Start by marking “Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song, #1)

Dreams of the Ringed Vale

(Luthiel's Song #1)

Luthiel's Song is an epic fantasy novel for young adults. It is the first in a series of seven. Below is a description of the story... First Summer's Eve has come and all elves celebrate as the black moon's shadow fades from the world. It is also Luthiel's fifteenth birthday. With it come two extraordinary and dangerous surprises: a Wyrd Stone, its silvery heart a window i ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Dark Forest Press

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of the Ringed Vale, please sign up.
Jason Hubbard The first book is best described as a "quiet epic." It's epic in size and scope and has plenty of suspense, but otherwise it's "quiet." The second…moreThe first book is best described as a "quiet epic." It's epic in size and scope and has plenty of suspense, but otherwise it's "quiet." The second installment is about the ensuing war, so if that sounds good to you, then by all means, check it out! Be warned, though, that the ending has fantasy cliche #4582, so the book is hardly original.(less)

Nikki Nielsen
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Both my young adult friends and older friends looking for a fantasy read
Recommended to Nikki by: Ron (thanks)
It finally came in!

This is not just a book, it is an entire fantasy world. In the back there is a glossary of terms used, an appendix of the suns and moons, and an appendix of the elfin runes ... their language and markings compared to our alphabet. The world Robert Fanney has managed to create is amazing in and of itself. There are two incredible pictures of the main character Luthiel, and I didn't see 'illustrated by' anywhere, so he must have drawn them. They are seriously incredible and I fo
Angela Best
Recommends it for: Anyone
This delightful tale is the story of a young girl named Luthiel who is forced to go on a dangerous and frightening adventure that is sure to result in her own death. No, forced is a bad word to describe what this delightful heroine does. She goes on this treacherous adventure because it is simply what she has to do. The alternative is unacceptable to her, and as the story unfolds the stakes become even higher than she ever imagined.

As other reviewers have said, Luthiel is an absolutely amazing h
Theri
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
I was getting tired of reading fantasy novels with male leads and female leads that just didn't seem real to me when I happened to stumble on this book. I'm really glad I did!

A debut novel by a somewhat unknown author, this book had me from page one. The characters seemed real, genuine, and completely convincing. Luthiel is a heroine with traits that exemplify female heroics -- she's not just another buxom sword wielding lady dressed out in skimpy armor.

Not only was the story and main characte
Diana
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
If you love fantasy novels, this book covers it, you will love it as I did, I really enjoyed this book. It is well written and genuine, a sense of a true heart. I highly recommend it. Dare to dream as Luthiel does. You will be glad you read this book.

It is a fresh and delightful look towards allies least expected. An adventure in heroism, as a young teen elf, named Luthiel, sets out to save someone she loves. Her life as well as others lives are in the balance. This young 15 year old elf, encoun
Ron
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
The author came to my school a couple of weeks ago. I got the book and couldn't put it down. Started at about 5 PM 12 hours later I was thinking about playing hookie. This book will keep you up all night!
Eric
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have not read anything with a elf since LOR. I caught the author on cspan one morning seemed like a bright chap and was pleasently surprised to see him on goodreads. Luthiel's Song is a well written novel with a engaging premise and a dynamic storyline. The style was as lush and layered as the world it protrayed. It was a joy to read and I highly recommend it. Enjoy.
Jen
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jen by: People who love a good Edda
Unlike some, I'm a huge fan of elves and angels. This book had both in ways I hadn't yet imagined. So magical and yet at the same time somehow down to earth this book reminded me what it was like to feel wonder again while standing with feet firmly planted.
Amanda
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not too long ago, I read A Game of Thrones, an excellent fantasy novel with exceptional world building (with fantasy elements kept in moderation--just the way I like it), intrigue and suspense provided by a complex plot, and fully realized characters. That sucker grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

As a fantasy, Luthiel's Song failed because it lacked all of the above. It didn't grab me. Hell, it barely groped me. It was like the awkward boy who took you to the 10th grade dance and was so set on mak
Jessica
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is probably my favorite book of all time. It is not just a book about elves -- though the ones depicted in this story are, in my opinion, really unique -- it is more about a magical world that takes traditional myths and paints them in a subtly new way.

