Start by marking “The Lights of Prague” as Want to Read:
The Lights of Prague

The Lights of Prague

For readers of VE Schwab and The Witcher, science and magic clash in atmospheric gaslight-era Prague.

In the quiet streets of Prague all manner of otherworldly creatures lurk in the shadows. Unbeknownst to its citizens, their only hope against the tide of predators are the dauntless lamplighters - a secret elite of monster hunters whose light staves off the darkness each ni
Published May 25th 2021 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lights of Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lights of Prague

Start your review of The Lights of Prague
Charlotte (Books and Bouquets)
Massive thank you to Titan Books and NetGalley for providing me with a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Lights of Prague follows Domek Myska, a lamplighter, whose job secretly involves keeping the city of Prague safe from pijavice (vampires) and Lady Ora Fischerová, an aristocratic, bisexual widow, who just happens to also be a pijavica. It follows their relationship, and their intertwining storylines as they both attempt to save Prague, before the pijavice, who have recently discov
♥Milica♥
There are many reasons why I wanted to read this book. From the pretty cover, to the title, setting and blurb. But the real winner for me, was the word "pijavica".

In my language (and in Czech too, I'd imagine, as our languages aren't so different) it means leech. I thought that was a really endearing way to say vampire. Then again endearing probably isn't the right word, since the vampires in this story are anything but cuddly...either way I thought it was cool and a tiny bit funny. I kept gigg
aphrodite
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was such a treat. I mean it’s VAMPIRES in PRAGUE!! how could I not enjoy this??

it was really refreshing to see a vampire story not set in london (or just any story because apparently thats the only city in the world). I admit the setting was definitely my favorite part of the book. the plot & characters weren’t all that revolutionary but I say if you’re a fan of vampires stories you should check this one out!!
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via Edelweiss for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I quite liked this historical fantasy/mystery about vampires (pijavice) in Prague and the lamplighter who kills them, only to then fall in love with one of them.

I will admit the premise wouldn't have caught my eye if it wasn't that the vampire heroine is bisexual (I promise you will never catch me reading about str*ight vampires...ever). The book immediately dre
micolreads
May 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
If you are looking for a book without any character depth nor development, a plot that is so basic that literally nothing happens, a world building that is so plain I couldn’t even imagine myself in that city. The only thing that kept me from dnf is the writing style. It’s good, but unfortunately all the rest was not and in the end, this book was just bad for me.
Thanks to netgalley for the ecopy.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Oct 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 Stars
This was a simple, fun take on vampire fiction. I wish it had been darker with less romance. A nice story, but just not my personal tastes.
Ria ♡
Jun 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
This was so eerie and magical. I really loved this a lot! I lovedddddd the setting, Ora and Domek were really great POV characters, and the lore was just sooooo good! If this is on your tbr and you need something to read that’s easy and a standalone? This is it! It does a great job of explaining everything you need to know within the story, and the pacing is fantastic.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from this but the historical time period, Prague as the setting and all of the monsters just m
Lou (nonfiction fiend)
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Lights of Prague is Nicole Jarvis’ debut historical fantasy novel with a delicious gothic tinge to it and tells a haunting story drawn from long-established Eastern European mythology. Otherworldly creatures of dark myth roam the streets of the city and only the lamplighters of Prague offer protection against this conspiracy of vampiric pijavica, the Czech cousin of the vampire. Domek Myska walks the dingy, cobblestone streets of 19th century Prague as a member of the Lamplighters’ Guild, a ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/06/01/...

Set in 19th century Prague, Nicole Jarvis’ historical fantasy debut opens on a world at the cusp of great change. Society has been introduced to countless wonderful new scientific technologies, paving the way for an era of cultural and artistic development. Residents of the city are enjoying a revolution of sorts, with everything around them changing quickly, becoming better and more modern. However, unbeknownst to its cit
Jennie Damron
Mar 21, 2022 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up

