Start by marking “We Still Live” as Want to Read:
We Still Live

We Still Live

Running from a scandal that ruined his life, Isaac Twain accepts a teaching position at Hambden University where, three months prior, Professor John Conlon stopped a campus nightmare by stepping in front of an active shooter.

Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 233 pages
Published December 9th 2019 by NineStar Press (first published December 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about We Still Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Still Live

Start your review of We Still Live
Trio
Days after finishing it, images from Sara Dobie Bauer’s We Still Live are still rolling around in my head. Hopefully revisiting it all for the sake of this review will be cathartic. But more importantly, I hope it inspires you to dive into this powerful, thought provoking novel.

Centered around a community facing life after a horrific school shooting, We Still Live delves deeply into the emotional pain of these characters. We follow this tight-knit group as they process the tragedy, and work to h
Annery
If you’ve been alive in America for the past 20 years the scenario of this story is an unhappy reality. A grim one. Still Sara Dobie Bauer has managed to create a little pocket of hope. Make no mistake, she hasn’t trotted out some fantastical cure-all for what ails us as a society, or even for the woes of the MCs, but she has written a story that, to me at least, felt vital and important. Is it perfect? No, not by a long stretch, and yet those loose ends, that true-to-life floundering, is what l ...more
Christelle
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, mm-steamy, mm-intense
My first try with this author. I enjoyed the tale and there were several things I liked about this book.

Isaac, a big quiet guy, leaves his tattered life for a fresh start in a University where a shooting happened at the end of the previous school year. The atmosphere is quite gloom, each one on the campus dealing with the impact of such a tragedy on his/her own way. And Isaac witnesses this as a teacher, but also, on a more personal level, as someone developing feelings towards John, another te
Melissa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A complimentary copy was provided by the author via the DBML program in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. This was just awesome. I did not want to put it down. The characters are so well written. The plot, very timely and I did worry about the shooter aspect. While this is certainly a trigger for some, I personally was okay with this plot and I think, for me, it's because it wasn't about the shooter but the aftermath and all involved recovering.

John is a wonderful character - flawed and caring.
True Loveislovereview
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
John is an enigma, a force, vibrating, sparkling and frolic. Not at all Isaac’ type.
But there is something about him, everybody loves John.
Isaac is the new teacher and John is the darling teacher of the school.

There is a heavy blanket laying upon the school where they work.
After the horrible trauma where John stood eye in eye with a shooter at school, everyone is still shaking. The laughs aren’t always real and the scars are deep. Bit by bit Isaac finds out what happened and the process of John'
Rach
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This my first book I’ve read from this author.

Are two main characters are Issac who is a big quiet guy who is starting from new after a trauma from his past and John who is the complete opposite from Issac and is suffering trauma from a shooting on the campus. They both are attracted to each and their relationship develops from friends to more.

I thought at first their attraction was to instant but as the story developed more I changed my mind.

A ex of Issac’s appeared in the book but wasn’t in
Gabi
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginning and ending of this book was great. It's about the aftermath of a school shooting. What happens to those who are alive. How each individual is dealing with the events, the loss of loved ones, and the overall tragic event. This part was great. I loved it.

The middle is about Isaac, who just moved to the city. And he comes with baggage. His ex (who isn't really his ex, but he's boyfriend) shows up, and... well... some things happen I didn't like... yeah, overall that middle part was co
Papie
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Anna Kaling
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I've read this three times and I can't wait to read it again. John and Isaac are wonderfully real, including scars and glorious imperfections and hang-ups and insecurities. I don't think of them as characters but as friends.

