Start by marking “Dreams” as Want to Read:
Dreams

Dreams

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Roberto is excited about the paper mouse he made in school, until Amy asks, "Does it do anything?" Roberto isn't sure, so he leaves the mouse on his window sill and goes to bed. Before long his apartment building is quiet, but Roberto can't fall asleep. So he gets up to look out the window and sees Archie's cat being chased by a big, snarling dog! Roberto doesn't know what ...more
Published October 9th 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams

Sabeen
Jul 06, 2014 added it
Shelves: bedtime
Great bed time story! i think it can help parents put their child to sleep as children who do not sleep easily can identify with the main character, I think the concept of the paper mouse and its shadow that scared the dog away was very witty and clever.
Scott
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS ONE.
Cassandra Lemieux
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summaries
Summary: A young boy, named Roberto, lays in bed restless. He can't sleep so he walks over to his windowsill where his paper mouse is sitting. He notices when he looks out the window, that Archie's cat is trapped by a dog. Roberto doesn't know what to do and he accidentally knocks over his paper mouse. As the mouse falls down, it's shadow gets bigger and bigger, scaring away the dog. Roberto and the paper mouse end up saving the day!
Grade level: K-4
Subject Area: Science. How shadows get bigger a
Nia King
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Never underestimate a paper mouse. This story shows how when staying up all night, there is no telling what you might see or who you can help! As an educator I can use this book to encourage creative writing. Who would've ever thought a paper mouse would save a cat from a dog! Your imagination is the limit.
Katee
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050
I think this would be a great book for those children that are beginning to read independently. There is not much text on each page, big illustrations, and the story is very easy to follow. I also believe that children will relate to the main character, which is a child. The illustrations do a great job of telling the story along with the words, which would give children a better understanding of what is happening in the story, and aid with their reading comprehension.
Eric
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
this story is about a mouse and a boy. its a great book for 4-8 year olds. and for the little ones its a great bedtime story. the book is pretty long and has words that children will need help in but other then that its a good book. the book is 16 pages long and its colorful but the colors are pretty dark. but the book is really good for children to read.
Stacie
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Simple story about a boy a cat a dog and a mouse.
Roberto can't sleep and has a funny experience from his bedroom window. Set in the city + Simple story line= Classic Ezra Jack Keats
Luisa Knight
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's not a long story. It's simple, unique and puts a little chuckle on your lips.

Ages: 3 - 7
Kelly
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
These illustrations, though. A bedtime story for city kids with big imaginations.
Karen
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
'Dreams,' by Ezra Jack Keats, is a title that would serve as an excellent 'window' to another way of living, or as a 'mirror' for children who live in urban settings. Children would be fascinated by the setting of two children who hang out of their city windows to have a conversation to discuss their day. Not every child lives in those type of buildings.

The main character in the story brings home a paper mouse he made at school and his friend asks 'what can it do?' Roberto, the maker of the mous
iram
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grade/Interest Level – Primary/ Learn to read
Reading Level: 60L Lexile
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Main Characters: Roberto, paper toy mouse
Setting: Urban apartment building window and stoop
POV: Narrator

This story is about a boy named Roberto who can’t seem to fall asleep at bed time. He gets out of bed to see the paper mouse he made at school on the window sill. Outside he sees a cat being cornered by a big angry dog. Roberto doesn’t know what to do and accidently knocks his paper mouse off the wind
Kelsey Vayens
This book is a beautiful book that uses descriptive text and illustrations to tell a simple story about a young boy named Roberto, who after struggling to fall asleep gets distracted by the many interesting things around him. This book can be a perfect tool in teaching and inspiring children to incorporate rich and descriptive text into their writing. Not only are the words rich in meaning, but the illustrations can tell a story on their own as well. I feel that this book can be a perfect end of ...more
Erin
This has been a oft-renewed bedtime story in our house (3 renewals and counting). I think the appeal for my 4 year old is the moment when everyone in the building but Roberto goes to sleep. You can tell who is asleep by the beautiful colors coming from their windows, and as a kiddo who has had his share of bad dreams, I think there's something reassuring to him about the good representation of dreams there.

