Start by marking “Hollow” as Want to Read:
Hollow

Hollow

A car accident shattered sixteen-year-old Morgan's family. Now her brothers dead, her mom's paralyzed in more ways than one, her dad lives at work and her seven-year-old sister Amy tries too freaking hard to salvage everything. Whats more, high school is its own special kind of hell, where her ex-boyfriend delights in spreading rumors that shred her reputation and make her ...more
ebook
Published March 24th 2020 by Tyche Books

To ask other readers questions about Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollow

Start your review of Hollow
Ari
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | B&N

It wasn't my fault.

At the center of Hollow is Morgan, our lead and the character through the eyes of which we witness the story unfold. After the death of her little brother, Aric, in a car accident where she, her mother and younger sister were also participants, Morgan copes with not only the deep depression that stems out of this traumatizing experience and the strenuous relationship she now has with her mother. But she also has to deal with the
Dee Arr
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, ya

I thought that Hollow was going to be a horror story, one of those that pulls the main character down and down until the reader wonders if there is a way out. In reality, the story is about Morgan, a girl who is already struggling in her personal version of teenage hell. As Morgan is telling the story, her fears unfold on every page, magnifying to sizes that are impossible for anyone to deal with.

Yes, there is horror involved, a supernatural essence that hangs in the background while dressing
Claire Y
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Bizarre. It's like "Alice in Wonderland" meets "The Crow." I don't consider this book anywhere close to being a horror story. It was just a peculiar and painfully slow read. The excitement doesn't start until you are a little past the 33% mark; and it's not much.

I didn't get how the camera fit into the story, let alone the magpie. I mean, how did the camera get possessed or imbued with evil? What did the magpie signify?

There were some humorous moments and that broke up the monotony. Overall, a
Xavier Hugonet
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I picked this book, in the horror category, based on its cover and the description. I failed to notice it was a YA novel. I also failed to notice it while I was reading it. Its something I only noticed when I started writing this review.

Hollow being a YA novel explains why its devoid of violence or, at least, of gore. It explains why it is psychological horror which, as we all know, is the best kind of horror there is.

Morgan is a teenager attending high school. She doesnt have it easy. Her
Mark Carnelley
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love a good horror read thats builds suspense as the story evolves. This is one of those stories. Plus more. Brilliantly written, this story increases the tension and the horror chapter by chapter, never allowing the reader one iota of the finale. And what a finale!
Five ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ stars for a chilling read.
Nadhira Satria
Dec 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
THIS SOUNDS SO INTERESTING
Sherry Fundin
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I love books that involve photography in some way, so when I read the blurb, I had to check out Hollow by Rhonda Parrish.

The accident changed her world.

Her only solace was runningand Sevren.

An abandoned hospital. An evil doctor. A camera. A magpie.

Life is full of ups and downs, good times and bad times, good people and some not so good, but we all have a story to tell.

Its hard to talk about Hollow without giving too much away, but Morgan faces her fears and tragic events.

I enjoyed Hollow by
Rhonda
Jan 13, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
HOLLOW is a haunting, urgent, wonderful book. Be prepared to ugly cry and compulsively turn the pages to get to the end. Its just that good a read. -- Carrie Jones, New York Times and International Bestselling author

A wrenching story of all different kinds of horror. It grabs you by the heart and squeezes until its fingernails turn white. -- Patrick Weekes, author of Feeder
Mickey
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am not really one to enjoy YA novels, but I will admit, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. If you've watched the movie Polaroid and enjoyed it, you'll love this book. It is along similar lines just without the deaths and the gore.
It was very well written and honestly I was sucked in straight away. I felt quite disappointed when it ended and did want to read more.

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to review this fabulous book.
Kasha In Bookland
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The perfect creepy mystery to read in one rainy day under your bed covers.

After an accident in which Morgan lost her brother, she has been trying to move on but things will never be back to normal. One day she finds herself inside an abandoned hospital where she finds a mysterious camera. There are many creepy and disturbing stories told about this hospital and what really happened there before it was shut down.

Morgan takes the camera home and it is not until she starts taking pictures of people
Iseult Murphy
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Morgan, who had two life altering incidents occur around the same time, and isnt coping very well. Unfortunately, none of her family are coping either, and the pain has hollowed Morgan out from the inside.
Wow, the depth and sensitivity with which Parrish writes these characters is incredible. It is so true that it made my bones ache. There is a lot crammed into this novel - death, depression, disability, guilt, abuse. Somehow Parrish manages to write it all, touching your
Farshana S A
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Many thanks to Net Galley and Tyche Books for a chance to review this book.

Hollow is YA horror fiction that hits all the right notes. Personally, I have not held much stock in the classification of YA and this book kind of reinstates it. Well, for someone who can still read and watch Harry Potter any number of times, YA classification is a moot point for me. Even so, Hollow by Rhonda Parrish is clearly a book that can be read by all fans of horror fiction.

Morgan has lost her brother Aric in an
K. Lincoln
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here's the thing about stuff I've read by Parrish....I love the characters, the writing flows smoothly, there's a spine-tingling pleasant creepiness, and I get invested...and then the story ends. Her stuff always feels too short for me because i want to linger in the story world she's created.

And that's pretty much the case here, too. High Schooler Morgan had a bad encounter with her ex boyfriend, was involved in a car accident that took the life of her little brother, and now is trying to
Nikki
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given this ARC in exchange for an honest review. This will be spoiler free.

