Start by marking “Antiracist Baby” as Want to Read:
Antiracist Baby

Antiracist Baby

Antiracist Baby introduces the youngest readers and the grown-ups in their lives to the concept and power of antiracism. Providing the language necessary to begin critical conversations at the earliest age, Antiracist Baby is the perfect gift for readers of all ages dedicated to forming a just society.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published June 16th 2020 by Kokila

To ask other readers questions about Antiracist Baby, please sign up.

Start your review of Antiracist Baby
CatR
Aug 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
A real disappointment and missed opportunity. This was a chance to write a positive book about acceptance for young children....unfortunately this isn't it. The first requirement of a book for toddlers is that it arouses curiosity and entertains. I'm afraid this fails spectacularly on both counts.

The language is complex, the rhyme poor, and the concepts way beyond a toddlers understanding (given the style of the pictures and the fact that its a board book, you would assume it's for the 18 months
Thorny
Sep 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
Antiracist Baby is not the worst thing you could read, if you want to indoctrinate your infant into a biased way of thought. You could try Das Kapital. Or the Communist Manifesto. Or Mein Kampf. Or White Fragility. Or Rules for Radicals. There are lots of other examples of propaganda and wrong-thought you could also choose from to really mess up the way your baby thinks. At least this one has illustrations of adorable babies making the black power fist. So there's that.

The idea that "Babies are
Raquel C
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This Book Contradicts the Author’s Views

I wish I could give this negative stars. This book is not as bad as I expected it to be. Ibrahim Kendi’s views seem much more racist in his adult commentary than in his children’s book. I have plenty of issues with the contents of this book though. For instance, The author calls white people “colonizers” (on Twitter) yet says (in this book) that we should celebrate the diversity of all people. Those are two conflicting ideas. In the Q&A at the end of the b
Dave Schaafsma
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books. Antiracist Baby is book #1 (of 20) of 2020.

Hank (14): 4 stars. Great rhymes, cute baby.

Harry (15): 2.5 stars. I liked the rhymes. Makes a good point.

Tara: 3 stars. Not really a kids' book--to many big words--but maybe the information for parents in the appendix is useful. And I usually don't like rhymes but these I didn't mind so much.

Dave: 2 stars. I think of myself as an anti-racist. Which as a white person in America m
Erika
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Folks always say there’s no handbook for parenting. On June 16, #AntiracistBaby hits bookshelves and parents everywhere will have access to a handbook for raising not only an antiracist baby, but also a legit human being. @ibramxk has not only created the perfect rhyming guide for raising your baby, he’s simplifying being actively antiracist for the adult folks who seem hell-bent on being offended by the term antiracist. Small, but powerful, this book belongs on every nursery bookshelf, but even ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2020
this one was so cute and also taught important lessons to young children while providing resources/tips at the end. perfect for parents and their children!
Calista
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults trying to understand race
I picked this book up from the library. It has been on lists out there, so I picked gave it a try.

This is not a story, this is 9 steps in rhyme in ways to help a child grow up being antiracists. One of the big things they stress is to notice color. We can't pretend we don't see it. It makes us different and that's okay. We are all still people.

Everything the book has to say is great, but this is more a soapbox, or not a soapbox, but a pamphlet for growing up with acceptance. Again, this is not
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book was such a disappointment. I was hoping for something geared towards my small children that could spark conversations or explain this topic at a kid level (something that I am terrible at), but this book was not it. It looks like a book for toddlers, but it was just super weird. The book was full of awkward rhymes with language geared towards adults (who would be better off just picking up a copy of How to be an Antiracist).

Edit: I think I’ve finally figured out what is bothering me so
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
I love a good activism book, especially one that's geared towards children. Children must be taught about racism and prejudice, especially white children whose parents never take the time to teach them about white privilege and their power to use their voices to defend the marginalized. I do think it's an entry-level manifesto of anti-racism, which may be great for children. However, my trouble lies in the fact that it takes more of a humanist approach rather than an actively anti-racist one. By ...more
Holly Letson
I feel like this does this the opposite of what it is meant to do.
Erica Clou
This is pretty cute but it's a little complicated for actual babies and toddlers with both word choice and ideas that are insufficiently concrete. On the other hand, for older kids (mine are 6 and 9) it's not in-depth enough about what the problem is or how they can address it in their own lives. However, I do I plan on using either the older version of Stamped from the Beginning or the new version (TBR) to teach my kids about racism and how to address it. ...more
Mary Lee
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: race, rhyming, board-book, 2020
I heard Ibram X. Kendi read it aloud, but didn't want to log it until I held a copy in my hands. This is a book I'll be sharing with my 5th graders. (How to write simply about a complex topic.) ...more
L. McCoy
WARNING: THIS BOOK MIGHT BE FOR KIDS, MY REVIEW IS NOT. STRONG LANGUAGE AND A BIT OF DARK HUMOR AHEAD!

This book... it’s actually a real thing... it’s even an award winner... and it actually exists... it isn’t just a joke... I don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

What’s it about?
This book shows antiracist baby’s 9 steps to not being a racist... and they’re executed terribly.

