Start by marking “The Sinner in Mississippi” as Want to Read:
The Sinner in Mississippi

The Sinner in Mississippi

​I was born in a rundown house in a small parish outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, during one of the worst storms on record. It rained so much the banks of the Mississippi overflowed. For most families, bringing a new life into the world should be a time of great celebration. But giving birth to a girl was not a joyful occasion in my home.

My condition was fragile because
Published May 1st 2020 by By Faith Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Sinner in Mississippi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sinner in Mississippi

Start your review of The Sinner in Mississippi
Maureen Timerman
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
The description of this book is of a baby being born, and her mother knowing how hard her life was going to be. We follow this baby through her life, and we walk in Mississippi's shoes as she journeys, you will laugh, cry, and cringe at some of the happenings.
We see God's hand on her and see beyond the pain and hurt to the many blessings offered here.
You will be page-turning looking for answers and hoping for the best, and surprises abound, along with a lot of love.
I received this book through C
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celebrate-lit, review
This is the most difficult book that I’ve read this year. To be honest, had I not signed up to review it, I probably would have put it down after the first 30 pages because the subject material is difficult. BUT I am glad that I persevered and gave it a chance because the story reeled me in and I ended up not wanting to pause in my reading. It reminded me somewhat of Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” and although it is fictional, it has a very authentic ambiance that sets it apar ...more
Debbie
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The Sinner in Mississippi" by D.L. Lane is a book that is filled with the evil of man, well, I guess I should say mankind, because there are evil women in this book also. This is a story about forgiveness and shows what real love is.

The author does give a warning about triggers at the beginning of the novel, for those who could be affected by “violent acts and sexual assault” but the scenes are written in a way that isn't really graphic, the violent acts are a little more detailed than the sex
Betti
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you..... Isaiah 41:10

I would consider this a life verse for Mississippi. Born too early, left to die - a miracle in the making! Growing up in an environment of abuse, never losing her positive attitude, she always continued on in spite of the pain. Until one day, when she was rescued from it all...

Thayer Drayton King, a businessman, became her knight in shining armor. Living in comfort allows
Faye
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect going into this book, I've never read this author before, and her books are quite new to me. But this beautiful historical romance blew me away and got me out of a reading slump that had me dreading picking up new books.

Though set in America during the middle of the 1930's, it does not rely heavily on the time period or current events for the plot, and is more specifically a Christian romance, which in some ways reminded me of books by Lori Wick. Mississippi Singleto
Deana Dick
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is now in my list as one of my favorites for the year. The emotional journey the author takes us on is one I will not forget. A little baby born into a family that didn’t want her was where we start our ride. Mississippi was raised in a home where violence and abuse was her everyday life. Her father didn’t want her and made her life horrible everyday. I could feel the pain as Mississippi thought she was no better than trash in a garbage can. I loved her unwavering faith and hope that s ...more
Jeanie
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel! It has the right mix of faith struggles, historical flavor, and family drama. The primary characters are very appealing, and those driven by greed and evil are well-portrayed. I appreciate the trigger at the beginning of the novel, for those who could be affected by “violent acts and sexual assault”. While there were pages that were challenging reading, the author still allowed dignity for the victim. If one is more sensitive to either, however, the alert is warranted.

Sippi’s
Amy
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Going into this story I didn't really know what to expect. This was a new to me author and the back blurb only talks about Mississippi's birth. And what a scene that was. So going into this story was a treat and a lovely surprise.

Mississippi, so named because the river flooded when she was born, has lived in an abusive, dirty shack of a home her whole life. At seventeen she is smart enough to know that when her father comes home drunk with her brothers and their friends, it is time for her to hi
Nyla
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Sinner in Mississippi by author D.L. Lane is a Christian historical romantic fiction. It is set in the mid 1930’s and about the life of Mississippi Singleton. There is emotional depth, spiritual growth, sad scenes, some humor, and so much that made this a roller coaster read of ups and downs.

This is not a sweet love story, but the gritty tale of a girl whole life was full of misery and strife from day one. My emotions were raw by the time I finished the book. I am still pondering if I liked
MaryAnn Bell
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not expecting me to live, the midwife cleaned me up, wrapped me in an old tea towel, and placed me in a knitting basket beside the wood-burning stove. According to Mama, the storm raged until morning, but I never made one sound. So, hours later, when they peeked in at me, they were surprised to see me sucking my thumb, staring up at them with eyes the color of bluebells.

