Start by marking “The Pioneers Go West” as Want to Read:
The Pioneers Go West

The Pioneers Go West

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In the spring of 1844, eleven covered wagons set off from Council Bluffs, Iowa, and headed west toward California. On the long and arduous journey, the pioneers had dangerous encounters with Indians and buffalo. They endured inclement weather and difficult terrain, near-starvation and disaster. But, miraculously, they survived. Based on the journal of a seventeen-year-old ...more
Published June 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Pioneers Go West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pioneers Go West

Matthew
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was interesting in that it is sold as fiction, but has supposed truth elements. Most of the book I believe is conjecture as the original manuscripts it is based on were lost due to fire. A good story and indicative of other pioneer adventures, but a little too juvenile in nature.
Betsy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Very simplified story of the first wagon train to successfully make it to California but fascinating for my 8 year old. The author used Mose's actual journal in writing the book, so it sounds accurate. It makes me want to read the original journal!
Lynn Spencer
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this one with one of my little cousins. It's not a bad book, but there's just a lot more telling than showing. When I was about 10 or 11, I probably would have liked it more because the information on frontier travel was interesting.
Bhg
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

"Any pre-adolescent who has not feasted on them has been cheated." Dr. Henry F. Graff, Associate Professor of History, Columbia University, in The New York Times "One of the most critically acclaimed, best-selling children's book series ever published." - The New York Times

"They are ideal teaching aids since they present authentic information on American history in such vivid and realistic manner that boys and girls will read the books voluntarily." Bulletin of the National Association of Seco

Hosanna
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was nothing like I expected. It was a good non-fiction book with information on the first wagon team that made it to California. However, because it was non-fiction, I didn't feel very involved in the story or the characters and their trials. George R. Stewart did a good job in his investigation and studying on the subject.
Taylor
Feb 03, 2010 is currently reading it
my teacher is reading it to us, so far so good!
Jordan
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great so far .teacher is reading 2 us.
Mckinley
I appreciated the realistic and historic aspect. I wasn't the captivated by the actual story.
Andrew
Jim D'Ambrosia
Apr 16, 2016
Jeffrey
Jan 09, 2013
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2010
DEE
Apr 04, 2017
Nancy Mcclenathan
Aug 13, 2016
George Rippey Stewart was an American toponymist, a novelist, and a professor of English at the University of California, Berkeley. He is best known for his only science fiction novel Earth Abides (1949), a post-apocalyptic novel, for which he won the first International Fantasy Award in 1951. It was dramatized on radio's Escape and inspired Stephen King's The Stand .

His 1941 novel Storm , featu
More about George R. Stewart...