Start by marking “Birdie and Jay” as Want to Read:
Birdie and Jay

Birdie and Jay

From the famed halls of the American Museum of Natural History to the opulent parties of Manhattan’s Gilded Age elite to a muddy dig site that may be hiding a groundbreaking discovery, Birdie & Jay is a captivating historical fiction novel based on true events that will take listeners on an unforgettable journey.

Birdie, a young woman born into wealth, has a deep passion fo
Audible Audio
Published March 19th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Birdie and Jay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birdie and Jay

Start your review of Birdie and Jay
Rebecca
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, arc
Set in New York City during the Gilded Age, Birdie and Jay are from two totally different worlds but that doesn't stop an instant connection from forming between them. Even though Birdie was born into wealth and Jay is an immigrant struggling to find his way, they have many common interests. Will they be able to overcome their upbringings (and Birdie's parents) so they can enjoy a future together?

This was a light, romantic respite during these troubled times, and I'd recommend it for fans of his
Nita
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Birdie and Jay by Ella Olsen is Ella's best yet! An Audible Original that is a 5🌟 performance and the story is a beautiful love romance tucked into the suspense and history of the Gilded Age and trying to find the missing link! ...more
Orly Konig
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve loved all of Ella Joy Olsen’s books and was eagerly anticipating this one, especially as a lover of the Museum of Natural History. Olsen, once again, delivers a perfectly crafted story with beautiful prose and details that bring the reader (listener in this case) deep into the world of Birdie and Jay. I may have even developed a slight crush on Jay.
Anna
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
A heroine who has no backbone whatsoever, no pluck, and could not be more annoyingly submissive. Ugh. What a slog.
Carolynn Birilli
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super sweet- I love the topic, and story. Writing is really good and the characters are all a delight.
K
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing book. The plot, setting, & dilemmas promised an interesting & moving story, but
ignorance and, worse, dismissal of the socio-cultural realities of that day made this a shallow read. Example: The maid loses her job because of the main character’s selfish behavior, but no problem, Daddy finds her a new job, so everything is hunky dory. The gritty reality of employment for servants in that setting is ignored, yet servants are central figures in the book. Shallow characters & lack
Deborah
Jul 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Disappointed! I chose this book from Audible because of an email I received from Audible.com claiming it got rave reviews. Not. It was all I could do to get through it. I would not recommend.
J. Else
Early 1900s, New York. What’s bigger news than the Titanic’s sinking? Finding Darwin’s missing link. Birdie’s family plans to finance the expedition for the Museum of Natural History, with Jay as the museum’s representative. For Birdie, she’s more excited by an invitation to help paint the museum’s bird habitats. Birdie’s mother, though, refuses to have her daughter seen as a working girl and forbids it, so Birdie creates opportunities to sneak away. Despite their different social classes, Birdi ...more
Liz Yokubison
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Birdie & Jay gives the listener the rare gift of being transported back in time by evoking all of your senses. You'll literally hear the rustle of the floor length gowns of New York's ultra-wealthy at the turn of the century and the dig of an archaeologist's shovel in rural England. You'll virtually taste the delectable dishes of posh parties and feel like you're sipping cocktails on the veranda of a summer "cottage" in Newport, Rhode Island, while smelling the fresh sea air. And you'll envision ...more
Joanie
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh, I really wanted/needed to love this novel. After reading to many books about "real" troubles in today's world, I have been longing for a bit of historical fiction combined with a bit of romance to carry me away for a few hours. This novel had potential. The historical parts of the book were terribly interesting to me. The romance between Birdie and Jay also had potential, but I fear the author chose to spent too much time on creating a twisty plot with an evil Count and a social-climing moth ...more
Patti Irwin
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
June Chatelle
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The historical side of this book was interesting. But the author, in her desire to show the reader how it felt to be a woman in the upper echelons of NY society does such a good job, that I felt a sense of dread when Birdie's character took center stage. Other than the two title characters, all the others are 2-dimentional and uninteresting....their main purposes seem to be oppressive or just annoying. And the ending was completely implausible and rushed. ...more
