Start by marking “Not My Boy” as Want to Read:
Not My Boy

Not My Boy

Who will you cross to protect your own?

When Hannah packs up her past and moves to the cottage next-door to her sister, she hopes the luxe neighborhood and close family ties will be the perfect escape for her son and the shadows that trail them. But when a young girl goes missing days after they unload their final boxes and her son is quickly thrown under suspicion, Hannah
Published January 5th 2021 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Not My Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not My Boy

Start your review of Not My Boy
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I liked how Not My Boy was a mix of suspenseful thriller and family drama. The evidence kept changing the primary suspect. I could not figure out who took the missing girl. The sisters turn against each other was an interesting addition to the story. The characters are all interesting and all trying to protect those they care about most. However, this leads to them turning against someone in their family. Not My Boy is an interesting story I would recommend to thriller fans.

I listened to the aud
Dana
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
I really wanted to love this book but unfortunately it just wasn't for me. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and had a hard time staying engaged with the story. Some of the events that took place just weren't at all believable.

With that being said. I did enjoy the authors writing style. I'm very much in the minority with my review/rating and would encourage you to check this out for yourselves.

Thank you to Sourcebooks Landmark for my review copy!

Vonda
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the type book that was needed right now. It is a simplistic read allowing your mind to drift into the story and try to figure out who was the guilty suspect. A quick read that was highly enjoyable. I look forward to more from this author. Recommended for a mystery that you can escape to.
Katie
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, I thought it was compulsive and fast paced. I absolutely loved the view point of Eva. This is a detailed drama that dives in to a family and their complications more than the actual mystery. For that reason I think people will be thrown expecting a thriller, but to me it was more a very interesting drama.
Sherri Thacker
This story fell flat for me and I could not connect with any of the characters. I wanted to like it but at 32% I got bored. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this early release in exchange for my review.
Jessica Strawser
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When tragedy strikes in NOT MY BOY, a privileged neighborhood is turned upside down—and no man, woman, or even child is above suspicion. Kelly Simmons has spun a nail-biter that will have you questioning how quickly we can turn on the people we hold dear, and how far we might go to keep our deepest fears from being realized.
Laur
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, audio, netgalley
The blurb from NOT MY BOY sounded so interesting, but I just didn't relate to this book. The characters lacked depth and felt flat. The f*bombs were unnecessary. The storyline/plot was drawn out and anti-climatic. Sorry, I really wanted to like this book, but it just didn't work for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher, for an audio ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

1.5 STARS rounded up.
Leslie M.
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I struggled with this book. I really wanted to enjoy it, and I did, at times. But overall, the story lagged, and I had a difficult time connecting with the characters and staying engaged. The pace was just too slow for a story in this genre.

The writing was solid, and I'd consider checking out other books by this author. However, there really wasn't anything to hook me in and keep me reading. I generally love multiple POVs in books, but it just didn't work in this one, as it made the plot, at ti
Chelsie
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelves
Hannah moves into a cute little cottage right next door to her sisters house, in a quite nice neighborhood. Or so it seems. It is quiet, there are woods and so far everyone seems to either know everyone and get alone or they stuck to themselves. Their mother also just lives a little ways over, so not far from her two girls now. Maybe this move will her Hannah’s son out of his shell. He was often picked on at his old school and kids did not seem to ever understand him as a person. A fresh start.

T
Barbara Powell
Jan 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Hannah moved to get away from her sons bully’s and ended up in the midst of even more family drama.
I can say I didn’t love this, but I also didn’t hate it. It was just ok. It was a quick read but still managed to be a super slow burn. And the character that they wanted you to think was the killer straight off the bat was way too obvious, and the actual killer kinda seemed thrown in out of no where.
I did enjoy Eva. And I liked the narration of the audiobook. It just didn’t stand out in the worl
Indre
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
This one didn't work for me. There's a bit of everything mixed-in in this domestic suspense (I think that's the genre for this book).

