Start by marking “The Chain” as Want to Read:
The Chain

The Chain

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  45,442 ratings  ·  7,101 reviews
It’s something parents do every morning: Rachel Klein drops her daughter at the bus stop and heads into her day. But a cell phone call from an unknown number changes everything: it’s a woman on the line, informing her that she has Kylie bound and gagged in her back seat, and the only way Rachel will see her again is to follow her instructions exactly: pay a ransom, and fin ...more
Published September 22nd 2020 by Mulholland Books (first published July 9th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Chain, please sign up.
ToniHiggsReviews No and that goes for any author. I like to hear about what my friends and favourite authors like. Authors will be more critical of other authors work …moreNo and that goes for any author. I like to hear about what my friends and favourite authors like. Authors will be more critical of other authors work as they'll spot things the average reader won't. We all like different things so might not agree on what someone recommends is good or bad regardless of whether the person is an author or not.

If you don't want to read what anyone recommends you don't have to no one is forcing you to.

You say you want honesty in reviews. Can you guarantee a member of the public won't rate all one authors work 5 stars because it's their favourite author or a friend even or vice versa rate them all low just because they hate the author?(less)

·  45,442 ratings  ·  7,101 reviews

Start your review of The Chain
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Okay, I will start to bidding with five stars, I think I heard five hundred stars! Five hundred, five thousand, do I heard five billion, oh that redhead woman raised her hand, SOLD to five billion stars to this precious, mind hunting, terrifying, nerve bending, good night sleep killer book!

You can guess that I’m the red haired woman who emptied all her star funds for this reading . And here are my thoughts about this book:

WOWWWWWWWWWWW! WOWWWWWWWW! WOWWWW!

30 minutes left- I’m speechless!

1 hours
Meredith
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
My feelings are all over the place with this one. Loved it in the beginning, but I wasn’t a fan by the end.

The Chain has a fascinating premise and is told in two parts.

Part one begins with a bang: When Rachel, a single mom who has fought her fair share of battles, learns her daughter has been kidnapped by “The Chain,” she learns she must not only pay a ransom but kidnap another child to free her daughter. Will she kidnap someone else's child or will she risk losing her daughter forever.

Par
Paromjit
Adrian McKinty has never written a book I have not loved, and this intense, dark psychological thriller is just brilliant with its killer and diabolical premise of the chain. 35 year old Rachel Klein is a divorced single mother, with 13 year old daughter, Kylie, living on Plum Island, Massachusetts. She has survived the devastating trauma and treatment of breast cancer, and horror of horrors, it now appears to have returned. You think this is hitting rock bottom and surely Rachel has experienced ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(2.5) Good idea, meh execution. The last third was kind of pointless, didn't care anymore.
megs_bookrack
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

As Rachel heads into Boston for an early morning oncology appointment, she believes her 13-year old daughter, Kiley, is catching the school bus, just like any other day.

Unfortunately, for Rachel, she is very wrong. Prior to making it to her appointment, she gets a chilling phone call that changes everything.

The caller says Kiley has been kidnapped. In order to get her back, Rachel is directed to pay a hefty ransom and she must kidnap another child to take Kiley's place.

A
Peter
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coercion
This book needs a seat belt because it blasts off at some serious speed. The opening chapters are shocking and the principle of The Chain is completely unique and deeply unsettling. Rachel Klein is a divorced single mother, with a 13-year-old daughter, Kylie. She has just been appointed to a new job and hopes that her life can take a step forward, especially with her battle against breast cancer being in remission for a year. Then the ultimate horror is just about to unfold.
“Two thi
Miranda Reads
description

Halloween is just around the corner and it's time for some spooky books - but which ones are worth your time? Check out this BookTube Video for answers!
The Written Review
description

The darkness keeps its own counsel.
Remember those chain emails and letters? Make a copy of the letter, send it to 5 friends or die by midnight?

Yeah, this book is like that...but with children.
'
Rachel drops Kylie (her teenage daughter) at the bus stop on the way to work.

Then, she gets the call.

Detailing that if she does
Kaceey
Whoa! This book will have you laser-focused from the first paragraph...right to the last!

Victim or abuser. Which is actually worse? And what if you had to play the role of both?

Whatever you do...don’t break the chain!

What would you do if your child was taken? What lengths would you go to get your child back? Could you live with your decisions?

Brilliant, addictive, unputdownable! From start to finish I was also at the mercy of those behind the chain. (Ok...the author!) Couldn’t wait to see how t
Dita
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't my favorite.

I have mixed feelings because I tried to love it but hated the way Rachel went from being a meek mom to a pistol-whipping badass in a few chapters.

I guess kidnap will do that.

That said, the concept is brilliant. I mean, BRILLIANT, and the ending was very satisfying.

The breast cancer piece was terribly difficult for me as I have a good friend struggling for her life right now. I acknowledge that this may have affected my experience of this book. I went in knowing cancer wa
Susanne  Strong
3.5 Stars.* (rounded down)

A Highly Entertaining Premise that fell a Tad Short on Execution.

