Start by marking “Among the Beasts & Briars” as Want to Read:
Among the Beasts & Briars

Among the Beasts & Briars

Cerys is safe in the kingdom of Aloriya.

Here there are no droughts, disease, or famine, and peace is everlasting. It has been this way for hundreds of years, since the first king made a bargain with the Lady who ruled the forest that borders the kingdom. But as Aloriya prospered, the woods grew dark, cursed, and forbidden. Cerys knows this all too well: when she was young,
Published October 20th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Among the Beasts & Briars, please sign up.
Jaime There's a little bit of language and some violence and blood, but that's it.

Start your review of Among the Beasts & Briars
Ashley Poston
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Far-off places, daring sword fights, magic spells, a prince in disguise!
jessica
theres nothing inherently wrong with this book, so i feel super guilty about only giving this 3 stars. but i just wasnt connecting with the story as much as i wanted to.

this has a very classic fairytale vibe. theres a little bit of magic, faraway kingdoms, spooky woods and some adventure. and i think because this story is very reminiscent of childhood tales, it felt just a wee bit too juvenile for me. again, this isnt a fault of the books, i was just in the mood for a fantasy story that is a li
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

“You trekked among the beasts and briars, and the deep heart led you all the way to Voryn … [The deep heart is] what we call that feeling inside you, the part that leads you, draws you forward – toward some great purpose.”

If Uprooted and The Bone Houses had a love child, it would be Among the Beasts & Briars. And considering that those two books are some of my favourites OF ALL TIME, that’s high praise indeed.
sarah xoxo
"It was said that the first king of Aloriya was born with fire in his blood"

Among the Beasts and Briars feels like a soft fairytale complete with talking animals, magical forests and lost princes. I would recommend this for someone looking for a light fantasy that almost feels like a bedtime story. For more seasoned fantasy readers, or those who prefer extensive world building and magic systems- perhaps pass on this one.

I definitely had to suspend my disbelief at some times and simply let the s
Candace Robinson
Heart of Iron is one of my favorites by Poston, so I was super stoked when I saw she was writing a straight up fantasy book! Her imagination was so on point with this one that I wanted to scream my joy!

I loved Cerys AKA Daisy. You'll know why she has the nickname when you read it! So adorable! Then there was Fox, my sly and scared yet brave little fox! I loved him so incredibly much, and I also thought the connection between him and Daisy was perfect. My one pitfall, which I have with every Post
Miranda Reads
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

OH MY GOSH. IT WAS AMAZING.

Click the link if you want to see the OwlCrate Unboxing Video & Review - and seriously. This book was ah-maz-ing. ALLLLLL the stars.
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars rounded up?

[ BUDDY READ with my OTP BR bestie, DARCE! ]

Okay friends, TO THE REVIEW WE GOOOO!

OKAY; WTF WAS THAT ENDING?!? HOW COULD POSTON DO THIS TO US?! PLEASE tell me we'll get MOREEEEEEEE! Literally there is SO MUCH WORLD to explore! So many characters to elaborate on! So many opportunities for stories!

Anyway, regardless of all that... I loved this lush, vivid, whimsical, yet dark, fairytale SOVERYMUCH.

My goodness... SO much here to love! I loved the slow burn romanc
Charlotte May
When nan asks what books I’d like for Christmas and I give her a list to choose from so I’ll be surprised but then she goes and sends me a text to say which book she has gotten me 😂
Darce
Buddy read with my OTP buddy reading babe, Ashley!

4 CAPTIVATING STARS!

Ahhh this was amazing! I loved literally every aspect of this story, from the characters to the world-building to the romance. Ashley Poston’s writing was superb and I can’t wait to read more by her, if her other books are anything like this one then I’m in for a treat!

Our story begins on coronation day for the new queen of this little town. The queen – who also happens to be the best friend of the protagonist – is set to inhe
megs_bookrack
My first look at this spectacular cover:

Granted, I will pick up anything written by Ashley Poston.

This ridiculously beautiful cover is just the icing on the cake!!
Ashley Poston
Hi everyone! Happy reading! I love this book so incredibly much, and I hope that you do, too. I wrote this story because I wanted to remember what it felt like to have a happily ever after--a story with danger and romance and magic spells and princes in disguise, and all the while you knew there would be a satisfying ending. I hope I managed, at least a little bit.

Into the woods you go, my friends.

Content Warnings: Frightening Situations, Secondary Character Death, Trypophobia, Bleeding/Self-Har
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
'It is said that the first king of Aloriya was born with fire in his blood.'

description

Oh, what a marvelous breath of fresh, original fairy tale air! This was dazzling in a quiet, classic way. It's not for those seeking something sharp, breathless, or twisted. This is merely a fairy tale and it claims no other title. It's simple and quaint and, y'all, I think we need more books like this in the midst of our high-octane, convoluted tales as well.

'The gardens were small, but what they lacked in space
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Thank you so much to Edelweiss and the publisher for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Check out this review (and more) over on my blog!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: Among the Beasts and Briars was exactly what I needed. Get swept away in this original fairytale full of fantastic characters and terrifying woods.

// Content Warning: Violenc
Nicci
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cursed forests, rare magically-inclined heroines, male love interests in strange situations... I think I have a type.