Why it gets 1-star:
So I typically prefer when picture books have a simple but fun story, this has no story whatsoever. The en
MissBecka Gee
Brightly coloured pages with wonderful steps on how to help teach your baby (or anyone else) how to recognize and dismantle racist thoughts and actions.
What a fantastic way to introduce children to bias and the power of change.
I especially enjoyed the discussion bits at the back that have real world applications to try out with your wee ones.
Panda Incognito
This book is awkward, clunky, and completely ineffective for the intended picture book audience. Even though this is designed to be a counting book with a few short statements on each page, the text is full of high-level vocabulary words, abstract concepts, and unexplained assertions. Also, even though the cover is adorable, I think that the illustrations inside are weird and unappealing, because the babies and adults have awkward proportions and look flat and unrealistic.

The only reason why I a
Joan
Aug 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really disliked this book. Not for its messages, which are excellent, but for its language and illustrations. I can’t imagine parents trying to engage toddlers with its convoluted rhymes and its adult verbiage. And I find the illustrations just creepy in their execution.
Akula Rahul
Sep 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Absolute gibberish specifically geared towards pleasing mentally retarded degenerates of social justice community
Deborah
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Big, bold, and vibrant illustrations demonstrate in nine simple steps how to raise a baby to be antiracist. What a beautiful and powerful book of wisdom. If all parents read, taught, and spoke out to their children about these issues their children’s world could be transformed. We are not “better” or “worse” but “diverse.” “Celebrate our differences” as “we are all human.” Conversation suggestions and insights are included in the end. Highly recommend.
Never Without a Book
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Antiracist Baby is a very cute introduction to toddlers about racism. The illustrations are bold and beautiful & the message behind is an important one. I can see this book being very appealing to little ones. The only thing I would add is that I wish there was more rhyming. I feel rhythm & rhyme will stick more with toddlers quickly. Over this a great book.

Thank you Kokila Publishing for gifting this ARC via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
Rebekah
This book seems to be targeted at adults rather than actual babies or children, and if that's the case, I don't really think the nine steps are super actionable because they're written as little rhymes and don't convey a ton of information about how to do any of the steps. It's a good springboard for antiracist ideas, but if this book is more targeted at parents, I think reading the actual How to Be An Antiracist makes more sense for them. ...more
Lisen
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clear with wonderful illustrations and good examples!
Daniel Ward
Oct 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
What is actually wrong with someones brain to think that a baby, is born racist? I honestly thought this book was a satire joke.
superawesomekt
This is exactly what you think it is.

If you are acquainted with the board book market you know what I mean. There are beautiful board books out there with appealing illustrations and text that both adults and children of most ages will enjoy. Then there are the ones that are "let's review your colors/numbers/ABCs." I think there is a place for those board books. Board books that present nursery rhymes or favorite songs are also great.

But then we have books that are really just marketed to adult
Alexandre Frenette
Dec 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you're looking for a tool to help you indoctrinate your kids into a worldview of racist white-hating woke intersectional progressivism then this is the book for you!

Filled with a general sense of hopelessness and dread, this book will make sure to stoke that white guilt and/or anti-white hatred in the parent while teaching toddlers that character is really secondary to skin colour.

If there was a way to make this review ZERO stars I would, it is much much more insidious than I can explain here
Bre (Loc'd Booktician)
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I truly wish I had these 9 steps when I was a kid! This needs to be added to your collection of children’s book. Racism is not inherent, IT’S TAUGHT! Use this book as a stepping stone for your baby to be better than WE are!
Rod Brown
Annual Goodreads Choice Awards reading project: Read all the Picture Book nominees! (2 of 15)

Love the sentiments, cringe at the couplets.

I liked Kendi's How to Be an Antiracist, but this kid spin just did not work for me.
melhara
2.5/5

The rhymes were only OK and I didn't particularly love the graphics either. The book does offer helpful discussion topics related to antiracism. But overall, this seems to be a picture book that is more catered to adults than children (with the aim of instructing parents/guardians on how to teach and raise their kids to be antiracist).
Harper
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Important topic, wonderful illustrations, and of course something we should be reading and talking about with young people of all ages. The text itself doesn’t feel like it is actually geared toward babies & toddlers as much as caregivers. The rhythm and rhymes are awkward and a bit forced in places. I really wanted this to be a good way to talk about racism with my 2 year old nephew, but I genuinely do not think he will understand it.
Dan
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
My daughters and I had a great conversation today reading Dr. Ibram X. Kendi's Antiracist Baby. The connections they made to some of the concepts in the book and the illustrations in their everyday lives were really powerful. ...more
Liz De Coster
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Love the illustrations but the rhyme/meter is a little forced.

• I Am Every Good Thing
  • Bedtime Bonnet
  • Just Like Me
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • The Seed of Compassion: Lessons from the Life and Teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • If I Never Met You
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Little Man, Little Man: A Story of Childhood
  • The Serious Goose
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Magic for Liars
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
See top shelves…
Ibram X. Kendi is the Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities at Boston University, and the founding director of the BU Center for Antiracist Research. He is a contributing writer at The Atlantic and a CBS News racial justice contributor. Kendi is the 2020-2021 Frances B. Cashin Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University.

He is the author of many books including