Start by marking “A Thousand White Butterflies” as Want to Read:
A Thousand White Butterflies

A Thousand White Butterflies

As if being new to the United States wasn't hard enough, Isabella's first day of school is canceled due to snow!

Isabella has recently arrived from Colombia with her mother and abuela. She misses Papa, who is still in South America. It's her first day of school, her make-new-friends day, but when classes are canceled because of too much snow, Isabella misses warm, green, Co
Published January 19th 2021 by Charlesbridge

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand White Butterflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand White Butterflies

Start your review of A Thousand White Butterflies
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got to learn new words and a new language!

I got so excited like the child in me who loves reading the best, warm storybooks like this.

This story tells the story of an immigrant child who's feeling quite lonely and is looking forward to make new friends at her new school. But the school has been cancelled because of heavy snowfall.

I love how realistic the characters are represented in this little story. I love the illustrations. They are solid.

A must keep.

Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
I got to learn new words and a new language!

A must keep.

Tarissa
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely bilingual picture book, about an immigrant girl from Columbia. She's so excited to meet new friends at school, until school gets cancelled due to the falling snow outside. She still finds a way to make a friend anyways!

I really like how some Spanish words and phrases are mixed in to the story, which is mostly told in English. (Plus, there's a glossary in the back -- just in case.)

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a free copy in return for an honest opinion.
Mutually Inclusive
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Thousand White Butterflies by Jessica Betancourt-Perez and Karen Lynn Williams is a delightful picture book about making friends.

In A Thousand White Butterflies, we meet Isabella, a young girl whose family recently immigrated to the US from Colombia. Isabella misses her Papa, who is still in Columbia waiting for permission to travel to join his family.

Isabella has big plans to make friends on her first day of school, but the weather has other plans. When school is cancelled because there is to
Theediscerning
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that reads as a little too designed for its purpose as opposed to being for pure entertainment, but still a success. It's certainly not anything like as worthy as it might have been. Our heroine, freshly living in the USA, misses her dad back in Colombia, and is desperate to find new friends to stop her feeling lonely and sad. However, there's a problem, and while it might look like a million tiny white butterflies outside of her windows, it is in fact snow, and too much snow at that. How ...more
Shari
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to #NetGalley for sharing this beautiful story about a little girl experiencing the anticipation of going to a new school and making new friends in a new country. When an unexpected snow day cancels her school plans, Isabella experiences her first snow, comparing the falling flakes to "a thousand white butterflies," and makes a new friend as they play together in the snow. The upcoming day at school is now even sweeter knowing she will have a friend. Generational relationships are depi ...more
RoshReviews
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely litle story of an immigrant child who is missing her Papa but is still excited to make new friends in her new school in the US. But when the snow falls, it looks like her plans are ruined. Or are they?

I loved the depth within the simple words. Through beautiful illustrations and heart-touching words, Jessica Betancourt-Perez makes us connect with little Isabella. She also gives us a glimpse into Columbia with her wonderful use of the native words and accessories.

A beautiful book with a
Donna Maguire
Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 19th January 2021 - publication day!

I really enjoyed this story and the illustrations are stunning - they work so well with the story and really do bring the book to life.

The main focus of the book is on a little girl called Isabella, she has recently arrived in the US from Columbia and is about to being her new life and will be starting a new school, but her dad is not yet with the rest of her family so it goes through her worries and concerns.

The book
Tricia
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review. A Thousand White Butterflies is a precious story about Isabella, who is a recent immigrant from Columbia. She lives with her parents and Abuela (grandmother). She’s excited to start at her new school, while missing her grandfather, who is still waiting to come to America from Columbia. Her first day of school ends up getting canceled due to snow and Isabella thinks she might not get to make new friends to ...more
Lis
Dec 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Charlesbridge for an opportunity to see an advance copy of A Thousand White Butterflies by Jessica Betancourt-Perez & Karen Lynn Williams. It publishes January 19, 2021.
A sweet story of snow and friendship while also giving the perspective of a child who has recently immigrated to the United States with her mother while her father is still Columbia.
Friendship, sharing experiences, and embracing change are all approachable themes in this picture book perfect for prescho
Ashley Dang
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet story about a girl who has recently arrived in America, her father is still waiting for permission to get in and she is just about to start school. This is just a day in her life as she is trying to adjust to her new environment and hopefully make new friends! A wonderful read for kids, especially as it deals with how hard it might be to adjust to a new place and that you should always try to make new friends!

*Thanks Netgalley and Charlesbridge for sending me an arc in exchange for
Nic
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful little picture book, both in words and illustrations. An immigrant story told in both English and Spanish, it manages to capture about a dozen different emotions, both simple and complicated, in so few words. The simple joy of snow, its beauty and the fun of playing in it (especially for the first time); the excitement of beginning a new journey; disappointment at a loss, however momentary; missing someone you love who is far away; making a new friend. This book is truly a ge ...more
Amber Webb
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books written in two languages. A Thousand White Butterflies was a treat.A young immigrant girl can't wait to go to school and is filed with anxious anticipation. She's all set to go when, Surprise! Snow day! Despite her disappointment, she makes new friends and discovers more about her new world. ...more
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley/publisher in exchange of an honest review.

This book just looked and sounded too adorable to pass up! A story about an immigrant girl who experiences her first snow and first snow day. I know about snow, but we don’t have snowdays so I always love reading about them in books. They sound amazing! I wish we could have days off because of weather.

Our girl is eager to start school, to make some friends (I love how she had everything ready for the day), but then ins
Sara (Sjthroughthelookingglass)
This is a slightly bilingual children's book that introduces us to Isabella, a newly immigrated little girl who is feeling lonely, excited, and anxious to meet new friends at her new school in her first day when a snow day occurs.

This book captured the childs perspective well, encourages optimism and has charming illustrations.
Kirstie Myvett
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A warm story about a girl longing for the home and father she left behind in Columbia while adapting to her new home in America. The book is filled with Spanish words used in context making it easy to follow and interpret with glossary terms in the back.
Stefanie Kellum
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Rather.be.reading1
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. I really liked the Spanish language inserts. Probably the only children's book I have read that has mentioned Colombia. It is a cute story about a little girl and a snow day. ...more
Angela

• This House Is Home
  • When a Dragon Comes to Stay
  • 12 Men for Christmas
  • This Little Light
  • Home Office Solutions: How to Set Up an Efficient Workspace Anywhere in Your House (Creative Homeowner) Creating a Comfortable Space for Remote Work; Space-Efficient Ideas, Organization Tips, and More
  • Sunflower Sisters