Michele
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Diving into the world of Birdie & Jay will have you exploring the age of scientific discovery and exploration during the early 20th century in New York and England and introduce you to the controversial discovery of the Piltdown Man of 1912. Set against this fascinating historical backdrop is the love story of Beatrice and Jay. This Audible original is such a fun read (listen?) and had me finding longer loops to walk the dogs on just to extend my listening time.
Carole
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Had difficulty getting into the story. Found it more or less formulaic even tho based on actual happenings. Very difficult to believe women actually were so submissive in the early years. In spite of all, we have come a long, long way.
I actually listened to this book on Audible. Not sure I could have stuck with it if I had been reading the book.
Christie Sitterly
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a great listen/read about the forbidden romance between an archaeologist and a debutante. The feelings between the main characters were so raw and palpable that I couldn't help rooting for them. I truly enjoyed this one. ...more
Karin
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobooks
I liked it. Piltdown man and birds. What is not to like? It was a good story and I think I need to read more by this author. I will sprinkle them in with my murder mysteries that are sometimes a bit dark.
Emily Burnett
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was looking for a light, easy read as a short distraction, and this definitely was light and easy! I love sappy romance, so I enjoyed it. Definitely don't read it if you are looking for a masterpiece, but it is cute and light and sappy. ...more
Kathy
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the Victorian era type reads. It always strikes me how snobbish and confining the rich/nobles were. It would be so oppressive for us romantics to live during that time - that marriage was all about bloodline and money instead of love.
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Historical romance, I think more focused towards the YA crowd. I expected a bit more, I like my heroines a little more independent, and I thought the romance was a little rushed and some problems resolved too easily.
Angela
Apr 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story and characters, and the audio performances were fantastic. The American Museum of Natural History is already one of my favorite places on the planet, but this book makes me want to visit it again pronto.
Marianne
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a gem of a story, and I highly recommend it if you love romance. I could not stop listening and am sorry that I finished it. I am aleady missing Birdie and Jay. One of the best audios I have heard this year.
Salwa Alqallaf
Jan 03, 2021 rated it did not like it
سخيفة
Tiff
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, love this author. Well and thoughtfully researched historical fiction about the search for (love and) the missing link in the Gilded Age. Thouroughly enjoyed!
Kelly
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
A nice romantic story, but a little boring.
Sarah Mansfield
Dec 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Inane garbage. Research was planted so un-subtly that it was cringey. Writing felt like middle grade chapter book to me. Ick.
Nicole Hughes
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
It was cute.
Muff
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
The readers are really good, Doyle in particular. While the story itself was slight, the glimpse into life at the cusp of WWI was interesting.
Angela Treese-Landis
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful story, with lovely imagery and strong characters. I really enjoyed it!
Elizabeth Bell
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Birdie and Jay are wonderful characters. I fell in love with them and rooted for them. The ending felt anticlimactic though.
Chmandr
Nov 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Giver of Stars
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • I Found You
  • Silverswift
  • The Little Shop of Found Things (Found Things, #1)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Prisoner of the Queen (Tales From the Tudor Court #2)
  • A Pride of Kings – a captivating tale of love, chivalry and betrayal in Plantagenet England (The Plantagenets Book 1)
  • The Life and Times of Prince Albert
  • Hollywood Godfather: The Life and Crimes of Billy Wilkerson
  • Watch Me Disappear
  • L' Or des Caïds (Ira Dei, #1)
  • Miss Endicott, Tome 1 (Miss Endicott, #1)
  • The Muse
  • Once More Upon a Time
  • The Library of Lost and Found
Ella Joy Olsen lives in Salt Lake City, Utah, a charming town tucked at the base of the massive Wasatch Mountains. She is the mom of three (young adult) kids, the mama of two dogs, and the wife of one patient husband.

Her novels include: the Audible Original BIRDIE & JAY, the Historical Novel Society Editors’ Choice ROOT, PETAL,THORN, and the 15 Bytes Finalist WHERE THE SWEET BIRD SINGS.

She teach