Start by marking “Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam” as Want to Read:
Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam

Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam

Ayaan Hirsi Ali's Infidel meets The Handmaid's Tale

Since September 11th, 2001, the Western world has been preoccupied with Islam and its role in terrorism. Yet public debate about the faith is polarized—one camp praises "the religion of peace" while the other claims all Muslims are terrorists. Canadian human rights activist Yasmine Mohammed believes both sides are danger

paperback, 290 pages
Published September 25th 2019 by Free Hearts Free Minds (first published September 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unveiled

Start your review of Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam
Jack Smith
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Affleck should read this
Noor Grewal-Virk
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An important book at this point in history. Simply put we western feminists need to put our fears aside of being labeled as racists and bigots because our sisters in Muslim majority countries are anticipating our support.

If these horrible atrocities can happen to a girl child in Canada, one can only imagine what’s happening in countries where women have very limited to no rights.

Yasmine’s memoire throws light on our own hypocrisy. Our western values are there to build up female empowerment, lg
Kate
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The subject of the book is very difficult, but the book itself was easy to read. The author tells her personal story, adding general information about the situation in Muslim-majority countries, showing that her story is not unique, but is actually common around the world. Her personal story of abuse is a specific illustration of a general trend. She, however, was born in Canada, and she was betrayed by the Canadian court in the name of political correctness.
It is hard to imagine that such thing
Jeff
In the acknowledgements in Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam Yasmine Mohammed thanks Ben Affleck "most of all" for his "off the rails tirade" on Bill Maher's show Real Time for inspiring her to take up activism and ultimately write this book. Affleck called fellow guest Sam Harris' strong criticism of Islam (not Muslims) gross and racist. (Since when is criticizing a religion "racist"?). No matter whose side you fall on, this book is worth reading. Once started, it is hard to ...more
Mars Cheung
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An important book that deals with an issue that must be discussed in an ethically responsible fashion.

I heard about Yasmine's story a year or so ago, via online discussions in a variety of podcasts. I was familiar with some aspects of it with regards to her dealings with religious dogma and her journey both towards atheism and a free life here in the West. The read was an extremely difficult one as she detailed out significant events of her life dealing with the abuse/horror stemming forth from
Mikey B.
As a young girl Yasmine had a horrid upbringing. Her mother was relentlessly oppressive (psychologically and physically). She actually got married against her will and had a child (daughter) thinking that finally her mother would accept her – maybe even love her. She finally, after many years, realized that this was never going to happen – and gathering all her strength, and her daughter – left.

It took her several years to reconstruct herself and to realize the paradigm of Islam and the familiar
Jasper Burns
I picked up this book after listening to Yasmine on Sam Harris’s Making Sense podcast. Halfway through that podcast I sent it to my family. Immediately finishing it, I picked up her book. Thirty-six hours later I finished it.

What a compelling story, one much in the vein of Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Infidel. Most terrifying is she endured many of Ayaan’s worst troubles, but in Western Canada, not Somalia. These stories of women living in devout Muslim households are always heartbreaking. The pain of tha
Nafiza
The style and honesty are worth two stars. It's that the author takes horrible instances of abuse and claims it's all of Islamic thought behind it rather than the parent's abuse and sect behind it. It paints a biased look that, instead of focusing on the horrors of abuse and abuse of religion, pushes a stereotype weaponized by all sides.

To say "my Muslim parents abused me greatly and this is what I want people to understand" is entirely on the level. Claiming all families are like the authors a
Celeste
All you Western pseudo-feminists out there have to read this.

All you pathetic little cowards who celebrate hijab while many women are beaten into wearing it, should read this and do some self-reflection.

Every time you celebrate hijab and burkini and silence atheists and ex-muslims, you have ex-muslim women's blood on your hands. Every time they're beaten, mutilated and killed and yet you all still continue to support this religion of madness, you have their blood on your hands.

Think more and d
Andrew
"Religious rights cannot supersede human rights"

What a powerful book. Kudos to Yasmine for narrating her experience. While a memoir might sound like a walk in the park, 'Unveiled' is not a typical one. I understand that the author still faces risks for writing and publishing her memoir. I wish I could be as brave as Yasmine.

'Unveiled' also questions Western liberals for their silence and sometimes complicit behavior in encouraging regressive and medieval practices.

