Start by marking “Return to the Black Gate” as Want to Read:
Return to the Black Gate

Return to the Black Gate

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Clone Smiley has vanished. No one knows where he has gone. With the dark of the Origin-verse now awake, something moves across the multiverses, destroying all it touches. One by one, each universe falls, its defenders shattered. Soon, it will reach our world, and then there will be nothing left. From the far corners of the multiverse, a desperate group gathers, the only ho ...more
Published February 5th 2020 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Black Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Black Gate

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Return to the Black Gate
Ross Jeffery
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

This was the most beautiful farewell - stunning prose, woven around an exquisite story and a beguiling cast of characters! Epic and powerful...

Sale has been able to deliver a story like a gothic master - his story is unique but forged with the remnants of other greats (possibly inspiration) I mention here the greats such as Philip K Dick, JRR Tolkien, HP Lovecraft and Robert A. Heinlein. But don’t get it twisted - this is totally original, and breathtaking.

There is a large cast of characte
Steve Stred
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

When I first read book one in this stunning trilogy, ‘Gods of the Black Gate,’ I almost immediately messaged Joseph begging and pleading for a sequel. I was stunned. The synopsis was unique but the story was elevated to such a level that I needed more.

When book two arrived, ‘Beyond the Black Gate,’ Sale showed his propensity for world creation and utterly destroyed the readers eyeballs with the characters he introduced. When book two ended, I
James Sale
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The question that literary critics will be asking in 50 years time is: which of the three Black Gate books is the best? They form a coherent whole, but they stand separately. At the end of BG1 I thought, how can this have a sequel? Then, in reading BG2 I found out how. But at the end of BG2, I thought, ‘Well, that’s it!’ How can there be a BG3? And yet here it is.

BG1 is futuristic, yet realistic, horror; BG2 extends the horror into the mythological realm; and just when you think Joseph Sale cann
Iseult Murphy
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is a feeling of things ending that pervades this book from the first page, which isn’t surprising as it is the last book in the trilogy.

More philosophical than its predecessors, almost a new genre once again, Sale bravely opens the book without Craig Smiley, an important character in the other two books.

The writing is masterful, flowing smoothly through the rising and falling action and plucking the readers emotions with ease.

Everything comes together in a surprising, yet fitting, finale.
Erik Bergstrom
Kina
Dec 26, 2020
J. Nordstrom
Feb 22, 2021

• Moonlight, Gunshot, Mallet, Flame (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 49)
  • The Only Good Indians
  • The Fabric Of Tombstones
  • Crossroads
  • Until Summer Comes Around
  • Neolithic
  • Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Tethered
Joseph Sale is an editor, novelist, and writing coach. His first novel, The Darkest Touch, was published by Dark Hall Press in 2014. He currently writes and is published with The Writing Collective. He has authored more than ten novels, including his Black Gate trilogy, and his love-letter to fantasy: Save Game. He grew up in the Lovecraftian seaside town of Bournemouth.

He edits non-fiction and fi

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...