One of our POVs Hannah, is a divorced mother that moves to be closer to her sister and mother. She buys a house in this swanky neighborhood (in all reality, it isn't really fully explained how she does buy it), but doesn't really fit in. Her son, already an outcast is over and over painted as this sinister boy (middle schooler!) but she still loves him and tries t
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
This is an intriguing and very atmospheric book. Hannah moves into a new community to be close to her sister Hillary. Recently separated, Hannah is hoping for a new start for her young son Miles. There is mystery surrounding what is happening with Miles and his strange obsession with animals. Right after Hannah moves in a young child is murdered. There are a few suspects to narrow down and as law enforcement seems to be circling around Hannah and her son and Hillary’s family the sisters set out ...more
Susan Peterson
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not My Boy is compelling book that blends a murder mystery with complex family drama. When Hannah moves with her son to a home near her sister, she has hopes that she can leave her son’s troubled past behind. But a search for a missing girl brings her worries about her son to the forefront—and also exposes other family members. The suspense in the novel is fraught with tension, uncovering secrets and a seediness that one might not expect in an affluent neighborhood. It also unveils secrets withi ...more
M.  [storme reads a lot]
So I just finished this book, and I have no idea what really happened. I thought it was going to be a story which hooked me, but I ended up getting a little spacey during the end. It was an okay story, but when all of the reveals came at the end, I did not care as much as I thought.

The narration is well done. The two narrators are telling the story in a way which makes the reader wonder what will happen and what the connections are. This is a plus for the story. However, it was hard to connect t
Kathy
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Wasn't sure if this would be a round up or a round down until I wrote this review.

The writing is very descriptive and sets the tone for each scene perfectly. There is a lot going on in this book and sometimes it works really well, others not so much (sort of like this review).

The sisters turn on each other rather quickly for sisters who were very close. I'm not really sure how I feel about Eva; at times she seemed jealous of the sister's relationship.

I did not figure out the perpetra
Shalini
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
The story started fine with a missing girl, two sisters who were neighbors, a son who was different, and a mother who lived closeby. Then the girl's body was found...

The prose had more of narration, so that dragged and made it a slow read. The latter half when the sisters decided to find the truth about the identity of the killer, it became slightly interesting.

Overall, it was an okay read
Morgan-- JUSTONEMOREPAGE_
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not My Boy was such a quick, light(?) read that I didn't realize I needed. I say "(?)" because yes there was murder, but it was also a lot more than just that. So it was a light murder book, is that a thing? Should we make it a thing? Ok, it's a thing.
Can you really run from your past? Hannah and her son move to a new neighborhood, which also just happens to be right across the street from her sister. Hannah thinks this is exactly what her son needs, a fresh start. However, just days after they
booksbikesbooze

Unfortunately, this one didn't work well for me.

VERY, VERY slow burn, mundane details, and anti-climatic.

Thank you to the publisher for my review copy #partner.
Marisa
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Compulsively readable! I couldn't stop and wanted to know what happened. Kelly writes such emotionally real characters and scenes. These pages flew and I couldn't stop reading until I knew everything turned out the way it should. In each novel that Kelly has written she has grown and you can see her growth as a writer in the more complex story lines and relationships. One thing she has not lost is the emotion. I wanted to call my niece and hug her close as I was reading this novel. It just felt ...more
The Lit Bitch
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
It’s a new year and this is my first official book review of 2021 and I must say, I was thrilled to start the year off with a bang when it came to my first read of the new year! I have read only one other book by this author and it was pretty good so I was looking forward to picking up another by her!

