Start by marking “The Kelping” as Want to Read:
The Kelping

The Kelping

Doctor Craig Bo has everything: a perfect wife and children, a thriving dermatology practice, and a house in a lovely coastal town. Nobody is surprised when he is chosen to be the Sea King of Beachside in his hometown’s annual festival.

But after the festival Craig’s world turns upside down. Something starts growing on his skin. His son tells him a story about a sinister me
Kindle Edition, Rewind-or-Die #9, 67 pages
Published May 28th 2020 by Unnerving

To ask other readers questions about The Kelping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kelping

Start your review of The Kelping
Sherry Fundin
The Kelping by Jan Stinchcomb is a novella, a quick read at 67 pages.

Just looking at the cover made me want it. Who doesn’t love a mermaid and The Kelping reads like a B movie.

Craig Bo wanted to be Sea King, got to be Sea King….and so much more.

The Kelping is a different kind of mermaid story. Not really a romance, not really humorous, not really suspenseful…hard to describe but a mermaid memoir of a wife, husband, two kids and the life in the beach town of Beachside.

I always enjoy a good mermai
Alex | | findingmontauk1
I am really falling in love with this Rewind or Die series presented by Unnerving! The Kelping is just the latest read for me in this series and it stays true to the characteristics and features that make all of these books successful for me!

With The Kelping we get small coastal towns (which I love a small town but I REALLY love a small COASTAL town even more), mermaids, and betrayal! Stinchcomb crafts quite the punchy story in less than 70 pages, and it is one that I could read an entire book a
J.D.
Mar 29, 2021 rated it liked it

Summary

Craig Bo really does seem to have it all. He lives in a small coastal town, is a successful dermatologist and has a beautiful wife and two children at home.
Despite being a born local of the town, he had no idea how dangerous of a place it could be. But he is about to find out after being crowned the King of Beachside.

Personal Opinion

I didn't like the MC in this one at all, but I think that may have been the point with how things ended up turning out.
The Kelping did deliver on the smal
Chelsea Renee Lovell
Apr 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Looooove the idea of this mermaid, weird stylized horror, the execution could’ve been done a little better if it was a little longer, but overall great read. Making the reading of the Rewind or Die series so fun!
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The Kelping by Jan Stinchcomb is number nine in Unnerving's Rewind or Die series. Those of you expecting a horror-filled flesh-eating mermaid tale might find it a little tame. What's inside these 67 pages is a more insidious tale of mermaids infiltrating a sleepy little seaside town. It starts out quite strong with out-of-towner Nick meeting a beautiful woman on the beach and ends with Nick caught up in a deadly Beachside tradition. Then we meet Dr. Craig Bo.

Bo is a pretty despicable human. Fro
Suz Jay
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
“All marriages were lies, or at least shared fantasies. Theirs was a fragile choreography at best, a blend of improvisation and role-play, but he was committed to it. He needed it.”

Once Craig becomes crowned the Sea King in a local festival and is subjected to the keeping ritual, he develops a new perspective on his life, his otherworldly wife, and his place in the world.

This story gives a new perspective in mermaid mythology and the mysteries of the sea. I really liked how Craig becomes aware
Ryan Bradford
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super weird (in a good way), super engaging. It's like reading an R-rated Goosebumps. Loved it. ...more
Heather
Apr 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I love the concept of the “Rewind or Die” series of kind of classic-style horror novels, but the quality seems to vary a lot. I give Jan Stinchcomb’s The Kelping (Rewind or Die) a 3/5.

Craig is a dermatologist creating beautiful faces in the lovely town of Beachside. He’s a shoe-in for the Sea King Festival’s crowning of the Sea King, and his wife Penelope takes getting to be the Sea Queen very seriously. But someone seems to be trying to blackmail him about “that little cutie on the bike path,”
Brennan LaFaro
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Rewind or Die, checklist - volume 9 edition: Creature features, check. Slashers, check. Shapeshifters, check. Food demons, unexpected, but check. Christian theology, check. Mermaids. Okay, we haven’t hit that yet. Let’s do it.

Doctor Craig Bo is a successful dermatologist in a beachside town, a pillar of the community. Also a bit of a philanderer, but we’ll get there. Craig is named the town’s Sea King, an honor given every year to an outstanding citizen. After the event takes place, Craig devel
Audra (ouija.reads)
Yet another entry in the Rewind or Die series, this novella follows Dr. Craig Bo as he learns that the cute beach festival he participated in is way more than he bargained for.

I found the narrative a little tangled and confusing, and desperately wished that the main character had been anyone but Craig. Perhaps if the story's perspective had been shared with his wife Penelope, I would have found the story more compelling. Craig's infidelity and self-absorption made him unlikable and you definitel
Thomas Joyce
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
The Kelping makes for a fairly unique take on the monstrous mermaid story, but maybe doesn't go deep enough with the idea, for my personal liking. The main character does start off very unlikeable, and that doesn't change until the very end of the book (and even then he is only slightly more bearable), but the supporting cast are more interesting, especially the MC's wife. It is a pretty good tale, overall. ...more
Claire Hopple
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Don't worry about who this is. Put five hundred dollars in a brown paper bag in the Little Free Library at the corner of 3rd and Cortes. That should take care of everything."

Jan will take care of you, reader, with this delightful romp of a horror-literary crossover hit.
Kameron
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it

3.5 stars (review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

When you think of mermaids, your mind probably first goes to The Little Mermaid; sweet, singing, happy go lucky, under the sea people.

Jan (the author) DID NOT write a Disney tale. Instead, she wrote a story that would make the Grimm Brothers proud.

As a reader, Penelope was throwing up red flags all over the place. Certain phrases in conversations would lead any smart man to run for the hills. Example: Penelope wants him t
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
It was ok, I don't really have much to say about it. I was bored most of the time and it didn't leave a last impression. There wasn't anything horrible about it, just not for me at all.

Mary
Jessie
rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2021
Jan Stinchcomb
Mar 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Nuno R.

• Dead Eyes
  • The Worm and His Kings
  • The Ghost Tree
  • The Midnight Exhibit, Vol. 2
Jan Stinchcomb is a writer living in Southern California. She is the author of The Kelping (Unnerving), The Blood Trail (Red Bird Chapbooks) and Find the Girl (Main Street Rag).