After Rachel drops her teenage daughter Kylie off at the bus stop, she gets a call. Kylie has been kidnapped. The caller states that their child has been kidnapped as well. The only way to get Kylie back is to pay a ransom and kidnap someone else, then the caller’s kid will be released and the chain moves forward. Once the family of the child that Rachel kidnaps take someone, Kylie will be released and so
Joey R.
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.0 stars— I hate to spend a lot of time reviewing this book because I was thoroughly unimpressed. Far fetched and contrived would be the two words that immediately come to mind. I have been very busy and unable to read a lot lately, but I have been wanting to read this one for a while, so I decided to give it a try. The characters and their actions seemed stupid and to say I did not connect to the writing would be an understatement. Do yourself a favor and skip this predictable yawner.
David Putnam
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s only once in a great while when a high concept this good comes along for a book. I admit I was a skeptic at first and poo-pooed the idea, that it wouldn’t work. And when I first started reading I thought I was correct. Then the book grabbed hold and off. I went on a wild ride. By definition this is a thriller that doesn’t slow down long enough to develop the characters. This is pure high adrenaline storytelling and that’s okay. I have read earlier McKinty novels and really enjoyed the prose ...more
BernLuvsBooks
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-reads, 2019
"The Chain is a metaphor for the ties that bind all of us to friends and family. It is the umbilical link between mother and child, the way or path that the hero must travel in a quest, and it is the thin clew of crimson thread that is the solution Ariadne comes up with to the problem of the labyrinth."

It all starts with a phone call from an Unknown Caller. The caller informs Rachel O'Neill's that her daughter, Kylie, has been kidnapped. The caller's child has also been kidnapped by another
Katie B
Entertaining and definitely a page turner but probably not a book you want to analyze to death as it does have some problems along the way. The pacing was excellent but I did prefer the first half over the second. A perfect example of a summer beach read.

I'll admit when I first read the synopsis for this one I thought the whole chain idea was intriguing but I was afraid the story could potentially turn into a hot mess. Basically the concept is a parent receives word their child is kidnapped. In
j e w e l s
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-bejeweled
FOUR STARS

What if you got a call that your child had been kidnapped?

And, in addition to a cash ransom, you are tasked with an unimaginable demand: Kidnap someone else’s child now. Of course, you argue and plead NO NO NO!!! You’re not a child abductor! You can’t do to another parent what has just been done to you. It’s impossible. Okay, then we will immediately kill your child. WAIT. I will do it. Anything. I will.

Congratulations, you’ve just unwittingly joined The Chain. They own you now. It is
Kemper
Fleetwood Mac warned us about this.

Rachel O’Neil has had a rough time after a divorce and surviving a battle with cancer, but things are looking up with being in remission and a new teaching job. The promise of this next phase of her life is instantly shattered when she receives a phone call telling her that her young daughter Kylie has been kidnapped, and that Rachel is now the newest link in The Chain.

Not only does Rachel have to quickly come up with a cash ransom to save Kylie, but she also h
Julie (JuJu)
The Chain. What an elaborate concept...and nightmare! This is the worst version of a chain letter you can possibly imagine...and be a part of!!

This cover caught my attention when I first saw it on NG. Then it was popping up everywhere. It was receiving so much hype and praise, I had to request it.

It’s easy...Follow The Chain and you get your kid back. Pay the ransom. Find another target and kidnap someone. The Chain continues. Each link in The Chain is precious. The Chain has to go on. No police
Amanda
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read an Adrian McKinty book before. Seriously after reading this book I feel like I’ve missed out and will need to catch up on his other boos ASAP!!

Wow this was one addictive read that kept me on the edge of my seat ,desperate to finish it but wanting to saviour every word at the same time.

I have heard about chain letters where you then have to send a copy of the chain letter to numerous people. What if you’re child was kidnapped and the only way to get them back is to kidnap anoth
Dem
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
. You never know how strong you are until someone upsets or threatens your kids but just how far would you go to .........

This is a really unique and suspenseful thriller that really had me intrigued from page one, although I have to be honest and say there were parts of this one that did make me roll my eyes on several occasions but I was able to put that aside as the book overall was a rocking good suspenseful read that I think many will enjoy this summer.

A terrifying scenario, Your c
Erin Clemence
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The Chain” by Adrian McKinty is worthy of the hype it’s getting. A powerhouse of a novel for the Irish-turned-American author, McKinty’s pulse-pounding thrill ride is definitely all it’s cracked up to be.

Rachel is a recently divorced mother, and cancer survivor, raising her young daughter Kylie. One day, while waiting at the bus stop, Kylie is abducted. Panicked and frightened, Rachel receives a call from someone identified only as “The Chain” and giving Rachel detailed instructions; to see K
Sandy
Darn it. I really wanted to read this, swoon & write a glowing review. Alas, it’s not to be. I assumed it would be a sure thing as I’m a HUGE fan of the author’s other books. His Sean Duffy books remain one of my favourite all time series. And maybe that’s the problem.

