Start by marking “The Last Flight” as Want to Read:
The Last Flight

The Last Flight

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  32,341 ratings  ·  4,086 reviews
THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!
THE INSTANT USA TODAY BESTSELLER!

Two women. Two Flights. One last chance to disappear.

Claire Cook has a perfect life. Married to the scion of a political dynasty, with a Manhattan townhouse and a staff of ten, her surroundings are elegant, her days flawlessly choreographed, and her future auspicious. But behind closed doors, nothing is
Published June 23rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published June 2nd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Flight, please sign up.
Jacqueline
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rita
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  32,341 ratings  ·  4,086 reviews

Start your review of The Last Flight
Meredith
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ADDICTIVE!

“If we don’t tell our own stories, we’ll never take control of the narrative.”

The Last Flight is a psychological thriller about two women whose chance encounter provides them the opportunity to escape from their demons in the form of a dark and dangerous “Freaky Friday.”

Claire and Eva are at a crossroads in their lives. Claire is trying to escape from her abusive husband, while Eva is trying to escape from a dangerous career. A chance encounter at the airport enables them to switch fl
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

It’s rarely that I give a thriller 5 stars but this one was exceptionally good. I thought the dual plot lines flowed well and I didn’t have any trouble shifting from one woman’s story to the other. There is a lot of back and forth but it’s easy to follow.

So as women sometimes I think we’ve come so far but yet there are still so many women out there being abused by their husbands or controlled by dealers and pimps. This is the story of two very different women who both desperat
Dita
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dita by: Jayme
Shelves: netgalley
Okay, this was really good...

Two women in crisis meet at the airport and decide to switch tickets and escape their terrible circumstances.

Claire has choreographed her escape from abusive, douchey, Senate-seeking husband Rory with microscopic precision.

But her plans disintegrate at the last minute forcing her to punt on the fly and well, what if what she's getting is worse than what she has?

I loved that I felt smug about knowing what was happening but then got slapped into place!

Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is unique, poignant, twisty, breathtaking page turner! This story is more than a mystery or thriller: it’s emotional , thought provoking, moving, heartbreaking women’s fiction.

So this is so different from the other thrillers I’ve read this year. Two desperate women deserve clean slates by leaving their old lives that suffocating, slowly killing them.

Claire: from exterior, she seems like having a dreamy life, married with charming, wealthy politician, living in a luxurious Manhattan townhou
David Putnam
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bravo, a perfectly constructed thriller that kept me fully immersed in the fictive dream. This was due largely to the superior writing craft of the author. There are two plotlines intertwined and evolve in alternating chapters, both strong female characters well realized and easy to root for. One is mostly backstory but is dynamic enough to hold my attention. The backstory is told in past tense and the forward motion story is told in present tense. I was never lost or confused by the voices of t ...more
Kaceey
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kaceey by: Jayme
It’s been a tough year for thrillers. But after seeing so many fabulous reviews for this book, I knew I had to pick this one up! I was becoming desperate for the elusive five-star thriller! And, drum roll...... I got it!!!🤩

Claire is trapped in an abusive relationship. And it won't be easy for her to just skip away. Her husband is well known, powerful and influential in the political circles.

Poor Eva’s life has never been an easy journey. But somehow, she managed to earn her way into prestigious
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
How far would YOU go to escape a bad situation? What would you be willing to sacrifice to save your own life? When all is lost, how great of a chance would you take to protect yourself?

Hmm. Tough questions, I know. I’m glad I don’t have to answer them.

But Julie Clark does. And she addresses these moral dilemmas resoundingly in her (mostly) thrilling new novel, The Last Flight.

Claire Cook is meticulously planning her escape. Married to a powerfully ambitious, physically and emotionally abusive ma
Jayme
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY !
THIS WAS THE BEST THRILLER I HAVE READ THIS YEAR-BAR NONE!

CLAIRE:
She married into a political dynasty, and she is expected to perform her role as the future Senator’s wife, PERFECTLY.

EVA:
Despite being raised in the Foster Care system, she is doing well in College, until SHE meets the wrong guy.

TWO vulnerable women.
TWO impossible situations.

Until, they meet in an airport bar, and make a decision to switch tickets.

Claire takes Eva’s ticket to Oakland.
Eva takes Claire’s
Farrah
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
⭐ 3 𝙄'𝙢 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙨𝙝, 𝙄 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨 ⭐

I love the premise. Two women on the run, who switch flights at the last minute to ellude the dangerous people who are hunting them. I also enjoyed the author's writing style and the use of the two POVs.

I completely sympathized with Claire. She was a good person in a bad situation and she was clever and courageous in her planning and execution of a better life.

But please don't give me a book with the underlying theme of women empowerment and include a charact
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill by: Jayme
Shelves: botm
The Last Flight.... ❤️ need I say more?! This book is so sizzling hot! Would you walk away from your picture perfect life?...switching place with a complete stranger? What if their life was even more dangerous than your own? Would you do it...without knowing what was waiting for you on the other side?

