Start by marking “Night Train to Murder” as Want to Read:
Night Train to Murder

Night Train to Murder

(Ishmael Jones #8)

When a body is discovered in a locked toilet cubicle on the late-night train to Bath, Ishmael Jones is faced with his most puzzling case to date.

When Ishmael Jones and his partner Penny are asked to escort a VIP on the late-night train to Bath, it would appear to be a routine case. The Organisation has acquired intelligence that an attempt is to be made on Sir Dennis
Published November 27th 2019 by Severn House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Night Train to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Train to Murder

Start your review of Night Train to Murder
Sue
I really enjoy the Ishmael Jones series, with its alien in human appearance acting to help who or whatever seems to be the forces of good. In this outing, Ishmael and partner Penny are tasked with protecting a newly appointed minister of defense in the Psychic arena. A generally loathed and loathsome man, no one understands why he even received the appointment.

The scene is the first class car of a nonstop train London to Bath. If anything is to happen, there will be limited time, space and
Juli
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ishmael Jones is an agent for a secret organization. He, and his partner Penny, are called out to work unusual, often extremely dangerous, cases....mostly because Ishmael is an unusual, often extremely dangerous, person. Well.....not a person exactly. He's an alien disguised as a human. When strange things happen that threaten humanity, The Organization calls on Ishmael. In return, they make sure nobody discovers he isn't quite human.

This time, Ishmael receives a summons from The Organization
Leonie Byrne
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: Ishmael and Penny are back with a new mystery. Asked to guard a jumped up politician on his way to take up as new head of a secret government division, Ishmael and Penny are left interrogating a small first class train carriage when the VIP they're supposed to be protecting is murdered, quite literally with his pants down. With only 56 minutes to solve the case this is one that's going to put even Ishmael's skills to the test!

Review: if you've not heard me wax lyrical about it before,
 Reading Reindeer
The release of a new installment in Simon R. Green's Ishmael Jones Series is always enormously exciting. Ishmael, alien-turned-human since 1963, and his partner Penny Belcourt, are two of my favorite literary series characters. Author Green combines science fiction, urban fantasy, paranormal, and Noir crime into an always fascinating mix.

This time, it's a classic "locked-room" assassination, committed just feet from Jones and Penny, who had been ordered to prevent exactly that. Four suspects
Caitlyn Lynch
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the eighth in the Ishmael Jones series, but if you havent read any of the others, you shouldnt have too much trouble figuring out whats going on mainly because you get a neat little introduction at the very start of the book, explaining that Ishmael is an alien whose ship crash-landed in England in the sixties. Machines on board disguised him as human, and hes been hiding in plain sight since, although the fact that he doesnt age is making his life rather more complicated. Hes ended up ...more
Penny
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ive been reading this series since the beginning as Ive really enjoyed a couple of this authors other series. I liked the first two books in this series, but Im getting to the point that Im not enthused anymore. Dont get me wrong; the books are well written, Penny and Ishmael are interesting characters, and the books go by quickly. However, the plots are starting to sound like the same thing over and over. Im waffling on whether to give this 3 or 4 stars; if the plots were just a little bit ...more
Lesa
I'm a fan of Simon R. Green's paranormal mysteries featuring Ishmael Jones, the alien who crashed to
earth in 1963, and has been hiding and working as a human ever since. Even I have to admit, though, that Ishmael missed the obvious answer to this locked room mystery. Really, it took him almost the entire fifty-six minutes he had to solve the case in Night Train to Murder.

In order to hide in plain sight, Jones has been working for years for mysterious groups in England, protecting people from all
Annarella
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I inhaled this book as I usually do with Simon Green's Ishmael Jones books.
It's a great example of locked room mystery and it kept me on the edge till the end, keeping me guessing and trying to understand how it could have happened.
It's a great thriller and the paranormal aspect plays a minor role comparing to other books in this series.
Penny and Ishmael are great characters as usual but I also liked the well thought and fleshed secondary characters.
The book closure makes me wish that the next
Ami
Originally published on the book blog Creature From the Book Lagoon.

I received a kindle edition of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

YAY! Not another locked house in a rural area setting!! That was literally my first thought with this book. I know this series theme revolves around locked room type stories, but the settings were all starting to get too samezies. The last couple of books in the series, Simon has been doing a better job of getting Ishmael and Penny in new
Swords & Spectres
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The concept of Ishmael Jones is one of the more interesting ones I have come across in my reading. Whats not to like about the idea of an alien having assimilated himself into our culture and turning his skills to the work of stopping crime?

I went into this one with high hopes and, despite the worlds worst attempt at writing dialogue by any one author and some incredibly stereotypical, over the top cliche characters, the first half
Nico Bell
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks for the free copy for review.

Ishmael Jones isnt your typical detective. Hes the sole survivor of his alien starship after a crash which left him stranded on Earth. The ships transformation machine converted into an adult male human being, and now he works as a detective for an underground group called the Organization whose sole purpose is to keep civilization in the dark regarding the monsters walking amongst them.

Ishmael and his partner Penny Belcourt are assigned an undercover security
Annie
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Night Train to Murder is the newest entry in the Ishmael Jones series by Simon R. Green. Released 3rd March 2020 by Severn House, it's 192 pages and available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats. It's worth noting that the ebook format has a handy interactive table of contents as well as interactive links. I've really become enamored of ebooks with interactive formats lately.

