Start by marking “Imajica” as Want to Read:
Imajica

Imajica

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  18,825 Ratings  ·  774 Reviews
From master storyteller Clive Barker comes an epic tale of myth, magic, and forbidden passion—complete with new illustrations and a new Appendix.

Imajica is an epic beyond compare: vast in conception, obsessively detailed in execution, and apocalyptic in its resolution. At its heart lies the sensualist and master art forger, Gentle, whose life unravels when he encounters Ju
Published August 1st 2002 by HarperPerennial (first published October 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Imajica, please sign up.
Lisa Murphy Yes and no. Gentle is, well, Gentle, everyone loves him, and wants to sleep with him. He's not prudish, he likes who he likes. There are a gay couple…moreYes and no. Gentle is, well, Gentle, everyone loves him, and wants to sleep with him. He's not prudish, he likes who he likes. There are a gay couple that are a major part of the book. There relationship is awesome and a little heartbreaking. Sexuality is a fluid thing for Gentle, the person he falls in love with is a perfect example of this fluidity. You will love this book. (less)
Jonathan Fesmire I'm going with no. Gentle isn't repelled my men sexually, but he's not attracted to them either. This is a great book, but if you're looking for a day…moreI'm going with no. Gentle isn't repelled my men sexually, but he's not attracted to them either. This is a great book, but if you're looking for a day protagonist, you won't find that here.(less)

Stepheny
Buddy Read with my brotha from anotha motha.

The only good part about this book was reading it with a friend. I honestly can't write a review because I have no fucking clue what happened, to whom it happened to, nor what dimension I was in when it occurred.

I'm thinking that in about 10 years when my brain has recovered I would like to pick up a physical copy of the book and give it a better try.

I love audiobooks and especially ones that are long- Stephen King's It is over 44 hours and I've li
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, top-shelf
The world is not quite what we always thought it was. But this is a Clive Barker book, so that goes without saying.

The Imajica is the whole of creation, the true world, four-fifths of which we've never seen. Earth, the Fifth Dominion, has long been separate from the other four. How it got split away, held back from the other Reconciled Dominions by the horrible netherworld of the In Ovo, no one knows. But throughout history there have been Maestros, men of great and terrible power, who have trie
Dustin
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Holly Torres
Recommended to Dustin by: Senaka

“It was the pivotal teaching of Pluthero Quexos, the most celebrated dramatist of the Second Dominion, that in any fiction, no matter how ambitious its scope or profound its theme, there was only ever room for three players. Between warring kings, a peacemaker; between adoring spouses, a seducer or a child. Between twins, the spirit of the womb. Between lovers, Death. Greater numbers might drift through the drama, of course -- thousands in fact -- but they could only ever be phantoms, agents,
Brandon
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I had tried Clive Barker's work once before this, and didn't like it. Then, I checked out The Great and Secret Show, and fell in love with it. I ended up getting Imajica from my public library, thinking it was a fifty-fifty chance that I could like it.

When I first started reading it, I got bored in the first hundred pages and dropped it for a few weeks. Then, I didn't have anything else to read, and ended up picking it back up. I didn't put it back down.

Imajica is a very beaut
Steve
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a buddy-read with Dustin.

Impressive in its scope and imagining, Clive Barker has created a marathon epic, with sprawling worlds, dozens of wonderfully strange and outlandish characters straight out of our nightmares, incredibly complex confrontations, deep philosophy, high adventure, and staggering tension, all thrown at the reader from the excellent beginning to the satisfying end.

