Start by marking “Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)

Moontangled

(The Harwood Spellbook #2.5)

Take one ambitious politician and one determined magician with wildly different aims for their next meeting.

Add a secret betrothal, a family scandal, and a heaping of dangerous fey magic in an enchanted wood...and watch the sparks fly!

For just one moonlit, memorable night, Thornfell College of Magic has flung open its doors, inviting guests from around the nation to an out
Published February 3rd 2020 by Five Fathoms Press

To ask other readers questions about Moontangled, please sign up.
Artur Nowrot While reading the previous entries in the series (Thornbound in particular) will give you much more flavour, all the necessary backstory for the prota…moreWhile reading the previous entries in the series (Thornbound in particular) will give you much more flavour, all the necessary backstory for the protagonists of Moontangled is sketched in here, so you shouldn’t have trouble following the story.(less)

Start your review of Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)
Stephanie
Jan 05, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Finally, Miss Banks and Miss Fennell get their own novella - and it was SO much fun to write! I love these characters and this world. (And I loooove the gorgeous cover by Ravven, too!)

The ebook is available NOW at Amazon, Kobo, B&N, iBooks and Smashwords.

And it's out in gorgeous paperback, too! At the B&N site, you can already see the ebook and paperback editions linked neatly together. Sadly, Amazon hasn't yet worked out that they really are the same book (sigh!), but it is available in both ed
Lindsay
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The latest novella in the Harwood Spellbook series has us revisiting Thornfell several months after the events of Thornbound. The talented student mage Juliana Banks is about to see her secret fiancée Caroline Fennell for the first time since then, but their secret relationship appears to be in some trouble. Then an enchanted night and some fae magic put them both in a difficult situation.

This couple are favourites from earlier books and it's great to see them again as well as the rest of the ca
Joy Perry
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moontangled, a novella by Stephanie Burgis, is a beautiful urban fantasy love story.

I was very impressed by the level of description of the world this story was set in. It was written so eloquently and lovely I truly envisioned myself there. It is the story of Juliana, a student of magic and of Caroline, a magical politician and how their love is tested. I was enraptured by the story of their love and the tidbits of prose scattered throughout.

This was my first traipse into the writings of Stepha
Justine
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted to I Should Read That

I am not proud to admit that I let out a little squeak of delight when I found out that Juliana and Caroline were getting their own novella. Their love story and secret engagement has been playing out in the background for too long! I’m a sucker for secret fiances and star-crossed lovers, so I knew I would love this before I even opened it up.

Burgis does a fantastic job of setti
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
This was a short one. A brief interlude back into the world.

It takes place during one night. Juliana is studying to become a magician. In a world where only men become magicians. She was secretly engaged to Caroline, who wants to become a politician. And a politician can only marry a magician. So if they want to be together, this is the path they must take.

But because of events in book 2 Caroline path to stardom looks grim, and she does not want to take Juliana down with her. Omg people, you are
We've met both Juliana and Caroline before so I'd highly recommend reading the previous books in the series before this novella so that you're familiar with their history. Caroline is an aspiring politician with a bright future ahead of her but only if she follows the tradition of marrying a gentleman magician. The slight hitch in that is that she is madly in love with Juliana and the two are secretly engaged. Juliana was one of the first students to join the first magic school for women, the Th ...more
Teleseparatist
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2020
A charming and warm novella (or perhaps novellette?) with themes about healing from past emotional abuse and a f/f love story set in an alternative regency setting. I wish I could give it more stars, but it just felt short and underdeveloped, particularly at the beginning - I wanted more space to settle into the story, to learn the characters. Instead, it felt like the beginning was a summary rather than the story, and the action started already in the middle, never developing enough for the sta ...more
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
maybe i love caroline fennell and juliana banks with my whole heart

