Start by marking “28 Summers” as Want to Read:
28 Summers

28 Summers

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  57,321 ratings  ·  5,683 reviews
By the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Summer of '69: Their secret love affair has lasted for decades -- but this could be the summer that changes everything.

When Mallory Blessing's son, Link, receives deathbed instructions from his mother to call a number on a slip of paper in her desk drawer, he's not sure what to expect. But he certainly does not expect Jake
Published June 16th 2020 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about 28 Summers, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Linda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  57,321 ratings  ·  5,683 reviews

Start your review of 28 Summers
Melissa
This is for you, Mal. My hardheaded woman.

Captivating and poignant, 28 Summers provides a thought-provoking look at what happens when the hearts desires are given free rein for three glorious days a year. No matter what. A storyline this longtime Elin Hilderbrand fan found to be an emotional powerhouse, stacking up as one of her best yet. I smiled, I cried, I swooned, I dared to hope. My adoration accompanied by one little caveat; this book decimated my heart.

Hilderbrand continues her
BookgirlonGoodreads
Jun 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Unpopular opinion ahead. I did not like this book. I enjoy a good beach read, and I don't expect them to be great literature, but this one fell short for me. Elin Hildebrand has made a name for herself writing books set on Nantucket, typically with a romance, and her latest novel follows this same pattern. I've enjoyed her books in the past, so I was excited to get an ARC for her latest.

She does a great job, as always, of describing summer days and nights, including descriptions of summer meals,
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel sad. Im deeply sad. I am just sitting on the floor, giving blank looks to the walls for at least 40 minutes. I feel like somebody vacuumed the last pieces of my energy. I liked the book and I didnt like how it made me feel.
I always enjoy Hilderbrand books, taking you a marvelous tour around Nantucket: she can sell me house with her photographic, detailed descriptions, help me smell the salt coming from the sea, the hot sand covering my feet, soft breeze brushing my shoulders, make me
Erin
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What will I be talking about during the Summer of 2020? How in her twenty-fifth novel, Elin Hilderbrand once again takes me to Nantucket and leaves me an emotional wreck.

Inspired by the film Same Time, Next Year, 28 Summers tells the tale of Mallory Blessing and Jake McCloud who meet one Labor Day weekend in Nantucket, the chemistry is instantaneous but each person recognizes they are different places in their lives and agree that each year they will reunite in that last week of August. As
Farrah
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
☀☀☀ 4.5 𝙨𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨 ☀☀☀

I don't ever read books of this genre so my review should be taken with a grain of salt - or sand! -since I have nothing to compare 28 Summers to.

I adored Mallory and Jake's secret relationship! It was so touching and uplifting! I found them both somewhat emotionally stunted and I doubt their love could have survived beyond their Labour Day bubble but it was perfect for them.

I enjoyed watching the progression of all the characters over three decades, and
Sheyla ✎

Summer is here when Elin Hilderbrand has a new book out!

28 Summers is a different story and not my favorite one of hers.

Unpopular opinion here-->

SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!

I've some very mixed feelings about Jake McCloud. I got mad at him a lot of times. Why did he marry Ursula DeGournsey? More than half the time they had nothing in common. To me, he married a memory of a girl that at some point was nice.

Jake didn't respect his marriage or Ursula enough to tell her the truth and leave her or
Lacey
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Its like a fairy tale. Its like a game of Would You Rather? Would you rather have perfect bliss for only three days or a solid but dull relationship all year long? Mallory would choose Jake every time.

Okay. WELL. I don't even really know where to start, since 28 Summers left me with so many conflicting thoughts and feelings that I'm having a hard time disentangling and making sense of them all, leaving me at a total loss for words.

But first things first, I guess. Don't let the title of the
Paromjit
This is my introduction to Elin Hilderbrand, an author that I am aware is loved by many and after reading this, an epic love story set mainly in Nantucket that just tugs on your heartstrings, I can understand why. It begins with Mallory Blessing, on her deathbed, asking her precious 19 year old son, Link, to call a phone number on a piece of paper she has kept in her desk drawer. Link has no idea who he is calling, but is so shocked when it is answered by Jake McCloud, the husband of the ...more
Kaceey
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive been aware of works by Elin Hilderbrand for years. I finally had the opportunity to read/listen to her latest and glad I did! I found it easy to lose myself in the lives of her characters.

Youll travel along on the life journey of both Mallory and Jake. Beginning from the time they were teens, all the way through adulthood. 28 summers, to be precise.
Malory, along with her brothers best buddy Jake, embark on a Same Time Next Year affair that may have begun innocently, but gets rather
Larry H
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, okay. So that's what all of the hype is about.

I just read 28 Summers , my first book by the amazingly popular Elin Hilderbrand, and almost immediately fell in love with it. I'm ready to read all of her books now!

