Start by marking “The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness” as Want to Read:

The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness

Have you ever been super scared of the dark? The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness uses the imagery of darkness and light to help children understand God’s power over evil. With an emphasis on Jesus, the Light of the World, this book reassures children ages 4-8 who struggle with fear and anxiety and offers them courage from God’s Word. Kids will find comfort in the ...more
Published October 27th 2020 by B Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness

Start your review of The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with the artwork! And yes, I am so going to look up for the rest of the work of the artist. This story book is giving me all the graphic novel vibes as well as good animation feels. Yes, the illustrations are quite remarkable!

I love the concept of this story. When children are afraid of the dark, we can reassure them that as much as there's darkness everywhere we can still believe in the light that would fight away our fear of the dark.

I find the writing quite reassuring and relevan
Natalie
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it

The Bright light and the Supee Scary Darkness is a beautifully illustrated and scripted children's book for children who are scared of darkness or the night. The book explains through biblical tales how darkness is really the one afraid of the light and how light is the good things in the world and how if we trust in the light (good) things are much better.
This is a great boo
Sarah Marie
4 stars. This was a sweet children's book and yay for Jewishness in all colors. It's good to see a children's book with so many different shades of the Jewish faith. Review to come. ...more
Jeanie
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, gift
Jesus came to defeat the darkness and bring people true joy. But many people still loved the darkness more than the bright light. And the world grew even darker.

The darkness and the light are contrasting world views and something children may not understand. They do understand that the darkness can be scary place. The unknown. Knowing that the light can overcome the darkness will give children hope and understanding of the mission of Jesus. A mission that we are on as well.

The contrasting illu
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

A book that definitely went a different direction than I thought it would take. Then again, I just picked this book for the cover. 😛 My expectations based on the cover/title was that this would be a story just about a boy who faces the darkness of the night. Instead it is way beyond that and goes further than you would think. It is also about religion, about Jesus, about light and darkness, about the fight between light and dark
Donna Bryce
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having just received this book to read and review it came at the perfect time. Having a 4 year old myself I read to him before bed.

The bright light and super scary darkness tells Gospel story of how the darkness can be scary sin, but our bright light is our faith in Jesus.
This is very adapt for our current situation within this pandemic. The world can be scary and dark but as long as we have faith in Jesus Christ he can be our light.

This book is perfect for young children and easy to understa
KarenK
I received this from Netgalley.com.

"With an emphasis on Jesus, the Light of the World, this book reassures children ages 4-8 who struggle with fear and anxiety and offers them courage from God’s Word."

Wonderful, lovely colorful pictures and age appropriate language showing children to trust in their creator when they are afraid.

Christine
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2021
This little book was the cutest! Its about a boy that is afraid of the dark. This quick book talks about Jesus being the light and shows it in different ways. That it might not feel like it, but the light is shining in the darkness.
This would be a great book for your children's room to read before they go to bed.
Emilee (emileereadsbooks)
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and B&H Kids for a free digital copy for my review.

Telling the story of light and darkness in the Bible, this book tells the story of how God is the light and the darkness is afraid. I really like how the story of creation to redemption was depicted in these pages. And I like the message that trusting Jesus means we don't have to be scared.
Hannah Steger
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for children as it incorporates not only a clear gospel presentation but relates it to concepts that are very relatable for young children. As a future Early Childhood Education and Special Education teacher and a leader in multiple young children’s ministries, I look forward to using this book with my students and other young children. As a college student, I have taken multiple courses relating to the topic of children's books. Part of one course had to do with being able ...more
Josh Olds
Nov 20, 2020 rated it liked it
The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness uses the imagery of darkness and light as a metaphor for the Fall and redemption. The opening panels present to your little ones what we all know: Darkness can be scary, but light dispels the darkness. Dan DeWitt shares with readers how God created the world to be light, but, with the entrance of sin, humankind descended into darkness.