Five Reasons You Should Read This Book

Rep: wlw mcs, trans side character

Galley provided by Stephanie Burgis
Lauren James
[Gifted]
I love this novella series. It's so carefully thought out, with a really interesting take on gender roles in society. I'm a sucker for historical recency magic books, and I've read most of the ones I have found - this is a highlight for me as one of the nicest.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
An adorable f/f romance. Sheer fluffy fantasy cuteness, and I'm not mad at it. This was probably the shippiest of the series for me, which is nice, and it's entirely focused on the romance. I like the plots, but the romance is why I'm here, and I got what I wanted from this one. ...more
Kathy Martin
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third novella in the Harwood Spellbook series and stars Juliana Banks who aspires to be one of the first female magicians and Caroline Fennell whose political career has hid a roadblock when her mentor left the field in disgrace.

The two young women had been secretly engaged for a few years as each worked on their own future. Events come together at a party thrown to showcase the new female magicians where Juliana hopes that their secret engagement can become a public one. But Carolin
Artur Nowrot
Magic! Friendship! Faeries! Dorky lesbians being hopelessly in love! Drama!!!

Another wonderful return to magical Angland, this time focusing on Miss Fennell and Miss Banks – two characters whom I wanted to read more about ever since their first appearance in Snowspelled. Now finally we get their story and it’s everything I could have asked for.

The tumultous events of Thornbound affected their relationship, and now, meeting for the first time in months, sparks fly in more ways then one. While the
Llinos
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, sf-f, romance
I enjoyed this novella SO MUCH. I've been desperate since Snowspelled came out to learn more about Miss Fennell and Miss Banks and this was so worth the wait! But I think this would still be delightful even without having read the rest of the series.

Moontangled has a bit of everything I love in a romance - angst, yearning, opposites attract, sweetness with an undercurrent of passion, characters who learn and grow together, floofy dresses, dramatic kissing, characters trying to be noble and self-
Iona Sharma
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
Lovely, gentle f/f romance, with delicious misunderstandings.
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I am so happy to continue the Harwood Spellbook series . Moontangled is a novella which is a gift from the author to readers.  I would not call it a standalone; you need to read the series to know the characters and what lead the couple to this point. The overall series arc about women practicing magic and various politi
Jasmine
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely adorable, I ship it, I hope they show up in Harwood books forever.
Chessela Helm
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful fantasy about two ladies' love at risk. I read Snowspelled, but not the second Harwood book, yet I had no trouble following things here. I liked both Caroline and Julianna, and the peek into Julianna's magician friends gives me hope they may eventually get their own stories. The conflict here comes mostly from the threat to their relationship, but the addition of outside pressures kept me turning the pages. I like the worldbuilding in this series, and I think this was better than Bo ...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
With big wigs in attendance for a formal ball scheduled at the Thornfell College of Magic, Juliana is excited to finally see the love of her live, and secret fiancee, Caroline. It’s been three months since Juliana and Caroline were together. It was then that Caroline’s aunt was utterly disgraced and cast out of the Boudiccate, shaming Caroline in the process. Since that moment, Caroline has kept a cool distance from Juliana, trying to protect her from the shame of her aunt’s betrayal.

Moontangle
IsagelCharles
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[I received an Advance Reading Copy of this novella via the author’s mailing list in exchange for an honest review.]
I adore The Harwood Spellbook series and I loved seeing more of this f/f couple who have been supporting characters in the earlier books. I found Juliana’s viewpoint in particular very easy to identify with; as always the psychology behind the romance feels very genuine. A lovely magical adventure that warmed my heart - I can’t wait to see what any future books in this universe wil
Heather Jones
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Juliana Banks and Caroline Fennell have been secretly engaged for...well, for the last couple books, but there’s one major obstacle to their love. No, not the fact that they’re both women, but the fact that in order to have a successful career as part of the ruling Boudiccate of Angland, Caroline must marry a magician. And until the establishment of the Thornfell (Women’s) College of Magic, only men were magicians. Now that Juliana is a star pupil at Thornfell, why has Caroline grown cold and di ...more
hedgehog
2.5*. I haven't read the other books in the series, but this is a f/f novella and I picked it up on those merits. Can I recommend it? Not really, at least not as a standalone. Most of the wordcount was devoted to either explaining events that I assume took place in earlier books, or over-explaining everything else (the characters' feelings, motives, the scene that passed for plot, etc.). It kind of felt like all climax and no buildup. But I'm giving it an extra half star for this part:
If she lo
Jess
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wish this had been a little longer, but I really liked the relationship in trouble/working together against a common enemy parts. I hope they keep getting good cameos in whatever works come next in the series.
Sharade
Review to come soon! Sweet, romantic lil' story :) ...more
El Hyrst
Thanks to Stephanie Burgis for an Advanced Reader's Copy of this lovely novella.