This book is dangerous, thrilling and fast paced. Everything I love in a thriller. Claire and Eva switch lives, literally purses and all. Whatttt? Nope there is no going back now. Girlfriend has yo
marilyn
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Flight introduces us to two women, both running from deadly adversaries, hoping to disappear forever, to start a new life and leave the pain of their old lives behind. These women are strangers but meet each other in an airport, have a drink together, and then trade their IDs and other important items, including their plane tickets. From there they are off to a very new and unknown life. Neither woman really knows what the other is running from and what they might be running toward.

C
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
3.5

Probably had too high expectations because of so many high reviews, but still a good read. I liked it, but it wouldn't be a favorite on my shelf.

I'm the outlier in my views and it is a quick read, but Eva's chapters bored me a bit and I was so much more interested in Claire. There were also a few things that REALLY bothered me that the author kept mentioning over and over.

Pretty pacy with a couple of great twists, but a little flat in the end and didn't quite live up to the "You have to rea
daph pink  君は
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75!

"everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear!"

ADDICTIVE!
Well that’s what this book is addictive , truly totally addictive like I completed it in one sitting and the whole time I was wearing diapers , yes I forgot to eat ,poop, pee I was so invested in the story I couldn’t miss it for doing other stupid chores.

don’t you think its another physiological thriller nope! Its more than a thriller usually offer , it’s a ride a total roller coaster ride!

Two women Claire (victim of do
Oscar
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(This week I challenged myself to read three recent hyped thrillers. The others books I read were The Swap and The Wife Stalker )

trigger warning for: physical and drug abuse

"Like many, she'd grown tired of watching powerful men never being held accountable, boys will be boys evolving into an impenetrable armor, shielding them from blame."

The book follows Claire and Eva, two different women who boarded two different flights. One narrates the present while the other tells the past. Both follow
Arini
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful read for sure.
However, I seem to be one of the few ones who doesn’t find this riveting.

The story is about two women who switch flight tickets at the last minute in a desperate attempt to get out of a bad situation. Claire is running away from her abusive husband, and Eva is also trapped in an equally dire circumstance she badly needs to escape from.

I love the idea of women taking charge of their own life, women supporting women, and just the overall struggle, positivity, and hopefulne
Susanne  Strong
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4 Stars

Every Action has an Equal and Opposite Reaction.

There’s no looking back for Claire or Eva, who meet at a bar at JFK Airport. Both desperately need to escape, thus escape they shall. Realizing that their chance meeting gives them exactly what they need, they switch tickets and identities. Claire takes Eva’s flight to Oakland, while Eva takes Claire’s flight to Puerto Rico.

A Last Minute Decision. Two Women’s Lives Changed Forever.

Claire and Eva are both on the run, but from what and whom
Bridgett
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everything you ever wanted is on the other side of fear.

The Last Flight is an edgy, engaging read about two very smart and resourceful women, Claire and Eva. Told through their dual narratives...Claire's in the present and Eva's in the past, I can definitely say this novel has earned it's way onto my Top 10 List of 2020, thus far. I was heavily invested in these two women--their trials, tribulations, and their ultimate fates.

I also loved how this story covered two of my favorite gen
Carol
Turbulent Times for Two.

THE LAST FLIGHT ~ Well done debut! ~ Well done suspense! ~ Well done epilogue! I love it when an author can spin a tale and have me so engrossed in the two characters that I don't see where it all ends......and Julie Clark does just that!

Desperate, scared and alone, Claire and Eva only want to make a better life for themselves....to escape the nightmares they're living. Both fear for their lives from powerful, violent men with the means to find and eliminate them.

Improbab

JanB
The book hooked me from the first pages. Claire and Eva, both on the run for very different reasons, meet by chance in an airport lounge and decide to switch boarding passes in order to give each a head start in eluding those who will surely come after them. The flight Claire was supposed to take, the one Eva is on, crashes and Claire realizes this is an opportunity to disappear and start a new life. She assumes Eva’s identity, but soon discovers that the story Eva told her was completely false. ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Warning while I didn't use any spoiler reading my not so good worded review (rant) might ruin some suspense to the story if you prefer to go in not knowing much about the storyline.

Well, from seeing all the love (hype) for this one I definitely read a different book than most people who read and loved this one. Again I could not control that oversensitive, overthinker in me and one that I thought would be an entertaining, suspenseful page-turner just triggered that angry mother in me that feels
Larry H
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

Hollywood, here’s the basis of your next thriller: Julie Clark's The Last Flight !!

Claire thought she’d found the perfect man when she met her husband. The son of a powerful politician, he is handsome and ambitious, and he swept her off her feet. But through the years, as his ambition has grown, so has his need to control her every move—and his temper has grown more violent.

