Start by marking “The Reckless Kind” as Want to Read:
The Reckless Kind

The Reckless Kind

A genre-defying debut, this queer historical YA centers a wild and reckless trio who fly in the face of small town tradition—full of compassion, love, and determination to live the lives of their choosing.

It's Norway 1904, and Asta Hedstrom doesn't want to marry her odious betrothed, Nils—even though a domestic future is all her mother believes she's suited for, on account
Expected publication: November 2nd 2021 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Reckless Kind, please sign up.
Siavahda One of the main characters is a half-deaf asexual girl, and the other two main characters are boys who end up in a romantic + sexual relationship; one…moreOne of the main characters is a half-deaf asexual girl, and the other two main characters are boys who end up in a romantic + sexual relationship; one of the young men is also disabled (lost his arm) and dealing with depression because of it.

The three of them together are a queerplatonic unit.(less)

Start your review of The Reckless Kind
Marieke du Pré
It’s being different, not being imperfect, which got one in trouble.

Three outcasts in 1904, one of them ace, the other two gay: a half deaf and different looking girl who doesn’t want to marry and have kids, an honest heathen, dealing with depression who has just lost his arm below his elbow, and a sensitive and anxious boy who favors art over hunting and fishing.

I loved the queer rep. I loved the disabled rep. I loved the chosen family. I loved Asta, Erlend, and Gunnar and their love for each o
theresa
Aug 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
this sounds kinda wild and i need it. also queer platonic triad? ace mc? yes please

I also talk about books here: youtube | instagram | twitter
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Jun 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
A beautiful and triumphant debut; this trio of fierce yet loving queer teens boldly making their way in the world has won a place in my heart, just like they will yours!

More queerplatonic triads, please! I'm having some serious book hangover after finishing this--the characters were so lovingly rendered and easy to want to know! This book is everything. <3
roma
Jun 26, 2021 rated it did not like it
dnf at 61%

rep: disabled ace mc, mlm disabled mc's

The Reckless Kind isn't a bad book, I just didn't get much out of it and was bored the entire time waiting for something to happen. After more than half the book was done, it still had nothing in the way of plot. The annual winter horse race isn't even mentioned till around 45% and there was absolutely no plot just people running around to work and visiting people. Like jane austen but without the wit, the cutting class critique or interesting ch
Teddy
Aug 20, 2021 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
*shrieks happily* ACE MC ACE MC ACE MC
Carly Heath
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi Friends!

I thought I’d tell you all a little about my book, why I love it, and why I hope you will too! This is a novel about creating your own family when you’ve been let down by the one you’re born into. It’s about defying societal traditions and being authentic despite pressures to conform.

All the main characters in The Reckless Kind are queer and disabled. Though they face challenges from their families and the townsfolk, their uncomplicated love and support of each other shines above all
Diana Pinguicha
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute pleasure of providing a blurb for this beautiful book!

“Although the setting might be the cold fjords of Scandinavia, The Reckless Kind is a book full of warmth, heart, and grit. Through great tragedies and even greater love, it captures from the first word with its stellar writing and vivid characters a truly beautiful story that will wrap around your heart and never let go.”

Pre-pub:
I was a beta reader for this book and I’m so happy more people will get to read it too! THE REC
Claire
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am beyond excited for this book!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Oct 09, 2020 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Helloooooo to this book that features an ace main character and a queer platonic triad!!! Wow!!
 Gabriele | QueerBookdom
DRC provided by Soho Teen via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

Representation: queer asexual hard of hearing protagonist with heterochromia of Norwegian descent, gay protagonist of French descent, gay amputee deuteragonist of Norwegian descent, queer tertiary character of Norwegian descent, secondary and tertiary characters of Norwegian descent, tertiary characters of French descent.

Content Warning: death, homophobia, slurs, violence, sexism, anxiety, depression, alcoholism, suicide i
Deja
Jul 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by the immense amount of heart and soul packed into this short and sweet story of love, defiance, and overcoming pain.

