Start by marking “The Midnight Library” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  285,893 ratings  ·  39,924 reviews
Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?”

A dazzling novel about all the choices that go into a life wel
Published September 29th 2020 by Viking (first published August 13th 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Library, please sign up.
Charlene Hardin I think it depends on the teen, but generally, I would say it is. Teens may, or may not, fully grasp the weight of regrets felt around the mid-way poi…moreI think it depends on the teen, but generally, I would say it is. Teens may, or may not, fully grasp the weight of regrets felt around the mid-way point in life. Even so, the book offers decent insight into how we become the choices we make and the stories we tell ourselves. I may pass this along to my daughter when I'm done with it.(less)
Neil Yeah I think she mentions it a few times in the first couple of chapters. When she's talking to her boss at the music store. 35 years old. …moreYeah I think she mentions it a few times in the first couple of chapters. When she's talking to her boss at the music store. 35 years old. (less)

·  285,893 ratings  ·  39,924 reviews

Start your review of The Midnight Library
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay! No more words! This is one of the best sci-fi dances with fantasy which carries additional philosophic vibes novel of the year! I LOVED IT! ( this is not kind of toasting for the book and raising your glass kind of loving it. This is more like climbing at the top of the roof and declaring your love by shouting and howling to the moon kind of love. If you read the song lyrics of “ Howl” at the book you may probably understand why I feel so enthusiastic and why I’m writing a high volume revi ...more
Paromjit
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is no secret that Matt Haig has mental health issues, dogged by the darkness of depression that has taken its toll on his life. His acute observations and experience of his condition informs this exquisite, inspiring, compassionate and empathetic novel where he creates the concept of the midnight library, to be found in the spaces between life and death, to explore life, the issues that afflict our world, through philosophy and more, endeavouring to tease out what might make life worth living ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(4.5?) After loving The Humans, I was very excited for this new release and I wasn't let down!

The main character is full of regrets after attempting suicide and ends up in a library where she gets to try all the other lives she could have lived.

This books was heartbreaking and unputdownable. My main regret is starting it late at night because I had to wait until the next day to finish it!

The writing was beautiful and hit almost too close for comfort. I can't recommend it enough!

(view spoiler)
Emily B
This was cute and the concept was great but unfortunately it really lacked some depth for me!
_ngallagher
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a way to end this year of reading! 💘
emma
Okay. Picture this: you are about to bite into a cookie. A big, warm cookie. Kinda crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, yummy and chocolate chip-y and presumably made with brown butter and flaky sea salt, as all the best cookies are.

And then you take a big ol' chomp, and...oh no.

Not a chocolate chip at all.

This cookie is filled with...RAISINS.

Have you immersed yourself in that experience? Really felt the high expectations and the all-consuming disappointment?

Good.

Because that was my expe
Miranda Reads
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, first of all, HUGE thank you to goodreads for featuring my kindle highlights and notes for this book - wow.

I never would've expected such an amazing opportunity to share my love for this book NOR would I have expected to "meet" so many wonderful people through the comments.

It's been so much fun and I'm definitely doing more highlights/notes soon!!

The Written Review
description
Life has just gotten to the point where it's overwhelming and all-encompassing and above all, Nora can't see a possible
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
My mind is blown; my soul is lit and I just came to realise I can get addicted to sci-fi.

"She realised, in that moment, that she was capable of a lot more than she had known."

(In one of her many lives)

"I think you might have lost your way a little bit."

"Isn't that why I came to the Midnight Library in the first place? Because I had lost my way?"

"Well, yes. But now you are lost within your lostness."

This story is so fascinating and one of the most amazing stories that look into life, dissect i
Ruby Granger
Feb 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
okay WOW. This was amazing.