Full review available on my blog: https://inkandplasma.wordpress.com/20...

I really enjoyed this. I read it curled up on the sofa on a chilly afternoon and it was the perfect short, romantic read. I'm usually pretty fussy about my romances, I'm aro and personally I find I'm easy made uncomfortable by over-the-top romance. I didn't get that in this novella, and it meant I could get invested in their relationship.

I thin
Merit
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The latest instalment in the Harwood Spellbook series, set in an alt-19th C where roles outlined for men and women are strict - men are the magicians, with a reputation to uphold and women are the politicians and leaders, tasked with leading Angland. After months of absence, Juliana, one of the first female magician students, is set to meet her distant fiance, Caroline, a rising politician, at the school's first ball. What follows is epic misunderstandings, noble sacrifices, fey bargains and gra ...more
Katie
Miss Banks and Miss Fennell get their own novelette this time around, as we get more insight into their relationship and the tensions and misunderstandings that have persisted between them since the events of Thornbound.

I enjoyed this one, but not quite as much as the earlier stories. I like that Julianna and Caroline get their happy ending, and that we get a little more on the lives of the Harwood family, and events surrounding them.

A nice instalment in the series, but not my favourite.
Siobhan
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really love the latest in the Harwood series, they are a great series of short stories that really lift me up if I'm having a hard day. I would recommend (and have done) to anyone who wants to be cheered up and engulfed in a lovely alternate world. ...more
Nicole
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, lgbt-rep
This is a really sweet installment of the series focusing on a f/f side couple from the main plotline. I was glad to get their story, and to get a follow-up to some of the events in Thornbound.
Annathea
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was perfect light read.
Jaime Moyer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel really lucky that I got to read this novella before the official release date. MOONTANGLED is the third Harwood Spellbook Novella, and the third one I've read. Stephanie Burgis' books are a big reason I've become a fan of romantic fantasy.

This novella had everything I could ask for: strong female protagonists, a misunderstanding that leads to danger, threatening Fae, magic and romance and a HEA ending.

I truly enjoy these novellas. I hope the series continues!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Of Dragons, Feasts and Murders (Dominion of the Fallen, #3.5)
  • Paladin's Grace (The Saint of Steel, #1)
  • The Perilous Life of Jade Yeo
  • Soulstar (The Kingston Cycle, #3)
  • Paladin's Strength (The Saint of Steel, #2)
  • Consolation Songs: Optimistic Speculative Fiction For A Time of Pandemic
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Half a Soul (Regency Faerie Tales, #1)
  • Ten Thousand Stitches (Regency Faerie Tales, #2)
  • Fireheart Tiger
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • The Gentle Art of Fortune Hunting
  • Masquerade in Lodi (Penric & Desdemona, #9)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut Universe #1)
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • The Four Profound Weaves
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Mr X", and our sweet (and extremely vocal) tabby cat, Pebbles. I write fun, funny MG fantasy novels (most recently The Princess who Flew with Dragons) and wildly romantic adult historical fantasy novels and novellas (most recently Moontangled).

To get early sneak peeks at new sto

The Harwood Spellbook (2 books)
  • Snowspelled (The Harwood Spellbook, #1)
  • Thornbound (The Harwood Spellbook, #2)