Mama told me, that’s when she cried.

See, she hadn’t shed a single tear during the harsh pain of giving birth or out of fear of
Erin
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
The Sinner in Mississippi is a wonderful read. It’s a historical fiction novel with a love story thrown in. It is a bit hard to read in bits as it does have some violence and sexual assault. Nothing graphic but it is good to know if that is a trigger of yours.

Mississippi is a young 17-year-old girl in this book. She has had a very hard life. In fact, her mother told her that she actually hoped she wouldn’t survive being born as that would have been better for her. And in some ways, she may have
Kendra Neal
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW, just WOW. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, as the synopsis was
a bit sad. D.L. Lane is also a new to me author. Let me just say I am blown away at
how beautiful this book is. Great Storyline and the writing style is very easy to read
and beautiful.

The book is set in the 1930's and the main character is Mississippi Singleton. She
was born one month early and even though her mom never admitted it, she believes
her early birth was due to Abuse on her mom by her biological father.
Amy
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Sinner in Mississippi is my introduction to D L Lane’s writing. After reading this one, it will definitely not be the last. I thought this was a great story. I loved getting to know Mississippi. She was a fun and entertaining character. It was great taking the adventure with her. This is one of those tales that will make a reader laugh at one moment and grabbing a tissue the next. I was engaged from the start to finish and had the whole book read in just a few hours.

I am giving The Sinner i
Melissa
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really beautiful story. I don’t think I have ever read anything by D.L. Lane, but I would again.

Mississippi’s story is heartbreaking, yet so full of hope. Thayer is a wonderful hero and I think a picture of how Jesus loves us (to some extend, he definitely had his flaws that were not Jesus-like). Their romance had their ups and downs and I wasn’t always sure what was going to happen, which of course kept things interesting.

If you are looking for a book set in a time we don’t often read
Jeanette Fallon
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I didn't know what to expect as I never heard of this author. I started the book in the morning and was done by the afternoon. This was a page turner for me.
Mississippi lived a hard life. Her father and brothers treated her beyond poorly. They were cruel. She held on to what she could to survive. Her memories of Momma and three small perfume bottles kept her going buried in her heart and under her bedroom floorboards.
Everything can change in a minute as it did for Mississippi when she met
Pam
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unfamiliar with this author I was not sure what to expect when I requested The Sinner in Mississippi to review. It looked interesting so I did expect an enjoyable story. Then I began to see warnings that there were scenes that might be triggers for some people and I began to doubt my choice. Thankfully, I did decide to read this book. Although there were definitely some difficult scenes that could truly be triggers to those who have suffered similar situations, each was presented with restraint. ...more
Connie Carpenter
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

This book was a hard one to read. Not because it was bad (It was not), because there is a lot to unpack within the first 40 pages. Beware, you will go on an emotional journey with this book. This book does contain instances of violent acts and sexual assault - However it is handled with amazing faith filled Grace. This is set in 1930's. This book starts out with the birth of a child that is not expected to live. The child was not wanted and grew up in a household with a lot of abuse. This was wh
Rebecca Tews
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I knew I would from the very first chapter. What I didn’t know, however, was the emotional roller coaster ride it would take me on. There is so much sadness and heartbreak, but also happiness and hope.

Mississippi Singleton is such an amazing character. Growing up in an abusive home, she’s already gone through so much for a girl her age. She’s stubborn and strong though, and full of sass. Thayer Drayton King is such a kind-hearted man and I fell in love with him instantly. You
Pinky
Dec 23, 2020
Alice
Jan 16, 2021
D.L. Lane
Mar 23, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: d-l-s-books
Sep 22, 2020
Patricia
is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2020

• The Black Midnight (True Colors)
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
  • Texas Holiday Hideout (Cowboy Lawmen Book 2)
  • The Gold Digger (True Colors)
  • The Year the Stars Fell (The Newburg Chronicles)
  • An Ivy Hill Christmas (Tales from Ivy Hill)
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • Legacy of Honor (The Stratton Legacy, #1)
  • The Silver Shadow (True Colors)
  • A Picture of Hope (Heroines of WWII)
  • The Lady in Residence (Doors to the Past)
  • Love's Mountain Quest (Hearts of Montana, #2)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath #1)
  • The Refrain Within (Music of Hope #3)
  • The Librarian of Boone's Hollow