I must say that I was kind of skeptical? going into this because the idea is SO good that I didn't know if the writing would be able to live up to it (which can sometimes happen)... but alas, no! Haig's prose is fast-paced and easy to read, but also believable and deeply philosophical. There is just so much to learn from this book. I mean, you COULD read a self-help book on stoicism, or you could just read this :)
Gabby
“The only way to learn is to live”
Fuck, this book hit me so hard. I finished this book a few days ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It has one of my favorite themes or tropes in a book, where we follow a main character who at the beginning of the story is very depressed and possible suicidal and doesn't see the point of life, but then slowly throughout the story begins to build an admiration toward humanity and life. This book was so beautifully written and I love the way th
Nataliya
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-reads
I liked this book until it suddenly decided to moonlight as a self-help manual, replete with messages that would look great and profound on an Instagram post next to a well-posed cup of coffee with those foam pictures on top. Or embroidered on a pillow — pick your poison.
“She realised that she hadn’t tried to end her life because she was miserable, but because she had managed to convince herself that there was no way out of her misery.”

And these messages have the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
Jayme
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Unpopular opinion!

In between life and death is a library, The Midnight Library. With books curated just for you..

You will start with “The book of Regrets” your regrets, which could be “not telling your father you loved him before he died”, not marrying a certain sweetheart or not following a dream.

Select another volume and see how a different choice may have played out.

Discover that an alternate choices may not have necessarily led to a different outcome.

This is a MAGICAL premise!

But, I must
David Putnam
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a quaint little book. A quick read that I enjoyed. It is another form of the Groundhog Day plots that I have read this year. The library in this book is an infinite number of lives not taken. The opening is a little depressing, but it has to be to establish the motivation for the rest of the story. Even so there is a continued darkness in the tone. With each life to which the character ventures she only has to not like it in order to move on to the next. She is in constant search of that ...more
Danielle
2021 F.A.B. Bookclub pick # I.❤️. F.A.B.

It’s incredibly rare that I come across a book that ticks all my boxes. Good characters. Great setting. Wonderful story. This book really lived up to the hype! 🤗 Nora Seed has regrets. In a moment of absolute darkness she decides she’s done with life. Trigger warning: suicide attempt. 😬 She’s pushed into The Midnight Library, where her school librarian greets her and explains the books of regret. Nora opens a book and lives a life had she done things diff
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
Magical

“Let’s be kind to the people in our own existence.”

The Midnight Library is a book about choices, regrets, and embracing life.

Nora Seed is having a really bad day. She is mugged, loses her job, blamed for other’s people’s failures, and her cat is run over by a car. She is also seriously depressed. This day is one of many bad days that Nora has experienced over the last decade of her life. She can’t take life anymore and attempts suicide.

Nora wakes up to discover that she is in the space
Nicole
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Everybody probably knows the premise of this book: a library with an infinite number of books. The books of regret. You open one and it transfers you to the life where you didn’t make that particular regret. Was it marrying someone or traveling or maybe other little things.

While I admit I don’t actively pursue parallel universes kind of books on one hand, and on the other, the main reason why I read this book is that I was choosing the best fiction this year (to vote in the GR awards), I was act

jessica
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
'if you aim to be something you are not, you will always fail. aim to be you... the truest version of you.'

quietly profound and deeply meaningful.

very 'the five people you meet in heaven' with a magical, bookish feel. perfect for anyone who had ever wondered if their life is enough.

4 stars
JanB

Sylvia Plath ‘Between life and death there is a library,’ she said. ‘And within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?’

Nora is going through a terrible period in her life, where everything that could possibly go wrong, does. She’s consumed with regret over the paths not
Jenny Lawson
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this before it came out but I was in a bad place mentally and it would have been dangerous to read. I'm better now, in a different life as it were, and it was exactly what I needed to read. ...more
Matthew
This is the ultimate “what if I had done it differently?” story. I guarantee it will make you think and might give you some new perspective on life. Also, while it starts a bit dark, I think people who are looking for a way out of a dark place might find this story uplifting overall.

I have been sitting here thinking about how to review this book and I don’t want to say too much about it because after 10 pages or so, everything little thing would be a spoiler! That, in itself, should probably piq
Marzuqa
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“You don’t have to understand life. You just have to live it.”
This is a book everyone needs in their lives. No matter what stage in life we’re all at, I feel like everyone can relate to the message of this book. I went into this expecting to read about a girl who somehow gets a chance to live multiple lives in several parallel universes. What I got was a lot more than that. I did not expect to be reflecting on some major life lessons and just basically on the way I look at life. None of us have
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Dec 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Throwback Review) A sojourn of a human to the multiverses through a library, which is as normal as this bizarre world without an exit to trap us there. Nora Seed might seed our mind with melancholy and heart with love in her quest for perfection. Can perfection be attained through the careful movement of the pawns in this deliberate game of life? Through the underlying current of sadness, this literature transcends us to a library between the universes with a librarian who is a mental metaphor ...more
Kevin Kuhn
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable book, it’s my first by Matt Haig, but it won’t be my last. It’s a book about recognizing all the possibilities of your life, but it’s more about letting go the regrets of what you could have been. Nora Seed is miserable, miserable enough to be not only thinking about suicide, but acting on it. Instead of the blackness of death, she awakes in the Midnight Library accompanied by her Elementary School librarian, Mrs. Elm. Mrs. Elm explains that the library is filled with books ...more
Virginie
In The Midnight Library, Matt Haig combines subjects I love in books: life and death concerns, regrets, love, complicated relationships, family... and, of course, there's a library!

I really like how Haig achieves to write what I consider being self-help books with magic and a good storyline. If you liked The Midnight Library, you should definitely take a look at How to Stop Time.

The premise of The Midnight Library wasn't new to me. A couple years ago, there was a canadian tv show called Being Er
Jenna
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Sweet Dreams Good Night GIF - SweetDreams GoodNight Sloth GIFs
Boring!

This sort of contemporary fiction is not something I normally read or like, so don't rely on my opinion for this book. I thought that with the slight (slighter than I thought) fantasy bent I might enjoy it.

Obviously I did not.
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book, but I feel like I probably should have loved it. And I was, up until the ending, which fell a little flat for me. It just felt...undone, I suppose. But that's also why other readers might really appreciate this ending, and understandably.

But anyway.

This book was very A Christmas Carol/Groundhog Day/The Family Man-esque. All of which I love - especially The Family Man, which is a 2000 movie featuring Nicolas Cage...

TANGENT: I don't know if I've ever mentioned this
Swaroop
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between life and death there is a library.

And within that library, the shelves go on for ever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived.

To see how things would be different if you have made other choices."

In one word - fascinating!

"You see, doing one thing differently is very often the same as doing everything differently. Actions can`t be reversed within a lifetime, however much we try..."

I cannot help but compare The Midnight Library with another book Maybe
Larry H
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Matt Haig's newest novel, The Midnight Library , was absolutely beautiful.

“...sometimes the only way to learn is to live.”

Nora has decided she wants to die. She’s just so unhappy and doesn’t feel like she or her life matter to anyone. She's disappointed everyone in her life, and she doesn’t think her death will have an impact.

She finds herself in The Midnight Library, which is filled with books that each contains a life Nora could have lived had she made a different choice or picked a di
Michael David
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Mrs. Elm smiled. “I could read you a poem. Librarians like poems.” And the she quoted Robert Frost. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - / I took the only less travelled by, / And that has made all the difference...””

Nora Seed is at a loss. She’s recently single, gets fired from her job, isn’t close to her brother...the list goes on and on. She’s mentally and physically exhausted with life, and decides to kill herself...

...Yet she wakes up in The Midnight Library, a place between life and dea
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This wasn't quite as remarkable as I'd hoped it would be, tbh.

TW: suicide, death of an animal, death of a loved one, depression, terminal illness
Ultimate Popsugar...: * April Group Read Discussion: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig 36 199 2 hours, 11 min ago
Skokie Public Lib...: About The Midnight Library 3 10 Apr 12, 2021 07:19AM
Read With Me!: The Midnight Library 2 6 Apr 08, 2021 08:24PM

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • No Better Friend: One Man, One Dog, and Their Extraordinary Story of Courage and Survival in WWII
  • The Invisible Women's Society
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up: The Funniest WTF AM I DOING?! Novel of the Year
  • We Need To Talk About The British Empire
  • The Moment That Changed Everything
  • The Best Man Plan (Boots and Bouquets, #1)
  • The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
  • Blood Territory The Death of Jimmy O'Connell
  • Crush It Like Cleopatra
  • Things I Learned from Falling
  • Betsey: A Memoir
  • Call Down the Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • A Room Called Earth
  • Simmer Down
  • Think Like a Spy
  • To the Woman
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more