What made me really love this book though, were the characters. They were all so rich and colorful. They have depth, complexity, and deep reasons for being what they are. Though it is a tale about good vrs evil, it does not define good and ev
Katy
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book really surprised me. It started out with a traditional story line and then I found myself in an entirely different place altogether. But it wasn't jarring. I was smoothly swept away.

The author's world is filled with fantasy archetypes but they all somehow seem unique and have depth. If you're looking for a story and characters that will really surprise and delight you don't pass up this book.

The only shame is that a major publisher hasn't picked up on this author and put some real hea
Anna
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is amazing! I'm a real lover of fantasy stories. The downside to this is a number of the plot lines seem very similar to one another. Not the case with Luthiel's Song! The story kept surprising me! When you add in the fact that this is a real page-turner and you can't help but be deeply affected by some of the characters, this book is rapidly becoming my new favorite!
Dan
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
From the first page to the final page this book was absolutely amazing. In it were many things I've never seen in a work of this kind before. The Vyrl, in my opinion, were a masterwork. A must read for fantasy lovers.
Tom
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just read this a couple of days ago and man was I blown away. I feel I have in my hands a new fantasy classic. The characters and story were amazing.

The story starts off with a moment of happy abandon but rapidly transitions into a fast paced adventure where Luthiel must make some hard choices if she's going to help the ones she loves.

A must read for any fantasy lover!
Todd
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! I don't think there was a character I didn't like and some of my favorites happened to be the minor ones.
Gabriel
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Luthiel's Song is tough to match in High Fantasy. The events are extraordinary, the characters very real to me. Lovely writing that brings back a sense of a time forgotten.
Lil
Jun 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
i love this book book and i think everyone should read it.. its probably oe of the best books i've ever read
Stephen
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A well done, original YA fantasy epic in the tradition of Tolkien. I enjoyed it.
Tracy
May 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love a wonderful story
I stumbled upon this book entirely by accident. I was searching for blogs about elves and I read a wonderful rant by the author about people who discriminate against elves. I've met people like that and I think they're pretty silly. So I was intrigued by the writer and I ordered his book.

What I discovered was something extraordinary. The world of Luthiel's Song is a beautiful as it is original. The characters and stories are very compelling to me. I say stories because, even though the main char
Ellen
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves good fantasy
Absolutely amazing! I was lucky to meet the author on a school trip. I can't wait for the next book.
Gayle
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely from the moment I picked it up. Within the first few pages, I was completely engrossed. Each character is so life-like, and Luthiel, the reluctant heroine, is dazzling. I love the imagery in this book. I could picture even the smallest details in my mind's eye with ease. The story itself flows smoothly, sweeping the reader along through both light and shadow. A wonderful read, that has left me wanting more. I cannot wait to see where Luthiel's journey takes her next ...more
Kogiopsis
This is one of those books that I downloaded several years ago when I first got my Kindle, which then languished there as I persisted in just... not using it, and which I come to now with little memory of what interested me at the time. At a guess - it was free or cheap in the Fantasy Ebooks section. That's a lot of what motivated me at the time.

As gambles go, this was... a decent one.

The thing is that this book is fairly straightforward and predictable for most of its length, right up until the
Sydney
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm new to goodreads and I'm pleased to see people here have discovered this amazing book. Luthiel's Song is not one of the best known fantasy stories, nor is it a mainstream book. But the quality of its story and the heart of its characters makes it so much more. I uncovered this treasure while wandering through a local library looking for something new. The librarian handed me a battered copy of what would become my new favorite fantasy.

Reader beware! If you like carousing and savoring a stor
Flannery
I was a little apprehensive at first--I don't always enjoy when there is a glossary or any type of appendix in a book. However, I've been wanting to read this one for a while--I got the Boston Public Library to purchase it. (Yay!)I started into it with high hopes and...