I'm struggling with what to rate this book. After reading The Maid and hating it, it put me in a bit of a reading slump. Then my mental health took a turn for the worst and no matter what book I picked up I just couldn't focus. My hubby seeing my struggle said, "Honey, this book is set in Prague, you love Prague. Try it, I think you'll like it."
I really don't think my lack of enjoyment is the books fault. It had everything I normally would love. Vampires, ghosts, wisps, alchemy an
Rozanne Visagie
Thank you to Netgalley and Titan Books for gifting me an electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"𝙵𝚘𝚛 𝙳𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚔, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚐𝚊𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚖𝚙𝚜 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚓𝚘𝚋, 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚊𝚜𝚜𝚞𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚎𝚘𝚙𝚕𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚕𝚍 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚋𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛. 𝙵𝚘𝚛 𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜, 𝙿𝚛𝚊𝚐𝚞𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚏𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚞𝚗𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚢."

The age-old fight of vampires against humans is brought to life in The Lights of Prague, the debut novel of Nicole Jarvis. Walking the streets of Prague at night in
Holly (The GrimDragon)
"There was something melancholic yet comforting about a silent library. So much knowledge sat unlearned. Books without readers were only paper."

The Lights of Prague is the debut novel from Nicole Jarvis & comes out on the 25th in North America & TODAY for the rest of the world!

Thanks to Titan Books for the copy & for inviting me along on the Instagram tour!

Taking place in gaslight-era Prague, this has such a comfortable, cozy vibe but with wicked sharp teeth!

Jarvis weaves together historical fan
Charlotte
Jul 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites

a beautifully stunning debut that’s addictive, unique and strikingly vivid. the writing in this is exceptional. it’s so delightful to read and the characters (ora and domek) are so compelling. this book has to be one of the BEST books i’ve read so far this year and it’s definitely a new favourite of mine. it’s absolutely AMAZING.
charlotte,
Hopeless or not, life keeps moving. I don’t intend to let it move on past me.

On my blog.

Rep: bi mc with depression, wlw side character, gay side characters

CWs: violence, gore

Galley provided by publisher

Something about the year 2020 seems to have led half of my most anticipated releases (although this one has since been pushed to 2021) to be boring as anything to me. I should have liked this one. It combines some of my favourite things (sapphic historical paranormal mystery). And yet.

The
Eshana Ranasinghe
Jan 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
I heard it is gay. I'm here for the gay ...more
Milou
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I requested this from Netgalley because just look at that cover! Also, The Husband and I went on our honeymoon to Prague, so the city has a special place in my heart. And I am happy to report that this read was a lot of fun.

We follow two characters, Domek and Ora, both on their own hunt to find the truth (and of course their paths collide). Domek is a lamplighter, an organization that keeps the streets safe at night. From monsters that is (also, he does light the gaslamps on the steet). And most
Alex (HEABookNerd)
THE LIGHTS OF PRAGUE is a bit out of my usual reading genre but I'm glad I picked it up because I liked this interesting historical fantasy. The descriptions of a gas lamp era Prague were lush and beautiful and I really felt like I was there. I also enjoyed both main characters, our lamplighter and monster hunter, Domek, and our beautiful and aloof pijavice (vampire), Ora. I expected this to be mostly fantasy but there is a little bit of a romance that does end with Domek and Ora together and th ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious

You can read an excerpt from The Lights of Prague here!
Words cannot express how much I adored this debut. Atmospheric and engaging, The Lights of Prague swept me away to another time and place. This is a must read for fans of immersive fantasy.
"With the gas lamps came the lamplighters to patrol and protect their routes, fighting back against the shadows of Prague."
Oozing with atmosphere that engages all of the senses, Jarvis transports the reader to Prague of the 1800s with its l
Snowleesi
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss, fantasy
I was overjoyed when I received a free review copy of this book from Edelweiss+. I grew up in Europe, grew up on Slavic mythology, and I am very familiar with it. Central and Eastern Europe is still too rare a setting in western literature, and Slavic myths and legends are even rarer a subject. This was a book I would definitely have reached for, sooner rather than later.

I have never actually been to Prague, although I've visited nearby Slovakia, and I am familiar enough with old European cities
Celia
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and Titan Books for the e-arc.

Ah, this was such a treat! I've been itching for some historical creepiness since finishing Penny Dreadful on Showtime. This gave me the dark, atmospheric vibes I was craving. This story centered on a lamplighter (moonlighting as a vampire hunter) and a vampire living amongst humans.