The metaphor of light and dark, good and evil, is presented well in the illustrations by Rea Zhai. When the light is
Panda Incognito
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this picture book, a boy talks about how scary the darkness can be, and then narrates the story of the Bible to show how even though darkness and evil came into God’s good creation, Jesus came to restore the light. Dan DeWitt’s text is simple and engaging, presenting the story in child-friendly terms, and in the illustrations, Rhea Zai emphasizes the themes through different color palettes, contrasting muddy and dark colors on some pages with bright, crisp, and light colors on other pages. Th ...more
Michelle Lovato
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Glow in the dark pages help kids ease fear of the dark

Posted on February 15, 2021 by michellelovatosbookreviews, world's first book color commentator, book reviews with a twist

Author Dan Dewitt tells the story of Jesus, the light of the world in his beautifully illustrated children’s picture book, The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness.
Illustrator Rea Zhui uses glow-in-the-dark ink to help share the message that God’s light always outshines any darkness present in reader’s worlds.
This bea
Anne
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
by Dan DeWitt
Back of the Book: “Have you ever been super scared of the dark? The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness uses the imagery of darkness and light to help children understand God’s power over evil. With an emphasis on Jesus, the Light of the World, this book reassures children ages 4-8 who struggle with fear and anxiety and offers them courage from God’s Word. Kids will find comfort in the book’s reassuring tone and brilliant illustrati
Jordyn Shelor
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is precious! I love that it tackles two big things my little guy needs - 1. addressing his fear of the darkness and 2. tying that to the Bible and giving him hope in Jesus to conquer the darkness so he doesn't have to be afraid. The illustrations are very sweet and do a great job illustrating light vs. dark in a creative way. The sound words like "spurt" throughout the book are wonderful to keep my wild little three year old engaged with the story and also to keep him giggling througho ...more
Karen McG
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Children are scared of the dark and this crazy world is just as scary, but The Bright Light and the Super Scary Darkness is an encouraging book to remind them of the truth. The dark is frightening, but Jesus is the light of the world and God defeats the darkness. A powerful reminder for kids and adults alike. The book recalls Bible stories with illustrations that are colorful and adorable. A great read for those tough nights when the children can’t fall asleep.
I received an advanced copy of thi
Jonas Larkin
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great little book for kids! The author gives a super condensed overview of Scripture through the contrasting themes of light and darkness. Ultimately, the book points young readers to Jesus, the bright Light that overcomes the super scary darkness of sin and death. Overall, it’s an accessible, fun, Jesus-centered book for little ones to enjoy.
Penny
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book! The front cover glows in the dark, which might sound like a gimmick, but they adore it! From Eden to the stable, then to Good Friday and finally to Easter morning, this book simply and clearly explains the gospel message with Jesus as the Light who conquers the dark.
Donna Maguire
I liked the images in this story.

The book was well written and easy to follow and it picked out a few bits from the Bible to show the power of light, over darkness.

It is 4 stars from me for this one - highly recommended!
Reyna
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, kindle-ihi, ng-gitm, rg
This is a lovely and timely book for kids in this darkest and scary world in this time is that we are facing a lot of changes in isolation this can give hope to young hearts my daughter and me enjoy it very much.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Molly
Nov 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a cute book about the power of light to overcome darkness. The Bible references make it appealing to some, not others. Something to be aware of if you’re buying!
Rosalyn Davey
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is not what I was expecting but actually a really lovely way to teach about the birth of Jesus. Will definitely be on the lookout for this book when I’m teaching about advent next year. I think the children will enjoy it and like the images too.
Mark
Stacy
Dec 28, 2020
Rachel Walker
Jan 09, 2021

• There Are Lions in This Book!
  • Kawaii Kitties: Learn How to Draw 75 Cats in All Their Glory
  • Antoni: Let's Do Dinner
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together
  • Mad about Meatloaf (Weenie Featuring Frank and Beans Book #1)
  • The Floating Field: How a Group of Thai Boys Built Their Own Soccer Field
  • Organza Hoop Art: Embroidery Techniques and Projects for Sheer Stitching
  • The Gingerbread House
  • Ways to Make Sunshine (Ryan Hart, #1)
  • Stories Jesus Told: The Story of the Two Builders
  • Night Night, Valentine
  • Extremely Gross Animals: Stinky, Slimy and Strange Animal Adaptations?
  • Scared Silly
  • Dear Grandma
  • Off to See the Sea
  • The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found (The Vanderbeekers, #4)
  • An American Mouse Goes to Italy
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers, #2)
Dan DeWitt (PhD, Southern Seminary) is the founding director of the Center for Biblical Apologetics and Public Christianity at Cedarville University where he teaches courses on worldview, theology, apologetics, and C. S. Lewis. Dan and his wife April live in Cedarville, OH, with their four children: Isaiah, Micah, Josiah, and Addilynn Joy. Dan posts regularly on his blog theolatte.com.

News & Interviews