I was on page 300-something, finished the book, and now I have to get the sequel to see what happens! The story is interesting, fast-paced, and pretty inventive.

I'm not the biggest fan of epic fantasy books because of how many ma
Ashley Saunders
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery and adventure lovers
Recommended to Ashley by: Bookclub
Shelves: fantasy
This book is a tale about a 15 year old orphen who goes on a journey to discover who she is. Though she does not realize at the beginning but she is truly an amazing and inspiring character! I was introduced to this at the bookclub at Plaza Middle School, after I read the first page I was captivated. My bookclub calls the elfin languge "Fanney's code". This book is the best book in the entire world!
Erin
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people new to reading fantasy like me
Recommended to Erin by: good ratings on goodreads!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - And I am not normally a fantasy reader! The story was really good, and the character of Luthiel is absolutely loveable! Im looking forward to the next book. Im trying to get my thirteen-year-old son to read it now:)
Erin
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I've a love/hate relationship with high fantasy. These authors have the opportunity to bend reality so every book has the potential to expand the imagination beyond the known horizon. Problem is years spent reading the genre makes it difficult to appreciate originality in the genre as there’s little I haven’t seen.

Othalas’ description of the Vyrl summoning “fell beasts from the depths – creatures of living flame called Malcor – who burned with the fire of their bodies” was eerily reminiscent of
Dora Traynor
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Dora by: Robert Fanney-the Author
Jeanie
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, elves
I have a guilty confession to make -- I love elves. But only elves done well. Elves that make your mind wonder. Unique elves. Elves with a sense of the world. With a sense of history. Elfin magic. Elfin swords that are, well, sharp as the coldest wind of winter. Elves that breathe fantasy and are, yet, somehow different from the elves of Tolkien. Elves that have their own lives, their own experiences, and a story and characters that express that elfishness in a captivating and enthralling fashio ...more
Samantha
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love great stories
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I'm a really picky reader of fantasy stories. I think I've probably read too many, mostly of the gamer fiction variety -- as I'm a huge fan of dungeons and dragons and WoW. So when the author came to my school I was both excited and skeptical. After hearing him speak and read, I decided to give his novel, Luthiel's Song, a shot.

WOW!! Was I amazed!! It had a depth and vision that I find to be lacking in most fantasy stories. Are the Vyrl bad or just misunderstood? Did Luthiel do a good or bad th
Beth
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Luthiel is an orphan, but she has been taken in and raised by the Valshae family. Although Luthiel is being raised by elves there is something a little different about her that keeps her from being accepted by the village. Her closest friend and sister via the Valshae family is Leowin.

A tragic turn of events cause Luthiel to make a life altering decision to take Leowin’s place and travel into the Vale of the Mist. There she must come up against Othalas, a feared werewolf, faces giant spiders an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is #1)
  • Elfland (Aetherial Tales, #1)
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • Fawcetta (Voices and Echoes of the Coliseum, #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • Dreamsbane of Tamalor
  • Sign of the Raven
  • Firefly Island
  • Blackbringer (Faeries of Dreamdark, #1)
  • Night's Rose (Night's Rose #1)
  • Foxwise (The Legend of Vanx Malic, #2.5)
  • Merlin
  • Starfinder: Book One of the Skylords
  • The Poppet and the Lune (The Poppet and the Lune, #1-4)
  • Memory of Morning
  • Son of Ereubus (Guardians of Legend, #1)
Robert Fannéy was born on November 4, 1972 in Southeastern Virginia. He lived in Virginia Beach, VA for much of his younger life and currently resides in Washington Grove, MD with his wife, Catherine, and two talkative Maine Coon cats.

The scenic Seashore State Park and the frothy Atlantic Ocean bordered Robert's world as a child. Ever changing and full of mystery, both were an inspiration to Rober

Luthiel's Song (3 books)
  • The War of Mists (Luthiel's Song, #2)
  • The Death of Winter (Luthiel's Song, #3)
“To be me is to be different...” 62 likes