This is not a light read by any means, but the prose is fully developed. There are many unusual words in h
Rachel
Mar 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
It seems to be fashionable for modern horror writers to assume that, in order for a book to be edgy/scary, every detail must be depressing, disgusting, or some combination thereof, even when such detail borders on crass and does nothing for the plot. There is no need, for example, to include a scene where the main character watches television naked and picks the crumbs of his late-night snack out of his nether regions. No need. But "Imajica" is one long extraneous detail, an 800+ page behemoth t ...more
Bill
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: horror, favorites
If you've read his Books of Blood, the Damnation Game, the Great and Secret Show, and Weaveworld but haven't gotten around to Imajica yet, turn off your computer right now and get out there and get it.
This is Clive Barker's masterpiece. Earth is part of a dominion of five other worlds, and the only one unaware of the others. This novel is about the reuniting of Earth to the other four worlds. Again, this is horrific, beautiful, mind-expanding.
An incredible feat of the imagination...this is one
heidi
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, paper
I wish I were a college professor of gender studies. This would be an awesome text about One Artist's Perception of Gender Duality. What, you never got assigned 800-pg novels? Or maybe I could assign my hapless students to read it in opposition to His Dark Materials. At least those come in smaller packets. This is a big, epic book, with big crazy sex, and divinities familiar and alien. I find the central love story a little unconvincing, but the crazy details are richly ornamental. It's like a F ...more
Anthony Vacca
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-written more often than over-written, Clive Barker's Imajica is a picaresque (the blurb from William S. Burroughs adorning the cover of my edition agrees) dark fantasy that seeks to dispel gender binary and then imagine the fluid, and frankly erotic, possibilities for human coexistence. If you are looking for a long read with gender-bending assassins, imprisoned goddesses, magic made out of breath and spit, brutal inter-dimensional ghouls, impossible but consensual sexual contortions, oddly ...more
Jared
Jul 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I truly love Clive Barker's work, but this is BY FAR his worst, most indulgent novel. It's confused, confusing, pompous, silly, boring, lumbering and just bad. The characters act in seemingly random fashion, the pacing is long stretches of nothing followed by some infodump and then an act of violence. It's just an incoherent mess with neither plot, character or language to keep it interesting. Barker relies too heavily on his world-building to sell the novel, but quite frankly, Imajica is much l ...more
Hydra M. Star
Though one of my all time favorite books, when I set out a little over a month ago to re-read Clive Barker‘s Imajica, for the eight or ninth time in the fifteen years I’ve owned my now slightly battered hardcover edition, I didn’t know if I’d include a write up about it in my blog. It’s not only difficult for me to sum this book up in a few words, it is a very lengthy volume at 824 pages, but it is extremely difficult to do so without giving way too much. Almost literally every aspect of the sto ...more
Paul Nash
5 OUTSTANDING stars!!

This is my favorite book by Mr. Barker!! And is in my top 10 favorites of all time!

I have never read a book THIS original and magical, yet filled with a sort of oddball fantasy. Actually... I've never read a book like this ever, period! It's a gorgeous masterpiece from page one!

I say "oddball fantasy", because I had such a hard time telling people what this book was about...and I won't attempt to do so now.

Long story short; if you like an amazing story, if you like Clive B
Amanda
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Really more like 2.5. The only reason I finished this is because Simon Vance is a narrator genius. Seriously this guy can do voices like nobody else. There were a million characters and I was never once confused as to who was speaking. The overall story was interesting but it was too long and the main characters were flat. Some of the secondary characters were interesting and what made the book readable to me. Happy to be finished with this one.
John
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I can't say Imajica was a book I particularly enjoyed reading, but I nonetheless admire and respect the hell out of it. The breadth of Barker's imagination is extrodinary, and his writing style is sublime. And he has a lot to say; it's just that his concepts are a little too flighty and mystical for my taste. This book is Barker's attempt to write the Great American Fantasy Novel, and he pulls out all the stops. The fundamental problem with it for me is that I don't really care for the character ...more
Leo Robertson
Guys I don't know if you know this but, um, this book has SO many pages. Rumour has it no one even knows how many. Imajica, whispers a spirit in one of the Four Dominions that isn't Earth. I could specify which, like Barker does, but it wouldn't matter because I would be unable to describe any of them any further, like Barker didn't.

Interesting intro. Easy enough to follow. More characters were introduced and as I say once they entered these other Dominions that weren't Earth, and none of the Do
Brian Steele
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy
The best proof that Dark Fantasy novels do not have to involve semi-erotic vampires posing as P.I's or bounty hunters. Clive Barker's epic masterpiece might be a massive tome, but you need every page to tell the story. Parallel worlds that are united but lost to Earth, a secret society dedicated to eradicate all magic, mages who seek a reconciliation of the worlds, an ageless love triangle and the hidden history of god.

Yeah, some people might be turned off by a sub-plot that involves a complex
Donovan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Another classic Barker at his finest with that perfect blend of horror an fantasy, although with this read the direction is more fantasy with a nice splash of the erotic thrown in. It's not always an easy read as it is over 1000+ long!!!

Plot ***Spoilers***
The Fifth Dominion:
The novel opens with a man, Charlie Estabrook, hiring the mysterious assassin Pie 'Oh' Pah to murder his estranged wife, Judith. Pie heads to New York and makes an attempt on Judith's life, but fails. Estabrook, having come t
Crystie
I feel like this book kind of ruined my life, in that I know that nothing I ever read from here on out will ever be as good. Like an addict's first hit of their poison of choice, nothing will ever be this good again. That makes me sad, but knowing that now, I'd still read it. It was just. Wow. Thank you so much for ruining my life forever, Clive Barker, you're actually the best.

