Start by marking “The Mourning Report” as Want to Read:
The Mourning Report

The Mourning Report

Two years after her mother's death from breast cancer, Caitlin, then 20 years old, was admitted to a psychiatric facility after a suicide attempt. There, a therapist diagnosed her with major depression and anxiety, and she spent time as an inpatient.

Years later, still suffering from grief and depression, Caitlin decided to embark on a "grief journey," interviewing the peop
Published October 6th 2020 by Homebound Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Mourning Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mourning Report

Start your review of The Mourning Report
Michelle
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The first noticeable thing about this debut memoir: “The Mourning Report” (2020) written by Caitlin Garvey is the lovely book cover of the mother and infant reflecting the mother-daughter bond. Garvey’s mother was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (2001) and passed away several years later following a double mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes. It is tragic enough to lose a parent in this manner; understandably, Garvey was devastated—and has chronicled her profound story of mental an ...more
Valerity (Val)
This book jumps around in time in its telling of the story. Not necessarily a bad thing, just the choice of the writer, Caitlin Garvey, who shares her extremely painful journey watching her mother pass away from cancer. It details her rough time putting her life back together and moving on after the loss; which some may relate to if they’ve lost someone that close to them. For a young woman like her, there could be no one closer, just as it is for most.

I found the book easy to become involved in
Vartika
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A bereaved daughter's memoir of grief, The Mourning Report maps out Caitlin Garvey's attempts to come to terms with her loss by talking to people who were part of her mother's journey in her last days—her close friend and hairstylist, the family priest, a hospice nurse who took care of Breast Cancer patients like her, her former co-worker and estate planner, and her funeral director—nearly a decade after the fact.

In collating her own memories of the departed and her struggle after the loss with
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a story of loss. The writer took me on her journey. She wanted to find closure. She interviewed 4 people who were with her mom at some point during her life.
The book was about that and so much more. It’s not a pleasant read. But you might gain some perspective about loss. It clearly effects all of us differently.

Thanks to the publisher via Netgalley for this book in exchange for my honest review.
Chelsie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very eye opening novel on the different ways we can perceive death, and grief and loss. I found it intriguing how Caitlin tried to hang onto the memories of her mother by talking to others who had a hand in helping her mother during and after her passing of cancer. I would have never thought to have done this, and to get these different perspectives and point of views.

Losing someone is never easy, even if they’ve been fighting the battle more months or years and hospice and medical pe
Amie's Book Reviews
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
******** TRIGGER WARNING ********
This book contains talk of depression, grief, a suicide attempt and suicidal ideation. If any of these topics are triggers for you, I suggest you either skip this book, or proceed with caution.
*************************************

"I'm scared to live, and I envy those who aren't..."

Caitlin Garvey lost her mother to Breast Cancer when Caitlin was only twenty years old. Unable to find her way through her grief, she attempted suicide and ended up in a locked psych
Darcia Helle
If my heartstrings played a song while I read this book, it would be Cryin’ by Joe Satriani. That song reaches in and tugs at my emotional core, as did this book.

Caitlin Garvey writes with raw honesty and vulnerability about her experience with loss, faith, sexuality, and mental health. Her story is personal but also relatable.

Perhaps it’s strange to say I loved a book that deep-dives into death. I did, though. I read this book in one afternoon because I didn’t want to put it down.

I could toss w
Kelly Long
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is an emotional book as it deals with death, cancer, suicide attempt, and mental illness. I like how the author tries to make sense of her grief by interviewing several people who knew her mother or deal with death and dying for a living.
kortnee
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It was very hard to rate this book in stars I want to give it a four but let me explain.

As I enjoyed this book and the journey to find answers, to feel whole again I found well I was reading it that my mind would trail off as I am still reading.

In one of the interviews they talk about life and death and how babies come into the world and then I found myself thinking of my daughters birth and how scared I was , I thought I was going to lose her, made me tear up a bit ... ( won’t leave you hangin
Infantina
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The mourning report is a heart-wrenching, poignant memoir of a young daughter's love for her mother who became a victim to death swallowed by breast cancer. The sufferings of her mother began when she was in 2nd grade. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia deteriorated the health of her beautiful mother like a slow poison It was tough for her and her family to see their loved one endure the disease and die in distress.

Caitlin Hogan Garvey is the middle child of her parents. More than her father, still t
Pamela Scott

I thought this was an incredibly sad book, very moving at times but heart-breaking. Its clear Caitlin’s never got over her mother’s death and her grief, many years later still shapes her life. Grief affects people in different ways. Not everyone will respond the same way or take the same amount of time to move on. My Gran died almost twenty years ago and my Mum still grieves her though it has gotten easier over time. I don’t think about Gran very often. I
Cierra
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an unfiltered and raw depiction of grief and all the avenues of emotion it brings. I feel for Caitlin and her mental health struggles while trying to come to terms with the aftermath of her mother’s death. I liked the interviews that were conducted as well as how unapologetic the author was in her perspective and thoughts surrounding them.

It is a heavily emotional memoir but I appreciated that it didn’t always try to push a “light at the end of the tunnel” tone to steer the n
Francis M. Torres
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This book seriously made me cry so much. I never knew another person that loved her mom as much as I do, and when she lost her mother, I felt this pain, it’s like “what would I do if I lost my mom as that young age? Or at any age?”

Caitlin talks about her struggles dealing with the loss of her mother, getting to know her mother more, and trying to move on from her death. But she doesn’t want to seem to let go, and and she decided to interview the people who have seen her before she died, and thi
nutmeg
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I grieve for her, and I grieve for the mother I didn’t get to know. I grieve over the gaps. I grieve for order, and I grieve for comfort.”