Another fast and easy read! I sped through this because I just couldn't put it down. One of my favorite standalone reads this year!
✩ Yaz ✩
4 - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

"He was a fox, and I was a gardener's daughter, and there were no stories for enchantments such as us."

Once upon a time, in a Kingdom known as Aloriya, a young king braved the woods to protect his kingdom from the monsters lurking in it. He reached Voryn, a magical city deep in the woods where he met Lady of the Wilds. For his courage, The Lady gifted him a magical crown that will protect his kingdom from any dangers and ever since the Royal Family have had a gift of magic and the Ki
Alaina
Among the Beasts & Briars was actually pretty interesting and entertaining. In it, you will meet Cerys who is the daughter of the royal gardener. As a kid, she and a couple of her friends would go on daring adventures throughout the wild forest.. but one day she and the Princess made it home.

After some complications, Cerys sets out on another adventure to recover the kingdom of Voyrn which is know lost within the forest. Along the way, she meets a fox and bear. Both were hilarious and had some s
Emma
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arcs
In a time where it can be so hard to escape from the news, Among the Beasts & Briars swept me away to Aloriya -- where Cerys can grow plants with just a drop of her blood and a pesky fox who loves to steal scraps from the baker can be good friends with a gardener's daughter.

It's rare for me to read a book that's this immersive; every time I put it down, I felt a little bit dazed as I remembered that I had ordinary things to do like coursework and dishes. The writing was so beautiful and descrip
Kelly
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty entertaining and I really enjoyed it even though the author scared me right at the end... I loved all the little twists in this book as they kept me engaged and interested by what happened to these characters. The fact that there was a fox and a bear as friends in this book was an added bonus. I also loved the lgbt rep here and there.

In this story, you follow Cerys the daughter of the royal gardener when after the death of the late King, his daughter and Cerys' best friend
Kaya
Jan 23, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT I WANT IT.
Steff Pasciuti
| Review on Reader Fox Blog |

I swear, it's as though every single time I read a new Ashley Poston novel, I fall more and more in love. And the funny thing is that the books she writes always have some sort of element to them that would typically make me steer clear away from it. But somehow they just keep getting better and better. I said it with Bookish and the Beast some months ago and I'm saying it with Among the Beasts & Briars now. This is Poston's best book to date. In fact, something
Mila
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

This fantasy book has an old curse, dark scary woods, magic, monsters, a forgotten city, a loyal fox, and a well-written romance. All of it makes for a compelling and exciting story which its only vice being some pacing issues.
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Just look at that lovely fox on the cover;3
I NEED more fairytales in my life.
Stacey-Lea
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

Among the Beasts and Briars is a call back to the classic fairytales of yesteryear. The plot is simple, town has a king, king has a magical crown that protects the town from the cursed wood, all is not as it seems, everything goes wrong, brave simple girl goes on a quest to save her loved ones and her village.

This is a simple, easy, magical read, that allows you to escape the world a little while without getting to in depth. There’s no info dumps but the descriptions, of Aloriya, the
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
OhMYGOD WHAT AN AMAZING READ!!!!!!!!

I think I have been looking for a FANTASY like this for quite a while now and all my prayers have been ANSWERED in the form of this jawdropping-ly stunning, lyrical and mesmerizing book.

I must admit I was wholly drawn by THAT GLORIOUS cover and just the first sentence , the first, mind you sealed the fate of five stars for this book!

IDK HOW I AM GONNA SURVIVE FOR THE NEXT MONTHS WITHOUT HAVING A PHYSICAL COPY OF THIS BOOK TO CRADLE TO MY SLEEP BUT I GUESS I
Julie - One Book More
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Among the Beasts and Briars is a story of transformation and development, about embracing yourself flaws and all, about having self-worth and taking risks. Cerys is the daughter of the royal gardener and destined to replace her father when he retires. Years ago, she and her best friends, the prince and princess, were involved in a terrible tragedy, and only the princess and Cerys survived. The prince, their guard, and Cerys’ mother perished to the woods by which they lived. However, Cerys has co ...more
Francesca ❆
Thank you so much Balzer + Bray for providing me a free copy through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.

OVERALL
A very lighthearted, feel good kind of a fairytale that can be easily turned into a Disney classic movie.

CHARACTERS:
The main trio of protagonists, Cerys and Arwen and Fox, are very humane (even if one of them is fox) because while they try to be honorable and good, they’re still flawed and are constantly battling their “demons” so they can be there for each other and do good deed
Cindee
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book so much it is the best YA Fantasy I have read in a long while. I loved all of the characters so much especially Cerys or Daisy as Fox calls her I also loved him so much (view spoiler) they fit so well together as well. They both were such well written characters Cerys was a great yet flawed character that blamed herself for the loss of her friends and her mother and thought all she is the gardene ...more
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
CeliaMcMahonReads CeliaMcMahonReads
I'm in that position right now where I'm getting a little tired of 2020. But thank God books like this are getting published to soothe our melancholy pandemic souls.

Thank you for Edelweiss and Balzer and Bray for the e-arc.

I want to give Ashley Poston a shout-out and one of those high five's where she doesn't see it and I end up looking like a fool, but still feeling pretty good about myself overall. Her books never fail to excite me. I think she may be my new auto-buy author.

ATBAB starts off
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Les Misérables
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Instant Karma
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • Master of One
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • The Other Side of the Sky (The Other Side of the Sky, #1)
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Articles featuring this book