I've been recommending it to everybody I encounter, from friends to strangers in my literature classes, but I can't exp
Nicholas Armstrong
Jan 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: weirdos.
Recommended to Nicholas by: A pretty weird guy.
So I have read something else of Clive Barker's. Good to know. Umm, this book is really goddamn weird. I've read and watched some odd things, but this is reaaaaally out there. I normally like original things... not so sure here. I remember talking to another person about weird books and they told me about a book where the main character had a bug head, a wasp I want to say, and I remember thinking 'That sounds really stupid.' and I think I feel the same way with most of Imajica.

It's true, the bo
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Transferring review into the audio edition. Mostly because Simon Vance is the only reason I didn't quit :)

This is somewhat frustrating because this book is actually a decent story. The problem is, it's much too long. It either needed to be drastically shortened or it needed more conflict throughout. It was told in a very smooth and steady style that I believe would work very well for someone who wants to relax and get lost in a book for a very long while. This is not me.

I wouldn't say that it's
Jim Peterson
I don’t think I would change a word of this story. It was perfect, incredibly entertaining and I’m sad it’s over. It’s now my favorite Clive Barker book and one of my favorite books overall.

While I enjoyed Hellraiser and do intend to read the Books of Blood, I think Clive Barker's move from horror to fantasy resulted in some of the most original stories ever written.

Though I’ve mentioned this in other Barker reviews, I just want to stress how much I love his style of writing. It’s just so elega
James Chatham
An interesting premise with some undeniably great worldbuilding, yet marred by a grueling pace and the need for some heavy-handed editing. There was a span of 200 pages near the middle that I absolutely loved, but the rest of the book I found a slog.
Michael Benavidez
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reality: 4.8

This is a book with such a large scope, that it's a surprise that Clive Barker was able to go follow it through to the very end. It does show in places that it is a very hard journey to have maintained throughout.
If there was a flaw in this book, it would be the fact that Clive Barker has such a picturesque vision of the Imajica that he tries to put down every bit of detail that he can. This not only slows down the narrative, but makes the characters seem as though they aren't what'
Mark R.
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When someone asks me what "Imajica" is about, I always find it difficult to explain. It's a complicated book, but very readable, and it's got a plot, but one that isn't terribly easy to describe.

I suppose, in short, it's the story of a man who discovers four worlds linked to, but separated from, Earth, and how he goes about traveling through these worlds in order to discover the secrets of his own past, a past mysterious even to himself.

And that's really not a very good summary. It's hard to de
Hannah
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. And, like many others who have reviewed it, I didn't read it all the way through the first time I tried to read it. This book is LONG. And it DRAGS. I don't know why, but Clive Barker loves to drag. I think I finished it my third time or so and that's only because I really wanted to see what happened.

I have to admit, I hated it at first. It was so slow and boring and skipped around so much that I just didn't want to deal with it, I wanted to read something easier. I'd retai
Ms. Nikki
May 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

This sweeping novel takes the reader on a fantastical ride through dimensions and the lives of intriguingly genuine characters.

Elegantly told, Barker's larger than life characters enchant and entertain.

Imajica is full of adventure, love, lust, power, greed and betrayal.

I listened to the audio-book and although getting through the book was an arduous task because of the length, the narrator did an excellent job conveying the characters, inflections, and keeping the story flowing.

I would
Chris Berko
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I've forgotten how good Clive Barker can be. Weaveworld, Cabal, Great and Secret Show, all the Books of Blood, I read and loved these in my teens. Then came Coldheart Canyon which was kinda pointless and not good and then a few years ago I read Mister B Gone and he lost me. Didn't like that one at all. Imajica is now probably my second favorite behind Great and Secret Show, its slow and steady and builds to an incredible ending that very satisfyingly ties it all up. Glad I finally read this ...more
Aether
I don't even know what to say about this book.
I read it first when I was 11 years old and I won't say that I understood everything... Also, my dad was pretty shocked when he remembered the sex scenes - AFTER I read the whole thing, so...
I have to be in a specific mood (and have enough time) to read this book but it happens about once every two years. I really, really love it; it made me love Fantasy stories even more than I did before so I'll always be grateful for that :)
Kes
May 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2018
Positives: interesting idea (the world has five dominions which are split apart). Genderfluid character (with love interest). Gay couples (most significantly, Taylor and Clem).

Negatives: the execution. I was definitely not into the sexual slavery ((view spoiler)) and rape ((view spoiler)
  • Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2
  • Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
  • The Yattering and Jack
  • Wraeththu (Wraeththu #1-3)
  • Clive Barker: The Dark Fantastic: The Authorized Biography
  • Clive Barker : Illustrator
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • Necroscope III: The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Drawing Blood
  • Noctuary
  • Song of Kali
  • The Chosen
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
“We’re too much ourselves. Afraid of letting go of what we are, in case we are nothing, and holding on so tight, we lose everything else.” 247 likes
“A man kills the thing he loves, and he must die a little himself.” 88 likes