Start by marking “Dear Brave Friend” as Want to Read:
Dear Brave Friend

Dear Brave Friend

This gentle and heartwarming story captures the love between a boy and his dog, and the sadness that follows after his cherished dog passes away. Written in the form of a letter from the dog to the boy, the letter shares relatable, real life examples of how the boy (and therefore anybody who has lost a dear pet) may be feeling and suggestions on what he can do to help hims ...more
Kindle Edition
Published August 25th 2019 by Golden Harvest Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dear Brave Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Brave Friend

Start your review of Dear Brave Friend
M.M. Hudson
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
For anyone that has ever lost a pet, this book is a sweet story. It is meant for children but I think adults could read it and still gain the strength of it. As the synopsis says, it is written as a letter from the boy's beloved dog that has obviously just passed away. The dog helps the boy through his grief and beyond.

The author gave good advice in how to maybe honor the beloved pet by planting trees or flowers or donating the pet's items to the humane society. These were really great ideas and
Debbie
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a very soft, relaxing book that addresses pet loss. It is in the form of a letter from a passed pet consoling “his boy.”

Trish Murtha’s illustrations are delicate and tasteful created. They are the perfect accompaniment for the text and this type of book.

The guidance from the dog’s letter to the boy comes from different angles. The boy should acknowledge his feelings and share them. Rely on memories. He is even instructed to put his hand over his heart and pretend that his beloved pet
Cover Lover Book Review
Dear Brave Friend is so sweet! The story is presented in a posthumous letter from a dog to the sad friend who misses him. Though it deals with loss, it is gentle, caring, and comforting.

I love how the dog validates the various emotions that surface after losing a pet or other loved one, whether scared, sad, lonely, or mad. It can be confusing—especially for young children—dealing with the memories and hurt.

“I want you to put your hand over your heart and listen to it THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. That,
Lindsay
I enjoyed this book called “Dear Brave Friend”. It was good. It is based on the fact of a dog passing away but does it through a letter from the dog to the boy. It explains the feeling of how the boy may feel after losing a pet. Any pet lover can use this for any pet, not just a dog.

The book shows the compassion of how to deal with losing a pet and it is okay. You can put your cat in where the dog is being interpreted. The book does a wonderful job of going through the feeling you or your child
Jody Joy
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dear Brave Friend is an absolute must-read for anyone who has lost his or her beloved pet. A dog that has passed, through a letter he tells this story. He tells about the memories that he had with his friend, and for this friend to know that he lives on through him. The illustrations perfectly match the story. I loved this book and I am 64, so it is for all ages.

I would like to thank the author and iRead Book Tours for the review copy in exchange for my honest review. This does not affect my op
Jasmine
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Brave Friend is a sweet, emotional children's book that touches on the subject of grieving a pet who has passed. It's written as a letter from a dog who has passed to his little boy. The letter offers words of reassurance and ways for the little boy to deal with his grief. Whether he's sad or feeling alone, or maybe even angry about how unfair it is to lose a beloved pet, the letter he receives offers advice for channeling those feelings in a proper way.
As a kid, I never experienced the dea
Amy
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dear Brave Friend is such a good little book for younger readers by Leigh Ann Gerk . I have not seen many books that deal with a loss of a pet. I think the author does a great job showing young readers that it is okay to be sad and it is okay to be missing their dear friend. But, it, also, shows that their loved one’s memory will always be with them. It is quite touching to read.

I really enjoyed the illustrations in Dear Brave Friend. Trish Murtha’s talent shines through in the pictures through
Betty
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love this sweet book. Written as a letter from a dog who has passed to his beloved little boy, it is emotional and healing. I love how it acknowledges a range of emotions the child may be feeling and validating that it is okay to feel that way. “You may not know how you are feeling right now, you just know it doesn’t feel good.” But you will get through it. “A friendship like ours will last forever.”
The illustrations are beautifully done. While I normally prefer bright, vibrant colors in child
Book Dragons TBR
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We have all lost an animal in our lifetime. Even as adults the loss is heartbreaking, imagine what a child feels. The confusion as to why their pet is no longer there with them. It can be such a hard topic to approach with little ones. This book is a phenomenal tool to help children cope with loss. It's told from the perspective of the dog who passed to his little boy that owned him. It is such a touching story that can help ease little minds.