This book is a compelling account of the author’s journey on her attempts to come to terms with the grief of losing her mother and resonate with one of life’s greatest tragedy, death.

While walking readers down her memory lane, the author was open and honest, her state of mine was revealing, the sentiments stirred were achingly provoking and difficult to igno
Hannah Symonds
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very detailed read. After Caitlyn’s mother dies, Caitlyn doesn’t cope very well but who would? I mean I couldn’t ever imagine how she must of felt I would be grief stricken if I lost my mum. After a suicide attempt she gets admitted to a psychiatric unit, I really felt for her when she was in there but I think it was for her own good, at twenty years of age I couldn’t imagine what that must of been like. I can imagine but it is never the same unless you experience it yourself. After ye ...more
Molly Tyler
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In an effort to understand her mother's death as well as her own grief and depression, Caitlin Garvey undertakes a series of interviews. She speaks with her mother's hairdresser and friend, her family's former priest, a hospice nurse, her mother's former co-worker and estate planner, and a funeral director. Between insights from these key caretakers and service providers, Garvey includes scenes of her mother's sickness, her time in an inpatient program, childhood experiences in the Catholic chur ...more
Mullay Benard
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HONEST AND RELATABLE REPORT

The Mourning Report is a portrayal of a strong mother and daughter bond and the grief and depression that the author faced after her mother's death. In interviews with a hospice worker, a priest, a funeral director, and more, Garvey weaves in her experiences with loss, faith, sexuality, and mental health. The interviews and the flashbacks within them offer a creative take on living with grief and mental illness. The book is beautifully written, with several captivating
Carly-Rae London
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This memoir will tug at your heartstrings through the entire read. The Mourning Report will stay with you even after you turn the last page. Having had to watch a close person survive breast cancer, this book holds a special place on my shelf. Yes, it does take you into different moments at different times, but it only adds to this heartfelt novel that deals with major issues in such a way, you have to read it. I am so glad to have gotten an ARC copy!

A copy of this novel was provided to me. See
Kimberly Tierney
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Mourning Report is the memoir of a daughter who is still processing her mother's death 10 years later. She sets out to find closure and healing by interviewing people who were there in the 36 hours on either side of her mother's death. Her hope is that talking with them about that time will help her to understand her mom's death in ways she has not been able to thus far.
This book is terribly depressing. I was grateful that it was a short read because the weight of gloom throughout the book
Gemma T.
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, well-written account of what it means to figure out life, loss, and death. I found myself laughing through moments of pure humanity portrayed in this book. This book is a great reminder that we are all doing our very best to get by. That each experience is unique and intertwined. And that life is just shit sometimes, but if you hang on and listen you’ll hear some really beautiful stories along the way.
Madison Summey
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was an emotional journey through interviews with people who could provide insight into the life and death of the author’s mother. In an attempt to make peace with her mom’s death years later, Garvey sets up with interviews with people who were connected to her mother in some way, or connected to death. This book is an emotional and eye opening read and I would definitely recommend it.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Mollie Anderson
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: twenties
This was a beautiful memoir discussing grief, pain, love, and healing. While brief, Caitlin took us on her own personal journey through grief and loss in a beautiful way. We see how the loss affected the author throughout her own life and coming to terms with her own mental health, pain, and mortality. The timeline jumped around slightly but was indicative of how grief does not have a specific timeline. Advanced copy was provided by Net Galley, Caitlin Garvey, and Homebound Publishing.
Janilyn Kocher
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Garvey grapples with the emotional wreckage of her mother's death when she was 18. She chronicles her mother's battles with cancers and her demise. She interviews people who assisted with her mother's last days from the priest to the hospice service. Garvey was trying to find solace from the past in order to face the future. It was a thoughtful, compelling memoir about how devastating death is. Thanks to NetGalley and Homebound Publications for the ARC in exchange for my review. ...more
Kat
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I've been racking my brain for the better part of 15 minutes trying to figure out how to write this review. I can't think of a way to do it tactfully, so I'm simply going to say that while I finished it, I didn't enjoy reading this book at all. To be honest, the best thing about it was the fact that all things considered, it was a short book so I didn't have to devote much time to it. 2 stars. ...more
Jane Carter
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well written examination of a young woman’s experience of the loss of her mother and its lasting impacts. Ms Garvey is brave and unfiltered as she examines her pain and loss through interviews with those who knew her Mom in her final days. I was particularly impressed with this writers willingness to give us the unvarnished truth. Thank You Caitlyn. Your Momma would be proud
Emma OLeary
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Garvey presents a beautiful puzzle of grief and loss. While the main reason for her interviews is to explore the relationship these people had with her deceased mother, their own experiences of personal loss weaves through. A well-written tear-jerking read for anyone who has experienced loss.
Carolyn F.
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written memoir about grief, depression, sexuality, spirituality, and living on after loss. This was not only inspiring, but also insightful and filled with wonderfully rich sentences that I will remember for a long time.(read ARC)
Beth M.
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mourning Report is one hell of a debut, touching on grief, loss, and mental health with such honesty.

After Garvey’s mother died from breast cancer, she experienced (understandably) severe depression and anxiety. She attempted suicide and spent time inpatient. But she still struggled to make sense of this enormous loss. So, she decided to interview a group of five people who were part of her mother’s life and death: a hairstylist and friend, a hospice nurse, a priest, an estate planner, and a
Mellie
Nov 08, 2020
Georgia
Apr 30, 2021

• Turtles All the Way Down
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • Flashback Girl: Lessons on Resilience from a Burn Survivor
  • Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)
  • The Switch