Mallory Blessing is about to die from cancer, so she asks her son Link to call the number written on a piece of paper in her desk drawer. He can't believe who answers: Jake McCloud, who may very well become America's first First Gentleman, as his wife, Senator Ursula de Gournsey,
Denise
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I always say that it isn't summer until I've read the newest Elin Hilderbrand release; however, as 2020 is the "summer of COVID" and everything in New England is canceled, I should have taken it as a sign and skipped over this one, as this was my least favorite Hilderbrand book to date.

As soon as I saw a new release coming, I pre-ordered it without even reading the blurb or any reviews - my first mistake. 28 Summers is based on the classic movie "Same Time Next Year" (which the main characters
Susanne  Strong
A Brilliant Saga for All Ages!

Emotional and tear-jerking 28 Summers by Elin Hilderband is a story that is captivating, compelling and all consuming.

The love affair between Mallory Blessing and Jake McCloud begins in 1993, when Mallorys brother, Cooper and his two best friends Fray and Jake visit Mallory in Nantucket on Labor Day weekend. Left to their own devices, romance ensues between Mallory and Jake. It is then that a promise is made ala Same Time Next Year wherein the two make a pact to be
JanB
Oct 22, 2020 marked it as dnf
This was my first book by this author and while it wasnt a bad book, it wasnt all that great for me either. I listened to the audio, and the narrators were great. But when I stopped listening I wasnt anxious to get back to it. Ultimately I just decided to let it go to the DNF file. ...more
Mary DeFusco Cobb
Jun 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Why must we make summer, fun novels political?!! WHY?! Oh did I already ask, WHY??? I hated this book. Im sorry, but every single character was unlikeable. The main character, Mallory, who is this beautiful smart kind amazing inspiring teacher, is someone who ultimately has no back bone and is truly a tragic character in my mind. If you are of the Conservative Republican mindset, avoid this book with all your fiber and being. It will draw comparisons to real people (Supreme Court Justices) who ...more
Bridgett
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
2020
What are we talking about in 2020? Australian fires, potential war with Iran, Harry and Megan, the impeachment trial, Kobe Bryant, Covid-19, Harvey Weinstein, Corona beer, China and Italy, Tom Hanks, Tiger King, hand washing, ventilators, TOILET PAPER, Kim Jong-Un, UFOs, locust swarms, murder hornets, monkeys stealing vials of Covid-19, asteroids, George Floyd, Black Lives Matter, MASKS, statues, Sahara dust clouds...and it's only July.

If you can't get to the beach this summer, bring the
Brandice
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
28 Summers had me torn between wanting to rush through this engaging story and making it last as long as possible. In her 25th novel, the Queen of the beach read has done it again!

In 1993, Mallory inherits a beach cottage on Nantucket and hosts a bachelor party for her brother, Cooper on Labor Day weekend. There she meets his fraternity brother, Jake, changing everything as the two of them instantly hit it off.

Mallory and Jake decide to make Labor Day weekend their thing, every year No matter
Elyse  Walters
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Romantic love is messy in 28 Summers.
.....This was my first experience reading (listening) to a book by Elin Hilderbrand.
I finally got curious because 28 Summers has been the number one best seller on the New York Times list for weeks- maybe months!

Ive only read a few of the 33,000+reviews....
But..
I was wondering if other readers thought The Blazer ( car, not jacket)....
was an underdog rockstar, character? Ha! I kinda did.

The ending was sad
The entire book was kind of sad
Tinichix (nicole)
I am so bummed to be done with this book, but at the same time was racing to finish it to see how it ended. I LOVED this book. I am already rearranging in my head my list of top 10 that I have read so far this year to make room for this one. I did it on audio and the narrator was fantastic! A perfect fit for this story. Admittedly this is my first book by Elin Hilderbrand, and will not be my last. I know I must have been living under a rock. I do feel it will set the bar a little too high off ...more
Nadia
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
I always knew this was going to be good, but didn't dare to hope it would turn out to be a five star read for me.

28 Summers is a story of unfulfilled love between Mallory Blessing and Jake McCloud who meet one summer in the Nantucket island and fall in love. Their romance doesn't last long as Jake has to return to his life in Washington while Mallory stays on the island where she now lives after inheriting a cottage from her aunt. Before they say goodbye, Mallory and Jake promise to each other
Tahseen Faruqi
Jun 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Well I did not like it , mostly because it made no sense . So Jake was the love of Mallorys life and visa versa but they made no attempts to be together . They just wanted to carry on an affair for 3 decades . Jake was pathetic cheating on his wife for 28 years , god just leave her , he really didnt want Mallory either , Cooper was right he was just using her . And shes also super pathetic , settling for 3 days a year ? She was a loser , hello move on .Plus she could have married him initially , ...more
Carol
3.5 Stars.