Though I will admit the plot would leave some to be desired in the eyes of someone looking for an action-fueled story, I was immediately engrossed in the relationship between Erland, Gunnar, and Asta and how the three of them existed in tandem and individually as excellent and unique queer and disabled characters.

The struggles these characters face are tragical
Kate
Jul 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Asta, Gunnar, and Erlend forge their own paths and craft their own family in rural Scandinavia in 1904 - a time and place where being queer and disabled makes many locals - including their own families - treat them like outcasts. The richly-detailed setting, the love and compassion for animals, and the MCs' devotion to each other shine! Thank you to Soho Teen for the eARC. ...more
rachel ☾
Set in 1904 Norway, the novel follows a trio of queer teens—two boys and their best friend, Asta—who decide to defy the expectations of their rural Scandinavian village by leaving their families, living on their own, and challenging the town's patriarch in the region's annual winter horse race.

brb, crying over 'ace main character & queerplatonic triad' 😭🙏

BlogTrigger Warning DatabaseTwitterInstagram
Starr ❇✌❇
I received an ARC from Edelweiss
TW: ableism, homophobia (historical), implied hate crime, knife violence, suicidal comments, aphobia, horse caused injuries & fatalities
4.2

When three teens, each faced with futures they don't want- and who all want each other- run away to try to capture a piece of domestic bliss with each other they aren't prepared for the hardships they're faced with. Gunnar, physically disabled and full of guilt and grief, may be in love with Erlend but he doesn't want to be
Kristi Tragethon
Aug 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review,

There was so much I loved about this book. The Norwegian setting. The queer rep. The disabled rep. The chosen family. Asta and the boys, Erlend and Gunnar. Their love for each other. And their decision to choose who they want to be.

Although it took me a while to get into this book and the dual POV (it just felt slow at times and I wasn’t feeling what I wanted to feel, or what I knew I should be
Gretal
Aug 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: yarc
While there were a number of things I really liked about this, especially in regards to the queer and disabled rep, there were a few choices the author made that I wish had been done differently.

Firstly: the romance. I think it would have been better if it was already established instead of happening super quickly 40 pages in. In fact, that’s what I thought I was getting from this book based on the jacket copy.

Secondly: Gunnar and Erlend call each other by their last names which felt awkward mos
Lee
[The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.]

CN: mentions of child abuse, violence, suicidal ideation, parent death, bodily injuries

I really liked this book! It contains so many things I love:

- queer rep (aspec and achillean)
- disability rep (especially Waardenburg Syndrome, Post-Concussion Syndrome, Brown-Séquard Syndrome)
- all main characters are queer and disabled
- queerplatonic triad
- found family
- cute horses
- lots of animal saving
- coz
Sarah-Hope
Oct 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
The central characters in The Reckless Kind are the sorts of people I wish I could have found in YA literature back when I was YA. Gunnar and Erland are gay; Asta is asexual; fifteen-year-old Fred, Gunnar's younger brother, is responsible for the family horse shoeing business, now that their mother has died; all are disabled. Together—and in the face of a great deal of pressure from the local "Godly" community—they fight to turn themselves into a family. Set in 1904 Norway, The Reckless Kind is ...more
GivernyReads
I loved reading this book. It was unique and full of diversity. I loved the queer and disabled rep throughout the book. It was fun to read and had a few touches of realism in it.

Things I loved about the book:
- I loved the trio. (Asta, Erlend, and Gunnar). Their love for each other was so heart-warming. I loved how the author had them face trials throughout the book, proving they chose each other and would stay together.
- When Asta dyed her hair. I loved how she looked at her differences and saw
Rachael | ☾ whimsicalfiction ☾
Jul 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
This was a very sweet short read. I loved reading the author’s explanations, both at the beginning and end of the book that detailed her decisions in creating characters that represented a variety of deviations from the societal norms of the time period. It’s so rare to get diverse representation in historical fiction, especially in regards asexual representation and disability representation. The book was slow paced at times and I found myself more interested in Astra and her storyline than I d ...more
Ele #FreePalestine
Sep 23, 2021 marked it as to-read-ya
Shelves: ace
Reasons I am hyped for this book even though I just came across it:

- Disability rep
- Ace + queerplatonic rep
- It's set in Norway instead of one of your other basic histfic settings
Chaitanya Srivastava
This book took me forever to read.

I definitely enjoyed this, but it wasn't something that I loved.

I found the writing style to be extremely dense for a young-adult novel. It constantly kept me away from getting fully submerged in the story.

Having said that, I really liked how the disability rep was handled.

The M/M relationship was also a cherry on the cake!

Jessie Lee
Jun 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite books of all time. This book brought that magic of reading back to me--the kind that made me hide in the library at lunch in school to finish reading instead of hanging out with friends. These characters and the love between them will make you cry. A powerful representation of queer and disabled characters living their lives as they wish and not letting anyone tell them who to be.
Celadon Phoenix
Jul 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Elizabeth Hagenlocher
My overall impression is that this is a nice, heartfelt read. 3.5 Stars

The premise is that three young adults in a 1900s village in Norway create their own found family after their community basically shuns them. (Although, in reality, there are four of them. Not sure why they leave one character out of this.). Their way of life flies in the face of this traditional Christian town because none of them want to conform for everyone else's "comfort."

I really enjoyed that we get to witness each of
Joanna Goodrich
Sep 08, 2021 rated it it was ok
This book was one of my most anticipated releases of this year. It features three queer characters, two of whom are disabled and one of whom deals with anxiety. I wanted to love it but unfortunately it fell flat for me.

We start off by being introduced to Gunnar, who has just had his arm amputated. It was quite confusing to be thrust into the plot like this. I didn’t understand what was happening and you get introduced to characters left and right and I had a hard time keeping track of who was wh
Library of Dreaming (Bookstagram)
Thank you to NetGalley & the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. In 1904 Norway, three disabled teens run away together and enter a horse race after a dire incident. Asta doesn’t want the life that’s been set out for her: marriage and domesticity. She prefers performing at a local theater with her best friend Gunnar and his secret love Erlend. After Gunnar is gravely injured, the three carve out a new life for themselves while bucking society’s rules. But can they find happine ...more
Lanette
Oct 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was a really heartwarming story about three friends in a queerplatonic relationship: Asta, a hearing impaired, asexual badass female lead, her best friend and gravely injured and disabled Gunnar, and his secret boyfriend turned heathen husband, an anxiety riddled Ereland. This story has so many positive themes, like sexual positivity, plan tonic friendships, creating your own family when one has been rejected from their own, animal saving, and mental health.

There are some triggers such as v
Kym's Open Books
“If you are going to be different, you have to be perfect.”

Three outcasts find each other and thrive when together. Society continuously tries to pull them apart. For two gay teens, and a half-deaf and “different-looking” teen, life is never easy.

In 1904, Asta doesn’t want to be forced to marry. If her and her best friend and his secret lover could just all live together, life would be good. So they fight for their happiness.

Many tragedies occur but only seem to bring the 3 together. They nee

• Spice Road (Spice Road Trilogy, #1)
  • A Heavy Dose of Allison Tandy (A Heavy Dose of Allison Tandy, #1)
  • Blood Like Magic (Blood Like Magic, #1)
  • Dangerous Play
  • The Moth Girl
  • Let Loose the Fallen (Children of the Nexus #2)
  • The Secret History
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • Nameless Queen
  • Within These Wicked Walls
  • Rise of the Red Hand (The Mechanists, #1)
  • This Golden Flame
  • The Borgia Confessions
  • The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Holes (Holes, #1)
  • Small Steps (Holes, #2)
Carly Heath (she/they) earned her BA from San Francisco State University and her MFA from Chapman University. Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Carly teaches design, art, theater, and writing for various colleges and universities. She spends all her time and most her money tending to a menagerie of rescued farm animals. The Reckless Kind is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book

There's something so special about each class of debut YA authors; after all, young adult fiction is all about the hopefulness of new...