While I loved the cover (the little boy with a red coat is just so eye catching), I think it was the summary the truly sold me on this one as a potential read. Whenever a review pitch comes across m
Nicole
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When Hannah moves into the carriage house in the shadow of her sister’s sprawling family home (and not far from her mother), she’s looking for a fresh start in a safe, privileged neighborhood. The trails and wooded areas of the upscale community promise leisure and recreation, and the sociable inhabitants seem rife with opportunities for book clubs, festivals, and friendship. Recently divorced and trying to escape a dark secret that has haunted her son, Hannah pins her hope on proximity to her b ...more
Kari
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
My Review of
NOT MY BOY
By Kelly Simmons
Published by Bookmarked {Partner}
On Sale: 1/5/20
*****
I absolutely recommend this book. I loved it. It was full of family and community, drama, murder, suspicion, doubt and you never know who to believe and just when you are sure about one thing, it all comes crashing down with the discovery of something else. The Author does a great job in telling the story in alternating views as seen through a mother and her adult daughter. The story is complex and keeps y
Jessica
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Thanks to the publisher for the copy in exchange for my honest review

If you’re looking for a quick thriller, then make sure to check out NOT MY BOY by Kelly Simmons. This has all the elements that you come to hope for in a thriller – fast pace, short chapters, a missing little girl, and plenty of secrets to keep everyone guessing.

I’m so torn with this one, because on the one hand I really enjoyed it but I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters. I saw so many glowing reviews and there w
Kathy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Not My Boy by Kelly Simmons is an enthralling domestic mystery.

Hannah Sawyer and her twelve year old son Miles have just moved to a new house in a wealthy enclave. They are thrilled to now live next door to her sister Hillary, brother-in-law Ben and 11 year old niece Morgan. Their mother Eva also lives nearby.  When 6 year old Liza Harris is murdered, Detectives Thompson and Carelli first turn their attention to Miles before setting their sights on Ben. The once close sisters are now o
Charlotte Lynn
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Not My Boy is a book of family dynamics, trust, and secrets. I could not stop reading, turning pages, and needing to know what would happen next. The characters had depth with their secrets, with their love of each other, and with the knowledge that someone killed a little girl in their neighborhood that they had to keep each other safe. The story was not simple, there were many twists and turns.

Hannah is a single mother raising her son. The son was bullied at his school, so the mother moves nex
Linda
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
A bit of family drama and a murder mystery combine in this simple, quick novel. Written in a combination of first and third person, it was always a bit jarring when the switch was made. The basic plot was interesting but it just didn’t flow smoothly for me.

Thanks to NetGalley and Landmark Sourcebooks for the ARC to read and review.
Amy Impellizzeri
Secrets and sisters! When can you trust your mother’s intuition and when does it fail you? A beautifully written suspense story about our greatest fear - missing the signs of danger right under your nose. Loved it!
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This story of a missing young girl involves two sisters each determined to protect their families at any cost. The pace was generally good and there were some twists but I found it hard to like or relate to the characters. I also struggled to get into the story and ended up skimming the last several chapters. Others have given this novel 4 or 5 stars but, for me, it was a three star read that just did not appeal to me.

Thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark and Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchan
Erin (Drink.Read.Repeat)
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
*View my reviews at www.drinkreadrepeat.com*
*I was provided a gifted copy of this title by the publisher*

There is something special — something exclusive and cozy — about being a family of two.

Though now, as a married mother of two boys, I enjoy the relatively unrelenting chaos of a large(r) family, as a child I flourished as a member of a close-knit duo.

It was me and my single mother.

Us against the world.

At the time, it didn’t dawn on me to want anything else. Never having known a different li
Hillary
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
The big standout for me was the clumsy way the auther tried to make things more ominous by tacking a "but if I'd only known then what I know now" type of sentence at the end of every chapter. My other takeaway was flimsy characters with terrible ideas, an almost compulsive inability to use logic, and way too much time on their hands. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The First to Lie
  • The Good Sister
  • Rodham
  • Good Neighbors
  • Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #1)
  • All Adults Here
My sixth novel NOT MY BOY debuts January 2021. Booklist compared it to Big Little Lies, and Julie Clark, the author of LAST FLIGHT said it was "impossible to put down." I hope you enjoy it -- and please check out my backlist, all featuring good women making bad decisions. Start with my best-selling book, ONE MORE DAY, maybe? Or my first two, a bit more literary in tone -- STANDING STILL and THE BI ...more