Start by marking “Tough Road (Shakedown)” as Want to Read:
Tough Road (Shakedown)

Tough Road

(Shakedown #0.5)

Rachel's lying, embezzling ex-fiancé has some nerve showing up now—full of accusations and looking so hot.

Rachel Grant worked her fingers to the bone after her fall from society's grace, thanks to her sudden poverty and connection to ex-fiancé Trick Masters who was convicted of embezzlement. How dare he show up after being released and accuse her of framing him. How
Published 2020

To ask other readers questions about Tough Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tough Road

Start your review of Tough Road (Shakedown)
Red Hot Romance Blog
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-reads
Tough Road is a prequel in the Shakedown series. This novella was previously published but was expanded. After reading this I am glad that I did not get to read previously published version because I cannot imagine any parts of that left out.

I could feel the hatred between the Rachel and Trick from the first moment they saw each other. One of my favorite tropes is second chance romances and this was a good one. I totally understand how they both felt about each other. They were so in love the la
Rhonda
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth SaFleur is one of my go to authors when I want a great story. This expanded story was one I read several years ago but Ms. SaFleur has added and revised it and it's so much better. Rachel and Trick have a past and after 3 years in prison, Trick has come to seek revenge. But all is not what it seems. This is a beautifully written second chance at love and I fell in love all over again! Do yourself a favor and pick this little gem up. Even if you've read it before, you'll love this story ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Tough Road by Elizabeth SaFleur is book 0.5 in the Shakedown Series. This is the story of Trick Masters and Rachel Grant. This was a second chance at love story with Trick going to prison and is out looking for revenge. Trick thinks Rachel was the one that put things in motion for him to go there. Now they are back together finding out things were not as they seemed. Enjoyed this story.
Tanja OMGReads
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4star, july, omgreads
It's really funny how sometimes no matter how much time has passed or what someone had done to hurt you, you can't seem to forget them. That's what this story was about with Rachel and Trick. They shared a connection that even a 3 year absence couldn't brake.

As a introduction to the series it was a great way to meet people that will be the MC in the next book.

***Review copy requested and reviewed on behalf of OMGReads Blog***
Donna
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tough Road is a well written tale of a love that started hot and got burned by a lack of communication and maturity but is finding a second chance. This is a sexy, dirty tale of love and redemption.
Dawn
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Rachel’s fiancé, Trick, ran off with her inheritance her life changed. She was forced to quit school and get any job she could. Three years later, when he is released from jail, her anger is at a boiling point. After they run into each other and Trick gets her fired and offers her a job, Rachel begins to see that what she thought had happened really hadn’t. They set out to put the correct person behind bars and begin to feel things for each other again.
Opinion
One word, Smoking! This book is
Breen
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Is this seriously the prequel of a series? Wow! If this is just the beginning I cant imagine how good the series is going to be. There are so many aspect of this plot that I want remark but praising them without giving details is so complicated. Trick and Rachel are the kind of characters that you can’t help but fall in love with every aspect of them. When Trick hurt her and then left there were secrets hide that no one really know but they made me remember the phrase that says ‘Don’t believe e ...more
Kelly Kemmerly
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novella is a small taste of how the Shakedown books will rock your world and bring you down with amazing characters. Trick and Rachel are reunited to face a deceitful past that demands more than forgiveness.
Will Rachel be able to rebuild her trust in Trick?
Can Trick recover from the three years he paid the ultimate price for her?
I couldn't put this one down!! The perfect read for a hot summer day.
Joy Westerfield
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible start to this new series! I can’t even express how much I loved this story. Trick and Rachel are two characters you will completely fall in love with. Years prior these two were in a relationship until one day Rachel couldn’t be with Trick anymore. He did something to her and her brother she could never forgive. But does she know the real truth? Years later they meet up again. By chance? Accidentally? One will never know, but while the attraction is still there, so is the hurt ...more
Salima Queen
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This story starts of steamy.... and then tragedy strikes in the lives of Trick Masters and Rachel Grant! The main story takes place in Shakedown .... a Burlesque night club. When Rachel sees Trick again after so many years, could there love make it back to them. Could they be that hot item they once were. There are a few twists and turns that may shock you but I really enjoyed reading Elizabeth SaFleur story ...
Anita
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Grant leaves on a business trip overseas for a month happily engaged to Trick Masters. When she gets back home she finds out the love of her life is not what he seems, he is jail for embezzlement of her and her step-brothers inheritance money. She is heart broken and furious as she sees that he is punished.
Trick Masters wants to know where the money went that he got accused of stealing. He is out of prison and he has found his former fiancée Rachel, but he can't understand if she duped hi
Anne Baker
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life’s Curve Balls

A magnificent read from my favourite author, Elizabeth SaFleur! Tough Road was an amazing ride! Full of secrets and lies, betrayal and embezzlement, just my type of book that I couldn’t put down. I simply had to read it in one go, such a page turner that keeps you on the edge of your seat!! A hot sexy read for Trick and Rachel’s storyline. All characters in Shakedown are rough and ready, but so lovable with tragic pasts! Who had embezzled the 3 million dollars? You will have to
Arriesta
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My love affair with everything written by Elizabeth SaFleur continues with the first installment of the NEW Shakedown series, in Tough Road

🌸 Fans of The Elite Doms of Washington series will love Rachel Grant and Trick Masters as they reunite in some very hot scenes... Rachel is totally my kind of smart, contemporary woman complete with a love of Louboutins and Tiffany’s 💕💕💕

I cant wait till July 14th for the next installment, Tough Luck featuring Nathan and dancer, Midnight Starr...
Diane
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trick Masters and Rachel Grant have been through the ringer
...and jail
...and heartbreak, oh yeah, and betrayal, but not in the way they both think.
This is their second chance story.

