Jump to ratings and reviews

Transcending: Trans Buddhist Voices

The first anthology of its kind gathering the many voices and experiences of transgender, genderqueer, and non-binary Buddhists

Transcending is the first anthology of its kind to give voice to the experiences of transgender, genderqueer, and non-binary Buddhists. Over thirty contributors from both the Mahayana and Theravada traditions are gathered together in this book to present a vision for a trans Buddhist sangha in the 21st century. The volume shines a light on a new generation of Buddhist role models, giving voice to those who have long been marginalized within the Buddhist world and society at large. While trans, genderqueer, and non-binary practitioners have experienced empowerment and healing through their commitment to the Buddha, dharma, and sangha, they also share their experiences of isolation, transphobia, and aggression. In this diverse collection we hear the firsthand accounts, thoughts, and reflections of non-cis Buddhists from a variety of different lineages. The book is an open invitation for all Buddhists to bring the issue of gender identity into the sangha, into the discourse, and onto the cushion. Only by doing so can we develop insight into our circumstances and grasp our true, essential nature.

192 pages, paperback

Published October 22, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Dandy.
10 reviews
February 28, 2022
This book very literally saved my life. I wish I could thank everyone who contributed individually for sharing their heart.
1 review
September 20, 2019
This book really opens up queer and trans experiences in Buddhism with honest, and community focused perspectives. I felt inspired to return to my own practice after reading this book, encouraged by the stories of those who contributed to this book and the way they see Buddhism through a clear queer trans centering lense. It highlighted many ways in which this spiritual practice has been so closed and hetronormative - the voices in this book have worked through their own practice to see where their experience as trans people is valid and a crucial part of their buddhist practices. I recommend this book as a wonderful and eye opening resource.
Profile Image for laura.
23 reviews2 followers
January 18, 2020
Such an important collection of insight, journeys, reflections, and stories. As a white, queer, cis Buddhist, I am particularly grateful for each writer who chose to offer their wisdom and story to this collection so that I could bear direct witness, learn, grow, and deepen my practice of a more radical, inclusive, disruptive Dharma.
Profile Image for Nicole.
367 reviews22 followers
September 25, 2020
This is a wonderful perspective to add to the modern Buddhist dialogue. I’m glad to have read it, but I think I would have gotten more out of it had there been fewer contributors, instead favoring longer and more in depth essays.
Profile Image for K.S.C..
Author 1 book10 followers
December 8, 2020
A wonderful collection of dharma voices. Certain essays had me feeling like These Are My Sangha!!! Grateful to the editors for compiling this timely anthology. May it be of benefit.
Profile Image for Drake Finlay.
46 reviews10 followers
November 23, 2020
Fantastic group of essays that explore the relationship of trans individuals and Buddhism. Really showed me the deep connections between the trans experience and core Buddhist ideas of anatta, dukkha, and samsara that I hadn't considered before.

Some essays are hit and miss though, and I didn't find the poetry all that interesting in the book. Also the font for essay titles was illegible it knocks a star off.
Profile Image for Sage.
Author 6 books
January 27, 2020
An incredible and much needed anthology! I resonated with so many of the pieces within in ways I didn't even know to expect.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.