This a must-read book, especial
Alex
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More of a book about her life and experiences than the social commentary I was expecting. However the former was possibly more impactful on me as it happened in my own backyard; Canada. It’s easier to read about how bad things are when it’s not happening in your own world. This book is a real eye opener and I think it would do a lot of people good to read this. At the very least it presents a second side to the debate, one that is often drowned out in PC culture.
J M-B
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a short book, about 85,000 words at a guess, but I read it in short bursts because it is both unremittingly grim and, at the same time, quite off-putting. It fails in its claim to show 'how western liberals empower radical Islam'. If you are attracted to this book by its subtitle, I think you you would be far better off looking at 'Double Bind: the Muslim Right, the Anglo-American Left, and Universal Human Rights' by Meredith Tax (New York, Centre for Secular Space, 2012).

Yasmine Mohamme
Dan Graser
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oof. Reading the life of Canadian ex-Muslim activist Yasmine Mohammed is quite affirming in the power of personal strength and the reformative perdurance of reason, but also a wake-up backhand when it comes to the inadvertently censorious nature of discussions of Islam faced by the true reformers within the religion and culture. These thoughts have also been well-articulated by Ali Rizvi, Asra Nomani, Maajid Nawaz, and Yasmine Mohammed contributes a harrowing personal account of these issues.

Gro
Mimi
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking

Yasmine's story is a heartbreaking one. To read about the abuse she endured and how she still came managed to break away and make a life for herself is awe-inspiring. These are the women whom Western feminist need to help. It's too bad they're failing them.
Laurel
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for the concept. As an ex-Mormon (a church where modesty is heavily emphasized for young women, though not to the extent that their lives are in danger), now liberal in pretty much all the ways, I am baffled at the way Islam has become an icon of freedom and feminism in the West. WHAT? Are you kidding me? Modesty laws NEVER EMPOWER WOMEN. Especially when the doctrine states that they can be killed for not upholding those laws. So you say women should have the choice to wear whatever they ...more
Laila Kanon
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Yasmine Mohammed—I salute you for your strong desire to live and to live with freedom, love, and happiness. I solute you for your strong desire to map your own life. I solute you for making it your life mission to be the ambassador of the ex-Muslims from every tribes, every continents and every toxic family’s environments so that their individuals and collective struggles could be heard, so that they too would have a chance to map their own life. You bare your soul naked and vulnerable for the w ...more
Melba Muscarolas
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an important book. Thank you to Yasmine for having the courage to tell her story and for pushing on feminists and liberal people (which I consider myself to be) in western countries to understand more about the oppression so many Islamic women and children face and what they must endure. The last chapter is very thought provoking. She also does a great job on podcasts if you prefer to hear her story in that format. I just finished the fiction book A Woman is No Man and this book is ...more
Miebara Jato
What's the usefulness of religion if it is incapable of turning us into loving and kind parents? Yasmine's story was heartbreaking, particularly the fact that she went through such horrible abuse in the hands of people who feel they were under a religious obligation to do such.

I'm surprised to read that a Western society like Canada can't protect vulnerable children from abuse by parents. Is it for lack of sufficient laws or an incompetent legal system? Whatever the reason is, I'm just confused
Mary Kathleen
Yasmine was very brave in writing this book and I want to be clear about how much I respect her. But, at the same time, I very much feel like that this is NOT the book it is marketed to be. The title of this book is absolutely a misnomer. It is very, very much a personal memoir. Her discussion of “how western liberals empower radical Islam” is pretty much limited to a few brief, sardonic asides about white guilt and a handful of stats.

Plainly, this book is a memoir, and Yasmine fails to offer m
Satheesh Kumar
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish more books like these are written to normalize the criticism of Islam. I still do not understand why Islam is given privileges denied to most other religions. We are all so used to jokes about Jesus and Ganesha but when Muhammad is ridiculed, it is considered going too far. Why does Islam still receive this special treatment?

