Start by marking “White Hornet (The Viper and the Urchin #5)” as Want to Read:
White Hornet (The Viper and the Urchin #5)

White Hornet

(The Viper and the Urchin #5)

A city of snow and wind.
A logistical nightmare when running a mission…
…or an opportunity to explore new sartorial delights?

Rory has faced many challenges in her time, but none quite so frustrating as mastering the art of walking in a corset and bustle.

She has to pass herself off as a wealthy heiress to infiltrate the House of Bel, a mysterious and highly exclusive c
Published October 8th 2019

To ask other readers questions about White Hornet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Hornet

Start your review of White Hornet (The Viper and the Urchin #5)
Elizabeth Lloyd
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again, Longinus and Rory are part of a team engaged in espionage on behalf of the Marchioness of Damsport. Leaving the warmth of their home, Cruikshank, the clever engineer, Adelma, the strong, hard-drinking smuggler and Rafe, a handsome Varanguard, have travelled north with them to Arnia, fearing the Emperor intends to reconquer Damsport.

The fledgling romance between Rafe and Rory is beginning to blossom as they act out their parts of a noble but poor aristocrat and his rich but unsophisti
Emily Wrayburn
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on a A Keyboard and an Open Mind 25 October 2019:

Please note: this review contains minor spoilers for the previous four books in this series.

If you’ve been following my reviews for a while, you’ll know that there is very little negative I have to say about the Viper and the Urchin series. This instalment is no different.

In White Hornet, the gang are undercover in the neighbouring country of Airnia, on a spy mission for the Old Girl. They have no idea who they can trust,
Beth Norton
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Just as compelling as the previous books. Can not wait to read the next one. The suspense is killing me
Barb Taub
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, there are two things I hate in books I’m reviewing. First is of course, the love triangle. But worse by far—a crime on the level of baby murder or taking phone calls in the theater—is the cliffhanger. And yet…author Celine Jeanjean did warn us first. She said we could just wait to read both parts until the second part comes out in a few months.

As if…I SO couldn’t wait.

This is a new book in one of my favorite series ever. More Rory the former urchin. More Longinus, the blood-averse assassin
Riley
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, favorites
As I read the opening paragraph, I remembered the end of The Doll Maker, book 4 in this series. Longinus was left with a mission. Find out if what his evil sister told him is true – Mother is still alive.
Some events change a man’s life so definitively that everything becomes defined in relation to this one moment. Such a milestone divides all other points in one’s life into Before and After.
Reading this paragraph, I figured Longinus was about to do something incredibly brave, if not well thought
Marie Reed
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What a plot twist at the end, too!

Ms. Jeanjean did a beautiful job setting up the city of Bel Stadd, as well as delved deeply into the crazy, harsh, confusing world of palace life. You definitely know who are the pros and who are... "provincial."

I really appreciate that even after five books, we're still discovering facets of all of the characters' pasts and how these pasts affect who they are presently in the book. Cruikshank and Adelma are always a great combination as they tend to
Jane Firebaugh
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The White Hornet is book 5 in The Viper and The Urchin series.
There is lots of action in this book, like the others, and there are also a few secrets revealed about what makes some of the characters tick.
I loved this book!
It's a cliff hanger, so you should grab the next one quick, because you won't want to miss either one.
Fun, Fun Fun!
Brit Andrews
Longinus has decided he is the type of man that wears capes. Rory is wearing dresses and acting the part of a lady and the whole gang is on an undercover...

On a mission to Airnia our merry band of misfits are trying to infiltrate the Airnia court. Not an easy thing to accomplish but with the help of the Marchioness they have new identities and money to aid in their efforts to make it happen. The mission is a rather personal one for Longinus who seeks to untangle the mystery of his family and the
Juneta Key
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been very enjoyable series with lots of hijinks and adventure. The gang is all back and we have a couple of new additions. It is one trouble after another which kept me turning the pages. I also like the growth of the character from each story. You definitely know there will be another book as there are a lot of unanswered question yet this adventure wraps up in a satisfying way. Great series.

I volunteer to read an ARC and this is my honest opinion.
Matthew
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intensely satisfying read

I am an avid reader and an amateur writer
, so I can appreciate a good book but this book and the series so far hasn't just been good but has been great in my opinion, I can not wait to see where the author takes us in book 6 and any future books that may or may not be published.
Emma
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I am so heavily invested in all the characters that I will be devastated when this series comes to an end. As well as excellent characters it has a fast paced plot with plenty of excitement. Intrigue at court and a lot of people who are acting from mysterious motives. I highly recommend the whole series, I find it hard to imagine anyone not liking these books.
Ed A
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining read

I’ve throughly enjoyed reading the previous installments, and the latest is no exception. And the cliffhanger ending isn’t as bad as some others have been. All in all an entertaining read. I received an ARC, and also wound up buying the ebook once it was released.
RB
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and kept my attention throughout. Not lightweight nor without consequences. Good extended world building, and a pleasure to revisit old friends. The scene is well set for more trouble down the road. Keel writing this series Celine!
Krista
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner in this series. I loved all the snow and cold -- it reminded me of home for 6 months of the year. The mystery and action kept me riveted, and although this book ends on a cliffhanger, the suspense only makes me all the more eager to find out what happens next.
Ladyhawke
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Booooooo

I don’t like cliff hangers... this book and the one before it didn’t get much done but tangle us in a web
Art (aka Whistler Reads)
ashley
Jan 05, 2021
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book to series 4 64 Feb 01, 2020 02:24AM

• Battle Bond (Death Before Dragons, #2)
  • The Heir and the Spare
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
  • Between Walls (The City Between #6)
  • Between Cases (The City Between, #7)
  • Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • Breaking and Entering 101 (The Case Files of Henri Davenforth, #4)
  • Crown of Moonlight (Court of Midnight and Deception #2)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
  • A Crown of Ash (The Kingmakers' War, #9)
  • Layers of Force (Star Kingdom #8)
  • The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Physicians of Vilnoc (Penric and Desdemona, #8)
  • The Lord of Stariel (Stariel, #1)
  • Tomes Apprentice (The Tomes of Kaleria, #1)
  • Storm Forged (Death Before Dragons #6)
Celine Jeanjean is French, grew up in the UK and now she travels the world as a nomadic writer. That makes her a tad confused about where she is from. During her travels she's watched the sun rise over Angkor Wat, lost her shoes in Vietnam, and fallen off a bamboo raft in China.

Celine writes stories that feature quirky characters and misfits, set in wondrous worlds.

The Viper and the Urchin (9 books)
  • Bloodless Assassin (The Viper and the Urchin, #1)
  • Black Orchid (The Viper and the Urchin, #2)
  • Slave City (The Viper and the Urchin #3)
  • Doll Maker (The Viper and the Urchin #4)
  • The Shadow Palace (The Viper and the Urchin #6)
  • The Opium Smuggler (The Viper and the Urchin #7)
  • The Veiled War (The Viper and the Urchin #8)
  • The Rising Rooks (The Viper and the Urchin #9)