Start by marking “The Midnight Library” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  116,985 ratings  ·  17,659 reviews
Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?”

A dazzling novel about all the choices that go into a life wel
Published September 29th 2020 by Viking (first published August 13th 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Library, please sign up.
Charlene Hardin I think it depends on the teen, but generally, I would say it is. Teens may, or may not, fully grasp the weight of regrets felt around the mid-way poi…moreI think it depends on the teen, but generally, I would say it is. Teens may, or may not, fully grasp the weight of regrets felt around the mid-way point in life. Even so, the book offers decent insight into how we become the choices we make and the stories we tell ourselves. I may pass this along to my daughter when I'm done with it.(less)
Cristian Costa Nora is 35, it says so at some point in the book.

·  116,985 ratings  ·  17,659 reviews

Start your review of The Midnight Library
_ngallagher
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a way to end this year of reading! 💘
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay! No more words! This is one of the best sci-fi dances with fantasy which carries additional philosophic vibes novel of the year! I LOVED IT! ( this is not kind of toasting for the book and raising your glass kind of loving it. This is more like climbing at the top of the roof and declaring your love by shouting and howling to the moon kind of love. If you read the song lyrics of “ Howl” at the book you may probably understand why I feel so enthusiastic and why I’m writing a high volume revi ...more
Paromjit
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no secret that Matt Haig has mental health issues, dogged by the darkness of depression that has taken its toll on his life. His acute observations and experience of his condition informs this exquisite, inspiring, compassionate and empathetic novel where he creates the concept of the midnight library, to be found in the spaces between life and death, to explore life, the issues that afflict our world, through philosophy and more, endeavouring to tease out what might make life worth living ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5?) After loving The Humans, I was very excited for this new release and I wasn't let down!

The main character is full of regrets after attempting suicide and ends up in a library where she gets to try all the other lives she could have lived.

This books was heartbreaking and unputdownable. My main regret is starting it late at night because I had to wait until the next day to finish it!

The writing was beautiful and hit almost too close for comfort. I can't recommend it enough!

(view spoiler)
Gabby
“The only way to learn is to live”
Fuck, this book hit me so hard. I finished this book a few days ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It has one of my favorite themes or tropes in a book, where we follow a main character who at the beginning of the story is very depressed and possible suicidal and doesn't see the point of life, but then slowly throughout the story begins to build an admiration toward humanity and life. This book was so beautifully written and I love the way th
emma
Okay. Picture this: you are about to bite into a cookie. A big, warm cookie. Kinda crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, yummy and chocolate chip-y and presumably made with brown butter and flaky sea salt, as all the best cookies are.

And then you take a big ol' chomp, and...oh no.

Not a chocolate chip at all.

This cookie is filled with...RAISINS.

Have you immersed yourself in that experience? Really felt the high expectations and the all-consuming disappointment?

Good.

Because that was my expe
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
Magical

“Let’s be kind to the people in our own existence.”

The Midnight Library is a book about choices, regrets, and embracing life.

Nora Seed is having a really bad day. She is mugged, loses her job, blamed for other’s people’s failures, and her cat is run over by a car. She is also seriously depressed. This day is one of many bad days that Nora has experienced over the last decade of her life. She can’t take life anymore and attempts suicide.

Nora wakes up to discover that she is in the space
Emily B
This was cute and the concept was great but unfortunately it really lacked some depth for me!
David Putnam
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a quaint little book. A quick read that I enjoyed. It is another form of the Groundhog Day plots that I have read this year. The library in this book is an infinite number of lives not taken. The opening is a little depressing, but it has to be to establish the motivation for the rest of the story. Even so there is a continued darkness in the tone. With each life to which the character ventures she only has to not like it in order to move on to the next. She is in constant search of that ...more
Jayme
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Unpopular opinion!

In between life and death is a library, The Midnight Library. With books curated just for you..

You will start with “The book of Regrets” your regrets, which could be “not telling your father you loved him before he died”, not marrying a certain sweetheart or not following a dream.