In the back of the book the author tells parents how
Lisa's Reading
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve ever lost a beloved pet you know how hard it is to grieve. In the middle-grade book, Dear Brave Friend, children will be comforted in many ways. This is an interactive book that will take children through their many emotions. The beautiful water-color illustrations are perfect for sharing warm feelings.

Dear Brave Friend gives a voice to all of the things that children may be thinking when their pet dies. Instead of dismissing a child’s feelings, this book encourages a child to focus on
Connie Carpenter
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with dogs. I remember when I was 14 we got a puppy named Buddy. Buddy was the best "fur brother" we could ask for. He was super protective of us, he followed us like a hawk and when I had children of my own he watched over them. We had buddy for 14 wonderful years. I'll never forget when we made the difficult decision to put him down. He could not see, walk and had loss control of his bowels. We put him down on Halloween during Super Storm Sandy. I'll never forget that pain. You never ...more
Vicki
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book for anyone, not just children, who have ever lost a pet (or loved one). I've lost more than one and this book brought tears to my eyes.

The book says that pets who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge are still with us in our hearts, and we are still in their hearts. They still love and miss us just like we do them. It lets us know that they are ok and are with all the other animals that have journeyed on.

This is a very touching book and although it is written for children, I th
Dawn
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dear Brave Friend is written for middle grade readers to help them deal with the loss of a pet. It shares all of the stages of grief and explains that these feelings are okay. It’s beautifully illustrated and is a great book for anyone of any age who is dealing with losing their pet.

At the end of the book are pages to draw pictures, prompts for writing to your pet, and places to put pictures of your pet with an area to explain the picture. These encourage the reader to deal with their grief by w
Told in easily understood and relatable language, this book is a love letter of reassurance from a dear friend. It was written to help children deal with their feelings, but I believe that anyone who has lost a special friend can find comfort from the words and dream-like images.
The muted colors and soft edges on each page encourage the reader or listener to relax.
There is even a special surprise hidden within the images to find upon repeated enjoyment.

The Pen & Muse
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Grek's Dear Brave Friend will tug at your heartstrings and make you cry. It's such a great book and can help children deal with a death of a pet. I think it's super important for children to have a sense of understanding when a pet passes and that they will always be with them. Just reading this myself was a beautiful reminder of the pets I've lost and I had to cry.  The illustrations are also beautiful and accompany the message very well. The lovely message that this shows children and adults a ...more
Mary Walewski
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book. Even adults who have lost a beloved pet can relate to this sweet story.
Ibjoy1953
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dear Brave Friend is a much needed book for both kids and adults to have after loosing a pet. For those of us who have always had pets in our homes, we all know how they become an important part of our families. We have lost many dog furry friends that we miss dearly. We had one little black pomeranian for about 15 years. He and my son grew up together. People always told us we raised him to be human. And that’s how he acted. It broke our hearts in to when we had to put him to sleep. And now, my ...more
Mel
Feb 11, 2021
Leigh Ann
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Gary
Jodi Hassel
Tracy
Julie
Jan 20, 2021

• Mia and Nattie: One Great Team!
  • I Can Handle It (Mindful Mantras, #1)
  • M.C. Plays Hide and Seek
  • Dragons Don't Dance Ballet
  • It's Me
  • Mickey on the Move
  • Journey To A New Earth: Penelope Panda and Kobi Koala Discover A New Earth
  • War at the Ice Cream Store: Mustachio Pistachio vs Bully Vanilli (Frank TL Frogg and Friends Book 1)
  • The Adventures of Forkman:What that Noise?
  • Zippy's Special Gift
  • Mommy's Oven
  • Whenever a Child Is Born
  • Marvellous Macey, The Delightful Days
  • Cleo Can Tie A Bow: A Rabbit and Fox Story
  • When the Sun Met the Moon
  • Dream It & Do It: 100 Possibilities, Stories and Real-Life Role Models
  • Be a Superhero in the Kitchen: a children's cookbook (Family Choice and Mom's Choice Award Winner)
  • The Moonlight School

News & Interviews

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...