Start by marking “The Myth of Osteoporosis: What Every Woman Should Know about Creating Bone Health” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
With her well-researched work, Gill Sanson has done physicians and lay people a great service. She has provided clear insight into the myths of osteoporosis. These myths motivate both patient and physician into a lifetime of unnecessary testing and drug therapy — therapy that can in fact be life-threatening. Her well-documented explanation of these myths can spare women gr ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by MCD Century Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of Osteoporosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of Osteoporosis

Iona  Stewart
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gillian Sanson’s 16-year old daughter was told she had the bones of an 80-year-old, and eight members of her family, including herself, had varying degrees of low bone mineral density (BMD). Some of them were diagnosed with osteoporosis and the rest with osteopenia, which is a lesser degree of the latter. Thus she felt herself obliged to find accurate information on the subject.

She found out that we have all been exposed to misinformation about osteoporosis, and that healthy women are filled wit
Marianna Monaco
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
A must read for every woman of a certain age.
A clear-headed evaluation of the current medical diagnostics and treatment of osteoporosis. (Not re-assuring).
The take-home message is EXERCISE for bone health and COMMON SENSE for prevention of falls.
Suzy
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
My first accomplishment in my quest to finish 3 long-lingering "currently reading" non-fictions. I've given up fiction for Lent, just to finish these!
Having been diagnosed with the "bones of an 85-yr old" at age 52, I was silently panicking, until a nutritionist whose workshop I attended highly recommended this book to me (she is also in the high-risk category: white, 5' tall, and around 100 lbs, like me). I stopped reading it for awhile because it seemed repetitive, but I recently took it up ag
Laura Siegel
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
This book is well written and easy to read but I am no closer to understanding what to do about osteoporosis. This is a major flaw of this book.

The author quotes several reputable sources, like Dr. Susan Ott, but if you go to the website of these sources the physicians advocate much more conservative treatment then Sanson leads you to believe.

Her approach is rather simplistic. Yes, good diet and exercise can help to prevent osteoporosis and yes safety precautions can help prevent falls. But wh
Deborah
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel much less anxious about my diagnosis and my refusal to take prescription meds after reading this informative book. I only wish I had read it before I agreed to get a Dexa scan in the first place.
Jennifer Winter
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should pick up this book and awaken to the many myths that allopathic medicine has created to ultimately scare us into taking unnecessary pharmaceuticals.
Sharon
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A must read for women - preferably before your first bone density test - but full of good information at any age. Some of the information is down right shocking!
Kaaren Douglas