Start by marking “Just in Case: Twenty-one Bite-sized Stories” as Want to Read:
Just in Case: Twenty-one Bite-sized Stories

Just in Case: Twenty-one Bite-sized Stories

Published September 2019

To ask other readers questions about Just in Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just in Case

Start your review of Just in Case: Twenty-one Bite-sized Stories
O. D. Book Reviews
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a very quick read. Perfect for when you don’t have a lot of time to read or you need to kill a bit of time. These short stories are of regular moments told in a poetic style highlighting the characters’ emotions at the time. The outcomes of the stories are often left up to your imagination. Some of the stories are downright chilling and I enjoyed the ones with a spookier vibe. My favorite of the short stories was probably “Butterflies” which had the most magical feel to it. There is ...more
Pam (Who Cried Books)
Joined the Just In Case Blog Tour organized by Xpresso Book Tours! My review will be up on September 30 on my blog! ...more
T.H. Hernandez
JUST IN CASE was a delightful, fast read, which I finished in just half a day. The stories are short, vivid, and left me wanting more. The author weaves tales using carefully chosen imaginative words that not only set a scene, but get us deep into character point of view. The shortest is just a half a page and the longest was probably less than ten, but the amount of real estate had nothing to do with the reading experience. I devoured each one, then reread it to savor it, to marvel at the autho ...more
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holland's Just in Case is a collection of flash fiction stories. For those who are unfamiliar with this writing style, flash fiction is snapshot writing. Most of the time, these stories are mere paragraphs long, often way shorter than major news stories, some shorter than minor news stories even! The stories in this collection run the gamut from creepy to quaint.

Really, there's a definite talent to writing flash fiction, and writing it well. I've tried my hand at it. I suck. I'll stick to my po
Robin Morgan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I received a signed print copy of this book from the author through the internet and the following is my opinion.
It takes a skilled author, like Laura McHale Holland, to be able to write stories with the brevity she has succeeded to doing for the 21 Flash Fiction [micro] contained in this book. I should know because I’ve already written a book where the vast majority of the 100 stories are only five sentences long.

There’s nothing missing in any of these stories, they’ve got a beginning, a middle
Jasmine
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Just in Case is a collection of 21 stories, but they're all in the vein of flash fiction. Only a few sentences long, the stories can be read in any order you'd like, and only take a matter of minutes to get through. Each one is strange and unique in its own way. Some of the stories weren't really my cup of tea, but they were still okay. Others were weirdly fascinating and mildly dark. Like the title story, Just in Case. Only a handful of sentences long, that ending just kind of slaps you in the ...more
Katheryn Avila
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review as part of the Xpresso blog tour for its release.

This was a very short, but fun read! I’m a huge fan of flash fiction, so when I saw the chance to read a flash fiction compilation, I jumped at it. It’s one of the most difficult writing styles to do well – at least in my opinion – and the author executes it with great skill. Usually with anthologies, I stretch out the reading over a couple of days and take breaks in between pieces.
Just another reader
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a brilliant anthology of Holland's short stories. Bordering on surrealism, the stories are all spunky and packed with a lot of punch. What also struck me was the versatility in the themes. Each story was so vastly different from the others in the theme, the message, the outcomes, that it was hard to imagine that the same mind had conceived all of them. A brilliant piece of work in short. What struck me the most was the visualization in each story. The magical locales that Holland brings ...more
Kari
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, for-review, ipad
Just in Case is a collection of very short stories. The majority of these are one page or less. I read this entire volume in about an hour. As I usually find with most collections, there were some that I was intrigued by and some that didn't work for me. Some of them seemed like they were an idea for a story jotted down, but then were never elaborated on so they were included in here.

A few really stand out in my mind as ones I would want to have be longer. "When She Wakes Up" and "Before" were
Andrea Thompson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, general-fiction
I needed this read! It was such a refreshing change of pace to devour these micro stories. Admittedly, I don't do much short story reading and it was so nice to have these creepy, fantastic, tidy, vivid tales to snack on!

This style is so hard, and she just NAILS it. Each tiny tale packs a full sized punch and her world building is second to none for such compact stories!

Highly recommend this anthology if you need some tiny tales with big impact in your life!
Skye
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a true fan of Laura McHale Holland's writing. She's inventive, fun, sometimes dark, always engaging. This volume is a great choice when you have only ten minutes to read. Check out her other books on Amazon!
Courtney (candidwithcourtney)
rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2019
Oct 13, 2019
Leonie
Jun 03, 2020
Laura McHale Holland
Jul 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

• The Necromancer's Bride (Gaslamp Gothic, #4)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • Lust, Lies and Monarchy: The Secrets Behind Britain’s Royal Portraits
  • Happy Birthday!
  • Polar Bear Postman
  • Dr Herbert West & Astounding Tales of Medical Malpractice
  • Kuma-Kuma Chan's Travels
  • Remember Me, Synthetica
  • The Passengers
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • Ryder On The Storm
  • Amber Hollow
  • A Passport to a Nation of Talking Slugs
  • A Bad Breed (Gaslamp Gothic, #3)
  • Mall
  • The Assassin's Daughter (The Hybrid Chronicles Book 1)
  • Once Upon a Time, Bitches: Design Your Fairytale Life, Control Your Destiny, and Become the Hero in Your Story