Start by marking “Rule (The Unraveled Kingdom, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rule (The Unraveled Kingdom, #3)

Rule

(The Unraveled Kingdom #3)

In this epic conclusion to the Unraveled Kingdom trilogy that began with Torn and Fray, the magical seamstress Sophie Balstrade joins forces with her brother the revolutionary leader and her betrothed the Crown Prince in a deadly bid to change history.

The civil war that the charm caster Sophie and the Crown Prince Theodor tried so desperately to avert has come to Galitha.
Published May 19th 2020 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rule

Start your review of Rule (The Unraveled Kingdom, #3)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
I love how the author developed the idea of a girl who takes some menial jobs to make something bigger out of it. Wowser!
Jordan
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
What a beautiful, although rather heartbreaking, ending to a really wonderful trilogy. I'm so sad it's over! I'm really excited to see what Rowenna Miller will write next.

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

I am both satisfied and heartbroken that The Unraveled Kingdoms trilogy is now over, but I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion to wrap up this beautiful and intense story. The previous two books were sent to me courtesy of Orbit, but because of COVID things have gotten a li
Mike Chen
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A perfect conclusion in many ways -- from the characters to the changing world to the exquisite storytelling. Series fans will not be disappointed.
wishforagiraffe
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Landed the ending to the trilogy very nicely, if certainly bittersweet.
Gillian
Michelle Sonnier
I can’t say it was a happy ending, but there is a feeling of contentment to the ending. It fits the series, the characters, and the type of revolutionary war involved. I really appreciated that the book showed what happened in the months immediately following the great climactic battle, showing the hard work of picking up the pieces to make a new whole, rather than just flashing forward a few years to give a quick summary on how everything ended up. I’ll look for more work by this author.
Grace
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series was absorbing from start to finish, and in my opinion the final installment is possibly the strongest book.

This one finally goes on to tackle the consequences unleashed by everyone's choices thus far -- full on Civil War. Kristos, Theodor, and Sophie are all coming into their own as revolutionary, leader, and magician respectively. The conflict doesn't drag on and on for ages, but at the same time I felt like everything important was dealt with in a satisfying, detailed way.

Sophie re
USOM
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Rule is a jaw dropping finale to the Unraveled Kingdom series. This series finale examines the politics of war and magic on the battlefield. When we have to make good on our ideas and promises, to fight for the future for which we have campaigned. Even if we've been trained for battle, for bloodshed, it's an entirely different experience in person. And before we know it, one spark ca
Heidi
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read

This series was interesting because the protagonist wasn't a great mage or warrior, just a seamstress who had no higher ambition that a successful shop and a quiet life. Then her society falls apart around her and all she has to work with is some minor charm magics that aren't anything like the power magics readers are used to in fantasy novels. I enjoyed the writing and found the characters well fleshed out.
David Bonner
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really good ending to a fun series.
Leader of the Pack
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That ending! I still feel like I was kicked in the chest. I really enjoyed this series, and Rule was the best of the three.
Kittin
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
well this ended with a bit of a whimper not a bang. slowed right down, and lost some of the magic for me. not a bad series, but I wouldn't read it again if I had to read this one.
Amber
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sff, read-in-2020
I enjoyed Torn and Fray, and so I'm not sure why Rule really didn't work for me. Well, I have some ideas.

First of all, Torn introduces us to an independent, competent magic-casting seamstress who undergoes a huge personal transformation as she learns new skills and finds her place in a changing society. Fray continues that transformation and further develops and increases our investment in her relationship with Theodor and the outcome of the civil war. In Rule, Sophie becomes a hand-wringing, un
Jean
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am so sad to see this series end!

"Rule" is an epic, satisfying, and realistic conclusion to "The Unraveled Kingdom." Again, Miller's writing and plotting is so tight. Each of these three books really had a different feel and pace, and it all works so well to create this epic story.

"Rule" sees battle scenes and military strategy come into play. It's just enough to really give texture to this war, but we don't get lost in that detail. There is still plenty of character-driven plot to engage on
Alexandra
Rule ended and honestly I wish it could have been better. I debated on giving this between a two and three because there were times I enjoyed the book then at times I was annoyed over the repetitive portions. There is a portion which came off out of nowhere during the last three chapters but it doesn't hurt this book as it weirdly makes some sense.

The series started off with an interesting premise until somewhere maybe in the second novel it became a bit cliché where the characters were still a
Jeff Clausen
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For a book of fiction to rate 5 stars, for me, it should contain plenty of all the things for which we read: characters that I can see clearly in my mind’s eye; settings of interest; emotions that bubble out naturally, not manipulated; a plot that doesn’t confuse yet isn’t predictable; and a flow that doesn’t allow the book to sit on the side table and be passed by- it must be read at all available moments. All of the books in this trilogy we very enjoyable and now that vague sadness sets in, wa ...more
Shale
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jessica Robinson
I was so excited to get my hands on the finale of this series! Though I was satisfied to finish this series I have really enjoyed, I found myself to be disengaged for a fair amount of the book and a little disappointed with the conclusion. Rule felt bogged down with too much of the war campaign and I felt that it lacked much of the magic and creativity I enjoyed so much in the previous books. I did enjoy revisiting with favorite characters and Sophie’s magic does feature strongly throughout the ...more
Trey richardson
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

The writing was great and the story entertaining. The only reason I can’t give this series a 5 is because the magic system was ultimately disappointing. There is nothing wrong with a subtle magic system but honestly it like she was just throwing around light and shadow. She literally kept a roof from collapsing in the last book and discombobulated a guy at the beginning of this one. Those were the only note worthy feats she achieved. The build up and excitement of exploring the magic syst
Lindsay Bragg
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I feel this book lost a lot of the uniqueness that the series had going for it. It was well-told and there was some good character development. But all the unique magic and world elements that made me pick up the first book were missing from this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I wanted/expected either.

Without spoilers, the ending was fitting. Perfect for the story, if (again) not the ending I wanted.
Elaine
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tonya
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but had a difficult time staying focused on this one. It seemed to drag on in places, and I missed the way in which the author discussed magic and its use like she had in the previous books. Honestly, this book was boring in comparison.
Cal
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Ok. Light, fanciful series.
Larisa
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: axis360, nook, to-purchase
I hope Sofie gets a new trilogy after this stunning ending and promising beginning.
Judy - crazee4books
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent ending to the series. Sad that it's over.
Lynne
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Not my favourite in the series, it lost a lot of the romance and magic I really appreciated about its predecessors. The ending was also very dark compared to the tone of the previous books.
A.
Jun 05, 2020
Sam Rice
Aug 15, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Obsidian Tower (Rooks and Ruin, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Valentine
  • The Other People
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Empire City
  • Little Secrets
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Mr. Nobody
  • The Life She Was Given
  • Critical Point (Cas Russell, #3)
  • Bears Behaving Badly (BeWere My Heart, #1)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)

The Unraveled Kingdom (3 books)
  • Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom, #1)
  • Fray (The Unraveled Kingdom, #2)