Start by marking “Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror” as Want to Read:
Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror

Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror

In this richly illustrated volume--masterfully complied from the BBC television miniseries by Stephen Jones--Clive Barker, the modern master of horror, takes you on a terrifyingly intimate tour of his personal sources and secrets. Here is the unspeakable stuff of which Barker's vision was formed: a wonderfully eclectic and wide-ranging collection of nightmares from the lit ...more
Published August 26th 1998 by Harper Paperbacks (first published April 27th 1997)

Start your review of Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun little read for any true horror fan. Facts about the real and the made up horrors that have haunted this world from way back when till now. Favorites of Clive Barker piled into one book...genius!

The only reason I didn’t give this a full five star review is mainly because I feel like so much was left out. Clive Barker is a master of horror but for some reason I felt like he was holding back. I wanted more of that gore we see so much of in his writings. Does that make me
I AM...In a World... ....of Shit
This book is a bit of a disappointment. Really, it deserves a score of 2.5.

The highlight of the book is definitely the section on H.R. Giger, of which I have always been a huge fan. It was awesome the way his artwork and contributions to the horror genre were displayed. The other was the 18th century artist Franz Xavier Messerschmidt who I was not familiar with until now. The section on the Grand Guignol was great as well.

The problem I had is that many of the sections are wastes. Th
D.M.
Jul 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun, but in no way exhaustive...nor does it presume to be. It's meant to be a review of horror by Barker, so it's weighted to his own tastes. The chapters are themed to each letter, and cover a broad range within the subject.
The authourship is questionable: the book itself says 'compiled by' Stephen Jones, but the essays appear to be suggesting themselves as by Barker himself. Quotes from him are additionally tagged marginally, but then the synopses by Jones are also individua
Regina
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to flooding in our basement (where my library just happened to be located) I had to take down and put back all my books and came across this title. I didn't remember it well except that I enjoyed it. Perfect for laying around the house to pick up and read a chapter/letter whenever I had the chance (hence the long reading period between dates).

Lovely book about books, movies, history, people, and obscure ideas that all had some influence on the talented Mr. Barker in shaping the Renaissance
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I'd love to find this one again. Owned it as a teenager. Remember it wasn't exhaustive by any means, but it was good and needs a re-read badly. Barker is a good choice for someone to write a book on horror. He certainly enjoys showing up on documentaries about it, even if he hasn't written much in the genre anymore.
Michael
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting highlights of horror, both real life and fictional. I think this would have been more interesting seeing the TV show it accompanied, seeing Barker talk about what these bits of horror mean to him.
Mark
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, film, biography
A sprawling compilation of the history genre, from two of its more knowledgeable practitioners - messrs Barker (who 'presents') and Jones. Worth a read for anyone with the slightest interest in horror.
Dan
Jun 15, 2009 added it
Great informative book with lists of movies in their own genres. Artwork from CB and great publicity shots/covers.
Gary Smith
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great history of horror reference. Love the classics!
Jamie O'Rourke
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing alphabetical rundown of horror by this generations Stephan King.
Joshua Hair
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For my fiftieth book of the year I wanted to read something special and, well, what could be more special than a special edition companion book to a Clive Barker BBC show? Better yet, make it an encyclopedia of horror handpicked by one of the masters himself. Add in a hundreds of excellent quotes and interviews with Boris Karloff, Stephen King, George Romero, and many other gods of horror and you have something that's darn near perfect for the fans. I'll get right down to it here: I love Mister ...more
Kay
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am keeping this book for my studies, it is full of amazing film history.
Emil Minchev
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, engrossing, fascinating and profound. Also a brilliant achievement in book design. Highly recommended for horror fans.
Anna Haugerud
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Was about the history of horror, mostly old movie crap, no Clive at all, just him writing it.
Mark Gamer
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
worth reading for any horror
Patrick
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2002
The British wackjob gives an alphabetical list of some of his favorite scary movies, books, and random evil stuff he finds inspiring.
Leilani
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Confused as to why Weekend at Bernie's was considered a zombie movie.
Peastatgeria
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and wonderful book. I own it and have re-read it over and over again!
Jake
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great horror compendium. Lots of fun to be found here.
Tom Kapr
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delves into film, literature, history, even fine arts. Surely one of the best collections of insights into horror throughout the ages ever published.
Veronica

• Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best I
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness
  • Books of Blood: Volumes One to Three (Books of Blood #1-3)
  • Books of Blood: Volume One (Books of Blood #1)
  • Weaveworld
  • Everville (Book of the Art #2)
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • The Great and Secret Show (Book of the Art #1)
  • Shock Rock, Volume I
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • Books of Blood: Volume Three (Books of Blood #3)
  • Magic Cottage, Das Haus auf dem Land
  • Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2
  • The Tomb and Other Tales
  • Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.