I'll write a fuller review when I've enjoyed my fourth tasting!
Debra
A lot of this book was very well-executed and might have been a 5 star read for me. In fact, I thought the whole story of the aftermath of the shooting and its effects on the various members of the school community was very good. Isaac, coming onto the scene months later as a new teacher, an outsider to the grief, and struggling with his own issues was a unique perspective. Unfortunately, the storyline with Isaac's ex-boyfriend Simon did not work for me at all and felt unnecessary and kind of jo ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

We Still Live by Sara Dobie Bauer gutted me in all the right ways. Like a scary, yet thrilling, roller coaster ride, this novel plumbed the depths of my emotions from rage, to fear, to a sense of deep sadness. Yet despite all that, it was an incredibly satisfying romance—one that was chock-full of mistakes, pain, joy, and hope. I loved that the author chose not to provide a simple fix for the tragedy John and Isaac had faced, both separately in their lives and toget
Ζωή Παππά
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A scandal ruins Isaac’s life so he leaves everything behind and goes to Hambden University where he accepts a teaching position. At the University he meets another professor, John. Three months earlier there was a shooter at the school and John stepped in front of him and stopped him. John and Isaac become friends and soon develop feelings for each other but then the problems start.
Do you know what I really really love in books? I love characters that feel like real people. Characters with flaws
Rebelexmachina
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shari Sakurai
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
*I received this novel for free in exchange for an honest review*

We Still Live is the story of two university professors who are both struggling with traumatic pasts. Isaac is fleeing his hometown and the scandal that his divorce left behind and John is suffering from PTS due to confronting an active shooter at the university. The two of them make a connection and embark on an affair that could not only cost them their jobs but their lives as well.

I was divided as how to rate this novel. There w
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, trr, romance, m-m
We Still Live is a contemporary, standalone book that deals with some hard-hitting issues - mental illness and violence at school being just two. John is classed as a hero for his actions in the summer, but it affected him in ways even he doesn't fully understand. Isaac is a new teacher, running from his own past. John isn't Isaac's type, he tells him often enough to begin with, but there is an attraction there that he can't deny.

Although to begin with I wasn't 100% behind Isaac and John, they b
Karma♥Bites ^.~
3rd try/DNF 4 Mar 2020 (no rating)
**ARC provided by NineStar Press via NetGalley**

Sadly, I’m gonna have to call this & chalk up to ‘me, not book’ after 3rd attempt failed to sustain my interest.

Got ARC of WE STILL LIVE by NTM author, Sara Dobie Bauer, just b4 publication date b/c had good experience w/ another NineStar Press read. But poor planning on my part b/c plot thread re: shooting aftermath d/n mesh well w/ holiday season. So attempt #1 = tabled read until New Year.

Given ARC copy, will o
Sandy S
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars--

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date December 9, 2019

When John and Isaac become faculty advisors for the school's literary magazine, their professional relationship evolves. Despite the strict code of conduct forbidding faculty fraternization, they delve into a secret
Kayla
I was provided an ARC on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, I'm just going to put it out there that this read like a straight woman writing a male/male romance, which sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure if the author identifies as straight, so that may be presumptuous of me but the last page did say she was an "ally with a hunky husband" so there's that. I don't read very much m/m romance, so maybe this is just how they all read and maybe that means it's not for me beca
Natosha Wilson
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book blew me away with how it sucked me in and made me feel like I was part of this tragic but also hopeful read. Trigger Warnings: there is descriptions of self harm, school shootings and the aftermath, mental illness, and graphic details. So be forewarned beforehand about these warnings but also know this book is about facing the horrible aspects of reality and trying to move forward in a healthier way in the end. It is a book about hope above all.... hope of finding a new reality am ...more
Annie
I was drawn in by the cover of We Still Live and, as someone who enjoys hurt-comfort romances, the blurb convinced me this was a must read book. We Still Live is my first book by the author and I was impressed with her writing style, the smooth pacing, and the character development. This is definitely a heavy book that addresses a number of pertinent issues in today’s society and readers should heed the trigger warnings (particularly those regarding mass shootings and school violence).

