Start by marking “City of Screams” as Want to Read:
City of Screams

City of Screams

Lonely mall corridors, stuffy hotel rooms, that always-locked apartment in your building—
Horror lurks in your city at every bend, and it is waiting to leap at you in your solitary unguarded moment.

And when it does, all the commotion of the city wouldn’t be enough to stifle your screams.

These 15 stories come from the grisly and ghastly underbellies of our cities. From
Published September 30th 2019 by Half Baked Beans

To ask other readers questions about City of Screams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Screams

Start your review of City of Screams
Sankalpita (bookGeeks India)
Few stories are really good esp. the one by Neil D'Silva. Some others are good, rest are mediocre at the best. I would rate the book 3.5/5. ...more
Riya Joseph Kaithavanathara
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Have you read a collection of stories from the same genre which are extremely strange, especially a horror genre?

CITY OF SCREAMS, an Anthology of Urban Horror Stories compiled & edited by Neil D'Silva. The book contains 15 short stories by different authors. They are :

🔸City of Screams by Neil D'Silva is about a man coming from a village for the first time looking for a job in the city & gets swollen into the ugliest deepest pits of the beautiful city.

🔸Lost by Kiran Manral is about a women who ha
Nithya K
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enough boos in this book to keep you up at night

I am a newbie to this genre. I'm more a horror movie fan, an all time favorite being The Shining. Since I was reading a horror novel for the first time I didn't know what to expect. I went with the flow and took it in slowly. Each author has given a different twist to their tale. City of screams actually made me squirm and pause for a minute. Suhail's story had a different effect. While on my walk, I kept staring hard at winding roads, half expecti
Ammu Nair
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
1. City of screams by Neil D'Silva: People from small places, comes to the city to make there A dream come true. Some successful, some not. The author has portrayed the story of Harry but something evil awaits him. So overall a good story but an expected ending.

2. Lost by Kiran Manral: I had loved the story, it's scary to the core. The story of a mother and child, where something is supernatural. But I couldn't understand the end, I read it thrice. Still the same.

3. The Haunting Tale by Suhail M
Warhol Publishing Reviews
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Neil D’Silva, the repeated best-selling author, has decided to turn editor, under the watch of Half Baked Beans Publishing. Together, they present a new horror anthology: “City of Screams.” Set in modern-day, urban India, fifteen authors bring forward a collection of ghosts, ghouls, and all the other deadly things which are guaranteed to make a reader’s stomach twist before they retreat to the more-peaceful countryside.

One striking positive about this anthology is how well the stories compliment
Rishi Vohra
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
15 urban horror stories - 15 authors! Each author masterfully brings a different flavour of horror, which engages even those unitiated to the genre! Each story is scary in it's own way and it takes a bit of recovery before one is able to move to the next. Master horror writer and curator of this book, Neil D'Silva has picked well and brought out the best of Indian horror short stories in one book! ...more
Vedant Saxena
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most fascinating thing about this book is all the stories are of different kind. From psychological horror, to urban legends, to jump scares, it has a flavour of everything. I loved Namu ne the most, the jump scare was incredible. City of screams story was intriguing and brilliantly written. Home story has exotic flavours. Day One at Pamperium, the Spa a slasher horror. Deep in the Dark was interesting and fresh. The Haunting Tale was chilly. 13th floor a nostalgic tale. And all the other st ...more
Pretty Bibliophile
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
City of Screams was my first horror anthology in a long time. Reading it was a pleasure especially because it contains stories from various authors and as such with different writing styles included, the book was an amalgamating of some of the best horror stories in the Indian scene out there.

There are a total of 15 different short stories in the book, all adding a fresh new take on the topic we all love. The synopsis was compelling enough to draw my attention to it when I was first approached
Prachi
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
The review is in the exchange of review copy.
*****

▶Most of us like reading and watching horror content and very few of us refrain from doing so. City of Screams is the first Urban Horror Anthology of India compiled by Neil D'Silva and is a compilation of 15 short tales.
▶The anthology is perfect for beginner readers and even for those who read occasionally.
▶Now coming to the content, there are few stories that keep the curiosity till the end. The narration is so amazing that you can picturise i
Aakash
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
City of screms

Suberb book to read to get spooky idea for the horror anf chill thant can't be forgeteen....

Ho ahead to read the book...
Galina
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More than the average anthology, I truly enjoyed this dark and disquieting collection about the death, evil spirits, and ghosts that prowl just under the radar of the big city. Not generally gory, the book instead has an overall unsettling vibe, more in line with classic horror than the jump-scares of the current mainstream. The authors that I had read before did not disappoint and I wound up encountering several new ones whose work I will certainly be following in the future.

Overall, "City of
Prabhanjan Tattar
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scream: the ghosts of the finest Indian horror writer's are behind them

The finest and scariest horror writer's as Neil D'Silva, Sid Kapdi, Tim Paxton, and Suhail Mathur come together and write an anthology of horror stories. How can't you be scared? If that's not enough excuse, there are eleven more proven and upcoming ghost writer's. Every city is empty and every ghost is out took scare you. A handful of them have been chosen from a competition with over two hundred entries.
It is not just abou
Saurabh
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A compilation of Spooky Stories. Baring a few, most are very good, entertaining.
In one or two stories, I had to read again to check if something really happened, or is there really a story. You know, The What did I miss kind of feeling. But even after re-reading, there is nothing.
But the rest of the stories are OK, and some are very good.
Aishwariya Loganathan
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of stories featuring some prominent names in the world of horror fiction.
Rajan Mishra
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Mixed bag of stories! Some are good, Some are Okay-ish.
ritupon deori
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A list of short horror spells , all casted around different plots makes the reader go clutched into non stop reading. Not disappointed at all
Avishek Gupta
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A nice anthology that packs the chills. I liked the stories by Suhail Mathur, Neil Dsilva, Tim Paxton, Nilutpal Gohain and Aindrila Roy the most. Other stories were good too.
Ekta
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
City of Screams is a great horror stories anthology carefully curated.
A book full of scary stories which vividly shakes up your imagination and sends shivers down your bone.
Horror is not a deeply explored genre and hence I picked up this book to see its take on the same. When I think of horror, I think of Stephen King, the true king, it feels great to see stories close to home.
The stories are very perseptive and unique in themselves.
So, if one's looking for a great chill to the bone, this is y
Charmaine Desouza
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this read. India's First Urban Horror Anthology definitely did not disappoint right from the first story to the last story (barring my story, per se). 1 subgenre + 15 authors + 15 unique styles = 1 entertaining read. Each story has its own bizarre twists and turns and is definitely right up every horror buff's alley. This book is everything it promises to be. ...more
Kavya U.
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This anthology left me in screams, really. These stories are unconventional and you'd be enthralled by their narration. I definitely recommend it to all horror lovers. ...more
Tanu
Sudhanshu Porwal
rated it it was ok
May 16, 2020
AVM  PCS Rautela
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2020

• Buried
  • A Train Story: flash reads by Himanshu Goel
  • The Gift
  • You Beneath Your Skin
  • Red Suits You: (Penguin Petit)
With 12 books to his credit, Neil D’Silva is a known name in the Indian literary world. His unique stories have struck a chord with a wide range of readers, eliciting praise from various quarters. He is published with leading publishers such as Penguin Random House, Rupa Publications, and Hachette among others, and has won screen adaptation deals on four of his books.

He has been named as one of th