Hollow tells the story of 16 year old Morgan who is working through the aftermath of a horrific tragedy that has left her family in ruins. She is dealing with some of her own personal trauma which is making her school life just as dreadful as her home life. She has shouldered a lot of responsibility especially for her younger sister Amy. And she shoulders an enormous amount of guilt over everything that has
Ixxati
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is something new. The plot are pretty interesting but it just fall flat. If the author explain more then I think it's going to be a good story. I wanted to know how did the camera take people's goodness and left the bad one. The ending doesn't help at all lol it ends without even answering what I wanted to know phewww

Thank you Netgalley, author and publisher for Hollow ARC!

🌟🌟🌟
The Mustache Louie Matos
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Many thanks to NetGalley and Tyche Books for a chance to review this book. This is my first from NetGalley and I look forward to many more. Hollow is a YA horror novel which prevails on several fronts. The novel is a well-told tale that provokes reading. Despite its very lyrical quality, it moves at a fast pace with a vocabulary that is organic and poetic. Its as if the reader is being drawn in by a skilled bard that whispers at a campfire.
The narrative is told from the first-person point of
Megan Fennell
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Terrific immersive imagery, a believably teenage-voiced narrator, and a powerful cathartic plot that didn't go even slightly where I thought that it would. (I had a couple of cocky 'oh, I totally see where this is going' moments in the first fourth and was completely wrong on all counts, to my delight!) I was cruising along happily with this easy read and then got my socks rocked by the final few chapters that came out of nowhere with some intense, emotional sucker-punches. I really enjoyed the ...more
Tânia
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
A camera that steals one's goodness, one's essence, and leaves them hollow? A camera that makes one a corrupted version of their former self? I'm in!

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
Nicole Luiken
I received an eARC from the author.

I cared deeply about Morgan from chapter one on. The haunted hospital made for a moody, atmospheric setting. The first half of the story had a slower build to one of the plot elements promised on the blurb than I expected, but I really liked the climax.

Also, the cover is awesome!
Topsues
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What happens when any goodness, compassion, love or care disappears from your life? Rhonda Parrish has created a storyline of what her characters are left with when half of themselves have no choice and it is sucked from their very soul. A haunted hospital, A haunted Camera and a life Morgan has suffered every since the loss of her brother, plus a traumatic event that tortures her day and night . There is little love left in her home, apart from her little sister who she would protect with her ...more
Sherlock Hughes
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! I picked it up because the premise sounded like a horror movie that I would buy and I knew if I would buy the movie then I would definitely enjoy the book.

I don't want to give too much away but basically Morgan lost her brother in a car accident that her mother, sister and herself were also in. Now home is horrible due to the fall out of the accident and she's just try to hang on. When she finds an old camera in a creepy abandoned hospital she doesn't expect that the camera
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Teen dealing with way too much

Morgan's house is devoid of happiness since her little.brother was killed and her mother paralyzed in a car accident. Her Dad works all the time now, her Mom hardly ever comes out of their room, and Morgan is basically raising her younger sister and herself.

At the same time she's having to deal with high school bullies that are making her life miserable. The only thing she's still getting enjoyment from is photography and her best friend, Sevren.

Toss in an abandoned
Jen Rattie
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imagine being in high school which is already a surreal nightmarish experience on its own but then losing your support system tragically in the form of death, injury or neglect. Morgan struggles through a traumatic HS relationship fallout, depression, her family being fractured and finally, thinks her life is looking up when the source of her small bit of happiness turns out to be dangerous beyond belief. I agree with Morgan - running helps. It's how I got through HS.

I normally don't read a lot
Kristin
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book but fell in deep and wanted more. This book feels very much in the beginning like your run of the mill young adult teen angst but slowly morphs in a horror tale that delves into the interior of the teen mind and conflicting internal battles of good and evil which is swayed by family and circumstances. I instantly fell in love with the pace and the tone of the narration. You feel connected with the main protagonist, who is introduced ...more
Susan
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
High School can be a horror story. The main character Morgan is having a tough time in her life with a recent car accident that killed her little brother and crippled her mother. This doesnt stop some of the boys in her school from being jerks and harassing her daily. When Morgan finds a soul sucking camera in an abandoned hospital things get even worse for her. Will Morgan find the strength within herself to set things right?

I liked Morgan right away. She reminded me of my teenage self. Shes
Aida Alberto
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Creepy and that's a mild word for this book. Don't start this book at night or I can promise you that you'll sleep with the lights on if you sleep at all. Read it though. It's really good. Happy reading! #Hollow #NetGalley
Does Chippy
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a well-written story that follows Morgan through difficult portions of her life. Be cautious when reading this book, though, as you may be triggered by some of the content.

Janice Drake
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was definitely a different horror story and it creeps up on you. There was a lot of back story to get through and teenage angst which slowed things down, but the book builds and builds until the horror is real. Excellent as a YA novel.
I received this book as an ARC and wished to leave a review.
Bec
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
Review to come.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Suzanne Hare
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen year old Morgans problems just keep piling up. First a tragic car accident shatters her family, her brother Id dead, her mother paralyzed, her dad is missing in action and her seven year old sister is feeling it the most. Her ex boyfriend spread humiliating rumours about her so school is no escape. She then finds a camera in an abandoned hospital, only when she takes someones picture it seems to still the goodness from the. To top it off her sister takes a selfie. Now she is trying to ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Language of Cherries
  • The Twin
  • Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology
  • The June Boys
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • The Wise Friend
  • City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1)
  • Little Secrets
  • Confessions About Colton
  • Justice in a Bottle
  • All the Pretty Things
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
Rhonda Parrish is driven by a desire to do All The Things. She founded and ran Niteblade Magazine, is an Assistant Editor at World Weaver Press and is the editor of several anthologies including, most recently, Earth: Giants, Golems and Gargoyles, and Grimm, Grit and Gasoline.

In addition, Rhonda is an award-winning writer whose short work has been in publications such as the Rhysling Anthology and