Start by marking “Mademoiselle de Malepeire by Fanny Reybaud,: Translated by Barbara Basbanes Richter” as Want to Read:

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  5 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Barbara Richter uses her considerable skills as a modern translator and writer to bring Fanny Reybaud's captivating French novel to the English-speaking world for the first time in more than a century.

This1854 novel focuses on a portrait of Mademoiselle de Malepeire, which hangs in Dom G�rusac's home in the countryside of southern France just before the first French Revolu
Published October 6th 2020 by Bancroft Press

To ask other readers questions about Mademoiselle de Malepeire by Fanny Reybaud,, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mademoiselle de Malepeire by Fanny Reybaud,

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Mademoiselle de Malepeire by Fanny Reybaud,: Translated by Barbara Basbanes Richter
Sue Burke
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I believe it’s good to read widely, especially outside of your favorite genre. So I said yes when the publisher offered to send me this book. The publicist suggested that as a translator, I would find it interesting — and he had the unspoken hope that I would write a review. Right on both counts.

Mademoiselle de Malespeire was a best-seller in France when it was first published in 1854. Its story seems simple at first. A young man, visiting his uncle at his country home, falls madly in love with
Jeff Zell
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
I hope this new translation sparks a renewed interest in Reybaud in English reading countries. While famous during her lifetime, she has essentially been forgotten in France and elsewhere. Perhaps this engaging story will lead to a revival.

The story goes like this: A young man visits his uncle out in the country. The uncle is a former clergyman and a. confirmed bachelor. While visiting, the uncle receives a visit from an old friend. The old friend is mesmerized by the portrait of a beautiful yo
Devon
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An excellent translation of what proves to be a timeless story. Very interesting examinations of human nature and society’s influence on the characters. The story is further enhanced with informative footnotes that help the reader learn more about the historical and cultural references through the book.
Maile
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, new translation of a long-forgotten feminist literature classic! Uses newer, relatable language to explore themes of gender and class in 19th century Provencal France.
Bruce Bortz
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charming, engrossing, and remarkably timely.
Dona Bee