I liked b
Elke
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is very rare that I come across a book that I finish in one night. But We Still Live by Sara Dobie Bauer was one of those books. It drew me in right from the first page and I wasn't able to put it down until I finished it, even if that meant staying up until 3 am. Now its the next day and I'm still reeling from this story and at the same time I feel sad that it's over.
The story starts with Isaac who has just taken up a position as a teacher in a new school. He went to a party to get to know
Krystal Jane
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the blurb, I expected parts of the story to go a little differently. The plot took an unexpected turn after Simon, the "violent ex" shows up. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. The story was still interesting and enjoyable. It focuses more on pain and healing, but the whole Simon thing was like a firework that turns out to be a dud after you light it. It made me feel like Isaac had been overreacting about his past the entire story. He wasn't really, but I still feel like he was overly dramat ...more
Tavis
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5

We Still Live completely caught me by surprise. This was a well-balanced romance novel that explores trauma and violence in a well though-out, powerful, and tender way. I loved the way Bauer chooses to confront these sensitive topics head on instead of just brushing the surface. Truly a gem.

Thank you NetGalley and NineStar Press for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Ana
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were a few things I liked about the book. One of them was how lovely character John was. Sadly I didn’t felt the same way about Isaac, but I still enjoyed the moments he made John happy. I liked the fact that mental illness was address. I always appreciate the mention of the subject in books.
Rosie Amber

We Still Live is a contemporary romance set around the survivors of a shooting incident in the United States.

Isaac Twain has just joined the English teaching staff at Hambden University. The move was rather rushed; Isaac replaced a teacher who wasn’t returning to the scene of the shooting, and Isaac had his own reasons for taking the last minute job.

During the shooting incident, John Conlon stood in front of the gun wielding student and was the last person to speak to him before the boy
ChaosMoondrawn
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would rate this 4.5 stars.

Isaac, a new professor at a college that just had a mass shooting, moved from South Carolina to Ohio for a fresh start. He is surrounded by people with PTSD, an outsider among those who have not only known each other for years, but who have bonded over a painful event that he doesn't know a lot about. Running from his own demons, Isaac has to forgive his own secret past, before he came be truly present for his future. Meeting his colleague John is a complication, a fr
Josh Dale
This is one exceptional book that delves into the aftermath of a school shooting. We start at the start of a new academic year. Isaac is the new professor who is instantly attracted to a young fellow professor and writer.
John is fun to be with, very friendly and liked by everyone, He is called a hero after facing off with the shooter at gunpoint. His humour and cheery fun personality instantly hook Isaacs attraction towards John.
Isaac also has his own baggage and is running away from his EX, who
Sherry
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sara Dobie Bauer is a new author for me, and this book was a terrific introduction to her work.

The story is dark, so it might not be for everyone. The plot revolves around a mass shooting on a college campus. Several of the characters were at the site of the shooting, and the book deals with their struggles, including PTSD, survivor’s guilt, and suicidal acts, subjects that are likely to be triggering for some readers.

The circumstances of the story make for a gripping and emotional hurt/comfort
Ruthie Taylor
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

Wow, this book is really intense, and so, so good. Bauer is a new author to me, but I shall definitely be reading more, as the writing is excellent and the pace just perfect.

Hambden University is recovering from a mass shooting by a student ... the wounds are raw, the whole place is coming to terms with what happened, no one more so than John Conlon, who put himself in the way of danger to save the others. He has been
Luka
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't really know what I was expecting as I started reading, but I was surprised of how much I loved it! I was just about to read a couple of chapters, but I ended up finishing it in one sitting.

It is beautiful, sexy and painful all at the same time.
The characters are so realistic and lovable, and they will stay with me for a very long time. I might even have a little crush on the sweet little John, since he's just the best!
T
« previous 1 3 next »

• Off Balance (Painted Bay, #1)
  • Bossy
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Rare
  • The Making of Jonty Bloom (Unfinished Business, #1)
  • A Long Way Back (Unfinished Business #2)
  • Project Hero
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Out (DC Pride #2)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • The Murder Between Us
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Spring Strings
  • Hometown Christmas
  • The Night Of
Sara Dobie Bauer is a bestselling author, model, and mental health / LGBTQ advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. She lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she’d really like to live in a Tim Burton film.

JOIN THE FACEBOOK SEXY CIRCLE: