Start by marking “Church Abuse of Clergy” as Want to Read:
Church Abuse of Clergy

Church Abuse of Clergy

Imagine receiving a shocking email from a church member stating that you, the pastor, have mishandled church funds and that you should resign for the good of the congregation. Soon you discover that the church member sent the email to many other church members. Additional lies will follow until the fateful day comes when the members vote to fire you, or the bishop dismisse ...more
Published March 9th 2020 by Cascade Books

To ask other readers questions about Church Abuse of Clergy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church Abuse of Clergy

Start your review of Church Abuse of Clergy
Derek Kubilus
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
The book and the topic are very important, and as a clergy person who has experienced the kind of abuse Gene catalogs, and as someone who has many colleagues in ministry who have experienced the same thing, I'm overjoyed that someone has now given our experience a name and began to own this very real, very troubling phenomenon.

I especially like Fowler's appeal that the problem is not merely a question of "church conflict," as if what we really need is to find a way to have more productive appro
Gwen
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read some other books about this topic and found this one to be more insightful. I particularly appreciated the way that Fowler was able to connect the dots between the declining church and their abuse of clergy. As a clergy person who has experienced this more than once, I am grateful.

Note: There’s a lot of literature review in this book which sets up his thesis. I found it to be a bit much at times.
Emily
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-researched and thought-provoking book about how congregations can abuse pastors. Fowler looks at existing texts on this subject, synthesizes sources, and provides compelling analysis. To me, this work is especially useful for dying or perceived-to-be-dying mainline churches, but it will benefit the leader of any abusive church system.
NiaDwynwen Thomas