It also doesn't hurt that the scary-looking monster mouse turns out to be just a paper mou
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides "A Snowy Day", I'd never read any of Ezra's work. The pictures are very detailed and reel you in automatically. I really felt like I was there in some of the pages! This was a good read about how the unlikeliest heroes can step in and save the day. I'd use this to motivate my students not to give themselves the short end of the stick. They all possess amazing qualities that are all their own.
Amanda
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Connection to the Grade 4 Science Curriculum
4.2.12 Predict the location, shape, and size of a shadow based on the position of a light source relative to an object.
As the paper mouse falls the shadow on the wall gets larger and larger.
For each page that depicts the location of the mouse relative to the shadow students could guess and experiment to discover where the light source would have to be.
Torrie Wilson
I first read this book to my Jumpstart kids. It's not one of my favorite Keats books maybe because I do not really understand the purpose or meaning behind the book. I probably would not read this book in my class. One thing that I do like about this book is that his has great vocabulary that can be introduced to children.
Daniel
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I have read many books by the talented Ezra Jack Keats. Dreams is among my favorite books by him. Most of his books take place in an urban setting. I really liked the artwork in Dreams. While everyone is sleeping in his tenement building, Roberto stays awake with his paper mouse. He looks out the window and notices there is trouble. It is a good short story that I do not want to spoil.
Rosa Cline
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
This is a very simple story about a little boy and his neighbor friends. They all go to bed but he can't go to sleep. Then he looks out the window at night and find something that no one else has seen. And his paper mouse he made became special after all... The illustrations were just as special as the story itself.
Cara Byrne
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brief, cute story about how Roberto's paper mouse saves Archie's cat from a big scary dog at night. While it was all a dream, what is present are Keats imaginative collages - with beautiful dusk-like colors. I enjoy this story that brings in Peter's friend Amy, as she and Roberto talk to each other while leaning out of their bedroom windows in the high rise where they live.
Kari
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Roberto, the main character, makes a paper mouse in school. His neighbor, Amy, asks if the mouse can do anything. Roberto has no answer, but during the night, the paper mouse proves to be an unlikely hero. This is a picture book, and the characters (in true Keats style) make the book multicultural. The pictures in the apartment windows are STUNNING!
Kate
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
I didn't love this book. I found the plot a bit confusing for storytime. Admittedly, my reading may have been a bit influenced by the fact that the library copy I read had been torn to shreds. Still, not my favourite.
Angela
This book has so many possibilities. I can make a great story basket and use a flashlight to create shadows. You can use this in a lesson about shadows. Many opportunities for creative writing assignments.
Kindergarten through 4th grade.
Prw41894
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was fun because it is so unrealistic for children in a way that it gives them a strong sense of imagination. It teaches kids to be a hero and to help when others are down, if they have the time!
Beth
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Roberto made a paper mouse at school. All fall asleep and dream except for Roberto. When he leaves his bed, he sees that the dog is bothering the cat until his project mouse falls down. Roberto has a dream while he sleeps longer.
Lauren
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book didn't get me until the page where it shows the apartment building from the outside windows, with one window lit up with crazy marbled paper, the text proclaiming, "And then someone started dreaming."

I now know why there is an Ezra Jack Keats award.

Beautiful.
Meredith
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember having this book read to me as a child, and there was something about it that felt magical.
Robert
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ezra Jack Keats returns us to his favorite neighborhood. This time, Robertos' mouse saves Archies' cats' life!
Taylor Harnish
The best part about this book are the illustrations. AMAZING!
Heila
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, irc
He does something genius and beautiful here with illustrating - extraordinary, the art and painting and color - of dreams. Nice story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cactus Hotel
  • Groundhog Gets a Say
  • Tea Cakes for Tosh
FROM WEBSITE:
Long before multicultural characters and themes were fashionable, Ezra Jack Keats crossed social boundaries by being the first American picture-book maker to give the black child a central place in children’s literature.

In the books that Keats wrote and illustrated, he used his special artistic techniques to portray his subjects in a unique manner. One of these was his blending of gou
More about Ezra Jack Keats...