'll understand these things when you read the book - this just might be my favorite friends to romance story! It is so sweet, charming, and just knock-your-socks-off good.

Here's the thing - Basham is the queen of romance and kissing scenes. She just is. She builds up the exact amount of tension for both the characters an
Rebekah Millet
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pepper Basham continues her reign as the queen of romantic comedies and heartfelt romances. What I wouldn’t give for the entire Mitchell's Crossroads series to be made into movies or better yet, a TV series. This third novel in the series returns us to the Mitchell family while focusing on the youngest daughter of the bunch, Emma. And although it’s based off of Jane Austen’s novel, the Blue Ridge Mountain setting and cast of colorful characters, brings a fresh spin and true appeal. If there were ...more
Casey
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindle
*Happy sigh*. It was the sound of bliss and joy when I finished reading this delightful story. Like being wrapped in a warm hug from a dear friend, A Match for Emma perfectly encapsulates the warmth of southern hospitality while packing spiritual truth and entertainment value into this fun and relaxing story.

A Match for Emma hit my nightstand at just the right time. A perfect escape from life's stressors, Emma's and Jon's chemistry and friendship on the page became my quick escape and a pleasur
Courtney Clark
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Match for Emma is the quintessential contemporary romance with a little Austen, a little Appalachia, and a whole lot of heart. I loved returning to Ransom and the Mitchell clan's territory for Emma's story. With subtle nods and influence from Jane Austen's classic Emma, Pepper Basham weaves a deeper tale of friendship, trust, romance, grace, and even touches on grief and pride through the stories of Jon and Emma.

The slow-growing romance has the right amount of tension for the reader to be full
Necee
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Hallmark-ish aura of Ransom” may just be rubbing off on these two best friends. When Jon Noble comes home after being gone 3 years and reunites with Emma Mitchell, both of their lives are about to change forever. Can two friends become kissing friends? After all, those hugs are like coming home…

If you want to read about the perfect hug and all the hometown feels, this book is for you. Pepper Basham’s love of family will wrap around your heart and have you yearning for family and/or wanting
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
A MATCH FOR EMMA is a fun and sweet retelling of Jane Austen's Emma. Readers will fall in love with this small town, the close family relationships and friendships, and especially with these charming characters. Recommended to fans of Christian contemporary romance.

Oh my goodness! I loved falling into this story! Emma and Jon were so adorable, especially with all their teasing, ribbing, and close friendship. I also loved how close their families were, as well as the charm of Daphne's cafe and th
Gail Hollingsworth
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I throughly enjoyed this story so much! It was great to visit the Mitchell family once again in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I’ve read several of the author’s books but these are my favorites. Being from the Deep South myself, I get a chuckle from some of the wonderful sayings and phrases used by the author to portray the mountain people in such a fun and loving way.
Emma, the youngest Mitchell, is saving as much money as she can to afford a trip to Europe to culinary school. All is going well until
Anne
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something about helping one person find a ‘home’ in the heart of another person brought a sense of rightness.

A Match for Emma is my favorite Basham novel so far. Anyone who has read this authors works knows the level of talent within the pages. Incredible can’t even come close to describing it. All the characters jump off the page in this continuing saga, drawing the reader in with snappy dialogue, sharp wit, and love. Lots of love.

Being a contemporary take on Jane Austen’s classic Emma, our Em
Trisha
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
See full review at: https://joyofreadingweb.wordpress.com...

What a super fun story! Pepper Basham’s town of Ransom is such a delightful place to visit, filled with charming characters that are so realistic you feel like you are right there with them! Woven into the very fabric of this story is a reminder of forgiveness and grace, not only for others, but also a reminder of the importance of forgiving yourself.

Vivacious and full of big dreams, Emma has a big heart and wants to see others happy an
Joy
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
Oh how I have longed to go back to Mitchell's Crossroads! This family just invites you in to sit at the table and talk a spell. I will admit that going into this story, I didn't anticipate connecting as much as I did with Emma (that doesn't mean I didn't think I would enjoy it, because I knew I would!). Honestly, it was about a week after I initially read the story that it became clear just how much I actually needed her story (and reading it through a second time drove that home even further). ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'She's Emma. She just moved her fairy tales and dolls to real people. God help us.'

Pepper Basham gives us book 3 in her Mitchell's Crossroads series and we now get Emma's story. Sweet, helpful, lovable, matchmaking Emma. Emma also has a dream to go to culinary school in Europe and she has her travel plans made and two thirds of her money already paid. She can't wait. Then Jon Noble comes back to Ransom with his dad. Jon, who has been Emma's best friend since she was a small girl. But Jon doesn't
Becky
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
I have enjoyed Pepper Basham's books in the past, but I found a new level of enjoyment with A Match for Emma! The main reason is this: of all the Austen heroes, Mr. Knightley is by far my favorite, and Jonathan Noble makes for an excellent Knightley!

A Match for Emma is romantic, amusing, and heart-rending. I love a good friends-to-more romance, and A Match for Emma does the trope well. Emma and Jon have chemistry in spades, and I loved their gradual awakening to their feelings for each other.

I'm
Hallie Szott
Nov 21, 2019 marked it as reviewed
4.5

The third Mitchell’s Crossing novel, A Match for Emma quickly reminded me that I have not read enough from Pepper Basham. From the very beginning, it is a delight to read, bringing a smile to my face again and again.

Inspired by Jane Austen’s Emma, Emma Mitchell’s story involves matchmaking schemes, unwanted setbacks, and a best friendship with the potential for so much more. Through it all, Basham proves adept at giving the classic a contemporary, Appalachian feel. She transports the essence
C. Woodall
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Eye candy and heart candy were two different things. One sweetened the moment, the other sweetened forever.'

In ‘A Match for Emma,’ Pepper Basham skillfully weaves together elements of faith and romance in this tale of how would-be match maker Emma Mitchell and her life-long BFF Jonathan Noble journey from being best friends to something more.

The elements of faith run deep in this story, with Jon and Emma’s courtship illustrating the many facets of Christ’s relationship with His bride the church
Caitlyn Santi
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful novel! Pepper Basham is one of my favorite authors and her amazing writing talent is showcased in this lovely book! Friends to more is one of my favorite tropes, and the author featured it beautifully in this story, I love love LOVED IT! Jon was such a fabulous hero, sweet and selfless and entirely swoon-worthy! I could definitely relate to Emma, I loved her character growth throughout the story, it touched my heart and served as a reminder of Whose I am and that He will always ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Royally Yours
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • Start With Me
  • Ruby Jane (The Montana Marshalls, #5)
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • Above the Fold
  • If for Any Reason (Nantucket Love Story #1)
  • Molly (Sewing in SoCal, #1)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • Just Like Home (Harbor Pointe, #4)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
Pepper D Basham has been telling tales ever since she was a little girl. When her grandmother called her a “writer” at the age of ten, Pepper took it as gospel and has enjoyed various types of writing styles ever since. A native of the Blue Ridge Mountains, mom of five, speech-language pathologist, and lover of chocolate, Pepper enjoys sprinkling her native Appalachian culture into her fiction whe ...more

Mitchell's Crossroads (3 books)
  • A Twist of Faith (Mitchell's Crossroads #1)
  • Charming the Troublemaker (Mitchell's Crossroads, #2)