Welcome to Shakedown, the place where second chances are given freely and everyone there has a story to tell.

I love this place, I love these characters and Elizabeth SaFleur is the queen when it comes to novellas. I've never read an author that can put so much story into shorts like she can!

This is a fabulous start t
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great first book in a new series by Elizabeth SaFleur. Tough Road is a second chance love story between Trick and Rachel that brings this chemistry and attraction that neither of them can ignore despite their feelings towards the other. The author has given us a book that draws you in with the story, the suspense, the attraction and denial, and the club. I loved reading this story and can't wait to see where this series will go.
Elizabeth
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet second chance story to establish a new series by Elizabeth Safleur. The burlesque club Shakedown is the setting for the series and it is full of interesting characters. Alexander Rockingham is mentioned so maybe there will be a connection? There are a lot of intriguing suggestions and I am really looking forward to the rest of the series.
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG, so good!! Loved all the drama and suspense in the storyline. Great banter between the characters. Grabbed my interest from the first chapter and never lost it. Awesome story that I highly recommend.
Anita F
Jun 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Rachel Grant leaves on a business trip overseas for a month happily engaged to Trick Masters. Ehen she gets back home she finds out the love of her life is not what he seems, he is jail for embezzlement of her and her step-brothers inheritance money. She is heart broken and furious as she sees that he is punished.
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
Tough Road is 0.5 is a novella and I read it in at the most a couple of hours.

Things were going so well for Rachel Grant and Trick Masters. Rachel is heading to Hospitality School and Trick is an Investment attorney. All was looking up for the two of them. Until Trick was convicted for embezzlement and went to prison now Trick is back. All he can think about is revenge on the person or persons that framed him. Did he do it? He blames Rachel and Rachel blames Trick.

There is nothing like passion
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tough Road is 0.5 is a novella and I read it in at the most a couple of hours.

There is nothing like passion
Phyllis Lopez
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting!

The story of Trick and Rachel is exciting, sad and heartbreaking. Rachel was so in love with Trick how could he betray her? But did he?? It takes you on an emotional rollercoaster ride. Each character in this story plays a pivotal part in how this story ends. You will love it. I could not put it down.
Bonnie Natola
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tough Road was like going to a speakeasy and getting the VIP treatment. It’s sexy, fun, full of sass, and had all the right moments to really indulge in the characters. For the start to a new series it’s pure magic, and one ride I will happily stay on!
Carol Springston
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachel and Trick kick off another rollercoaster series from Elizabeth SaFleur. The conflict is real as they try to reconcile their past while creating a future.
Hanney
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I love second chance romances and this was no exception.
I was rooting for the H and h so hard, wow.
Melanie Marnell
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always, always enjoy an Elizabeth Safleur romance. She creates such marvelous characters. They're intelligent, driven and sexy. The cast of characters that she introduced in Tough Road are an iintriguing lot and I look forward to reading their stories in subsequent Shakedown series books.

How do you feel when you lose everything and your fiancé is the suspect? Betrayed. How do you feel when you spend three years of your life behind bars for a crime you didn't commit and you fiancée set you up?
Deidre
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again Elizabeth SaFleur has brought us another great story. Non stop from the beginning and I can't wait for more from the rest of the characters. Trick and Rachel are fantastic. Their trials bring a great tale that is woven spectacularly by Miss Elizabeth SaFleur and I feel she brings some of herself to this story.
Elaine
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Safleur you have out done yourself again!! What a wild ride, Trick's out of jail looking for Rachel and her brother Jay, he finds her but not Jay, what comes next for Trick and Rachel will she believe what Trick says about her brother or will the two of them but heads over it? Do you believe Trick embezzled money from Rachel and Jay or will Rachel finally know the truth?
Latifa Morrisette
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tough Road in book one in the new Shakedown series. This is Trick and Rachel's book. I was hooked on this book from the first page. I loved the chemistry between Trick and Rachel. I'm excited for what's in store from this series.
Amy Dickinson
Jun 10, 2020
Bev Baglione
Jul 23, 2020

• Intrigued By Love (Written in the Stars #5)
  • Last Name
  • Charmed (Masters and Mercenaries #20.5)
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit #1)
  • Blood Bound (Blackhawk Security, #2)
  • Diamonds in the Rough (Diamonds are Forever Trilogy, #2)
  • Maliki (Guardian Defenders #2)
  • This Love Hurts
  • Beautiful Criminal (Omertà Law, #1)
  • Forest's Fall: A Captive Romance (Captive Hearts Book 3)
  • Den of Vipers
  • Savage (Wolf Ranch #4)
  • Taking His Shot (Hot Jocks, #7)
  • Three to Ride (Nights in Bliss, Colorado, #1)
  • Devious Savior (Vicious Vipers MC Book 6)
  • Fearless to Love (Written in the Stars, #7)
  • Blaze (Men of Inked: Heatwave #4)
  • Original Sin (The Order of Vampires 1)
Latest release, Tough Luck, now available!

Haunted. Damaged. Wanted.
His past is dangerous – too dangerous for her.
She doesn't care.

Amazon US: https://amzn.to/2LfQc2Y
Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/2ArnIS6
Amazon AU: https://amzn.to/30typOG
Apple/iBooks: https://apple.co/3cpeUtv
Kobo: https://bit.ly/2WoyMYd
B&N: https://bit.ly/35RQoPv

Award-winning author of erotic and steamy contemporary romance, Elizabeth

Shakedown (3 books)
  • Tough Luck (Shakedown #1)
  • Tough Break (Shakedown #2)
  • Tough Love (Shakedown #3)

News & Interviews