Start by marking “Luminous Body” as Want to Read:
Luminous Body

Luminous Body

Pregnancy, motherhood, and family through a cosmic body horror lens. An exceptionally personal story by Brooke Warra with cover art and two interior illustrations by her daughter Zoe Liegh.

Limited to 130 hand-numbered copies.
Published October 24th 2019 by Dim Shores

To ask other readers questions about Luminous Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luminous Body

Start your review of Luminous Body
Sadie Hartmann
“If normal mothers would have been safe and comfortable, reliable, at least mine had been loud and vibrant and hard to ignore. And that was something.”
Review coming!
Christa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There have been several horror writers over the past few years whom, once I’ve read a single instance of their work, I instantly connected with in terms of their subject matter and style, and subsequently desired to read everything they’d ever written, while simultaneously keeping an eye out for any new work they published.

Brooke Warra is one of those horror writers.

Two years ago, for #WIHm, I wrote a guest post for Kendall Reviews entitled “Ten Short Stories by Women in Horror You Need To Rea
Sara Tantlinger
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely spectacular.

"The bodies of my lovers are like celestial terrain. . . If I were to collect their skin, I could make a patchwork galaxy, trace the space between their freckles and scars like constellations, and traverse the dark matter of their flesh."

Warra's writing is enchanting. I never wanted this glorious little chapbook to end, yet the story feels perfectly complete. I feel like this story is something I could continually come back to in different stages of my life, as my mind an
Michael Miller
The H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, Oregon has just celebrated another year of proving that “the Weird never dies.” Amid the festival of cinematic explorations of Lovecraftian horror are also of course numerous publishers in the field from Hippocampus Press to Word Horde to a publisher that has been keeping the Weird alive as a publishing directive – Dim Shores. On hand at the festival was an advance uncorrected proof of their latest publication: Luminous Body by Pacific Northwest wr ...more
Aksel Dadswell
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely mesmerising short work, one of those few pieces of fiction that truly transported me into its story and made me forget the world around me. Warra balances so many layers with such skill here, the nucleus of her story the narrator's life, encapsulated in a series of shifting fragments and memories that flow perfectly into each other, always converging back into the present. This is an astounding character piece that acknowledges the generations of women to come before, and examinati ...more
Donald Armfield
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“If I wake up and this is all a dream, I would have the shape of her cut out of my flesh to remember her by”

What luminous look into the hardships of a woman’s body during pregnancy. And the lovely text just battles with stars that you can reach for and pull into your lap and picture every line.
Copy # 111/130
Dominique Lamssies
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has several great things going for it. First of all is the fact that it's distinctly feminine and you can tell that it was written by a woman, not a guy writing a woman. It deals with the female body in a way that is knowledgeable but frustrated and scared by the things you don't know as only someone who actually lives with that known/unknown can convey. It also manages a brilliant balancing act of dealing with the mysteries of both birth and death at the same time that Weird fiction t ...more
Cindy O’Quinn
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Luminous Body was one of the most intriguing novelettes I’ve read to date. The imagery and prose pulled me into the pages and ripped me to shreds. A well deserved winner of The Shirley Jackson Award!
Bravo, Brooke Warra! Wonderful illustrations by Zoe Liegh!
Sirensongs

• A Scent of New-Mown Hay
  • The Summer that Melted Everything
  • Tales of Horror & the Supernatural
  • Looming Low: Volume I
Brooke Warra grew up in a deep, dark wood where she developed a taste for the weird and macabre. Her work has appeared in various magazines, anthologies, and podcasts. She lives and writes with her children in the Pacific Northwest.