I loved the split POV as you get to see both worlds. I absolutely loved the setting. Prague was one of my favorite cities I'd visited and it holds a special place
Para (wanderer)
Thanks to the publisher (Titan Books) for the ARC of this book.

Another of my long-overdue ARCs. I think I picked it up for 1) bisexual vampires and 2) because it was set in Prague (I'm beyond tired of UK-based historical stuff), and it was...fine I guess? Plot-wise, it's bog standard urban fantasy with vampires and romance between Ora, a vampire lady and Domek, a monster hunter. Not bad at all, but didn't do anything new or interesting either.

My ambivalence wasn't helped by the fact that Domek
Verónica Fleitas Solich
4.5
Vampires, monsters and other creatures have returned and they are stomping!
Great atmosphere and characters that I think still have a lot to tell.
I really enjoyed the story and those little details that make it different from other vampire books.
I want more from Domek and Ora!
Đorđe
Aug 11, 2021 rated it liked it
It was ok i guess, kinda basic.
"Pijavica" being used to describe vampires did it for me.
Martina
Sep 30, 2021 rated it it was ok
*sighs* I really wanted to like this book. It's set in my hometown and it's a fantasy with non-sparkly vampires. If it was a fantasy book just inspired by Prague and Czechia, then I'd be okay with absolutely anything the author did there. But it's magical realism, it's set in a very realistic 19th century Prague, only with supernatural forces and so it should be accurate.

Historically and geographically, there were only a few errors and I'm no historian to really judge anyways. But the NAMES. The
Anita
Jun 07, 2021 rated it liked it
The setting of this novel was superb, and as someone that has visited Prague a couple of times, I feel like the author really captured the feel of the city. The way that the vampires functioned was also pretty original, and I liked the more cultural take on them - especially with the other supernatural elements that appear, like will-o-the-wisps and the White Lady of Prague.

Sadly, there were also alot of things that didn't work for me. The characters needed more time to develop, and I found it h
Jenna
Jul 02, 2021 rated it liked it
~2.5 stars

Not saying it's not a good book....just not a book for me.
Julie
Oct 06, 2021 added it
Atmospheric, very languorously paced historical fantasy w/ vampires. Bookseller recommended to me and I enjoyed!
Sasan
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally found one, I finally found a book where vampires ARE SCARY!

I have received this book in exchange of an honest review, thank you to NetGalley and Titan Books for the opportunity.

I have my own blog now, so please do give it a visit if you're interested in my other reviews :)

──────────────────

I'm a fan of historical fiction with a fantasy twist, although I will admit that I'm not very big on vampires as I was not very confident that they can be "scary", but Nicole Jarvis may have changed
TheVampireBookworm
Feb 19, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-books
I know a lot of you like glimpses into our history so I might have a treat for you. Vampires surrounded by beautiful atmospheric Prague in the 19th century, how does that sound? I don't really care for historical novels but because this one was about our capital, I had to sink my fangs in.
In this novel we meet a lamplighter Domek who watches over Prague with his guild of monster killers. He winds up having a wisp-o'-the-willow in his possesion and starts unraveling a vampire conspiracy. He is v
Jos
Apr 24, 2022 rated it really liked it
I liked the book, but it didn’t blow my mind. The plot was kind of predictable. I did not feel the chemistry between the love interests. And I did not like Domek. He was the plain ass shounen anime protagonist that felt like saving the world was something he had to do all by himself. Which makes characters so self important that I start disliking them.
A good thing though, was that the author was aware of this and made the characters around Domek comment on this. I loved that!!

What saved the sto

• The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Boyfriend Material (London Calling, #1)
  • It Devours! (Welcome to Night Vale, #2)
  • The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger, #3)
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1)
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • ハイキュー!! 18 [Haikyū!! 18]
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • A Man and His Cat, Vol. 1 (A Man and His Cat, #1)
  • Her Fearful Symmetry
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Scorpion Rules (Prisoners of Peace, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 3 (The Promise, #3)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 2 (The Promise, #2)
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Nemesis and the Swan