Select another volume and see how a different choice may have played out.

Discover that an alternate choices may not have necessarily led to a different outcome.

This is a MAGICAL premise!

But, I must
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
My mind is blown; my soul is lit and I just came to realise I can get addicted to sci-fi.

"She realised, in that moment, that she was capable of a lot more than she had known."

(In one of her many lives)

"I think you might have lost your way a little bit."

"Isn't that why I came to the Midnight Library in the first place? Because I had lost my way?"

"Well, yes. But now you are lost within your lostness."

This story is so fascinating and one of the most amazing stories that look into life, dissect i
jessica
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
'if you aim to be something you are not, you will always fail. aim to be you... the truest version of you.'

quietly profound and deeply meaningful.

very 'the five people you meet in heaven' with a magical, bookish feel. perfect for anyone who had ever wondered if their life is enough.

4 stars
Danielle
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s incredibly rare that I come across a book that ticks all my boxes. Good characters. Great setting. Wonderful story. This book really lived up to the hype! 🤗 Nora Seed has regrets. In a moment of absolute darkness she decides she’s done with life. Trigger warning: suicide attempt. 😬 She’s pushed into The Midnight Library, where her school librarian greets her and explains the books of regret. Nora opens a book and lives a life had she done things differently. Book after book, life after life ...more
JanB

Sylvia Plath ‘Between life and death there is a library,’ she said. ‘And within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?’

Nora is going through a terrible period in her life, where everything that could possibly go wrong, does. She’s consumed with regret over the paths not
Nicole
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, audiobooks, fantasy
Everybody probably knows the premise of this book: a library with an infinite number of books. The books of regret. You open one and it transfers you to the life where you didn’t make that particular regret. Was it marrying someone or traveling or maybe other little things.

While I admit I don’t actively pursue parallel universes kind of books on one hand, and on the other, the main reason why I read this book is that I was choosing the best fiction this year (to vote in the GR awards), I was act

Nataliya
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
I liked this book until it suddenly decided to moonlight as a self-help manual, replete with messages that would look great and profound on an Instagram post next to a well-posed cup of coffee with those foam pictures on top. Or embroidered on a pillow — pick your poison.
“She realised that she hadn’t tried to end her life because she was miserable, but because she had managed to convince herself that there was no way out of her misery.”

And these messages have the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
Miranda Reads
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grcoicefinal
So, first of all, HUGE thank you to goodreads for featuring my kindle highlights and notes for this book - wow.

I never would've expected such an amazing opportunity to share my love for this book NOR would I have expected to "meet" so many wonderful people through the comments.

It's been so much fun and I'm definitely doing more highlights/notes soon!!

The Written Review

Life has just gotten to the point where it's overwhelming and all-encompassing and above all, Nora can't see a possible sit
Marzuqa
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“You don’t have to understand life. You just have to live it.”
This is a book everyone needs in their lives. No matter what stage in life we’re all at, I feel like everyone can relate to the message of this book. I went into this expecting to read about a girl who somehow gets a chance to live multiple lives in several parallel universes. What I got was a lot more than that. I did not expect to be reflecting on some major life lessons and just basically on the way I look at life. None of us have
Jenny Lawson
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this before it came out but I was in a bad place mentally and it would have been dangerous to read. I'm better now, in a different life as it were, and it was exactly what I needed to read. ...more
Kevin Kuhn
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable book, it’s my first by Matt Haig, but it won’t be my last. It’s a book about recognizing all the possibilities of your life, but it’s more about letting go the regrets of what you could have been. Nora Seed is miserable, miserable enough to be not only thinking about suicide, but acting on it. Instead of the blackness of death, she awakes in the Midnight Library accompanied by her Elementary School librarian, Mrs. Elm. Mrs. Elm explains that the library is filled with books ...more
Virginie
In The Midnight Library, Matt Haig combines subjects I love in books: life and death concerns, regrets, love, complicated relationships, family... and, of course, there's a library!

I really like how Haig achieves to write what I consider being self-help books with magic and a good storyline. If you liked The Midnight Library, you should definitely take a look at How to Stop Time.