She can't stay in this marriage. She has been plotting her escape for months. She knows she has on
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, ok! Holy wow! I know many of you have read this already, but if you haven’t, please don’t miss out!

I read and LOVED Julie Clark’s debut, The Ones We Choose, and gave it five stars. It is not a thriller, but a smart, emotional story of family, and I will never forget it. With her second book, she’s written a thriller that grabbed me from the very first paragraph. The pacing never lets up, and it’s all so original and captivating, I don’t want to give any details away.

My favorite thing about t
Ceecee
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy 5 stars! Well, this is how you write a suspense thriller! 👏👏👏This is the story of two vulnerable and brave women who want to escape from their world which has become too dangerous to live in. Claire Cook is married to Rory, a family dynasty not unlike the Kennedys. Rory presents a charismatic, charming face to the world but that is not who or what he is. Claire makes plans to vanish but these plans go awry. At JFK airport she meets Eva, also on the run but the story she spins and which C ...more
Yun
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
In The Last Flight, Claire longs to escape her abusive marriage to a powerful man. A chance encounter at the airport with Eva, a mysterious woman also on the run, leads them to swap their airplane tickets. Claire heads to Eva's home in California, hoping this is the chance she needs for a fresh start. But when she steps off the plane, she hears news that Eva's plane, that one that Claire was supposed to be on, has crashed. Now Claire has to step into Eva's life while evading all that they were b ...more
Carolyn
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two women, both desperate to flee their lives and the men controlling them, cross paths in an airport bar, giving them both the chance to change their lives and start anew. But at what price?

Claire is married to Rory Cook, heir to a dynastic New York family, powerful in both money and politics. But the charming, fun and easy going man she fell in love with and married has turned into a controlling bully who abuses her both mentally and physically. With Rory's staff spying on her and reporting ba
Elyse  Walters
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Life is long, a lot of things can go wrong, but then still turn out alright”.....
except.....
for the fact that every person died on Flight 477....
.....[the plane crashed in the ocean on its way to Puerto Rico].
Oh well.....”The Last Flight”, by Julia Clark is not about the dead passengers....so you don’t need to feel sad.

In fact....you don’t need to feel sad at all in this book.
“The Last Flight” is a semi-adrenaline rush - compelling psychological thriller....escape read...from everything rel
Mandy White
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I could have read this book in one sitting if only I had started it earlier in the night! I was completely hooked from the beginning and could not wait to see how it was going to end. It was thrilling and addictive and I cannot recommend it more.

It is the story of 2 women who could not be more different - but come together to help each other out of a bad situation. Claire is married to a high profile politician in Manhattan and appears to have a perfect life. But behind closed
Bibi
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two women. Two lives that intersect in the most unlikely manner. Both running for their lives. Will they survive?

The Last Flight was so good I could have read 200 pages more, that's how thoroughly entranced I was by the fluidity of the writing and the compelling plotline.

ARC provided by Netgalley UK
Karen.J.
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG...⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“The Last Flight” by Julie Clark...I absolutely loved this book!
I can not remember the last time a read a book that I had not already figured out the ending half way through reading it. I could not read this book fast enough...it was incredible! I will not say anything more about this book because my mind is still processing this amazing story!
Enjoy and happy reading...📚
PattyMacDotComma
“She’d been told that life was a single track, carrying you forward. If you worked hard, good things happened. But she’d always known it was more like a pinball, careening and racing. The thrill was in the unexpected.”

The publisher’s blurb about the book sets the scene: two women choose to escape trouble by swapping identities. Yes, it sounds improbable, but I have to say, the author has done a good job of taking me along for the ride.

One is the wife of a high-profile, would-be US senate candi
The WITTY Book Cl...: *** #36: The Last Flight by Julie Clark *** 12 15 1 hour, 37 min ago
Book of The Month: The Last Flight *Spoiler Discussion 17 246 Jul 26, 2020 09:04PM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Hoopla Pick - June 25 1 14 Jun 25, 2020 07:21AM

• The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn #8)
  • Unfollow Me
  • Woman on the Edge
  • What It Seems
  • Nothing to See Here
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Hideaway
  • You Let Me in
  • Little Whispers
  • The Perfect Couple
  • Carmilla
Born and raised in Santa Monica, California, Julie Clark grew up reading books on the beach while everyone else surfed. After attending college at University of the Pacific, and a brief stint working in the athletic department at University of California, Berkeley, she returned home to Santa Monica to teach. She now lives there with her two young sons and a golden doodle with poor impulse control. ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Identity is a strange thing. Are we who we say we are, or do we become the person others see? Do they define us by what we choose to show them, or what they see despite our best attempts to conceal it?” 8 likes
“If we don't tell our own stories, we'll never take control of the narrative.” 5 likes