These books, about a generally altruistic alien trapped on earth
S.J. Higbee
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Green specialises in locked room murder mysteries. This one was a doozy, although I had guessed the culprit well before the denouement. That said, it really didnt matter all that much as far as I was concerned. I have grown very fond of Jones and Penny and I was also intrigued by the sudden appearance of the psychics and their impact on the espionage industry Jones is so heavily immersed in. Id like to think that Mr Nemo will be making a reappearance in a later book.

These stories are firmly
Mary
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series!
NB NB
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ishmael Jones isnt your typical detective. Hes the sole survivor of his alien starship after a crash which left him stranded on Earth. The ships transformation machine converted into an adult male human being, and now he works as a detective for an underground group called the Organization whose sole purpose is to keep civilization in the dark regarding the monsters walking among them.

Ishmael and his partner Penny Belcourt are assigned an undercover security job keeping watch over a politician
James
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review here:

As I said, half the reason I like these is that, unlike his over the top other series, this series acknowledges the hidden world, but it's at best flavor for very real, human killers and motivations.
Vivienne
My thanks to Severn House Publishing for an eARC via NetGalley of Simon R. Greens Night Train to Murder in exchange for an honest review.

This is the eighth in Greens Ishmael Jones Mystery series. I read and reviewed the seventh book, Till Sudden Death Do Us Part in August and enjoyed it very much becoming an instant fan. I was so excited to see another title released so soon, though Green is quite a prolific author.

When The Organisation receives information that there may be an attempt on the
Darius Ostrowski
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I really want to like these books more, and I think the concept and the meta-story (of which we only get small snippets) is intriguing and wonderful, but the actually mysteries vary between good and blah, they're never really outstanding.

This one (once again) has a great concept, a locked room mystery on a train with a limited time frame, but it's rather obvious who the killer is. Ishmael and Penny spend a lot of time interviewing the suspects, talking about the interviews, and then
Sharon
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
They're back! Ishmael and Penny are together again, this time on a train (no spoiler)! and investigating the suspicious murder of a high profile individual.

I thoroughly enjoy these adventures, although, for me this isn't one of the best. Instead, I found it slow and plodding at times and had to really stick with it. An OK read.

In summary, these are great characters and I love the plot lines. However, if it's your first time reading about Ishmael and Penny, please don't start with this one.

Thanks
Alisa
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a different book for the Ishmael Jones series. Usually Ishmael and Penny fight against supernatural and paranormal creatures, but in this one they had to solve a plain murder mystery.
The Organization ordered Ishmael and Penny to protect an important person through a train ride. But then the said person is killed in a locked toilet with only a handful of suspects who could not have possibly done it. I have to say,at times it was actually hilarious. Ismail is so used to the bad guy being
Viccy
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ishmael Jones and Penny Belcourt are contacted by The Organization to protect the new minister of the psychic services as he travels to his new posting. As an alien, Ishmael is able to spot psychics who try to conceal themselves under a cloak of invisibility. But, when the minister is murdered in the toilet on the train, it become a matter of "once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." (Sherlock Holmes) This series is an enjoyable romp with ...more
Kurt Rocourt
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, novels, contests
This one was a little off for my liking. It was more of a slight of hand kind of a read. There was a look over here and not over there quality to the book that actually took away from the book. It's not that it dragged at parts, it's that much of the middle of it actually meant nothing in the end. The ending is supposed to make up for it but really that's just throwing readers a bone for the next book.

I read this book via NetGalley. I thank them for this book. #NightTraintoMurder #NetGalley
Marty Tool
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to clearly say I love the Ishmael Jones books, and this is no exception. Ishmael along with Penny are to be backup guards for a government official, however when the man is murdered right off the bat we get to watch how Ishmael solves this locked door mystery. It is fast moving as they only have an hour to solve it. Good secondary characters and several suspects it all gets figured out. It's the major story arc at the end that gave me my holy crap moment. Looking forward to the next, and ...more
Renee
As per usual another great Ishamel Jones novel that ends on a major cliff hanger! A closed room murder mystery that takes place on a train and is funny, twisty and full of the normal Simon R Green wit. Wish he'd bring in a few familiar characters, however.
Caitlin
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This series reminds me the Hawk & Fisher series, but I like the characters a bit less. And I wish they had better luck with the dead bodies piling up.
Ben Frayle
Misha Mueller
Jan 26, 2020
Jamie Hartnett
Jan 25, 2020

• A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings, #2)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • You Let Me In
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Case of the Reincarnated Client (Vish Puri, #5)
  • Careless Whiskers (Cat in the Stacks #12)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • Deeplight
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Weekend Wife
  • Peter Pan and Other Plays
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Ishmael Jones (8 books)
  • The Dark Side of the Road (Ishmael Jones, #1)
  • Dead Man Walking (Ishmael Jones, #2)
  • Very Important Corpses (Ishmael Jones, #3)
  • Death Shall Come
  • Into the Thinnest of Air (Ishmael Jones, #5)
  • Murder in the Dark (Ishmael Jones, #6)
  • Till Sudden Death Do Us Part (Ishmael Jones #7)