The premise of The Midnight Library wasn't new to me. A couple years ago, there was a canadian tv show called Being Er
Swaroop Kanti
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between life and death there is a library.

And within that library, the shelves go on for ever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived.

To see how things would be different if you have made other choices."

In one word - fascinating!

"You see, doing one thing differently is very often the same as doing everything differently. Actions can`t be reversed within a lifetime, however much we try..."

I cannot help but compare The Midnight Library with another book Maybe
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Regular Review)
A sojourn of a human to the multiverses through a library, which is as normal as this bizarre world without an exit to trap us there. Nora Seed might seed our mind with melancholy and heart with love in her quest for perfection. Can perfection be attained through the careful movement of the pawns in this deliberate game of life? Through the underlying current of sadness, this literature transcends us to a library between the universes with a librarian who is a mental metaphor th
Larry H
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Matt Haig's newest novel, The Midnight Library , was absolutely beautiful.

“...sometimes the only way to learn is to live.”

Nora has decided she wants to die. She’s just so unhappy and doesn’t feel like she or her life matter to anyone. She's disappointed everyone in her life, and she doesn’t think her death will have an impact.

She finds herself in The Midnight Library, which is filled with books that each contains a life Nora could have lived had she made a different choice or picked a di
Jenna
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Sweet Dreams Good Night GIF - SweetDreams GoodNight Sloth GIFs
Boring!

This sort of contemporary fiction is not something I normally read or like, so don't rely on my opinion for this book. I thought that with the slight (slighter than I thought) fantasy bent I might enjoy it.

Obviously I did not.
Karen
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nora Seed is a young woman who is suffering from depression.
Her job at a music store has ended,, her cat died. her personal relationships with family are not the best.. and she tries to end her life.
Well, instead of her life ending.. she ends up in The Midnight Library where she chooses books that take her to different lives, parallel lives she may have lived...in these lives she is many different things.. there is a Nora who became a rock star, another who has won Olympic medals, another living
Brandice
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nora Seed’s life, at least by her own account, is bleak, dismal. She feels it’s not worth living anymore. She goes to bed after drinking wine and swallowing pills one night, and finds herself in The Midnight Library, a place in between life and death. Here, Nora gets to answer the famous “What if?” and experiences numerous other paths for her life — Are they better? Is she happier? More fulfilled?

I liked The Midnight Library — I wasn’t quite as enamored with it or blown away as I thought I migh
PorshaJo
Loved it! I can't give it anything less than 5 stars. I'm quite stingy too with the 5 stars and one of the key factors for me is would I read this book again? Totally! I went into it a little blind and was rewarded with such a wonderful, thought provoking book.

The Midnight Library tells the story of Nora Seed. She appears to be at a cross roads in her life. Her cat has just died, she lost her job, and just doesn't have anyone in her life, no family. She has given up and begins the countdown to h
amy ☂︎
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, favs
the therapy session i desperately needed right now. matt haig??? sir???? THANK YOU! bitch i am HEALED!!!
L A
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Canongate and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

What if you could change the past? Take all those nasty regrets and make a different choice? Nora, the main character of this novel is given that chance to remake some of her past decisions.

I really like Matt Haig. He seems like an all round top bloke. Up till now I hadn't read any of his books but I'd heard about this one some months ago and the premise sounded intriguing.

I felt like this book read l

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • No Better Friend: One Man, One Dog, and Their Extraordinary Story of Courage and Survival in WWII
  • The Invisible Women's Society
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up: The Funniest WTF AM I DOING?! Novel of the Year
  • We Need To Talk About The British Empire
  • The Moment That Changed Everything
  • The Best Man Plan (Boots and Bouquets, #1)
  • The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • Blood Territory The Death of Jimmy O'Connell
  • Crush It Like Cleopatra
  • Things I Learned from Falling
  • Betsey: A Memoir
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • A Room Called Earth
  • Simmer Down
  • Think Like a Spy
  • To the Woman
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more