If i’d received this book with an anonymous cover & been asked to guess the author, McKinty’s name would never have crossed my mind. This is a complete departure from anything else he’s written. The style of writing is so different
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Her phone rings, startling her,

'Unknown Caller,' it says

She answers with the speakerphone: 'Hello?'

'Two things you must remember,' a voice says through some kind of speech-distortion machine. 'Number one: you are not the first and you will certainly not be the last. Number two: remember, its not about the money - it's about The Chain.'

This has to be some sort of prank, one part of her brain is saying. But other deeper, more ancient structures in her cerebellum are beginning to react wi
Larry H
It seemed like any other morning. Rachel's 13-year-old daughter Kylie was waiting at the bus stop while she headed to a doctor's appointment. On the way she received a call from an unknown number. The call told her that Kylie had been kidnapped, and she was now part of The Chain.

Rachel was given explicit instructions. She has to pay a ransom electronically and then kidnap another child as her daughter had been kidnapped. If she follows the instructions to the letter, and the family of the child
Gabby
Closer to a 3.5
Ahhh I have such mixed feelings about this one. It started off so promising and it has one of the best premises ever, but then the ending really dropped the ball and it got incredibly cliche and predictable and meh.

This story is about this mother who gets a phone call saying her daughter has been kidnapped, and the only way to get her back is by paying a ransom fee and kidnapping another child. They tell her she is now part of a chain and if she doesn’t follow through, they will k
Carolyn
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, thriller
The premise of this book is chilling. Your child is kidnapped and to get them back you must kidnap someone else's child and tell his/her parents that they need to kidnap a child to get their own back ... and so the Chain keeps going. Behind the scheme is a sociopathic monster collecting a ransom for each child in the Chain. You might think you couldn't do it but would you let your child die?

The first part of the book makes for compulsive page-turning reading as we watch Rachel, a single mother s
Elyse  Walters
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tidbit thoughts: no spoilers ... of the years popular thriller book.

The chosen people into the dangerous-criminal-club - called ‘The Chain’, were handpicked and vetted.
A quality attribute requirement - to be ‘chosen’, was being a self starter.
The chain leaders picked bright educated victims - people who didn’t need their hand held while carrying out instructions.
This seemed to me to be a double edge sword.
The bright, educated, self-starters - were more likely to figure out ways to break the
Marialyce
This book had a lot going for it. It had a great premise, that of a mother's love or her child, a devious group of people perpetuating kidnapping a child to free your own child, and a somewhat likeable protagonist. However, for me, it fell short on a few levels.

First of all, I had trouble with the writing which seemed, even though interspersed with philosophical sayings, a bit simplistic. In fact, at one point I had to check the book's cover to see if it was tagged as a young adult story.

Along
Lisa
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
You get a call from a stranger saying that they have kidnapped your child, they say you have to kidnap someone elses child for your child to stay alive, WOULD YOU DO IT!!

I found this prose interesting as i asked myself would i do it & the answer is yes without doubt Rachel was written very well loved her character, she did what she had to do to save her daughter Kylie from death but then questions her own morality when she picks out her victim i thought she showed her weaknesses but tgen again s
Zoeytron
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
What would it take to turn you into a monster?

Park any misgivings you may have at the starting gate and buckle in for a thrill ride that will have your heart pounding.  Although the implausibility factor looms large, it did not mar my enjoyment of the novel for an instant.  Could this chain business really happen?  Not a chance in the world.  But so what?  Aren't we reading this type of thriller for an escape of sorts?

(view spoiler)
Ken
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique thriller that taps into every parents worst fear of their child being kidnapped.

The Chain has a simple idea that the latest family to be targeted must pay a ransom and abduct another child as to continue the link.
You'll child will only be released if your victim's parents also follows suite.

That is exactly what happens to Rachel as her 13 year old daughter Kylie was taken by another parent.
The reason why this novel is so addictive is due to the sheer desperation that a parent would go t
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Chain by Adrian McKinty - Restarting October 5th 2020 41 66 Oct 17, 2020 06:09PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add this book cover 2 8 Sep 23, 2020 03:20AM

• The Other Mrs.
  • The Other People
  • His & Hers
  • The Guest List
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Little Secrets
Adrian McKinty is an Irish novelist. He was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, and grew up in Victoria Council Estate, Carrickfergus, County Antrim. He read law at the University of Warwick and politics and philosophy at the University of Oxford. He moved to the United States in the early 1990s, living first in Harlem, New York and from 2001 on, in Denver, Colorado, where he taught high school Eng ...more

Articles featuring this book

Want to read the latest and greatest in the mystery and thriller genre? We dug into our data to find readers' top 20 mysteries published in the...
“A man once told me that all books should end at chapter seventy-seven.” 6 likes
“George Orwell was wrong, she thinks. In the future, it won’t be the state that keeps tabs on everyone by extensive use of surveillance; it will be the people. They’ll do the state’s work for it by constantly uploading their locations, interests, food preferences, restaurant choices, political ideas, and hobbies to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media sites. We are our own secret police.” 5 likes