It's no secret this story doesn't end well (from book summary) and we know the storyline is based on a "Same Time Next Year" movie scenario so perhaps that's why 28 Summers made me feel kind of down. I think not disclosing the ending up front would have worked better (for me) in this one.

As for the characters, I was ticked at Jake bc (view spoiler)

Sandra
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-lit-us
Elin Hilderbrand is another author I have been introduced to by my GR friends!
What a great holiday read, totally engrossing from start to finish. Well plotted and cleverly done .... Hilderbrand skilfully manages to holds your attention across the time span.
Mallory and Jake spend one blissful Labor Day weekend together. When they go back to their lives, they promise each other that every Labour Day weekend will be special and they will spend that time together on Nantucket. This lasts for 28
DeAnn
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 Nantucket Stars

This was the perfect end of summer book to read for me. With a great setting on Nantucket, this romance is the star-crossed tale of Jake and Mallory. They meet up every Labor Day on Nantucket and have a lifelong love affair. Can it count if it's just one weekend a year?

I thought this would be predictable, but there were some surprises and a few tears shed at the end. This was a good escapist read from the realities of life right now.

BernLuvsBooks
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, audiobooks
A forbidden love story that will have you feeling so invested in the characters you almost forget its also a tale of adultery.

I listened to the audio of this amazing book (thank you librofm) and I was smitten with Mallory and Jake. Listening to their love story unfold over one magical long weekend in Nantucket, year after year, for 28 years both broke my heart and filled it up.

Based on the film 𝘚𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘕𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘠𝘦𝘢𝘳 , we are captivated by their love story, despite the fact they can never truly
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: https://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Im happy the dog chased the cat that chased the rat.

So am I Jake! So. Am. I.

I am super late to the Elin Hilderbrand party and am pretty sure this is only the third book of hers that Ive read. I started with the first book in the Paradise series due to its timely release date during a Snowpocalypse when I wanted nothing else but to escape to a place like St. John. Oh wait, immediate edit because this is my fourth book of hers. DUH I
Christina
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2020
I don't have the words for how much I loved this book. This is a book for anyone -- from the totally hopeless sixteen-year-old romantic still waiting to fall in love, to the long-settled middle aged person who has a little bit of the hopeless romantic left in them, to the most cynical reader of any age or gender who normally does not read romances. I seriously dare anyone to be unmoved by this book.

This book is about Mallory and Jake, who meet and almost immediately fall in love, but the
Tiffany
Jun 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book, chick-lit
1 1/2 stars. I recently enjoyed a different book by this author, The Perfect Couple. My high expectations for this book were dashed.

What is good:
The author does a great job describing evocative summer scenes in Nantucket. And it was interesting to read the "What we are talking about this year" segments at the beginning of each chapter. But, that walk down memory lane could have been just as easily satisfied by a quick google search.

What does not work:
The off putting premise (meeting up once a
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW. This is the best book I've read in a LONG time. I'm absolutely blown away.

Mallory's aunt leaves her a cottage in Nantucket when she unexpectedly passes away. At a point in her life where Mallory is able to pick up and relocate, she decides to take advantage of the opportunity and move to Nantucket. Once on the island, she falls in love with the beach, the slower pace of life, and the cottage that brings back many happy memories.

Mallory's brother Cooper is getting married and he wants to
Carrie
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand is a contemporary romance that spans the course of almost three decades. The love runs deep in this couples story however I would warn it may not be for everyone as adultery is at play.

The book begins in the present when Mallory Blessing is on her deathbed with her son Link at her side. Mallory asks Link to call a number on a piece of paper to give them the news of her illness. When Link completes his mothers request he finds the man that pick up is the husband of
Marilyn
Sometimes we all need to read a book like 28 Summers. It might restore the phrase of "falling instantly in love" for some. Erin Hiilderbrand hit it out the park with 28 Summers. It was a fast paced, easy to read,romantic and exciting book. 28 Summers transported me to another place and helped me forget all the things that were going on around me. I was so in awe of Mallory and Jake. Their love was honest, raw and so believable but unfortunately, totally forbidden. For 28 years, Mallory and Jake ...more
One N' Done Book ...: July 2020 BOTM - 28 Summers 1 20 Jun 26, 2020 07:37AM

• Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Sharp Objects
  • All Your Perfects
  • Pretty Girls
  • Me Before You (Me Before You, #1)
  • My Lovely Wife
  • An Absolutely Remarkable Thing (The Carls, #1)
  • This Will Only Hurt a Little
  • The Trouble with Hating You
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Coffee Girl (Coffee Book #1)
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Articles featuring this book

Every December, as we wrap up our annual Goodreads Reading Challenge, we ask our book-loving colleagues a simple yet incredibly tough...
“And the worst thing about being young is not being able to appreciate that you’re young because you aren’t old enough to know any better.” 4 likes
“Just be aware that what you achieve doesn’t matter as much as what kind of person you are,” 1 likes