Yasmine's story is everything bad you have heard about Islam put together. The title is rather misleading, as the book really mostly talks about Yasmine's story in a M
Louise Culmer
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Harrowing account of growing up in a fundamentalist Muslim household in Canada. The author was brutally abused from a young age, but when she finally found the courage to complain about her treatment to the authorities, the Canadian judge deemed the beatings she was getting acceptable because of her ‘culture’. though as she wryly points out, Muslim girls bruise just like western ones. This book is a searing criticism not just of fundamentalist Islam, but of the western societies which allow such ...more
Sonja Bates
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin? An incredible insight into the life of a Muslim woman. And more importantly a cry for us sisters who have already come so far to support those that are still living under such misogynistic patriarchal conditions.

To say that Yasmine you are brave is an understatement. Your brutal honesty and your blunt appraisal of this religion is nothing but convincing. I can’t imagine a counter argument that would come remotely close to what you have to say.

At the end of the book you ask if
Ella Bates
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yasmin is so right: we need to all stand up together for all of our sisters everywhere, no matter which race,religion, family or situation they come from. We need to give voices to those who are not granted one. This cannot continue. Heart wrenching book and a must read for everyone, but especially us women. We still have far to go and this book really unveils the constant obstacles and abuse that women under Sharia law face. How can one after reading this book stay quiet? It’s impossible.

I for
Ryan Thomas
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a tough book to get through. There are only so many pages of child abuse, rape and psychological torture one can stand. I had to read it in small doses. But make no mistake, I had to follow the story to the end.

To say I feel bad for Yasmine Mohammed is an understatement. No one should have to live what she lived through. As a father, I cannot imagine hurting my children the way Mohammed's mother hurt her, both physically and mentally. But if I am to trust her words, that is the norm in
Tessa Eichler
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It won’t take you long, but please read this book. This is an important view that does need to be heard.

Whilst some of the content is hard to hear, the book itself is an easy read. Yasmine Mohammed still clearly is on the road to recovery and her raw emotion and anger is clearly evident, and the first few chapters seems a bit disjointed, however don’t let this put you off. It all comes together. I also suggest listening to her episode on Sam Harris’ ‘Waking Up’ podcast.

I am someone who politic
Chandler Burr
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Unveiled" is a book about liberal white racism. It's also an amazing book, half a thriller about Yasmine Mohammed's being forced into niqab and marriage to an ISIS operative and how she fought her way to freedom, half the story of how we liberals in the West, obsessed with our idiotic identity politics, confuse Islam with a race and, insanely, celebrate the violent oppression of women.

Islam is not not a race -- Islam and Christianity are religions, with no racial or ethnic connection, and as m
Justin Norman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-rights
This was an absolutely brutal read. I had to continuously take breaks from it and read lighthearted material for several stretches because it was just so grueling to keep reading a lengthy account of the author's experience of abuse at the hands of her sexist, sadistic husband and mother. But the brutality of the book shouldn't deter you from reading it. Unlike many other difficult books I've read, this one does have a happy ending and a hopeful conclusion.

Prior to reading this book, the majorit
Matthew Fazio
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking a quick tally of books I've finished reading in the last few months PT2:

Way more tragic than Hirsi's INFIDEL and Gabriel's BECAUSE THEY HATE, Yasmine Mohammed's experience as a woman living under Sharia law should be required High School reading, just like Elie Wiesel's NIGHT.

This was a hard read.

The very first chapter begins with a brutal action perpetrated on an 8 year old girl by a man because she could not recite a passage of the Koran correctly, and the horror and torture (both phys
Juliana Thompson
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical
I would highly recommend this book to any and all self proclaimed feminists. Yasmine's story is a wake up call to the unspoken atrocities happening to women all over the world, specifically in Middle Eastern nations. My only critique is of the sub-title: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam. This is really more of a memoir than a point-by-point confronting of Western Liberal ideals. However, she does tell stories of how dangerous and damaging it has been to see people who deem themselves f ...more
Lisa
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a courageous book to write. And such an important message for those of us on the West, especially women. I have worked in Muslim countries with Muslim women and men, and I know I’ve at times tried to understand things through the prism of ‘it’s a cultural practice’, but always with an unease that this book has helped crystallise. Abuse is abuse and all children and women deserve and need protection, and those of us in a position to provide this should work harder at understanding, supportin ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now
  • Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue
  • Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity—and Why This Harms Everybody
  • The End of Gender: Debunking the Myths about Sex and Identity in Our Society
  • Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters
  • The Parasitic Mind: How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense
  • If This Is a Man • The Truce
  • The Camp of the Saints
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)